cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Echoes of the Past: Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by cche on Nov 29, 09 1:28 AM
I don't see that the Biggest Fish have made this, so I will.

I have played it for most of an hour, and am quite pleased.
The story design seems VERY similar to Princess Isabella: A Witch's Curse. but the game design is more similar to MCF: Return to Ravenhurst.

Music is good, not too repetitive so far, as fairly soothing. Graphics are clean, and interesting to look at.

H O screens are junkpile, but with good consistency with the story (plastic playing pieces aside). I found myself using one hint per screen with most hints not leaving me feeling like I should have found the item.

Easier puzzles and more guidance than in RTR, hence a much shorter play I think.
Based on a glance at the walkthrough, my 53 minutes is about a third of the game, though I won't be able to confirm that tonight.

Edited to add:
Just finished the game, a bit more than 3 and a half hours. I am well satisfied. Even the rather silly teaser for a sequel (entirely unnecessary) didn't irritate me.

7 of 10

Edited on 12/30/2009 at 12:52:47 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Echoes of the Past: Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by biomix on Nov 29, 09 7:52 AM
Love this game!
Like the fact that I have to go backwards and forwards in the game. It's a challenge and stimulates the brain (especially mine) as I have a very very bad sense of direction.
Love the graphics. Not too dark. We are in an old castle after all. Played 30 minutes and was hooked.
Once I got past the locked door(slider puzzle) I figured I could handle the game without having to refer to the walkthrough all the time. A pet peeve.
It's a game that I will take my time with and I'm sure will last me hours and hours.
Thank you BigFish. You never fail to disappoint.
One more thing. Love the hint system. Have to find mirrors in scenes to get more hints. I've got 11 so far which is plenty.
The game runs smoothly. No jerkiness.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 29, 09 8:15 AM
I played the demo and I wasn't happy to see yet another HOG. Why in the heck can't these developers come up with new games that don't always have to include a hidden object part???? I think I may have bought this game if not for the HOG parts. I see no reasoning in having to have this in so many games. I know alot of players enjoy HOGs but I for one, am kinda sick and tired of them, sorry BF.
I just want to veer off topic here for a minute if I could. I watched the movie ANGELS AND DEMONS last night and after the movie I thought, wouldn't it be brilliant if some developer made a game from this movie. If it was made right, without a HOG section, but if they followed the storyline and keep it fun but realistic, I would love to play that.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Nov 29, 09 9:13 AM
This game is enchanting and beautiful scenes, challenging rooms - the trial time went so fast - we had to buy it! Just realized we've been playing over 3 hours. Yes it is a HOG but there is so much more to it that the HOG scenes just kind of fit in and didn't take up much of the time. Plus there are unusual things you have to do to find one clue - which makes it fun! So many rooms, puzzles, and things to find and fit in that it is really intriguing! The games are a mixed bag of challenges - very creative. Some objects are a bit small or a little dark for my mom's 82 year old eyes - but she is really enjoying the game as well. Definitely suggest this as a buy - lucky I'd saved my game credit for Dire but will use it for December. BFG - loves it when my mom comes to visit - I bought 10 games this month! Lunch and back to the game!! There is a walk through if you really really get stuck or are in a hurry. Don't forget to check your journal for clues on what to do next!

Edited on 11/29/2009 at 9:16:33 AM PST

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Nov 29, 09 9:19 AM
This game is much like RTR in that you have to suffer through the HOG parts to get to the puzzles and interactive stuff! I kind of suffered through Ravenhearst just to get the door puzzles, because, like you, Hannah, I don't see why every adventure game has to have HOG elements, other than that they are so popular. Or that they "fill time". Typically, you have to find 20 objects in order to get the "key" object.

Personally, I would like to see the "straight" HOGs or HOGs with minigames kept to the HOG genre, and the "adventure/interactive" HOGs weaned of most of the hidden objects and injected with more adventure. Call them "casual adventures". I think a lot of people who started with HOGs have graduated, as it were, to more adventure stuff, and are tired of HOGs.

I started with Large File Adventures when they were on floppies, LOL. You had to change floppies along the way. I got into HOGs after I started casual gaming because they were different, but never stopped preferring adventures. I still enjoy some of the straight HOGs if they have a good story and good graphics, but I am picky now.

Like RTR, though, I think this one has enough action between the HOG scenes to keep most of us happy. Sorry that you didn't like it. I think it is a great game, and not easy. Still looking for a way to pick up the seeds...

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Nov 29, 09 9:36 AM
This game 'splits the difference' quite nicely for me! I'm bored with the plain old H.O. games but don't like the LF and all the wandering aimlessly in the hope I might find something!

With this you do need to retrace your steps - but never too far - and the H.O. scenes are partially interactive!

A great game all round!

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Nov 29, 09 9:44 AM
I agree with you phatkhat, been playing adventure since Zork, and prefer adventure games and only the past couple of years starting casual gaming. I pretty much don't even demo straight HOG's anymore, I really like the puzzles or mini-games especially if they aren't just matching things.

This game is pretty challenging, took me a few minutes to understand how the door slider worked in order to solve it. I was just finding the stairs that appear to be the beginning of chapter 2, but looking over chapter one in the blog walkthrough, I haven't done everything in chapter1. It seems to be a nice length to the game, has HOG scenes, and interactive parts and adventure wandering to and fro. It is a lot like RTR in how it works, but totally different story, middle ages type story.

I think this is the one to complete my Novemberfest, it was a really enjoyable hour to demo this one.

ciscaR8
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by ciscaR8 on Nov 29, 09 9:54 AM
maybe its because my english isn good enough, but i find this a difficult game

[Post New]by Moo_the_Gamer on Nov 29, 09 10:29 AM
Great game! Kinda short but still worth it. I finished it in about 4 1/2 hours.

jewbaby
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by jewbaby on Nov 29, 09 10:58 AM
We Beta tested this game a while back, and I didn't remember till we started playing this sample. lol We were sad when we got thrown out of our Beta test, so are happy that BF decided to release it. Thanks BF for listening to your testers. It's always a treat when something comes along that one liked but had forgotten about. Got to stop this insane purchasing pretty soon lol. playing on forever,,,,,

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 29, 09 11:07 AM
Really like this game. The artwork is beautiful and it's not overly easy but not too difficult. Others have done a good job describing the details of gameplay. A definite buy for me.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 29, 09 11:08 AM
OMG!!! It says it's a fantasy realm but it looks totally medieval! I am all come over unnecessary & d/l posthaste.....this best be good!

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Nov 29, 09 11:08 AM
I like this game, bought without a demo and am not disappointed.
Hidden objects are findable, no black on black items,
just enough to be challenging.
Hint system is OK,
Used the walkthrough only for finding out where to go next.
(I do get lost a lot)
Right now is break time, I am in the kitchen and cannot get
the barrel away from the door. Whatever I do, it always rolls back.

out of five.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Nov 29, 09 11:11 AM
Enjoyed the heck out of this game. Took my time while putzing house chores and completed it within three hours. Would have been closer to two but laundry, dishes, and floors were done in-between. I feel I got my value out of this game regardless of how little or long it may have taken. I was having fun.

But to be continued?! ARGH!!! How much longer?

Definately out of five stars from me.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Nov 29, 09 11:49 AM
Ditto to all the good reviews. Great graphics, the best I've seen in a long time. More than a HOG -- HOs, mini-games, interaction. The developer(s) were very creative with this game. The mini-games are different from any that I've seen. I couldn't wait to see what they did with the next mini-game in the game.

"Me Pros" -- Great art work, mini-games are creative and just challenging enough to keep my interest. I looked forward to the next one. What makes this game stand out from other interactive/HOGs is the thought put into the mini-games and the interaction. You have to use your grey matter just a little to figure out what goes with what -- loved it. HOs are just "hard" enough to make the game challenging. You get 10 hints to start, then you can find 2 mirrors in the **** scenes to add to you hints. Hints are generous.

"Me Don't Like So Much" -- Like Smallhaven, I have enough trouble finding my directions around town, so keeping track of where to go is not my favorite thing to do, so I "hate cheating" by using the walkthrough to keep track of where to go, but, I do it anyway .

"Me Bottomline" -- It gets my approval , I'm waitng until tomorrow to see what comes out. I have one more purchase to make to make my 9 for the NovemberFest. This is on my purchase list. Tomorrow or free credit!! Gotta go, back to work!!!

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Nov 29, 09 12:26 PM
I was quite surprised at this game. Great graphics, sound, some original mini games and the length was good.

I actually went back into game to see who made it. Keep them coming!

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Nov 29, 09 12:53 PM
only did the one hour demo, and bought it, haven't played more since purchase but in my hour demo, no tech probs so don't expect any, great graphics, music works with the scenes, earning extra hints by finding mirrors works good, haven't used any yet and have i think 16, good thing i may need em later lol!

main reason i like untimed games is so i can take my time and enjoy the scenery, instead of rushing thru to beat the clock i can sit and appreciate the artwork, and this game has it they did a great job with graphics ~

also like to work the brain cells and try try try to do everything without going to a walkthrough or using hints, which is why in my hour demo i am only about half way thru the first chapter (i did sneak a peek at walkthru just long enuf to see where i was in the game!)

so ... if all chapters roughly equal in length and difficulty, i'm looking at about 12 hours of game play in total, yippeeeeee i'll be enjoying this for a week

thnx

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Nov 29, 09 1:27 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this game. Very much like Pricess Isabelle.

Look forward to the continuation of this adventure.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Nov 29, 09 1:32 PM

Sunny, did you ever find a way to get the barrel away from the door?

I am having the same problem and stuck in the kitchen and can't get out also.

Heeeeelp!

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Nov 29, 09 2:09 PM

Finally got the barrel unstuck and otta that kitchen, keep on clicking and clicking the barrel. Stop and click again. Thanks Margie B.

Go to: