carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

Re:Jewel Quest Mysteries: Trail of the Midnight Heart - Reviews

[Post New]by carolinacat on Dec 2, 09 7:49 AM
Let me preface by saying I like BFG and I always loved Jewel Quest games.

But...when I went to buy the game, I wanted to use and I chose the option to use a game credit. Instead, I got charged another $6.99 out of my account for the game.

Then it took a LONG time to download with broadband, about an hour.

I finally started the game and now it won't play in anything but windowed mode! I clicked the option for Full Screen and it still stays windowed mode. I ended the game and started again and the option stays unclicked whether I click it or not. I didn't want to play any game in windowed mode since my eyesight is not great to begin with.

I'm very disappointed that I was hasty and bought a game (not even getting to use a credit) with no demo to try it first.

I'll still try and play the game because I might end up liking the gameplay but I won't buy another game without a demo. I'll try it from another site first.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 2, 09 8:13 AM
Wow. This is what IW calls a "Premium game"?

I am very glad I did not pay premium price for this and I am very glad I did the demo on the aforementioned much loathed but occasionally used game distributor because there are many, many aspects that make this a nooooo for me.

No Relaxed Mode

Blurry Hidden Object Scenes. Are you kidding me? At nearly 300MB and still blurry?

Reeeeally slow loading.

Very stingy hints. (yes, I know upgradable but still stingy)

Time off on 3 wrong clicks in a row?! AND a picky cursor. I clicked on a "Tibetan bell" twice before it took.

Side scrolling Hidden Object scenes just annoying and on my system did not work properly.

A return to already played Hidden Scene within... like 4 scenes? If like the previous JQM this is a typical pattern. Many many returns to the same places and objects don't change.

The one thing I liked in the past about the Jewel Quest series is they had really well developed stories. I don't know if this did because the demo was just 1/2 hour so I did not read. I assume, since nothing else much was new, this would stay true and be the single bright spot.

So, for me, a decided

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 2, 09 12:57 PM
I have downloaded it on another gamesite for trying and I don`t like it. It has a timer, like poodle said, which I hate. The graphic is bad, no interesting story. I hope the next hog is better.

darkstarr
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by darkstarr on Dec 2, 09 1:04 PM
I don't understand why no one cares for this game. I bought if from iwin, played the trial there, I am a BF customer and feel guilty about that. Just loved it so and could,nt find it here.Do not like their site and won't return, anyway this a long game, no problems downloading, it is a HOG with a match three after each level.

That helps break the game up. Beautiful graphics I have windows XP. The timer you can freeze after you collect jewels , you can also buy hints and other special helpful
things. I think it is a great buy for the price. Love the tropical atmosphere, has great replay value and good story line.

I am on my second go around, the hidden objects are not hard to find, music I play with sound off, but is fine.

So to me a good deal and worth the 6.99.

Just my opinion, off to play.

Edited on 12/02/2009 at 1:05:47 PM PST

lcoogan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by lcoogan on Dec 2, 09 4:10 PM
I love jewel quest, the graphics and music are great. This newest one isn't quite as good as the others. My fav will always be jq 2- I love the fact that you can play against other people. If'd I'd have had a free hours play I probably wouldn't have purchased this jewel quest tho.

darkstarr
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by darkstarr on Dec 2, 09 7:52 PM
lcoogan wrote:I love jewel quest, the graphics and music are great. This newest one isn't quite as good as the others. My fav will always be jq 2- I love the fact that you can play against other people. If'd I'd have had a free hours play I probably wouldn't have purchased this jewel quest tho.

Loved JQ-2 also , playing against others is fun, they always beat me most of the time ha ha .
Glad someone else liked this game.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Dec 2, 09 7:52 PM
If some of u r having trouble getting the game to work properly or, r having trouble downloading, try downloading Microsoft's Direct X.
Now, I am sorry I purchased this game. The explanation of the game sounded good but, there is no trial. I don't usually purchased this way and should not have.
It is boring, predictable, and doesn't challange the player at all.

[Post New]by mauriandlaw on Dec 3, 09 2:53 AM
I'm not one of those guy that play demos only and that's it............
I buy a lot of games, and i would like to have the right to try them first.

When i see a game with no demo, it's an automatic no buy for me.......
They are going to punish only themself

Only for the MCF series i can do an exception.....as matter of fact i bought their last collector's edition Dire Grove

Edited on 12/03/2009 at 3:03:22 AM PST

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Dec 3, 09 10:15 AM
My first post. Wow. I've been a BF customer for several years now and have accumulated a hefty collection of games. Adventure games are my favorite, with **** close behind. There are some match three games that are really worth playing also. I've started with a bit of background so that although this is my first post, I am in no way a rookie to games. Having said that, I enjoyed the trial period of this game from another site and was just waiting for BF to get it. Sometimes I like to play games that aren't as challenging but have a lot of variation. This game has something unusual that I have not found in any other game I've played - the scrolling scene to find objects. I found this interesting and entertaining. The first scroll scene was a search for 20 gears. The first time through I only got 17, but they let you retry if you want to find all 20. Of course I wanted to retry and did find the 20. The second scroll through was another scene and the object was 20 stars. So I will buy this game if for no other reason than the scroll screen scenes.

I thought the graphics were beautiful, with easy object find, except the coins are a bit more difficult to find. I only wish that there was a defined number of both coins and jewels to find because I always wonder if I missed any. The story line isn't great, but it's not awful either. So all in all, this was a definite buy for me.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Dec 3, 09 10:22 AM
Oops. The **** is for HOG. I guess if you leave the 'g' off, it gets bleeped.

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on Dec 3, 09 12:35 PM
meisie99 wrote:Oops. The **** is for HOG. I guess if you leave the 'g' off, it gets bleeped.

Just wanted to say welcome to the pond and thanks for you review.
I love Jewel Q Emerald Tear and was wondering if I should buy this one. Sure are some conflicting views.

[Post New]by Patois on Dec 3, 09 10:22 PM
I can't understand all the negative reviews about this gem! I bought it today and like all the other Jewel Quest games, I LOVE it!

Maybe the fact that this is a large file game is the reason, but like the previous mystery game, it's been great so far--I've only collected five of the big gems.

What I am bummed about is that I didn't know it was on Big Fish, but stumbled on it looking for something else this morning. I can't remember seeing it as one of the featured games of the day--and I look every day at the next day's games!

Oh, well, at least I found it and am having a good time playing it, right?

rainbowtree
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by rainbowtree on Dec 4, 09 12:29 AM
Enjoyed everything about this game. The graphics were beautiful and the story interesting. The scrolling of items to find was a unique addition to the traditional gameplay of HOGs. Currently playing a second time to complete my scrapbook page for this game. I use print screen to capture the page, and then paste it into picture manager. From there I crop, and then rename to place the images in preferred order. My scrapbook page for this game will include title page, map, journal pictures, scrolling items (goal = 20), and upgrade page (goal = enoough jewels to purchase all items).

[Post New]by FrankMorgan on Dec 4, 09 9:26 AM
"Re:Jewel Quest Mysteries: Trail of the Midnight Heart - Reviews
by rainbowtree on December 4, 12:29 AM
Enjoyed everything about this game. The graphics were beautiful and the story interesting. The scrolling of items to find was a unique addition to the traditional gameplay of HOGs. Currently playing a second time to complete my scrapbook page for this game. I use print screen to capture the page, and then paste it into picture manager. From there I crop, and then rename to place the images in preferred order. My scrapbook page for this game will include title page, map, journal pictures, scrolling items (goal = 20), and upgrade page (goal = enoough jewels to purchase all items). "

HUH?????

Edited on 12/04/2009 at 9:29:10 AM PST

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Dec 5, 09 8:21 PM
The graphix on this one were far superior to JQM: Emerald Tear. However, the load time was lenghty in recompense. I was disappointed not to see a return of Rupert & Emma & have all new characters. Wondering why if they wanted some young girl they just didn't put Natalie into a time warp. I never got past the 2nd level b/c each time when it went back to the map the screen went black & all I could hear was those gears turning. Completely crashed computer 2x. Not playing this even to finish the demo when I waste 5 min per level trying to get it to close out & play nicely.

jgehrke
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by jgehrke on Dec 5, 09 8:38 PM
I loved JQ 3, and assumed this would be more match 3, but to me seems more HOG. I have an old monitor that may be a bit dark and perhaps not the best eyesight, so the HOGs are a bit tough for me, and I use a trackball, which may be slower for the side scrolling fast clicking parts. I like the music and the graphics, and the variation in game play. I think it is worth the price; I wish for the purchased full version there could be user settings to raise and lower the difficulty - there is surely a wide variety of people (different ages etc) who play.

robbsmom
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,285 Posts

[Post New]by robbsmom on Dec 7, 09 7:55 AM
no relax mode, no sale

mhbrands
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by mhbrands on Dec 7, 09 12:26 PM
The only real problem I had was part way through the third level/picture for the hidden objects, the sound stuck and I had to close out the game and restart it. Is this a normal problem for games? Maybe I should just learn to reboot my PC every couple hours to reset the buffer?

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Dec 7, 09 12:45 PM
robbsmom wrote:no relax mode, no sale

Same here.

hollyodie
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by hollyodie on Dec 7, 09 5:29 PM
I was enjoying the game very much and was about 3/4 of the way through. All of a sudden, in the middle of starting a new level, the game jumped back to the "Start" screen. When I started it again, it had taken me back to the very beginning! The scores show me as being "Done" Needless to say, right now I am not a very happy camper - has this happened to anyone else?

Go to: