Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Gardens Inc. 4: Blooming Stars Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 30, 16 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/30/2016 at 9:05:59 AM PST

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Gardens Inc. 4: Blooming Stars Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jan 30, 16 7:30 AM
I only have one of the other Gardens Inc. games and do not even have it loaded on the GM. This one looks more promising if you like planting flowers. Great graphics, you can chain assignments or unclick to reassign to another chore. Has a SG under the ? mark inside the level that will tell you exactly what to do. Most important to me it has a relaxed mode that doesn't show any timer on screen. Cannot comment about music as I didn't have the sound on. There is a lot of chatting between the characters at the beginning of each level and a baby room that you are supposed to fix up with gold that you have gotten on each level. After due consideration I am going to buy this game. It's cheerful and we all need a little comic relief in our life.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Gardens Inc. 4: Blooming Stars Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jan 30, 16 9:04 AM
I earned a gold star in Normal mode for the first three levels and found the subsequent mole. I did not spot any treasure chest yet, but was informed by the Guide that they are not in all of the levels. Some new features like Hang Gliding were nicely animated. The game is not time management, but collecting resources and building, so it fits well in the Strategy category. I don't know what benefit the Collector's Edition warrants at double the price for a few bonus levels and a guide containing enough grammatical errors to sink the Titanic.

If you enjoy collecting resource and building games which appear quite frequently these days, than I would recommend waiting for the Standard edition next month.

Edited on 01/30/2016 at 10:36:45 AM PST

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Jan 30, 16 9:05 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Gardens Inc. 4: Blooming Stars Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Gardens Inc. 4: Blooming Stars Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jan 30, 16 10:00 AM
This game is in BFG's Strategy category, but I find it IS also a time management game, if you choose so. (Dunno why this opinion seems to spread lately, that Builder games aren't TM, just because they aren't Dash games only.)
The Guide explains very well, and I noticed it as a LOT of helpful stuff, in the intro part, that you reach from the Extras menu (in levels, it jumps to the level hints). As I have to play games with huge breaks in between, I love it, when I can look up the basics easily, like here. The guide also explains the differences between the 3 modes. F.e., the expert mode offers less time, and you can't play on when the time runs out. In Normal you can play on, and well, relaxed is relaxed.
Yes, there are some mistakes in writing, but IMO minor stuff, as it's understandable - even for a foreigner like me - and w/o totally wrong words, as in some HO lists.
The Garden Inc games [can] become quite challenging, as I recall. They also [try to] deliver a story, coherent per se and in connection with the former games and/but you can click through the conversations, if not interested. Had to laugh, though, when she mentioned she had married a 10 YO

What I liked in the Kid's room (which you can furnish with the level results) is that you can decide new about the choices w/o having to pay again. Some more lovely details like that are there to make the game more entertaining and fun.

Edited on 01/30/2016 at 10:07:59 AM PST

Kacey5
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Kacey5 on Jan 30, 16 11:51 AM
Cute, colorful, fun game. It has a relaxed no-timer mode for those that like the option. Don't think it's worth the CE price. I will wait for a half price sale or for the SE release and use a PCC.

[Post New]by mellowtraumatic on Jan 30, 16 2:52 PM
_DD_ wrote:This game is in BFG's Strategy category, but I find it IS also a time management game, if you choose so. (Dunno why this opinion seems to spread lately, that Builder games aren't TM, just because they aren't Dash games only.)

I have to agree. I don't see how this isn't a TM game. You have to perform certain level goals in an allotted time in order to advance, just like any other TM. A builder/strategy game that isn't a TM would be something like Promised Land, for example.

Anyway, great little game. If you've played the other Gardens, Inc games then you know what to expect. So far this one is really no different than the others. Everything has worked well. The furnishings in the baby's room are nice and the story is entertaining.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Jan 30, 16 3:57 PM
I have been a Gardens, Inc. fan since the very first game. The games have always been challenging and innovative and getting all of the trophies, as well as breaking the developer's records on all the levels, has always been a driving goal with competitive TM players.

But now it appears the devs have yielded to some force (or farce) and decided to totally trash the game. The regular stuff is still there, but now we've added gophers as a requisite for everyone (but mostly for the amusement of those players who have the time to look for them) and added a bar timer that is so small that it's size can only be taken as direct contempt to TM players. The primary screen has been re-arranged in such a way that the announcement banner always interferes with the play field, and at times it covers the truck which is an absolute no-no.

This, and other things, makes me wonder who in the world Beta tested this game? Were they all non-TM players? I purchased this game, but I'm asking for my money back, because this is the single biggest disappointment of my life as a TM player. I can't believe this game has been made into this type of farce. I've purchased and played each one prior to this and gotten every trophy and helped others in playing the previous games as well. This is just dreadful. I noticed that there is a new developer in the mix now and I'm wondering if this entity is the cause.

I'm so sorry, but as someone who as played the first 3 with much enthusiasm and admiration, I'm so disappointed in just the basic game play and set up of this one. I can handle changes, but only if they represent something good for the game as a whole. I played through the first 20 levels and my opinion is

Edited on 01/30/2016 at 5:06:25 PM PST

[Post New]by TripleTown on Jan 30, 16 5:00 PM
_DD_ wrote:This game is in BFG's Strategy category, but I find it IS also a time management game, if you choose so. (Dunno why this opinion seems to spread lately, that Builder games aren't TM, just because they aren't Dash games only.)

Strategy is the correct category. The Delicious series is a Time Management game. As someone else said, putting a timer on a game does not make it a TM. Many games have timers. For example: A Match-3 game. They are not Time Management games. Neither is the Gardens Inc. I'm happy Big Fish put it in the correct category for a change.

[Post New]by NelaMarker on Jan 30, 16 5:12 PM
_DD_ wrote:Dunno why this opinion seems to spread lately, that Builder games aren't TM, just because they aren't Dash games only.

It's very important that a game be put in the correct genre. I missed a good hidden object game in the past because Big Fish has put in in the wrong category.

Your entitled to your opinion, but if you Google the definition of "what is a Time Management game" you will get the following:

Time management games are a genre of video game focused around fast real time allocation of resources in a consequent order to fulfill the level objectives. The player must react to the incoming requests that occur as they play and serve them in the most effective manner to get the greatest possible reward.

In these types of games, the goals are always set for you in the beginning. So you are not reacting to incoming requests or serving anyone. Gardens Inc. is not a Time Management game. Strategy games have a broader definition and although it can fit into that genre, I think they need to come up with a new sub-category for these particular types of games.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Jan 30, 16 6:23 PM
The furnishings in the baby's room are nice and the story is entertaining.

I disagree. The wood flooring isn't bad, but the wall papers are atrocious. I'd never have such hideous choices in my home. I chose the pink because it was the least eye-hurting.

Edited on 01/30/2016 at 6:24:36 PM PST

[Post New]by AutumnTaylor on Jan 30, 16 7:01 PM
NelaMarker wrote:I think they need to come up with a new sub-category for these particular types of games.

Hi Nela Marker,

I totally agree! Resource Management would be a perfect title for this type of game.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 31, 16 8:33 AM
I see another developers name is now in the mix for this latest game in the series; perhaps that explains the odd spelling and phrasing in the Strategy Guide, as well as the changes that have been made. And I can't say I like the changes; I thought the game was absolutely perfect as it was in the first 3 episodes. I suppose nothing stays the same but I wish this game had.

Still, it's one of my favourite types of game, which I have always referred to as Time Management and will continue to do so, regardless of what Wikipedia or anyone else says. And since Wikipedia can be altered by everyone and anyone who feels like bothering, who's to say it's right? It's not infallible.

I preferred doing up the house/preparing for the wedding in the other games. The poor, unfortunate baby who has to sleep in this room will have nightmares if the decor choices are anything to go by. Unless you choose 'boy blue' or 'girl pink' (and Jill says they don't know), you're left with a hideous shade of green wallpaper and furnishings that no-one in their right mind would have in their house

For the most part, this plays much the same as the previous games, although I'm not sure having a pregnant woman flying about on a hang-glider is a good idea. But Jill doesn't actually look as though she's expecting; if we hadn't been told we wouldn't know. The graphics are very clear and bright as always and the built in SG shows you the flower patterns if you can't figure them out. Not keen on finding the moles; the idea has already been used in the 'Delicious' series and they're very easy to miss.

As there is a sale, I will add this to my Gardens Inc. collection. Not the best in the series by a long way but better than most others in this category....whatever it's called

ETA: No technical issues on (9 year old!) desktop running Win7 Pro 64-bit.

Edited on 01/31/2016 at 8:36:43 AM PST

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Jan 31, 16 5:01 PM
Would "timed/strategy" be an acceptable description to replace "time management?" In most if not all of these games, collecting and utilizing resources goes without saying, it's the core of the game.

[Post New]by moray15 on Feb 4, 16 6:29 PM
I am most happy with Garden Inc. 4. So many positive changes. There is more than one place to look for info you need. I am particularly happy with the relaxed mode option. I use these games as therapy for visual acuity, memory and manual dexterity. Most helpful for anxiety and being a home bound person. The banner on each level shows the mole,chests and coins. The tasks in photo form make it much easier, there is so much to make me happy. And that cute little mole, what a riot. The only rather non positive feedback I have is after each level is completed the scene changes too quickly, I think it would be nice to be able to enjoy the artwork and efforts for a bit longer. There is much to appreciate in the development and artwork. Thanks for the lovely product you put forth. Maybe you could go back and recalibrate the first 3 games for the difficulty options. Bright Blessings !

Edited on 02/04/2016 at 6:31:08 PM PST

[Post New]by nefret22222 on Feb 5, 16 9:34 AM
Loved the first 3 versions. I play them at least once a month. But this one is not challenging enough. It was maybe 3 levels that I had to try even twice to get the gold. I missed the mini games with the burglar alarms and gates. The coin games are not calibrated to be able to get to $100,000 if you really work it The rafts won't come in to the dock in time.
Why did they dumb it down? The challenge is the thing. I was so happy to see it appear and pretty disappointed in the play. The extra game I thought I was purchasing was not worth the doubled price. These are the type of games I depend on to literally get me thru a tough pain day because they take up all my concentration in order to beat the clock. Games like this, the Timebuilders series, Garden Rescue, most tower games and Adelentado are the only types of games that really exercise the little gray cells and delight the eye and heart. Those little bursts of joy when you beat the dev record or get the gold time on a tough level are nice, but having something that builds over time and makes you think of twelve things at once and 5 steps ahead are what I really want and need. HOG's just lead you by the hand down a predetermined path with very little variation or innovation other than a few good mousetrap type mini games that don't give explicit rules or instructions.
This is playable, but will not be in my top ten like the first 3 games are. However, it does seem like BFG is listening to us in that there are a little more of these games for sale and a little less of the HOG and Match 3 games. Good trend!

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Feb 6, 16 6:06 PM
Graphics are terrific, aren't they? Don't know if anyone else was experiencing severe lag in the previous ones but that's over and out. This game plays perfectly on Windows 10, something that partially makes up for the ones that ain't caught up yet.

kszanz
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by kszanz on Feb 11, 16 11:12 AM
I consider myself an intermediate player, and I have to say that I consider this one of the more difficult series. I do, however, enjoy it enough to purchase it each time. I also have to say that this one is the easiest of all of them for which I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to get gold on all levels except one in the levels included in the first group (non-CE) and all but two levels in the extra group (CE). Even with the walkthroughs, I can't seem to get gold. Oh well, I did get hours of fun; so to me, it was worth it.

patreids
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by patreids on Feb 20, 16 7:12 AM
I have always really enjoyed the Gardens, Inc. games and wish there were more like it. HOWEVER, I really, really wish that ALL games would hire someone who can check the grammar and spelling. The game overview, for example has so many mistakes it is difficult for me to get over. This type of sloppiness in most games would stop me from buying them.

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

[Post New]by elizaew on Mar 6, 16 6:04 AM
I paid for the collectors edition of this game but an very DISAPPOINTED that the "help" guide has such tiny text and even tinier tinier visual that I literally cannot see the information I need. I can read the text but it is hard and laid out badly. But the visual of the screen???? I cannot see it well enough. Sorry that I'm not 20 years old anymore. But really? I have never seen a help guide that is this small. What were they thinking?

It also annoys the heck out of me that before I begin playing a level, I have to click three times - first to get rid of the story line, then to get ride of the goals, then to get rid of some sort of instruction. This gets very annoying when replaying a level.

Lastly, they constantly cover the truck or other production shed or tool table with their instruction/comment banners.

Very annoying!

Go to: