Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Nonograms: Wolf's Stories here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 8, 16 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/08/2016 at 6:35:38 AM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nonograms: Wolf's Stories here.

[Post New]by Valkara on Feb 8, 16 3:53 AM
Well, this is tedious.

It's also confusing, having all three colors listed at once. I'm used to putting in "x" where a particular color doesn't go.

I've done 5 levels and so far am not impressed. I'll play through the rest of the demo, but it's got to pick up before I'll even consider it.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 8, 16 6:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Nonograms: Wolf's Stories here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Nonograms: Wolf's Stories.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Feb 8, 16 6:39 AM
Picked this up on a sale last month at another site.

These are nonograms in three colors, but unlike the Fantasy Mosaics where you switch boards from color to color, these list all three colors at once on the same board.

Was a bit confusing since I had been playing a lot of the Fantasy ones recently. I am wondering how big the boards will be able to get with having so many numbers listed at once. On a 10 X 10 board, it is possible to have 10 numbers listed! BUT, with that kind of price, I got it anyway; just not playing too soon after playing Fantasy! t

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Feb 8, 16 7:39 AM
Valkara wrote:Well, this is tedious.

It's also confusing, having all three colors listed at once. I'm used to putting in "x" where a particular color doesn't go.

I've done 5 levels and so far am not impressed. I'll play through the rest of the demo, but it's got to pick up before I'll even consider it.

Yes, it is tedious and as you work through the levels there are places where you need to place an 'x'. The challenging part of the game is working it out! I was equally confused when I played it initially on another site a bit ago and it took me 3 hours (an hour each on 3 sites) to finally get the concept! I highly recommend the tutorial.

If you love nanograms/mosaics/riddlers/griddlers ... don't give up! It's just a bit more challenging than what we've become accustomed to!

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

LOVE this innovative and challenging game!

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Feb 8, 16 7:49 AM
The story is very cute. The wolf family is very close-knit .... but ... sometimes mama wolf needs a break (don't we all?!? lol). She asks papa wolf to lend a hand but .... he ----- falls ----- asleep! When he finally wakes up ..... OH NO!!!!! mama and the cubs are ................ GONE!!!!

The is nice ..... graphics could be a bit clearer on the game board --- a little sharper maybe ...... no voice overs.

This is the most challenging nanogram/mosaic/riddles/griddlers game I've ever played!

The gist is the same ..... using the numbers that are at the top/bottom/sides of the graph-type game board, fill in the blanks with either an 'x' (no color) or an indicated color. Earn up to 3 gold stars depending on how well you play the level. Sounds simple, huh? NO WAY! lol! Why???? You are using ALL the colors at the same time. Not all blue ... then all red ..... then all yellow, etc. But ALL the colors. And figuring out WHERE those colors go and/or where the 'x' boxes go is NOT all that simple! Because you have NO CLUE where the empty ('x') boxes are!!! Well, the 'clue' is in the game play ... it's just NOT that obvious.

I had the great fortune of playing this demo at another site and my notes simply say .... "Great!", "Challenging!", "5+ ". I just hoped and hoped that BFG would release it as well and .............. HERE IT IS!

Help papa wolf find his family while playing one of the most innovative and challenging ways to play nanograms!

ENJOY!

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Feb 8, 16 10:09 AM
There's a story to this beyond the cartoon at the beginning?

I've played more levels... and nothing. At least with Fantasy Mosaics you get a new garden item after every 5 levels. With this you just get another puzzle. What's the point?

Yes, it's challenging. I've restarted some of the puzzles 3 or more times (I don't accept anything less than a perfect score). But without any ongoing story or indication that something's happening, I just don't see the point.

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

I like it

[Post New]by moesart on Feb 8, 16 10:40 AM
I love these fill-in puzzles. This one has an added degree of difficulty. As I kept playing I found my groove and really started to enjoy it. It takes some thought but haven't used the hint button yet. It was a definite buy for me!

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

I like it

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Feb 8, 16 12:55 PM
moesart wrote:I love these fill-in puzzles. This one has an added degree of difficulty. As I kept playing I found my groove and really started to enjoy it. It takes some thought but haven't used the hint button yet. It was a definite buy for me!

There's a 'hint' button???? Just kidding! lol I dislike using the 'hint' button so it adds that extra challenge for me. I agree .... it took me quite a while to find my groove. A definite purchase for me!

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Feb 8, 16 7:25 PM
It's confusing having the three colors at once.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Feb 9, 16 2:49 AM
It's clear that most of the reviewers here are Fantasy Mosaics fans, as I am. So many people refer to "three colors", I'm guessing because that's what we get in the FM series. But for those who haven't yet tried this game, you actually DO get more than three colors in a puzzle - something I've long wanted from FM. (Check the thumbnails if you're skeptical.)

I'm intrigued by this game, but not yet sure. The game play can be a bit tedious, with the jumping back and forth from color to color, but I do like the challenge. I'll probably wait a few days then finish the demo and decide.

If you are a fan of these puzzles, definitely try it!

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Nonograms: Wolf's Stories here.

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Feb 11, 16 5:34 PM
I bought this 19 minutes into the demo because it's nicely challenging, as I help demonstrate in the "I don't get it?" thread at http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/676328.page in this forum. And because it has every single feature I like in other nonogram games.

When you've completed a row or column, the blanks are automatically filled in.

There is a label on each completed puzzle, telling you what it's supposed to look like. (I don't mind if it isn't in fact a good picture, but I hate not knowing what the intention was, as is too often the case w/ some other developers' series.)

Numbers in the clues are crossed out when and only when you can deduce WHICH number a tile you've filled in matches. It's a matter of taste, of course, but I much prefer this to a line of nonogram games I've met where a number being crossed out often provides additional information. Here, it's sometimes not immediately obvious exactly why the number marked is the only possibility, but when I check it out, yes, it's deducible.

Also, I've done about 19 puzzles w/o once needing to use the Hint button and w/o guessing. That, too, is how I want nonograms to work, w/ perfect logic. (A different other series developer annoys me by not adhering to that standard.)

As for the story line, I could literally care less, but not very much less. If it turns out to be mildly amusing, touching, or whatever, great; but if not, it can't much harm an extremely good game! Frankly, I'm just as pleased that it looks like there'll be only 6 or 7 pages of it.

WARNING! If you're color blind, you may well not be able to do many of these puzzles. But you should be able to conclude that well before you've spent an hour on the demo.

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 10:04:50 PM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Feb 14, 16 3:58 AM
I love this game. I used to spend a fortune on the paper books and coloured pens until they brought out the Fantasy Mosaic (FM) games. All other variations just didn't do it for me.

Tip: Do not play this immediately after FM. You will just get confused with the gameplay. Give this one a try for the whole demo without playing another variation and you'll soon get the hang of it. Use hints whilst you're learning (annoyingly for me, you even get trophies for using the hints - trophies I won't be winning).

Use the tutorial. I haven't used it myself but I did read in another post that it is actually good if you don't really know what you're doing.

Remember, two of the same colour need at last 1 space between them. Two different colours may or may not need a space.

Have a look at the board. Sometimes you don't even have to do any counting. For example, if a row has all one colour you can immediately eliminate (right click) any corresponding cells in columns that do not include that colour.

Also if the top row has a block of 3 yellow and there are only 3 columns together that start with a yellow number then you know that's where your 3 yellow go in that row. Even if there are 4 columns together that start with a yellow, you can immediately fill in 2 of them.

Similarly with the bottom row, look at the last colour of the columns to match them up. Also do this with the first column to match them with the first in the rows, and the last column with the last in the rows.

Someone posted earlier that there are more than 3 colours. There are 60 games in each level and I'm almost done with level 3 with no sign of there being more than 3 colours. Do they come later?

For those who have said this game is both tedious and confusing. Those two words don't really go together. I find match 3 games tedious. I find time management games confusing. I neither play nor review on them.

If you really do like this kind of game then I would suggest you use the demo time to learn rather than to try and get as much gameplay as you can for nothing.

It really is a good game and I love that I have to actually think about what I'm doing.

If I have one gripe is that the finished pictures could be clearer. Some are good but some not so much.

Cards13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

Suggestions to developers

[Post New]by Cards13 on Apr 15, 16 6:14 PM
I absolutely love this game - very challenging in the logic but I have some suggestions for improvements. After you have played a few levels, when you sign back on you are told (for example) you have 50 of 60 in the first group, 40 of 60 in the second group, etc., but the individual levels are not identified. The first group is levels 1-20, second group is 21 to 40, but why not just label it that way? As one gets higher in the levels, it can difficult determining where you are. I already know they are at least 120 levels. When I complete 120, I will find out if there are more.

In addition, while you are on any individual level, they are NOT labeled. If you leave the level, and had not written down in advance what level you were playing, there is no easy way of finding out. ONLY when you complete a level do you find out the number of the level you just completed. I believe a needed improvement would be to label the level you are one while you are playing it.

Lastly, I assume the reason for some of the colors is for the picture at the end. But for me being able to clearly identify the colors while playing is more important than any picture at the end. And having colors that are difficult to tell apart just adds another level of difficulty that is not really needed.

I find that playing this game is much more challenging than the Fantasy Mosaics. While I realize they have a large following of players, if people tried to understand this one I believe they would love it also.

Thank you for listening.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on May 11, 16 3:12 AM
Well its a challenge, that's for sure! love the graphics and the music....I am just learning so the one big gripe is that you are only allowed 2 mistakes....ever! I am just getting really frustrated at having to start the puzzles over and over again ....anyone have any step by step instructions? sure, there is a tutorial but very basic.....cheers!

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on May 14, 16 9:22 PM
I haven't finished this one yet because I find my eyes get tired after 2 or 3 puzzles. As others have mentioned, there are some puzzles where the colors used are too similar to tell apart easily. There are also too many places where the background picture around the grid is so dark that the colored numbers don't show up well, especially when the top number is black or dark blue. My eyesight is bad enough already - I don't need eye strain to make it worse! I like the game, just wish more attention was paid to using clear colors.

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

[Post New]by elizaew on Sep 13, 16 5:12 AM
Very hard to see. All the visuals are too hard to see which makes this difficult game unnecessarily hard and frustrating.

[Post New]by JennTan on Feb 26, 17 12:39 PM
I love this game!! I like things that make me think but don't become overly frustrating, I get into an almost meditative state and the music is soothing.

Yes, it's a bit harder than the fantasy mosaic games but honestly, that's what I like about it, If you give it a chance, get used to how it plays it is a great puzzle game!!

I hope there are more to come!

But I never saw any narrative?? For me it just started right up with puzzles....maybe because I did the free download before buying the game?

Go to: