bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Aveyond 4: Shadow of the Mist here

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 4, 16 6:17 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Aveyond 4: Shadow of the Mist here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Aveyond 4: Shadow of the Mist.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

maizijane
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Aveyond 4: Shadow of the Mist here

[Post New]by maizijane on Feb 4, 16 2:51 PM
I wish I had not spent my last game coupon on this game. I have a terrible time trying to figure it out.

[Post New]by luteen on Feb 5, 16 7:35 AM
love the rpg games. have played all the Aveyond games. They are challenging. much better than the hidden object games. Can't wait to get further into this one.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Feb 6, 16 2:06 AM
If you're on the fence about this or any others in the series let me tell you - -- this game is SO good, if you were to take 2 handsful of any random games from the "recently released" category here & measure them up against just one Aveyond game, the scale would tip so far in favor of Aveyond that the other, less-worthy games would go flying out the window to their fates!

[Post New]by rocketman685434 on Feb 6, 16 7:52 PM
maizijane wrote:I wish I had not spent my last game coupon on this game. I have a terrible time trying to figure it out.

Which is where buying the guide comes in handy

[Post New]by rocketman685434 on Feb 6, 16 7:54 PM
luteen wrote:love the rpg games. have played all the Aveyond games. They are challenging. much better than the hidden object games. Can't wait to get further into this one.

Me too i've loved all the Aveyond games. This one is certainly different to the rest.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 12, 16 8:53 PM
I have now finished the game - took me about 40 hours to play. This was an excellent RPG, the best I have played so far.

IBmeWhoU
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by IBmeWhoU on Feb 15, 16 6:53 AM
I have played every Aveyond so far and am buying this only because I am hoping the developers haven't disappointed us. This is not a continuation of the previous Aveyond games. It is a different concept with different characters. For those that love having to think things through and finding those items necessary to move forward this is the game for you. The linear game play makes it easy for the novice player and a time killer for the expert player. When you get stuck just look at your journal and it will help keep you on track. I had hoped they would bring in Nox and Uma from the last Aveyond (the Darkthrop Prophecy) but maybe next time.
Give the game a try if you are looking for something different it doesn't have the HOG qualities but it does get the mind to working.

[Post New]by Texansfan on Feb 17, 16 9:00 PM
I love this game. I own all the other Aveyond games. I have them all. This one is more challenging than the others. I would buy the guide but I can wait 24 hours top use my credit. Best game of the series. I would give it four stars!!

TMGamer99
Salmon
Salmon
2,894 Posts

[Post New]by TMGamer99 on Feb 19, 16 1:22 PM
This is an excellent RPG and really good value. I'm around 30 hours in to it and still going.
There are some differences with many of these that I've played before. For instance, there is no "guard" option in battles.
The main story is reasonably linear, but there are a lot of side quests to do when you feel like it. There is also a journal that keeps track of most of your quests. Although, there are some instances where a character asks you to find something for them which are not logged.
This game allows an active team of 4, but unlike some games, the other members of your party also get XP after battles, so there is no need to worry about swapping them in and out to keep their levels up. And speaking of levels, there hasn't yet been any need to go on a boring levelling up spree, which is good. I chose the hardest mode.
I haven't bought the strategy guide and haven't felt it was necessary. The major benefit as far as I can see is that it shows you where the Goodie Caves are. However, later in the game, you can get a bit of gear that does this for you anyway.
This may not be the best game to play if you have never tried one of these RPGs before, but I recommend it to all who enjoy them.

Loonz111
Clownfish
Clownfish
876 Posts

[Post New]by Loonz111 on Feb 20, 16 1:37 AM
This is the first RPG I played, and I loved it. Great sense of humor, no hand holding, and with over 40 hours of playing, well worth the money I payed. Did realise at some point that it would have been wise to make notes of what/who was where and what was wanted by who. As TMGamer says, some request are not logged as a quest.
I did buy the strategy guide, but was somewhat disappointed. At times it was very vague, the explanation of the dungeons in Halaina was flawed and the map was rudimentary. On the other hand, it did teach me some things that I wouldn't have understood or known otherwise.

LikaLaruku
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by LikaLaruku on Feb 22, 16 5:56 PM
So there's a purchasable guide? Well, the game is $20 anywhere else but Bigfish, so I see that buying the guide is a nice way of supporting the developers, especially since the game took at least a year to make & could take a full month to play.

Really wish they could port this series to the 3DS.

LikaLaruku
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by LikaLaruku on Feb 27, 16 5:46 PM
Recommendation: Replay Ahriman's Prophecy & Aveyond 1-3.4 over before playing this. It's not at all necessary & the stories aren't directly linked, but the continuity nods are much funnier if you know how the stories link.

Pros:
*40 hours of gameplay.
*Takes you on a comical fantasy adventure.
*You'll end up with 6 playable characters in your party, so you can change & customize your play style.
*The music has always been great in Aveyond games.
*The background ambiance in each zone is soothing.
*The zones have unique designs & labyrinthine layouts.
*First time an Aveyond game never aggravated my Carpal Tunnel.
*I didn't feel as lost in this game. A lot of RPGs with backtracking aren't concise with their directions.
*I can feel & see all the improvements the development team has made throughout the series since I first played Ahriman's Prophecy in 2005.
*The series lore. I love figuring out how the different Aveyond stories connect to eachother.
while I was introduced to Aveyond & The Elder Scrolls the same exact year, I'd have to say the Aveyond games hold a bigger place in my heart. I hope this series goes on & on.
*I loved the "Night Watch" story-within-a-story.
*40+ hours of gameplay.

Cons: (Contains spoilers)

*The character designs stretch out unflatteringly at 1980x1020, like the way old TV shows do on modern TVs.
*The Bigfish version has an annoying habit of always opening up in windowed mode every time.
*Busybeak Hills, Divisive Thicket, & Mudsludge Swamp were all underutilized.
*Boyle should have been in his 40s. He looks way older than 30, he acts middle aged, & he's a [parental figure for Robin].
*Introducing [Phye] to your party [JUST before the game ends] is kinda cruel.
*Making Phye & Hi'beru [potential love interests for Ingrid] was pointless. Phye [& Ingrid never speak to eachother]. Hi'beru has more [chemistry with Rowen].
*Continuity error with older games in the series, in which witches had actually been PROUD of being ugly.

Edited on 02/29/2016 at 10:52:30 AM PST

Go to: