Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Lethal Letters Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 11, 16 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 7:06:45 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Lethal Letters Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by 9otters on Feb 11, 16 1:30 AM
Odd that we're in St. Petersburg, but everyone speaks with an American accent.

Disliked the game gimmick and the mini-game attached. No news there, but only had to use it once during the demo.

Standard Eipix gameplay...open "this" with "that"...although they made some of the "this" more interesting in that they weren't all shape keys. Was thankful for no dust motes or glaring beams of light.

CE collectibles are 46 hand bells. No telltale hand to show where they are, but easy to spot. Alternate HOP game is match 3. Replay of 26 puzzles and 15 HOPs.

All the usual Eipix achievements, strategy guide, jump map, Souvenir Room, and a bonus video...as well as the usual extras.

Locking inventory...reset on puzzles. Quite a few scenes/windows with arrows panning left and right, up and down.

Got 6 of the 13 achievements just by playing the demo...including several starred levels on those that had them. Finished with no skipping, checked out the extras, and had 45 minutes left to spare.

This game is not for me, but I'm sure there are plenty of Eipix fans who will be pleased. Play the demo and decide for yourself. Happy gaming.

caliehs
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Lethal Letters Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by caliehs on Feb 11, 16 3:17 AM

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 7:44:26 AM PST

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Feb 11, 16 3:22 AM

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 7:41:58 AM PST

siscokid
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by siscokid on Feb 11, 16 4:41 AM
[Removed by Moderator]
A couple of the puzzles were unique, but simplistic in nature. Yes, the hand holding is getting redundant, and again it appears geared toward a beginner's status. I personally liked the story line, the graphics are very crisp and clear, no eye-straining on the HOPS. But.... There is no challenge to them.
[Removed by Moderator]
Still have not decided whether or not to purchase until I get an idea of length, hours of play, etc. Have come to the effect of the expectation that is "the wow factor is not there, but not much else is being offered , so will settle just for that reason." Sad, but true. A beginner's status may enjoy this, but for us "seasoned" players, it's just...meh. As the old adage goes, try it for yourself.....ya never know. I need more than that reason to get me to part with my "hard earned."
Any other "fishie's" feel the same? Chime in, maybe the message will get through.?

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 7:43:47 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 11, 16 4:57 AM
Another in the Danse Macabre series; the first game was excellent but with every game that followed they became less interesting. And now this one; the silly story and the ballerina with the annoying voice was pretty much enough to turn me off this game. Not to mention the endless 'pop-ups'; achievements for this and that, objectives, tasks...there might have been others but I think the point is made.

The graphics as always are lovely and very clear. The HOS were probably the best part of the game which, considering I'm not really a big fan of searching through stuff to find something useful, came as a big surprise to me! The puzzles were ok and one in particular I really liked; however the 'driving the car round town' puzzle got annoying very quickly. And the dreaded 'gimmick with repetitive mini-game attached' reared it's ugly head once again I really hate them and they are an instant 'skip'.

Collectibles in the form of bells aren't overly easy to see but there is an icon to tell you if there's one in a scene. Incidentally, some scenes slide from side to side. The map shows tasks with an ! and it transports. The gameplay is also fully customisable.

I'm sure many will love it but for me it was just ok; nothing special and nothing to make it stand out. Typical Eipix fare, which for me has too many series going on at once to make their games anything other than repetitive and same-y. Still, at least I gave it a shot

No technical issues in the hour I played. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

ETA: As 9otters pointed out, we're apparently in Russia yet everyone speaks with an American accent. It's got nothing to do with 'original languages'; we're not expecting the game to be in Russian, just to have a degree of authenticity. Would you expect to go to Russia and hear all American accents from the inhabitants??

Perhaps someone should come up with a game set in New York, where every single person you meet has a British accent of some sort. The point might sink in then. These developers really need to realise that the universe doesn't revolve around the USA and not everyone speaks with an American accent. And the joke is, a lot of these devs are in the Baltic nations and yet they can't come up with an authentic accent How very odd.

Edited on 02/14/2016 at 6:53:23 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Feb 11, 16 7:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Danse Macabre: Lethal Letters Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Danse Macabre: Lethal Letters Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 7:40:03 AM PST

LD3333
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by LD3333 on Feb 11, 16 7:12 AM

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 7:40:35 AM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Feb 11, 16 7:25 AM
I have the others in this series and loved them, so I was hoping the bad reviews were all soooo wrong, but allas.. the game is boring, nothing new, not even morphing oblects, only bells to collect... And the feature with turning the screen left or right.. it just makes my head ache..

I'll pass...

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 11, 16 8:57 AM

You Are Getting Very Sleepy, Sleepy...

You are Dr. Hawthorn, an expert in cognitive psychology and hypnosis who hails from London. You've been summoned to St. Petersburg to examine Irina, a ballerina and the fiancé of Count Sergey Antonov, because of her recent erratic behavior. However, before you can speak to her, something terrible happens and, with the help of Inspector Yuri, you must investigate.

The color palette in this latest series offering - this is the fifth - includes lots of reds, golds and browns. That said, there are plenty of other colors used and the game is very pleasing to look at. The artwork is the usual high quality we expect (demand?). The scenes are very detailed - be sure to check left and right. Some of them are so detailed that I found myself wishing that more active areas had been included to explore within. The voices are all very well acted - I sensed that that the actors are aware of the story and not just reading lines.

The game play is solidly good, but not great. Hidden objects are fairly standard list types of moderate difficulty. There is a match 3 option in HOPs that I did not explore. There are no morphing objects. Puzzles are cleverly designed, but fairly easy to solve with a just little patience. The best puzzle during the trial was a 3d style navigation where you have to navigate across town.

There are four modes of difficulty. If you choose the Custom mode then you can set hints, glints, and skip within a range to a number of seconds (10-120, 1-10 and 10-400 respectively) or even turn them off. There is a transportable map. As a hypnotist, you also have a pocket watch which is used occasionally to put your patients "under."

The Collector's Edition extras include 46 collectible hand bells (I thought these were refreshingly well hidden), replay of 26 puzzles and 15 hidden object scenes, 13 achievements, souvenirs, match-3 game, bonus chapter, bonus video and strategy guide (which does not show hidden objects). Plus the usual pseudo extra stuff.

The story is engaging and well told and the characters are very real. This is where Lethal Letters shines. I expect the game length to be satisfactory as well. I enjoyed playing the trial (took almost a full hour) and plan to purchase this game. Give it a try and see if it doesn't put you under as well.

Edited for spelling

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 12:12:19 PM PST

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Feb 11, 16 11:13 AM

I really enjoy this series. (One of the very FEW series)

Storyline was good & moved along nicely. Characters were a little wooden, as usual, but had nice facial expressions & mouth movements. The VO were nicely done.

The music was the usual fare & the graphics had nice color & some realism.

Never was told and/or found any collectibles. Have no idea what I was suppose to be looking for.

The HOS was the usual junk pile with some interactive play, nothing special. The puzzles on the other hand were dreadful. Of all the ones in the demo I only liked/played two of them.

The map was utterly useless. Green light to show you where you were but nothing to show you where to go next. I never did see the symbol in the legend for where to go next.

A definite buy but I'll wait for the SE as I don't need/want the extraneous extras that come with a CE.

I recommend this game!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 11, 16 11:38 AM
Hi all! Here we have #5 in this series, and yes, I have them all. As always, I don't review the story line, as others do a much better job than I, but I review on the game play. This game has excellent graphics, very clear. Not much animation, but what there is, is very good. Colors are somewhat muted, but it seems to fit the story line and the series. Game play is very good, no problems during the demo and the game fit my large screen quite well. Voice overs are well done and character appropriate, except that I wonder why devs need to have a woman with a high pitched voice all the time? It does get annoying. Music is the usual for this series and is done well. There are a lot of sound FX in this game, which seem to help bring a story to life for me. I like how the devs incorporated my name into the game as Dr. _____ Hawthorne. The screen does scroll in some scenes, which I don't really care for, but it gives you more to do within that particular scene.

HOPs are done well and are very clean and clear. You have a combination of HOPs, e.g., riddles, lists, interactive and such, so you don't get bored with the same old thing all the time. Items are not difficult to find. If you don't care for HOPs, you can switch to a match 3 game. Puzzles were a bit challenging for a change and took some time and thought to complete. They are not really difficult, but well done. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport you to longer locations. This is a wonderful feature, especially since you do back track quite a lot. The SG only showed one chapter, but if this game is like the others in the series, it will take some time to complete. I only use the SG to make sure I have all the collectibles anyway.

The only collectibles I found are bells. Some of these are blended in quite well and not as easy to find as you may think. There is a "blank" in the bottom right corner that fills in when you find one. I'm missing one in the alley and it's driving me nuts trying to find it!

I like this series and this addition is no exception. The story is interesting, even though nothing new, and you are constantly on the move so you don't get bored. As I said, there is challenge to this game and I found it to be quite fun. I think all levels of players will find this one fun and challenging. I don't give 5 stars easily, a game has to be exceptional to get them, but this one is very close...I give it a 4.5. Yes, I am adding this one to my ever growing list of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Feb 11, 16 12:56 PM
Swimming upstream?? I bought and enjoyed this game very much. With the custom mode you can make it as difficult as you like. Thanks be, I can skip the puzzles which I don't enjoy. Great graphics, music etc. Don't care for high female voices so I finally turned the sound off. But, that being said, I enjoyed it.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Feb 11, 16 2:47 PM
Hello Fishie Friends!

Danse Macabre: Lethal Letters Collector's Edition offers an entertaining blend of adventure gaming and interactive hidden object scenes. I found the balance of more puzzles than hidden objects scenes quite refreshing and enjoyable.

The adventure aspects are somewhat straightforward and not too complex, but do offer an entertaining (if somewhat simple) level of difficulty. The mini-games are a bit on the simple side, but again, enjoyable. One feature I especially appreciate is that, if you prefer, you can try to solve puzzles with the instructions hidden. Otherwise, there is an “Info” button at the bottom of the screen, with game instructions.

Overall, I found the graphics in this game to be well drawn, with bright, deep color saturation, and sharp contrast. The scenes are interesting to look at and there is a hidden “Hand-bell” to find in each scene. The color scheme is clear and colorful, even within the hidden object scenes. While the hidden object scenes are junk piles, they are clearly drawn and one is able to locate the objects fairly quickly and without undue squinting.

If one finds hidden object scenes to be either tedious or a bit of an eyestrain, I am quite happy to say that there is an alternative “Match-3” game to play.

The soundtrack, sound effects and voice over acting are all well done. The musical score is pleasant and story-tone appropriate. Though, I must admit, that for my personal taste, there is a bit more dialogue and interacting with characters than I particularly prefer. On the other hand, for those of you who enjoy story-line, it does move along nicely.

The game offers four levels of difficulty for game play: Casual, Medium, Hard and Custom. I always play on Custom, when given the choice. In this game I appreciated the options of turning off the glitter in active areas, as well as being allowed to turn off the HOP error penalty.

There is a map which one can use for transport, as well as to indicate “Objectives” and “Areas of Interest”. There are “plus items” in the inventory, which one combines, or completes, before their use in game play. There are 13 “Achievements” to accomplish. Game-play is smooth and without glitches.

I highly recommend this game.

Happy Gaming !

Edited on 02/11/2016 at 6:05:24 PM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Feb 12, 16 1:14 PM
Oh, what a nice surprise: with this game in the series some of the "original" spirit has come back!

This time we again have a ballerina as "heroine" and the asylum idea is great! Only played the demo but will go on with this story.....

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 12, 16 1:55 PM
Well, I lasted 24 minutes with this one, and here's why: we start out in St. Petersburg, Russia (not sure how the actual terrain is anything like the real St. Petersburg, but I would bet not a thing like it). We're driven to a theatre in a 1920's car, very nice, by street lights that wouldn't look out of place in any modern city but are definitely not 1920's, are introduced to an "Inspector Yuri" (did anyone tell the devs. that Yuri is a first, not a last name?), and in the theatre, wowza, we enter a never-never land as far as era. Colorful and even pretty costumes and headgear ranging from the late 18th century, through the beginning of the early 19th (empire), mid-19th century (large round skirts), through the end of the 19th, well, possibly 1870's - 1880s. We're probably, given all the interesting land that time forgot costumes pre-Freud, but we have a cognitive psychologist, we say "whoa," a term that came in during the 1980's, and there are electric lights all over the place. Finally, a HOP opens up with a plaster or something decorative woman's head from the 1930's, complete with winged eyebrows, short hair with a bow and who knows what else. I couldn't even really concentrate on the game, because I kept wondering what other anomaly was going to show up. I can see a lot of people really like this game, as a game it's pleasant, although I miss morphing objects and didn't care that much about the bells. The one thing I did like was the icon telling us if we've discovered a bell yet. Anyway, I took costume in school and the jumping around over a hundred years of clothing and even more in history were too much for me. Not a buy as a CE or SE, but for people who don't mind a complete jumbling of time and space, probably a nice game.

GogaO
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by GogaO on Feb 13, 16 2:40 PM
9otters wrote:Odd that we're in St. Petersburg, but everyone speaks with an American accent. .

I'd really love to see you hearing all original languages in all HOG's.

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Feb 18, 16 8:27 AM
I was excited to see a new Danse Macabre game. I shocked myself by even liking this series. Alas, like other series by the same maker, it was somewhat stripped down. The storyline was fun. I didn't like how much conversation we had to have only because the voice acting was irritating. I did like how much back and forth there was, and I'm not usually fond of that. The puzzles were just challenging enough, except that driving one was just tedious & dull. It was worse than those horrible games where you have to guide your boat or ship through hazards. The graphics (in the demo) were excellent. The collectibles were just the right amount of difficulty to find, too. I'll buy.

Go to: