karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

G2 - Geeks Unleashed Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by karolyneb on Nov 30, 09 1:02 PM
I am starting a new thread for this - many folks have commented on the game but I have not yet seen an objective review.

Overall, I really like the challenge of it and will be buying it today. The game does have some drawbacks, though - see below:

Nutshell review:
The good - innovative, unique gameplay and challenging AI
The bad - AI a little too good in early levels (please ease us into things, ok?), confusing instructions, could use an 'easy' difficulty level, annoying characters

Who will like this: folks who like chess and strategy games, folks who like a challenge
Who will hate this: folks who are looking to play games to relax

G2 is a perfect example of the diversity in the M3 category - even more so than HOGs (hidden object games with minimal plot and no puzzles) and IHOGs (plot heavy hidden object games with puzzle elements). This is a pure strategy game - the only matching involved is to collect the required number of pieces - and has as much in common with Bejeweled as Monopoly does with Tic Tac Toe.

As many folks have noted, it really does take quite a bit of time for the game to click. It also takes quite a bit of thought and strategy to block the AI from getting the pieces it needs. As others have noted, it can look like the player is going to win in the next turn ... until the AI grabs the piece it needs and snatches the victory form your grasp. The game AI seems to be much "smarter" than the typical casual game AI. The ability to select difficulty levels would really improve the game.

Edited on 11/30/2009 at 2:15:04 PM PST

bfgEuphrates
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,152 Posts

Re:G2 Review

[Post New]by bfgEuphrates on Nov 30, 09 2:14 PM
Hi karolyneb,

Thanks for coming back and reviewing this title! Since this game went out before we were posting reviews in the forums, it doesn't have a full review thread just yet - so I went ahead and stickied this thread and made it the official review thread for G2 - Geeks Unleashed. Just a heads up!

Thanks again!

bfgEuphrates

le_warner
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Re:G2 - Geeks Unleashed Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by le_warner on Nov 30, 09 5:54 PM
Hi all,

I also tried the game and I like it alot.

I'm not sure why it is in the match 3 catagory because it is not a match 3 game.

I like logic games and this one is fun but not nearly as tricky as chess. I found the instructions fairly clear and straightforward. I played the first 4 levels and had no trouble beating my opponent. I do think it has replay value if you enjoy this type of game.

The only drawback to me, is that the game was made a few years ago and is not a sophisticated as games are now. Also it may be a little short, but I'm really not sure how many levels there are.

I can say it is worth a try. I did buy the game at the reduced price.

wrath6
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wrath6 on Nov 30, 09 6:59 PM
Hi,

I was not going to purchase this game at first because it was not a HOG, but i needed one more game for Novemberfest and i figured it was only 2.99 if i didnt like it. But i find this game to be enjoyable and challenging, you have to plan your moves a few steps ahead. I will be branching out from HOG's if i can locate more challenging games like this.

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Nov 30, 09 8:00 PM
cll1950,

Your various posts on this game encouraged me to download, and I ended up buying it.

Very different, and I enjoy it a lot!

Thanks to everyone else for their positive posts, too....

mlinville
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by mlinville on Dec 2, 09 4:35 PM
I don't know if I have a different game than the others, but I have played and played and can't get anywhere. I played quick for 2-3 hours. I have won game after game but cannot unlock any other player than the woman and wiz. How do you unlock other players? I have played story and reached the 2nd level. I have again played for hours. I received many gold boxes, as many as 4 in 1 game. I have won 20 out of 25 games, but I still can't get to the 3rd level. They say it is easy to understand. I have not found it so. It is addictive and I enjoy it, but it is frustrating to not be able to go on. Please answer. I am tired of posting and not receiving an answer.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Dec 2, 09 10:41 PM
I'm about 2/3's the way through the game now and I love it. when I finish I'll start again and see if I can get all the bonuses. It's more challenging than I thought it woul be.
mlinville - I'm not sure what the problem might be just from reading your post.
I'll copy your post and start a new game tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.
I hope that someone much smarter than I can help you figure it out first. It's so hard to relate when you're not playing. I've only played the story mode so far.
If your luck changes let us know. Take care.

mlinville
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by mlinville on Dec 3, 09 10:34 AM
Please forgive me. I have been an idiot. I have been pressing on the star and not the flag I thought I had pressed the flag to no avail, but I was wrong. Sorry. I do enjoy it. It is addictive.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Dec 3, 09 11:43 AM
mlinville wrote:Please forgive me. I have been an idiot. I have been pressing on the star and not the flag I thought I had pressed the flag to no avail, but I was wrong. Sorry. I do enjoy it. It is addictive.

So glad to hear you have it. You are not an idiot. Things in so many games are not always clear. If you're playing and winning as often as you do, I'd say you're pretty smart. Have fun!
Carol

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 4, 10 11:03 PM
I've owned this game for awhile. I've tended to get bored with it before reaching more than about half-way thru the levels. It's unique though, and somewhat challenging in that thinking a few moves ahead is advantageous.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Feb 17, 11 11:08 AM
I never was any good at chess, and I never touch those battlefield games my husband likes, so I'm surprised I liked this enough to buy it. As my husband would say, "it's a lot of grief for only 2.99!" Joking aside, it is a game with a definite difference, which is what I always search for. I find the characters mildly annoying, and the game play surprisingly difficult, since thinking several moves ahead is not my strength (I can do 3 maybe). I have made it to the third opponent. Even if I never get further, I got my 299 cents' worth.

Before you reject this game because you can't figure out how to play it: think of it as combining offensive and defensive strategy. Try to deny the opponent the pieces needed or at least any important multipliers. Try to suck the opponent into grabbing a piece that opens a good row for you. Try (near the end) to force the opponent to break sets because nothing else is available. Oh and then there is the surprise ending (I did this only once!) -- force the opponent into a row or column with nothing in it. Instant win.

Go to: