bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

The Dark Hills of Cherai comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 5, 09 1:12 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Re:The Dark Hills of Cherai comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on Dec 5, 09 1:29 AM
Looked at it for about half an hour. By the bar at top of image I got a little more than half way through first section. Didn't get a clue as to how many sections there are.

Easy H O screens with integrated inventory interactions, and puzzles. Attractive imagery. Music consistent and fairly nice. Story is a little jerky, but one can follow, mostly. I chose the "no help" mode, so cannot comment on how much help is available. Over all, quite well done if not terribly original. 6 on a scale of 10; not sure if I want to buy it.

ilove2sew
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by ilove2sew on Dec 5, 09 2:44 AM
I beta tested this game and I am so happy to see it released - was saving my Nov. free game credit for it.

Pros: Great game. Not your usual run of the mill mini games at all, very different but not too difficult mini games. Makes you think certainly and an option to skip.

You can play untimed in this game. Bright clear graphics - a great storyline that made me want to follow up with what is going on.

You can play as different characters, when one characters gets as far as they can go in one point, you go to another character, I like this part a lot and haven't seen it in another game recently. Very refreshing.

Very easy to know where to go and what to do next, but not insulting to your intelligence at all, just flows nicely.

I don't usually leave music on in games as it bothers me but since I was beta testing I felt I should so I did and I did like the music in this, it was quite good. I will leave it on while I play too as I did like it and felt that it added to the atmosphere.

I had no technical problems and I am playing on a Sony Vaio laptop with 32 bit Vista 1 Gig Ram. Ran very smoothly for me with the custom cursor.

Cons: 2 items were mislabeled: a basket you were to find was actually a bucket - and as I stated in the review to BF - I was having so much fun playing I forgot what the 2nd one was.

AND if you don't like SNAKES beware - there is one whole Snake Temple Chapter. I intensly dislike snakes, its almost a phobia and I got through it but I really wish that game developers would remember that there are people who have problems with them and pick some other type of creature to use.

I give it 4 out of 5 just because of the snakes.

As far as how long it will take to play, I'm hesitant to estimate because I always think that depends on individuals, some people are whizzes at certain types of games and can go through them in a couple of hours & want to do so, others prefer to poke around, take in all the sights and sounds. I tend to be the latter type and so I am guessing, that at least 2 hours if you are the first type and more like 5 if you are the latter.

A good solid game all around, one that is a different type of IHOG, because of the refreshing mini games, and switching off of character play which is so very nice.

This is my first review so please be kind.

Ila in Maine

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Dec 5, 09 3:19 AM
thankyou for your review ilove2sew, it was very helpful, i have played for about 1/2hour of the trial..with a little help from my grandson...we are both enjoying it, i will play the rest of the demo later and decide then if i want to purchase it or not, ...so far..

PuppyDogMom1
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by PuppyDogMom1 on Dec 5, 09 3:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up regarding the snakes. I do have a phobia and because most of the game makers have some fetish about including them, I avoid so many good games. I won't even try the demo of this one.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Dec 5, 09 4:04 AM
i played about 20 minutes of it and i purchased. very refreshing mini games, as i lovetosew said not very difficult and they were different, not your normal mini games that are usually found in hogs. i purchased after 20 minutes music is very soothing there is inventory items to use. would definitely give this

tabsy
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by tabsy on Dec 5, 09 4:05 AM
Really enjoyed the demo. Great to see new locations and legends. Some innovative twists to the gameplay and the objects are well hidden but not unfairly so, I used a hint a couple of times and afterwards licked myself for not seeing the object.

Sadeyed
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Sadeyed on Dec 5, 09 4:09 AM
I'm quite enjoying this game so far, but I can't get it to play in full screen which is frustrating. When I click the "Full Screen" option it moves the windowed screen to the top left hand corner of my monitor and takes away all the borders.

Wonder if it's anything to do with me having 2 monitors attached to my pc?

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Dec 5, 09 4:41 AM
Gorgeous Graphics got me to try this despite it's huge size. The endless Hint renewal Kills it for me. I find List items difficult to see. If I use a Hint, I have to wait too long for the next one. I was told to place inventory items on the Hint to get a clue where to put it. I put a monkey on the Hint (wasting the Hint) was shown where to put the monkey and cannot make it go there or any spot in the area.

Also, I am finding the butterfly annoying. It stays there flapping, I click on it, get a message and it is still flapping. I click on it and get the same message. It does not stop flapping or go away. How do I know when it has something else to tell me?

I find the visual problems I have along with the endless loading of Hints a killer for me. I love the graphics, am intrigued by the story but sorry, "No Sale!"

raystownlady
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by raystownlady on Dec 5, 09 4:58 AM
Sadeyed wrote:I'm quite enjoying this game so far, but I can't get it to play in full screen which is frustrating. When I click the "Full Screen" option it moves the windowed screen to the top left hand corner of my monitor and takes away all the borders.

Go into display and change your resolution.

Barry_B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Barry_B on Dec 5, 09 5:19 AM
Sadeyed wrote:I'm quite enjoying this game so far, but I can't get it to play in full screen which is frustrating. When I click the "Full Screen" option it moves the windowed screen to the top left hand corner of my monitor and takes away all the borders.

Nothing to do with 2 monitors as I have only 1 monitor and I can't get the game to go full screen either, I use a Samsung 24" Widescreen LCD.

You would have thought this problem would have cropped up in BETA testing, hope they get a fix out for it!!

[Post New]by liz2454 on Dec 5, 09 5:44 AM
I have tried to play this game which I may add looks great but everytime I move into another area the game crashes !!!! Anyone else had this problem?

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Dec 5, 09 6:02 AM
bribling wrote:Gorgeous Graphics got me to try this despite it's huge size. The endless Hint renewal Kills it for me. I find List items difficult to see. If I use a Hint, I have to wait too long for the next one. I was told to place inventory items on the Hint to get a clue where to put it. I put a monkey on the Hint (wasting the Hint) was shown where to put the monkey and cannot make it go there or any spot in the area.

Also, I am finding the butterfly annoying. It stays there flapping, I click on it, get a message and it is still flapping. I click on it and get the same message. It does not stop flapping or go away. How do I know when it has something else to tell me?

I find the visual problems I have along with the endless loading of Hints a killer for me. I love the graphics, am intrigued by the story but sorry, "No Sale!"

Bribling
You will find the 3rd monkey in the next scene and then get to place them. I found the butterfly to be annoying as well Like you I clicked on it a couple of more times thing the message would be different, only to find it the same.

I like the game and am thinking about getting it. I just wish the hints would load faster as well. I try not to use the hints or walkthrough. I try to solve things on my own, but there were a couple of time I had to use the walkthrough on other games. .

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 5, 09 6:34 AM
Downloading trial now...will go ahead and buy based on what I have read here. Alas, I have one more night to work and didn't get off until late this morning, so I won't try it until tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to it. As for those of you with a snake phobia...I have a cockroach phobia, and several games lately have had them scurrying around. My grandson laughed himself silly over my reaction to one of the games last week. Cockroach kept crawling out from behind a cabinet and then disappearing behind it again. If it had been real, I would have been freaking out big time...but it wasn't real. It is only a game, make believe, and not coming out of my screen to multiply with a gazillion baby ones, lol. I guess I have learned to deal with it, as I do enjoy these games. Just like some horror shows. I prefer the psychologically spooky ones to the blood and gore. But I have played a few hogs lately that were almost blood and gore and I enjoyed playing those too. To me it is a 'to each his own' thing. If you cannot tolerate a snake on your screen, then you might be missing out on a really good game. But the rest of us will enjoy if we choose to. There is enough politically correct madness going on...don't think we need it with our games too.

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Dec 5, 09 7:25 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:Downloading trial now...will go ahead and buy based on what I have read here. Alas, I have one more night to work and didn't get off until late this morning, so I won't try it until tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to it. As for those of you with a snake phobia...I have a cockroach phobia, and several games lately have had them scurrying around. My grandson laughed himself silly over my reaction to one of the games last week. Cockroach kept crawling out from behind a cabinet and then disappearing behind it again. If it had been real, I would have been freaking out big time...but it wasn't real. It is only a game, make believe, and not coming out of my screen to multiply with a gazillion baby ones, lol. I guess I have learned to deal with it, as I do enjoy these games. Just like some horror shows. I prefer the psychologically spooky ones to the blood and gore. But I have played a few hogs lately that were almost blood and gore and I enjoyed playing those too. To me it is a 'to each his own' thing. If you cannot tolerate a snake on your screen, then you might be missing out on a really good game. But the rest of us will enjoy if we choose to. There is enough politically correct madness going on...don't think we need it with our games too.

Amen!!!!!

RaceCat3
Marlin
Marlin
9,644 Posts

[Post New]by RaceCat3 on Dec 5, 09 7:28 AM
Hey ilove2sew, your review was great, thank you very much! I am downloading now, will demo later. From your review it definitely sounds like one to buy. I am deathly afraid of snakes, also, but I try to just block it out of my mind when I see them in a game. I would hate to have missed a great game like Madame Fate because of snakes.

[Post New]by midnightsammie on Dec 5, 09 7:31 AM
I really like this game have played the trial one an will buy it.having a big problem with finding the snake placque that goes on the cement block. cannot find it anywhere.please help.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 5, 09 7:53 AM
Magic herbs ......hmmm !!! Well that got my attention , not a bad game ...moved kinda slow for me anyway ..would have to click on items several times ...you have to agree w/ another gamer ,that theres not much replay value ? I try to think long term ..Theres a few games that I have bought..and think..what the hell was I thinking ??? Almost like drunk dialing ...dont want to regret it later...even though I have a credit ,...hEY ITS SNOWING HERE..,,,,GREAT DAY...

ldevine
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by ldevine on Dec 5, 09 8:05 AM
I have to address all of us who have phobias. I think it is more the norm than unusual to fear something..... For some snakes, others cockroaches, heights, water, I can go on. Mine is spiders. My brother put a large one in a coffee cup when we were children and then threw it on me. However, I play games all the time that have spiders in them. As others have said, these are just games. Not real spiders, snakes or cockroaches.

I consider it a minor form of therapy to have to deal with the creature I most detest in the game format....but...will still ask someone else to deal with the spiders I meet in real life

I like this game and am considering purchasing it. I like it that you can switch characters and that some of the mini games are those I haven't seen in a long time. I, too, appreciate well done graphics and music one can tolerate throughout game play. I often turn off the music when it gets tiresome - so far have been able to keep it on.

ComputerCharm
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,537 Posts

[Post New]by ComputerCharm on Dec 5, 09 8:11 AM
Thanks for the great review. Before I learned some fish were wizzes at games I use to buy games on hours of play by their quickness. Can't remember which game now I tried way back when. What took some fish to do in 4 took me 12. Mainly I think because I read everything, try not to use hints, try not o skip mini-games and wander everywhere.
So thanks for a timeline for us average players.

Charm

p.s. I have sewn all my life and to give it up a few years ago

Go to: