uptownnola
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

Gifting to higher level friends

[Post New]by uptownnola on Feb 12, 16 1:40 PM
I know this is buried somewhere in the pages- but here is my question-
I have many wonderful neighbors who are from 100- 1000 level in the game, and some that are below me (32) as well.

I read that Thorium Ore and Flints are good for general gift giving if someone doesnt have a wish list- or I cant give them what they have on their list.

With all the free gifts available, what do you high rollers prefer? I prefer not to mass gift ( unless time is of the essence like this past week) but there are items for some of the offers that I could gift- I'm not doing the offers yet, but I know you guys are.
So? Thoughts?

or am I over analyzing as usual

Re:Gifting to higher level friends

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Feb 12, 16 3:34 PM
I always give a magic dust to any of my neighbors that don't have anything on their wishlist, whatever level.
Typically, and, its just my rule of thumb, any charger that will always be needed because of the artifacts that are re-assembled repetitiously and of course free to send.
And like yourself, I always gift from my neighbors wishlist. I only mass gift this charger to the neighbors without a wishlist, or that only have backpack items, that I just don't have.
My thought is everyone can always use a magic dust!
Thanks for asking!

Edited to correct spelling

Edited on 02/12/2016 at 3:38:49 PM PST

anna9lviv
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by anna9lviv on Feb 13, 16 3:00 AM
I agree with starmagicgreen. Magic dust is great and generally things that are not often obtained from Dryad: Null Atom, Heat of Fire, or Tree: Dark Matter, Energy Rocks, Energy of Attraction - to assemble artifacts you gather by exploring rune maze or bannishing ghosts.

[Post New]by calliope2010 on Feb 13, 16 3:54 AM
Really glad I read this - I have been having the same dilemmas.

Most of my neighbours put something on their wishlist I can gift. But I have a mixture of high and low level neighbours who often dont have a wishlist at all, or only want backpack items I don't have, or sometimes higher level players need chargers I can't give because they're not accessible until I level up considerably! Dilemma much?! LOL

I love the daily gifting and having some neighbours - it's changed the game for me completely. But I empathise with uptownnola worrying that you are overthinking it - I hate not doing the right thing in real life or accidently offending someone - so that translates into the game too. Sometimes I stop and remind myself it is a game and people are generally pretty cool about it ....i hope

[Post New]by Librarian2003 on Feb 13, 16 10:34 AM
I'm not sure I'm a high roller, but as anna9lviv said, those things are always useful, so no, don't overthink it, or stress out. The common charges on the first page of the gift box are particularly good, plus the magic dust. If players want something, it will go on the wish list. And players who have reached higher levels do not expect newer players to cough up scads of backpack items.

If it makes you feel any better, when I have nothing on the wish list only about 20% of my neighbours gift anything at all, and that's fine by me, because when I do ask for something, almost everybody gifts one.

So, when there is no wish list to guide you, whether you want to work your way through the gift box, or restrict yourself to common charges, I'm sure no-one will object.

javacupper
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by javacupper on Feb 13, 16 2:30 PM
As a millennial the gifts, that I always appreciate even when not requested, are the charges necessary to complete the various talismans such as the Nautilus Pallium, Wish Master, etc. These include the following and a few more:

Sad Dreams
Heat of Fire
Energy of Attraction
Energy Rocks
Magic Dust
Dark Matter
Null Atom
Smouldering Firestone

I really am not interested in items for current quests unless requested. I am also not interested in items that can be bought for coins as I have amassed mega-millions by reaching this level.

uptownnola
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by uptownnola on Feb 13, 16 2:58 PM
Thank you javacupper- that is exactly what I needed- a list of preferred free gifts-
since I am so new, I have a hard time remembering which charges are the most useful over the long haul. I have gotten far enough to know which ones I have used the most, up to a point, but this helps me a lot-knowing that I'm on the right track with this
a millennial has so many different meanings doesn't it!
thanks again

uptownnola
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by uptownnola on Feb 13, 16 3:01 PM
Thanks librarian- you're a high roller as far as I am concerned ! And a great neighbor- as are so many others who replied
- I can rest easy now and gift away

Happy Valentine's weekend!

Edited on 02/13/2016 at 3:02:13 PM PST

thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

[Post New]by thurber on Feb 13, 16 3:11 PM
I have a slightly different philosophy which may change as I level up. First, I always have at least one freebie on my wish list to make it easy for neighbors of all levels to gift. I don't understand leaving a wish list blank except for an old consensus that if a wish list was blank that person wanted flints or ores. Like Javacupper (a great neighbor, by the way), I'm not interested in charges for current offers unless they're on my wish list, with the exception of items necessary to enter rooms, like hearts or keys. If I want common charges for artifacts they're on my wish list. if they aren't there I don't need them.

If I can't gift from a neighbor's backpack (I never mass gift), I give flints ores or buttons (when available). Yes, one can buy them with coins and at my level I too have plenty. But, I still don't like spending them! I give flints, ores, or buttons, because, unlike artifact charges, you can't put them on your wishlist and we use them every day to help neighbor's creatures.

I never expect a lower level player to gift artifact items. However, I do have some "beginner" neighbors who do so. I wonder if they are depleting their own backpacks. A piece of advice I was given as a starting player was to keep four of each artifact item in your backpack before you gift them to others. It was good advice when I was struggling to assemble artifacts and level up.

Happy gifting everyone!

[Post New]by Trucker1979 on Feb 19, 16 10:57 AM
As for free gifts, you can also aside from the charges, give for free other useful similar items for feeding or helping creatures such as the Silicon Flint, Thorium Ore, etc. Rare or event related gifts such as Bright Button, Golden Mask.

Refrain from gifting priced gifts such as keys, purple gerbera, peacock feather, ruby cowbery, for the 100 or 200 a piece when you are low level (less than 100) and working on unlocking other areas.
At least wait until you have at least the following amount of coins;
285,000 Secrets of Paris
465,000 Times of Knights
650,000 Venice Canals
Japanese Mysteries is still new and the Wikia information for this is still under editing for construction.
In Total if you really want to
Make sure you have that much saved up before you spend it on those priced gifts.
I say this so that when you open a new area after upgrading the portal to the area so you can afford to unlock all the rooms at once instead of one or more at a time. Those are the base cost to unlock all the rooms in the area and not have to use Crystals/Gems which are harder to acquire to unlock each room since they are harder to earn. Instead of spending the 55 crystal per room at 6 rooms for 330 crystals/gems to unlock every room at once. It's best to save up and use the gold coin seeing its easier to come by than crystals, which that 330 (per area) can go toward more useful things such as paying for dragon food if need or to buy other items that you need crystals to buy. Only if you absolutely need it, do not spend your crystals.
Got a little off topic there but I say that to give you an idea of what to do to make it easier when it comes to the next area to explore so instead of one room at a time like with the Manor, you can unlock and explore ALL rooms in the next area at ONCE so you can then explore and complete the daily challenges (5 Ghost any area, 5 rooms in Shadow/Dark/Jumbled/etc Mode) using the new area. This is how I like to open and explore a new area anyway. But as I said for Gifting at the start, spend wisely when it comes to gifting items that cost coin. Gifting becomes easier every tenth level.

uptownnola
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by uptownnola on Feb 19, 16 1:26 PM
Opening rooms all at once makes a lot of sense in the way you describe it- so that you can take advantage of the visiting in different ways- thanks for the total info- that gives a good target to reach for

Energyworker
Herring
Herring
335 Posts

[Post New]by Energyworker on Feb 20, 16 8:01 AM
Why do some people have nothing on their wish lists? I understand for beginners who may have no idea they have a wish list however I would think everyone else would.

DraperLady
Minnow
Minnow
261 Posts

[Post New]by DraperLady on Feb 20, 16 9:45 AM
There are times when I don't have anything on my wishlist. This is because I just don't need anything. I try to keep no more than 40 common charges and don't want to stockpile hundreds of these just so my neighbors have something easy to gift. (I don't play more than a few hours a day so I don't assemble artifacts as quickly as those who play many hours.)

I also try not to ask for BP items that I should be able to get from my own searches, though when I do, my neighbors respond with tremendous generosity.

When I feel guilty about my empty wishlist, there are times when I put a bunch of items on it that I know everyone has lots of. Neighbors are thrilled to dump these items on someone else! And then there are my themed wishlists, like all hats, all watches, all green things... Just for fun and just trying to keep it interesting after almost 3 years of play.

[Post New]by Librarian2003 on Feb 20, 16 10:01 AM
Like DraperLady, many times I just don't need anything, which is why I have an empty wishlist. I generally don't put backpack items on there - I take the view that it's the point of the game to find them, tedious though that can sometimes be. As for the common charges, I've got several hundred of each of them, all gifts from kind neighbours, and I never object to getting more. But normally I don't need to ask for them.

So my wish list now is mainly for charges for the weekly quest, if I'm doing it, or for the odd thing I might be short of.

Although, sometimes I feel guilty and stick some charges on there to make it easy for people to gift....

Go to: