bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Trio: The Great Settlement comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 7, 09 12:53 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Re:Trio: The Great Settlement comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on Dec 7, 09 1:37 AM
I am not much for match 3 games, so take this with a large grain of salt.

I compare all match3 games of this type, shoot a thingy at a bunch of thingys so as to make 3 or more connect, with the very old game snood. It is considerably simpler than this, but just as addictive. GF plays it very frequently.

There is considerable opportunity for using the elasticity and bounce of the bits here to make some judgement and experience effective. The story line, rewards, and process of keeping our settlers happy is a separate game, and one which i haven't really time to evaluate. Better players than I will need to investigate.

On the good side, at least on my system, it plays smoothly and delivers a fun hour.

Enjoy!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 7, 09 2:06 AM
Well surprise, surprise... I'm impressed! Downloaded the demo fully expecting it to be a throw away. Nope!

First good news: Relaxed Mode! ...along with Normal (I assumed that's timed) and Select Level, which I asume is to improve scores or just play favorites. There is a timed aspect - on some levels new pieces are pushed into the playing field from the side and you must not let the Orbics (our blocks with personality ) reach above a certain line. So far this has not been a problem.

What impresses me is the addition of physics into the Match 3 world. Granted I haven't played nearly all that are out there, but I've yet to encounter one where the pieces have weight, stickiness and bouce adding vastly more strategy to the proceedings then just clicking/swapping and straight replacement of missing pieces. The Orbics tumble and push as they fall, and some levels they are in water so floatation in added. This can be used to advantage to move colors together as you drop new ones from above.

Add to this a Virtual Villagers type settlement building mechanic between Match 3 levels. Not sure where this bits going and it certainly isn't the main focus, but it does add flavor. There's trophies to be earned as well, and a (so far) menacing but yet to make an appearance enemy mentioned. I have just played out the hour demo, so don't know where this will go either.

Music is surprisingly benign considering the extremely bright cheerful graphics. Sounds are pleasant.

Anyway, didn't expect it, but based on the hour demo I gotta give this unique take on an old, normaly very simple game genre a full Poodlebear DISapproved!

EDIT TO ADD: I take it back. Timed elements quickly become extreme. MUCH fast clicking has made this game unplayable for me and I am not yet off the first Island. If quick clicking is ok for you then I still say it's a quality game with a new twist, but for those of us who do not/can not deal with that - NO. Grrrrr.... What is the point of adding strategic elements to a game then moving too fast to use them?

Edited on 12/07/2009 at 4:19:05 AM PST

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Dec 7, 09 2:17 AM
sorry to pinch this forum post...but....poodlebear, where was your review on yesterdays game?, we were all waiting for it

[Post New]by okieangel on Dec 7, 09 5:40 AM
I love match 3 games and wish BFG would come out with more. As for this one there is the nice twist of the bouncing around, stickyness and orbics shooting out the side but not at an alarming rate. I play the games on timed mode and have yet to run out of time on a level in my demo hour.

I'll be buying this one because it is enjoyable and will be great for my 9 year old nephew to play too.

I'll give it 5 out of 5

twin_mom
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by twin_mom on Dec 7, 09 6:05 AM
Not typically a fan of match 3, this game was a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect the strategy or RPG elements. With the one hour demo it's hard to tell where the build a village idea will go. Really appreciated the strategy though as it involved planning and physics to figure out where to send the next block down.

Might be my first match 3 buy.

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

[Post New]by ducle on Dec 7, 09 6:15 AM
I enjoy good match 3's and this is definitely one of them. It might look a little silly, but it's charming and gets challenging. Didn't care for the music, but that's a minor thing. The physics aspect makes this fun to play, and the ways the orbic drop are sometimes so goofy that it had me giggling.

Warning, though: Don't start the trial unless you have a full hour to play. It's too entertaining to get off in the middle.

[Post New]by FuserFus on Dec 7, 09 6:29 AM
Absolutely great game, a very nice addition to Match 3 games, with cute graphics, addictive ( I mean addictive!) gameplay and original approach to this kind of games. Will keep you entertainmed for hours...I wouldn´t consider it to be on the easy side, even with untimed mode, you need precision and fast clicking , but some slow thinking too, phsysics play a role on this game, not just a make three in a row Match 3 game...Challenging and well made.

emrettig
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by emrettig on Dec 7, 09 7:29 AM
This is a refreshing Match 3 game. I enjoyed it so much I bought it without going through the full hour. I like the twist of the orbics not being in a straight line.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 7, 09 7:31 AM
YUCK !!!! To many instructions.....over & over again ! Another no game day ! sorry but , no VOTE for me ...remember it's just my opinion...

Edited on 12/07/2009 at 7:33:53 AM PST

[Post New]by varg_fr on Dec 7, 09 7:49 AM
Wow!! Trio is one of the most original games I've seen in some time. From the physics to the graphics, this is truly amazing!

Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Dec 7, 09 9:22 AM
OLD BAY,tee hee see your still a squid,your almost to a lobster.Im sorry I didnt read your post from yesterday until this morning.I didnt buy that game you askk me if I had played.It is a adventure game and I only buy so many of them.I try all games for an hour free on the ones that they let you.Then decide if to buy.So guess there was something I didnt like about it.Have you tryed the match 3 games Fishdom spooky splash,or Fishdom frosty splash.I just love them even timed if i dont make it I just do it again until I get it.Normally I hate time to run out, but with them i dont mind.I never play a game twice but with these you can just building new fish tanks.So endless play.So when I want to break away from my IHOGS,AND HOGS.I just relax and build more fishtanks Have a good day

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 7, 09 9:59 AM
Yes Diamond ,(tee hee),,,,,You never came back yesterday So how many more post to I have to go till I'm lobby lobster ? with a name like OLDBAY you no I want to a lobster..cheers

Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Dec 7, 09 10:36 AM
Old BAY,is that name a giveaway?At 72 I guess my name Diamond means in the rough.(smiles) I think you have just 5 more posts to go.So fake out everyone and ask dumb questions 5 times. That was what I was ready to do if it hadnt changed when it did.I love to eat lobster so Im happy now with being that.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 7, 09 11:55 AM
Thanks Dia: I hope I can call you that: My name OLDBAY has to do w/ where I live ..& I don't wanna tell my age....but I'm not too far behind you...thanks for the 76 post..heres to you !

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 7, 09 12:02 PM
This is a really clever, funny, and cute take on Match 3, with physics drolly tossed in. And the orbics continuing comments are just fun.

mhbrands
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by mhbrands on Dec 7, 09 12:17 PM
Is anyon bsides me having a problem wih the screen jumping or jiggling? The game itself seems to be fun, and the colors and graphics are good, but the playing scren looks like someone is shaking my monitor up and down the whole time, and I don't see anything in options to change the resolution if that is the problem. I have had much more complicated games play smoothely on my PC so I don't think it's my graphics card.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Dec 7, 09 4:22 PM
I'm not much for match 3 games but this was different than the usual and it starts off well enough in relaxed mode (I hate timer games) but then you get the platforms rising which is not relaxing to me.

A huge bug I found:

You eventually can build a shipyard at one point but if you instead upgrade the houses and run out of money you can't proceed. The game tells you to build the shipyard and there is no way to undo a purchase. When you go to the buy screen, whatever is showing is what you should buy or you can get stuck and you have to start all over again.

thagrouch19
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by thagrouch19 on Dec 7, 09 5:23 PM
ALL IM GETTING IS A FLASH ON THIS FREE TRIAL DOWNLOAD. IM UNISTALLED IT LIKE 4 TIMES NOW AND FROM START TO OPENING THE GAME IT JUST FLASHES AND CANT SEE MUCH AS IT DOES SO. A BIG GLITCH IN THIS GAME. PLEASE HELP ME GET A CHANCE TO TRY IT OUT GEEEEEEE .......

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Dec 7, 09 6:25 PM
What a fun little game. I love a challange, but sometimes I love a game that I can play for relaxation and this is it. Bought it as soon as my hour of trial was up. Thanks loads BF for something different and entertaining.

Go to: