Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Puppet Show: The face of Humanity Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 21, 16 12:39 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/21/2016 at 6:36:27 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Puppet Show: The face of Humanity Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by 9otters on Jan 21, 16 1:48 AM
We get to choose whether we play as male or female, and customize our appearance further, with three additional choices.

Collectibles are 12 statuettes of the characters. They're in plain sight so, no challenge there. When collected, you can click on them and get some of the story. Quite a few games have statuettes/figurines to collect, lately. I really don't see their value as a collectible, and will be glad to see Devs come up with something else.

We collect coins to buy things that we need to further our progress. They're actually a little harder to spot than the statuettes, so keep on the lookout. Saves on back-tracking.

Another thing...the tab you choose in the Extras section is labeled "Collections", plural. There is an achievement for finding "the first" DH Wonders poster. Found others after the first one and got no fanfare. I didn't see anything that would indicate that posters are part of any collection...so ?

The part of the Strategy Guide that we are allowed to see, for the demo, did not show collectibles, so, again...?

We can replay 14 mini-games and 19 HOPs, have a strategy guide, achievements, and get a bonus game. Along with the usual CE stuff, that and the statuettes seem to be it, as far as extras go.

The jump map is separated into pages, so if you go there and don't see an active area, you probably just need to check another page.

There are four difficulty levels and a transporting hint. NO alternate game if you're not hot for HOPs.

Spent 40 minutes on the demo. Some of that time was spent checking out the extras. Nothing difficult, or different, as far as the mini-games and HOPs go. Good voice-overs, good graphics...really good in the close-ups.

I'd like to see how the story goes, but if the 65% off sale wasn't still in effect, I'd pass this one by. Everyone is different. This might be the game that trips your fun trigger. If you can, try the demo.

Hope YOU find some fun today. Happy gaming.

Playing on a PC, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. Had no issues. Hope it is the same for you.

Played the main game, plus bonus, and was VERY disappointed. Sorry I spent the $$. SO uninspired. Played like an older game with a bare minimum of ANYTHING that says it is 2016. I was so bored I almost didn't finish. Bonus game story line was all over the place. Listening to that same music, repeating over and OVER...had to turn it off.

Looks like it is goodbye to PuppetShow.

Edited on 01/23/2016 at 3:11:41 PM PST

2dogsx2
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Puppet Show: The face of Humanity Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by 2dogsx2 on Jan 21, 16 2:39 AM
its awesome! a must purchase

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Jan 21, 16 2:48 AM
Hurrah! This feels more like the Puppet Shows of old, not the last couple they turned out which were quite dire!!!
There's even an award for skipping a puzzle! I HATE sliding tiles!!!
A buy for me!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 21, 16 3:06 AM
This is one of my favorite Series. I'm always happy to add another addition to my library with this Series. It always has the best graphics and animation/voice over acting. IMO

I highly recommend this game and I bought it right away.

Give it try for sure...it's worth your time.
Enjoy,
Lisa

Edited on 01/31/2016 at 1:30:57 PM PST

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Jan 21, 16 5:57 AM
I agree. I bought it within minutes.
And am so thrilled with it already.
Lovely, interesting game with just
the right amount of difficulty, and a
skip option if or when I need it!

Happy camper today I am!!!!!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jan 21, 16 6:37 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on PuppetShow: The Face of Humanity Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on PuppetShow: The Face of Humanity Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Jan 21, 16 5:25 PM
I really like the look and feel of this game, although I didn't see anything amazing or new, what they did, they did well. The artwork and voices are superb.

My only worry is length. A 90 minute demo that only takes me 35 minutes to finish usually doesn't bode well for a game that I'm playing for many happy hours once purchased.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 21, 16 7:49 PM
Hi all! Well, we have #8 in this series...yep, got them all. I beta tested this a while back and even though I'm not too keen on the creepy spider puppet/robot, I find myself drawn to this series. The graphics, colors and animation are excellent. Game play was quite good, no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen. Voice overs are well done, with emotion and facial movements. You can click through the dialog if you read faster than they speak. Sound FX are very well done and fit the time, place and what is happening at the time. Music seemed to be the same as in the other 7 games, but I could be wrong.

HOPs were few and far between, but were clean and clear and items were not difficult to find. I didn't see where you could play a different game if you didn't care for the HOPs. I didn't see anything new or exciting in these, pretty much the same as all the others. Puzzles weren't difficult either, but one did take me a bit to complete and I did have to think about it. I didn't see many in the demo either. Hint system is mostly helpful, but it does say to move on if there isn't anything else to be done. I prefer a real hint. The hint will transport to longer locations, but you do a lot of short distance running back and forth for one thing or another. Didn't care much for the very bland jump map, but it was useful getting to a location quickly, and areas of interest are clearly marked.

The only collectibles I found are character statuettes. They don't jump out at you, but they aren't difficult to see either. SG didn't show collectibles, so I don't know if there might be something else or not. This is a little disappointing. You do find coins to use to buy items that are used to complete a task, but I don't really consider those collectibles.

When I beta tested this one, I gave it a 4.75, not because of the story line, but because of the excellent graphics and such, and I will stand on that rating. I don't give 5 stars easily and I don't feel this one qualifies either...needs more collectibles. Devs didn't listen to that suggestion. That being said, I do like this game enough to add it to my collection. It isn't all that challenging, but there is something about it that makes it worth the price of a CE. I think this one will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

emmydog
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by emmydog on Jan 21, 16 9:42 PM
I also beta tested this back in October. My note simply said "excellent". It's a buy for me as I've loved all the Puppet Show games and this one, so far, isn't disappointing. Great graphics, good storyline, that little spider-like puppet...it's all wonderful. As always though, try it for yourself.

I'm running it on Windows 10 64 bit without any problems.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 22, 16 9:57 AM

Has This Salt Lost It's Savor?

The town of Saltsbruck is heavily dependent on its salt mine for jobs and commerce. However, past problems at the mine threatened the town's existence. At the behest of Saltsbruck's mayor, David and Hannah - owners of the DH Wonders company - created mechanical puppets that saved the mine but at the same time put many humans out of work. Now, the mayor's daughter Agnes has gone missing, and you are the detective called in to investigate.

The graphics and artwork are excellently done in a similar style as we would expect from this series (I own all the other Puppetshow games). From the very opening screen and throughout the game we are introduced to all sorts of mechanical devices as well as puppets.

The music is reminiscent of the earlier games but thankfully avoids repeating the now all-too-familiar tunes. Voices are average - the acting is fine but there are too many moments when inflection is off. There are four levels of difficulty and a transportable map.

While the scenes are well rendered, there are few actionable areas in each one. During my play of the demo, I kept getting the feeling that the game was "stripped down." In each scene I was expecting more to do, but was always disappointed. The actions that are available are very straightforward, so while hidden object scenes and mini-games are well designed, they are disappointingly simple to solve. Likewise, the adventure component is minimal as your next steps are always very obvious and choices very limited.

This collector's edition includes replay of the 14 mini-games and 19 hidden object scenes. There are also 12 character statuettes to collect, a strategy guide and the usual other stuff.

The missing child story line is nothing new, and neither is the ubiquitous "mysterious hooded stranger" character. On it's own, the game is OK especially if you are a beginning player. However, as the latest in a (some say declining) series, I can only give it three grains of salt and that may not be enough to preserve it.

[Post New]by gnadenlos_GER on Jan 23, 16 5:35 AM
I finished the main game, so it is possible to solve the game in its current state (Windows 10 + nVidia GTX900-series).

The (minor) problems I experienced were:

1. The achievement and collection area concealed the the text on the black text bar 1-2 times. (2560x1440, 16:9)

2. The game still told me that a monkey needs his cymbals, after I gave them to him. In that scene the game changes from HOG to normal gameplay for the first and only time in the game, so it seams like you are stuck - but if you ignore the wrong message about the cymbals you can solve the scene.

3. You have to use a mouse on a crow/raven and the spot you have to click is too small - so I had to use the strategy guide, because i I tried the solution already and thought it doesn't work.

4. After changing scenes or during popup-animations the game slowed down for a moment on my high end gaming system - it's definitely possible to optimize the code to do those simple animations more fluently on my system (6-Core-Intel-CPU, GTX980ti, 32GB RAM, SSD), so I grade this behavior as minor problem. If it behaves like that on a high end system, it will be a problem on weaker systems too. Maybe it's a problem specific to Windows 10, but I doubt it.

The game is quite easy and the HOGs are even easier. Only two of the puzzles took me some time to solve, because I'm not very experienced in sliding puzzles.

I didn't need the hint system once in advanced mode, but I had to do some random clicking on two HOGs. That's not very consistent for a game that has very easy and large objects everywhere else.

The story was ok, but not very deep or surprising.

It's hard to judge the length, because I haven't played many HOPA games, but it felt somewhat short compared to older games I played - mainly because of the low level of difficulty.

I didn't experience any new elements or surprises.

The game has very few achievements (no achievements for speed or precision) and some of them even force you to "play bad" (skip cutscenes, use skip). I didn't find any morphing objects and the collectibles are about 10 statues (very easy to spot).

With my little experience in HOPA games, it's hard to compare and judge the game, but I'm sure this is not a 1,2 or 5 star game - so I would rate it with 3-4 stars. In benefit of the doubt I will give the game 4 stars, but I guess that it's to average and boring for experienced players. If you are looking for a challenge don't buy the game.

Edited on 01/23/2016 at 5:52:21 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 23, 16 6:08 AM
This is an excellent game. I love the steampunk artwork anyway, and really enjoy playing this game. Excellent graphics and animation.
I own all the games in the series and like them all, but especially loved the last 2 games. And they are getting better and better.

Well done, ERS.

ETA: I play the game on Win7, and have no problems with it.

Edited on 01/23/2016 at 6:09:06 AM PST

[Post New]by gnadenlos_GER on Jan 23, 16 8:35 AM
I finished the bonus chapter now. The bonus chapter shows the origins and is quite long.

The puzzles and HOGs were more complex than in the main game, so I enjoyed them more.

The bonus chapter allows you to play some puzzles in casual or hard mode. It wasn't too hard or time consuming to solve them in hard mode.

I had to use the strategy guide once in the bonus chapter, because I missed the golden earring.

After playing the main game I was unsure if the game deserves 4 stars, because it felt average and a little bit too short - with the bonus chapter it's a solid 4 star game in my opinion.

I wouldn't recommend to buy the standard edition - you are missing the best part of the game.

PS: Play with me!

Edited on 01/23/2016 at 8:43:05 AM PST

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Jan 23, 16 9:22 AM
Really disappointed with this game, I have all the others and love them, often replaying but I didn't quite get this. Had trouble with the hint it was an inch off the spot and some things were covered by the text at the sides. Also found the map awkward but after reading other reviews it might be me using it wrong. I will buy as don't like to be beaten and there is a sale but seems like another series bites the dust.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Jan 23, 16 11:51 AM
JayTeeLine wrote:I agree. I bought it within minutes.
And am so thrilled with it already.
Lovely, interesting game with just
the right amount of difficulty, and a
skip option if or when I need it!

Happy camper today I am!!!!!

I agree, this is wonderful game. I love the puppets and the animation. Bought it w/out trying it first and I"m not sorry. Thanks dev for a great Satuday

[Post New]by Hamish_MacEwan on Jan 23, 16 11:34 PM
Continues on the leading edge of value for money. If it can be cost effectively shot, that's how it's done. And that gives resources to more effort in other areas. That's a tricky balance at any time as players and designers interact in these games and reviews.

I think it's awesome, luxuriant and vivid. Not to all tastes but there's never been a bad Puppetshow in my experience. YMMV.

[Post New]by issthereauser on Jan 24, 16 5:12 AM
I hate this game. The hints are crazy wrong and navigation is so frustrating. I'm stuck in the HOP trying to find the monkey's cymbal and of course the hint button is useless. I wish I had know about all the quirks before purchasing.

crgriff58
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by crgriff58 on Jan 24, 16 3:31 PM
Not happy with the game at all. Too many glitches. For number 8 its very disappointing. Fix it please. Other wise, I want a different game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 24, 16 6:42 PM
I have finished the game, and I encountered no glitches.

This was a very good game. The HOS were varied and fun, and you had to put your thinking cap on from time to time, in order to solve some of the interactive parts.

I loved everything about this game, and hope to see another one.

--- --- ---

ETA: For the monkey's cymbal: get the fly and use it on the venus flytrap. It will then close up, and you can see the cymbal it had covered previously.

Edited on 01/24/2016 at 6:53:59 PM PST

Go to: