bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Masters of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 4, 09 2:19 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
A police officer who has been missing for years. His daughter, who has become a cop to follow in his footsteps. A suspicious rookie. How do these things tie together? Play Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal to find out! This is a fun hidden object game that has players using various tools to investigate crime scenes such as UV lights, flashlight, magnifying glass, and dusting for fingerprints. Several minigames are also present to help immerse players in the experience of crime solving…match fingerprints and license plates, compare blood samples, and test narcotics to help piece together the puzzle. The graphics are top quality and the artwork in cutscenes really helps set the atmosphere of this game. The intricate storyline should keep players playing until the end to learn how everything ties together and it’s an entertaining trip from start to finish!

Game Modes:
This game has both Timed mode and Relaxed mode.

Depth:
Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal is a medium length game that should take players several hours to complete.

Similar to:
Players who enjoyed CSI NY – The Game and The Lost Cases of Sherlock Holmes may enjoy playing Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal.

Difficulty level:
Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal is a medium difficulty game that should entertain most users from the beginner to the experienced player.

Reviewed by R.R.

meatbun66
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

Re:Masters of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal comments and reviews

[Post New]by meatbun66 on Dec 4, 09 10:53 AM
Thanksk auntann11! I was going to download the demo to see if this game is worth buying but I think I will pass. I won't even play OK HOG demos. I guess those Mystery Case Files games have really spoiled me.

[Post New]by ski77ppyDiane on Dec 4, 09 1:21 PM
Could not even get it to start and after reading some of the reviews I don't think I'll bother re-installing. Jack The Ripper is much better

fireeyes5
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by fireeyes5 on Dec 4, 09 1:48 PM
I play every HOG normally that comes out. I am not a blind person but will be by the time I finish this game. Little tiny objects in the darkest of places!!!! Keep finding same objects in same scenes alot. Not my favorite game

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Dec 4, 09 2:38 PM
I lasted ten minutes - barely, then deleted it. For me, like some other fishies, too many objects were too dark or tiny, but the biggest annoyance was definitely her comments on everything! I also thought the story started out very strangely - were she and her new partner in her apartment and about to get romantic - when they only just met? Just too weird for me. And definitely a no-buy.

Jen.

Masters of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal comments and reviews

[Post New]by llevy5 on Dec 4, 09 5:36 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Here is what our reviewer thought of Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
A police officer who has been missing for years. His daughter, who has become a cop to follow in his footsteps. A suspicious rookie. How do these things tie together? Play Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal to find out! This is a fun hidden object game that has players using various tools to investigate crime scenes such as UV lights, flashlight, magnifying glass, and dusting for fingerprints. Several minigames are also present to help immerse players in the experience of crime solving…match fingerprints and license plates, compare blood samples, and test narcotics to help piece together the puzzle. The graphics are top quality and the artwork in cutscenes really helps set the atmosphere of this game. The intricate storyline should keep players playing until the end to learn how everything ties together and it’s an entertaining trip from start to finish!

Game Modes:
This game has both Timed mode and Relaxed mode.

Depth:
Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal is a medium length game that should take players several hours to complete.

Similar to:
Players who enjoyed <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/1200.page>CSI NY – The Game</a> and <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/724.page>The Lost Cases of Sherlock Holmes</a> may enjoy playing Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal.

Difficulty level:
Master of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal is a medium difficulty game that should entertain most users from the beginner to the experienced player.

Reviewed by R.R.

My 2 cents

[Post New]by stephanie33 on Dec 4, 09 6:30 PM
I don't post often but that doesn't mean I don't play a lot of different games, this is one of the 4 I've played that I quit mid-hour. The dialogue popping up every other click or so was very annoying. There are supposed case achievements that you are to strive for (i.e., click 5 items in 4 seconds). Even if you saw 5 items to click, the game is too slow to allow it and god help you if one of the items is in green that means an annoying dialogue pop-up will appear and totally bog down the scene.

I'm not a gamer that automatically ignores the dialogue but this was overkill and not helpful in the slightest and the frequent appearances slows the game playing and pulls you out of the game not immersing you into it like dialogue is supposed to do. The objects aren't that difficult to find, and the items you pick up to use are there, the delineation as to when you need them in a scene could be clearer, but on the whole even if you click an item on the list it takes time for it to disappear so you end up clicking it again.

Bottom line if you play a game to immerse yourself into a different realm ignore this one the frequent intrusions jar you out of the game and irritates you into stopping the game mid-free hour.

Just my thoughts.

Stephanie

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Dec 4, 09 6:54 PM
I thought the game was too slow also. Why oh why do game designers think that we like to click on things, or watch things load, or my personal pet peeve, watch our selections perform some action before disappearing. In this game, the objects float up, then advance/recede a couple of times while we wait. In my case, one of the objects..."green jars" got stuck, and there it hovered at twice normal size in mid air until I closed the game and started over. this game had just too much waiting to be fun...waiting for list to load, for objects to advance/recede, and too many pop ups. Also, the club owner had the most HORRIBLE and offensive "Italian" accent, and there were mispellings and mispronunciations too...I will give it a pass.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 4, 09 8:23 PM
I only played this for around ten minutes. I don't like this game much. In the first place, I had to change the cursor. That's no big thing and I really don't mind that but, then, I had to change to the windowed mode in order to play it at all. Otherwise, it was too slow. I didn't like the acting-especially the girl's. It sounded too much like a monotone when she spoke. The graphics were okay. That's about the only thing positive I can say about the game. Needless to say, I won't be buying this game.

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Dec 5, 09 9:29 AM
As with others, I didn't like this game much. I stuck with it for almost an hour but will not buy.

The constant loading makes the game flow really slow, the amount of dialogue is boring as too the items you have to find. I must admit it took me over 20 minutes to realize I had to use the magnifying glass to help find the small stuff (dahh, sometimes I'm a bit of a nitwit) but even after this brain wave I wasn't impressed.

I found the inuendoes (spelling??? sorry not my strong point) to some form of liasion caused me to think 'oh get a grip girl'.

However, just my opinion....

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Dec 5, 09 3:44 PM
Well all I can say is....don't be in a hurry to do a sequel! The game was "too easy" and "too repetitive", and the ENDING...........well WHAT A LET DOWN!! This game is not as large as expected on download....I finished it in a couple of hours. Very disappointed......what a waste of a game credit!!!!!!

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Dec 5, 09 6:11 PM
The popping up dialogue was bad enough, but the slow interface was ridiculous. Uninstalled in 7 minutes, and that was because it took so long to get back out to the menu. BORING

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Dec 5, 09 7:11 PM
I played the whole hour and won't be buying for the reasons mentioned above. But it was an engaging story and the game definitely has some good traits.

General comments:
* No waiting for hints. Not that I needed many but I do not think you have to wait at all to use a second one. If you do, it is very brief. I do not know if this gets longer if you start using a lot.
* Excellent graphics. I REALLY liked the magnifying glass in this one. In most games the magnifier just gives you a blurry enlarged image of what you can not see anyway. This one is tack sharp and actually reveals a lot you can not see with the naked eye. Flashlight and black-light are much more realistic than in most games. They obviously put some effort into these with good success.
* Lots of repeat scenes and repeat objects, even in the hour demo. If I am tired of them in the demo, the whole game is going to drive me crazy.
* Story, as far as I got, was less far-fetched that most game story lines, but it could have headed into bizarre territory after the hour.
* The main woman and man were cast with good voice actors, so for once I did not wince every time they spoke. Unfortunately the nightclub owner sounds like a fake gypsy at a two bit carnival, but her appearance is brief.
* What bothered me more about the dialogue is that you HAVE to sit through it to have any idea what is going on in the story. When I tried to click through, I did not get a chance to read it in many cases so it took me a bit to catch up.
* Mini-games are fairly easy but in the hour I had at least 3 find the difference. I hate find the difference.
* And yes, the worst of all were the spinning blue circles that seems to pop up every few seconds. There has only been one other game where I spent such a high portion of my time waiting for something to load. I did not buy that one either.

Overall not nearly the worst game I have demoed and I would be willing to play it through if I were snowed in but not if I had any MCF or HE loaded n my computer.
/

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Dec 5, 09 10:03 PM
The sole reason I am enjoying this is how cheezy the dialogue is btwn the 2 detectives ROFL Otherwise, um, no. HOs are very repetitious, the HOs list takes 4ever to load, little swirly blue circles on the bottom will not allow you to click on anything until the dialogue loads. And I am stuck halfway into it. They've gone back to the penthouse & the last thing on my list is Blood 6x. I got the 2 where the victims were sitting but THERE IS NO MORE BLOOD. I've used the hint (which does reload faster than anything else in the game, I'll give it that) & it keeps showing me where this alleged blood is & THERE IS NO BLOOD. Has anyone else run into this problem?

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 6, 09 12:07 AM
Have you tried using the uv light?

lj_brit
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by lj_brit on Dec 6, 09 6:30 AM
Wish I had read all your reviews before I embarked on a frustating time of downloading, reinstalling, rebooting, etc. All I can get is a black screen with the "eggtimer" spinning forever. For curiosity's sake I tried it on another game site (still hadn't read forum) and got the exact same problem. Nice to know I haven't missed much, except possibly more frustration

weirdgrrl
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by weirdgrrl on Dec 6, 09 12:28 PM
vicalana wrote:Have you tried using the uv light?

I tried using the uv light and it did nothing! That's when I decided to call it quits. I was already sick of the spinning blue circles, the dialogue interrupting the hidden object hunt and not particularly caring about the storyline, so a malfunctioning uv light was the last straw.

Pity. I enjoyed the first one. Not saying it was the best HOG out there, but it was certainly better than this.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Dec 7, 09 5:01 AM
O jeez....I forgot there were tools in this LOL Off to see if the luminol light finds the elusive bloodstains!

[Post New]by bomberman77 on Dec 9, 09 8:22 AM
How could you not give this game 5 stars? I've been many other standard **** games and this is one of the best when it comes to gameplay and most of all, story as it develops characters well.
The trend is to go to more interactive and hopefully the next one in this series will go that way.

Great graphics and story, so 5/5!!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 9, 09 1:13 PM
I enjoyed playing this one also. Much better and not nearly as tedious as the first one. I thought they improved upon all the things I disliked in the first one. Yes, the dialogue gets a little bit cheezy but this isn't a full blown TV show, lol.

Go to: