cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

The Otherside: Realm of Eons comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on Dec 6, 09 1:13 AM
Played for 40 minutes, completing 3 scenes of I don't know how many.

Nice graphics and an engaging story have made a good start on this one. What animation there is fails to improve the game; it's harmless though.
Hidden Objects are given by image, and not located logically; lots of invisible velcro here. Kind of interactive, in that you find a group of objects, one of which you will use to interact with and active area or character. Minigames are fairly standard, and not difficult. Music is repetitive, and likely will irritate some.

I might buy it for the story, but probably not really soon.

4 of 10 over all.

Edited on 12/06/2009 at 3:29:50 AM PST

Re:The Otherside: Realm of Eons comments and reviews

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Dec 6, 09 1:25 AM
Good graphics, items seemed to fit their scenario (jewelry store had all jewely-type items).

Bit too easy for my taste. Limited interactiveness (find 7 keys--all were in the same table drawer to wind the clock--you don't pick and choose--just move the bunch to the clock). Assemble pieces to make a statue for the clock.

The mini-games I did so far were very easy--assemble an origami bird, rearrange puzzle pieces to read a note, match picture types.

Didn't hold my interest enough to even finish demo nor buy it.

(That Jovi character in opening is strange..little beady teeth and crazy eyes, lol).

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 6, 09 1:38 AM
I bought this game directly from the Namco site. Wasn't sure to wait or not but did want a game. I finished this one.

Storyline: Definite 10/10. Very original and intriguing story. I truly enjoyed the story immensely. And there is NOT a to be continued.

Graphics: Definite 10/10. The graphics to me were beautifully done. Crisp and clear. And there was quite a bit of 3D graphics in there as well. The artists did a superior job on this.

The Hidden Objects: A 10/10. I loved how they did this part. You need all the hidden objects you find so it ties into the main object you need to put into the scene. Your not just finding random objects. The hidden objects were hidden but still kind of easy to find. That was done just right. Your not staring at the screen for a good 10 minutes, or if your like me and don't want to use the hint button. Or not like on some games constantly using the hint button.

Mini games: A 10/10. Very original. Yes you do have your spot the differences, but other than that the other mini games I have not seen in any other HOG yet. Really a nice change of pace. There is a skip button if you need one.

Game length: I did not use a walkthrough. I took me a little over a 24 hour time frame to complete. If not a little longer.

Hint system: Recharges quickly. You have the hint system for the spot differences but memory serves me for the other mini games just the skip button.

Sassy

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 6, 09 3:29 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of The Otherside: Realms of Eons. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
The Otherside: Realms of Eons is an interactive Hidden Object game that takes players on an adventure through another realm in an attempt to find a missing girl. Unlike other Hidden Object games that require users simply to find lists of objects (and occasionally use them), Otherside is about solving the secrets of every scene by collecting and utilizing the items lying around. Items are almost always appropriate in context and players are rarely looking for something without reason. For example, Miranda may need to saw a board so you may need to collect a series of saws, from which she’ll pick one to complete the task. Or, a robot may be missing pieces and his pieces will need to be collected for him to function. The art is, overall, very well done; objects are normally pretty clear and are rarely hidden in darkness, there are moving parts of every scene (branches blowing in the wind, leaves fall, etc.) and the artists did a good job of providing some of the scenes and characters, such as Jovie, with a slightly demented feel. The music can get a bit repetitive at times but is fortunately not distracting and the sound effects in each scene really set the mood. Overall, this is a great game for players of all ages and skill levels and especially for those that like Hidden Object games with a little more purpose.

Game Modes:
Otherside has just an untimed story mode.

Depth:
There are over 25 scenes and 10 mini-games in Otherside as well as hours of play time.

Similar to:
Those that enjoy games such as The Mystery of the Crystal Portal may enjoy Otherside

Difficulty level:
Since Otherside has no time and puzzles can be skipped, this game offers a challenge but isn’t overly difficult.

Reviewed by E.G.

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Dec 6, 09 3:37 AM
this game is a nice one for kids in the 8-12 age group that either like HOGs or might have an interest in them were they introduced to Eons. I did a demo of this the other day with my 3 yr old grandson sitting on my lap. I asked him to point out some of the objects to be found and he had no trouble at all with some of them. He had a ball and I had a really good time only because it was quality time with my favorite little guy.

Adults for the most part will not like this game as it is too juvenile, it just may be a neat present for an age appropriate child.

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Dec 6, 09 3:51 AM
just to slow paced for me. Did not hold my interest. I will not be buying this one. The walk through still does not work

heidie0
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by heidie0 on Dec 6, 09 4:00 AM
I cannot say I cared for this game. The music playing the same short tune over and over was maddening, and I did not like the fact that as soon as you found items, the next sentence would be a very short conversation with a character and she would be told to find another list of items. While I think the graphics were good, and the storyline as well, those two things keep me from buying this one.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Dec 6, 09 4:03 AM
It is slow paced and pretty easy, but once I let myself get into the pace I've been enjoying it.
Pretty to look at, good story line, a bit off beat, enough to while away some time till the next good IHOG comes out.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 6, 09 6:47 AM
Nope not for me either , notta , there hasn't been anything good since DG...& i think I've been very patient ....but don't no how much longer I can wait ? So please ...give me something good !!!! >>>>>SOON !!!!!...OK ? & by the way ...I don't like being a SQUID !!!!!

Edited on 12/06/2009 at 6:49:26 AM PST

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Dec 6, 09 7:24 AM
OLDBAY wrote:Nope not for me either , notta , there hasn't been anything good since DG...& i think I've been very patient ....but don't no how much longer I can wait ? So please ...give me something good !!!! >>>>>SOON !!!!!...OK ? & by the way ...I don't like being a SQUID !!!!!

didn't you like The dark hills of cherai ? i've played the demo and i am gona buy it.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 6, 09 7:44 AM
zorrogumbo wrote:
OLDBAY wrote:Nope not for me either , notta , there hasn't been anything good since DG...& i think I've been very patient ....but don't no how much longer I can wait ? So please ...give me something good !!!! >>>>>SOON !!!!!...OK ? & by the way ...I don't like being a SQUID !!!!!

didn't you like The dark hills of cherai ? i've played the demo and i am gona buy it.
I think my taste have changed ...even though I love hogs...I really enjoy adventure ....Thats what I look for , & I try to think long term ...but to answer your question..no ..dark hills didn't do it for me ... but..cheers to ya !

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Dec 6, 09 8:03 AM
Oldbay - Writing made you a squid and writing will make you free.
Sorry you have not enoyed any of the recent games. For me they were not spactacular but still they were fun.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 6, 09 8:21 AM
lentenrose wrote:Oldbay - Writing made you a squid and writing will make you free.
Sorry you have not enoyed any of the recent games. For me they were not spactacular but still they were fun.
I got that..& I agree..they have been ok to play but not to buy ...is that like a bird in the hand or bush ? something like that..?

Edited on 12/06/2009 at 8:25:47 AM PST

Areal
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Areal on Dec 6, 09 8:50 AM
I'm rather childish, so perhaps I'd have enjoyed the game....if it weren't because one second after installing I had my time trial expired. Allright, money saved for some other game.

HOG_ger
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by HOG_ger on Dec 6, 09 9:02 AM
Poppa47 wrote:this game is a nice one for kids in the 8-12 age group that either like HOGs or might have an interest in them were they introduced to Eons. I did a demo of this the other day with my 3 yr old grandson sitting on my lap. I asked him to point out some of the objects to be found and he had no trouble at all with some of them. He had a ball and I had a really good time only because it was quality time with my favorite little guy.

Adults for the most part will not like this game as it is too juvenile, it just may be a neat present for an age appropriate child.

So Sorry you have lost the child in you. I'm a great-grandmom and am enjoying the crisp graphics, the light theme (many dark themes lately with Christmas around the corner) , and ease of finding logical objects.

Off to use my Nov fest credit for this one

this child can't wait to play

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 6, 09 9:07 AM
What a wonderful comment! I'm not buying, but LOVED what you said. Enjoy!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 6, 09 9:09 AM
Didn't hold my interest, far too easy and just not enough of a challenge. Stopped playing before end of demo and won't be buying this one. Just bought Cherai, far more entertaining!

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

[Post New]by ducle on Dec 6, 09 9:15 AM
I get kinda upset when people tell me that a game is most suitable for small children. It implies that the game is so easy that only grown people who are below par in intelligence or ability would enjoy it. I'm with HOG er on this. I've enjoyed games like Kitten Sanctuary and Tumblebugs which may seem childish but are a lot of fun. Don't know whether I'll buy this one yet, but I'm certainly going to demo it.

Edited on 12/06/2009 at 9:16:29 AM PST

Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Dec 6, 09 9:18 AM
Old Bay,loved your comment on being a squid.I was sick of being one also (smiles) Just write a few more comments and you will be a LOBSTER Did you try the game from yesterday? The Dark Hills Of Cheral.I thought that game was very good.In fact I played it all day and it took me 6 hrs. 30mins.Thats a long game for us seasoned players.Hope I see you as a lobster next.

MeowTsetung
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,752 Posts

[Post New]by MeowTsetung on Dec 6, 09 10:55 AM
ducle wrote:I get kinda upset when people tell me that a game is most suitable for small children. It implies that the game is so easy that only grown people who are below par in intelligence or ability would enjoy it. I'm with HOG er on this. I've enjoyed games like Kitten Sanctuary and Tumblebugs which may seem childish but are a lot of fun. Don't know whether I'll buy this one yet, but I'm certainly going to demo it.

Read all the reviews and learned a couple of things. The gameplay descriptions are useful for me to decide if it is a game I will like playing.

But, I agree with ducle. I can't go by everyone's personal opinions on if the games are childish or if the games are up to some standard they have set for themselves.
Games are games.....enjoy variety!

I played the demo of this game to the Luxury Store and decided to buy. Why?
Because I enjoyed playing the game! It was that simple.

I'm not trying to do rocket science here, folks.
I'm using my imagination and playing a game. (childish or not)
I give this game a because I Iike it, period.
Just my opinion. Have a nice day.

Go to: