Need help with possible bug - coal mining

[Post New]by xander32839 on Dec 8, 09 9:11 AM
First, let me say that I love the Westward games and own all of them. This is the first one I've had a problem with. I'm at the point where bandits have blocked the train. My hero defeated the bandits, collected their loot, met the miners, gathered over 60 coal. Now the problem is that the game does not recognize that the coal quest is complete. The miners (one blue circle, one yellow) are useless. There is a red arrow pointing at the "coal mine". I have collected all of the coal scattered around (even in the cart and down the river.

I have read the comments on other forums and discovered that quite a few people have the same exact issue. So far, nobody has suggested a working solution. In fact, they just keep repeating the steps needed to complete the quest and talk down to the person making the request - as if he has no idea what he is doing. Let me say up front that I am familiar with the game mechanics and gameplay for all three previous games.

Now for the problem:
I cannot build the mine without the blueprint. I cannot get the blueprint because the fence gate is closed. I can't open the gate until the miners acknowledge the 60 coal. The miners are both unresponsive (the one that helped mine can still be moved around, but won't do anything). I have 64 coal and the quest still shows incomplete. The build button is grayed out. I cannot purchase a blueprint since I am short 3 gold. I cannot get thru the gate to the wagon to demolish it. I have played the game three times to the same point with the same results. (And I'm using Henry as the hero.)

My next attempt will be uninstalling the game and re-downloading it - unless somebody can offer a better suggestion. I'm also going to install it on my desktop computer to see if it works on a different computer.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me. I love this series of games and bought it without even trying the demo first. I'm crushed that there's an issue with this one.

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

Re:Need help with possible bug - coal mining

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Dec 8, 09 9:51 AM
There are no bugs, in fact SLGs have already updated the Version before they released it, the new version is...1.002... I don't have my paperwork in front of me so I might be a number off.

It took me and a bunch of people to figure this one out, xander and IMO, so far is the hardest one. lol (this series is soo different then the others, for one, no saloon is in this series....{reckon it's a dry county} should of had moonshiners then. Also you can build a 'doctors office' so went ppl get sick u right click on it and they go there to get cure...but, you can leave them alone and they'll get well on their own). Where in the old games, we could play extra games at the Sheriff's office, not on this one, this one is at the train station....there are sooo many new things, just wait and see. lol

Your best bet is going to SLGs and checking out their walkthrough for the game.

But I can help you with this one and then it isn't all that hard.

First let me say though...."Welcome to the Pond"!

Okay...when going to get the coal, forget all about those little piles of coal you see laying around..go and talk to the guy at the coal mine, help him finish getting the coal (at the mine), which I believe will give you 20 pieces of coal, after that he'll say something about that's all he can go, then either the 2nd guy will speak up or you'll have to walk over to him to get him to talk, after he says what he has to say, the fence will open up, go through the fence, and take your Hero over to the wagon train and they'll take care of that for you, oh and you won't have the 60 coal when you go through the fence now but don't worry as you'll get it after going through that fence, in face I didn't even have to pick up the rest of those piles of coal laying around...after you get the 60 coal someone or maybe it's over by the wagon train that you'll be able to get the dynamite to use on blowing that rock up that's blocking the train.......hmmm.....seems like ya can buy more dyamite if ya need which you won't...sorry if this isn't all that clear but I got the game back when it was released on Nov. 13th.

If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll go find my tips...oh wait that's right, I emailed myself the tips from over at SLGs....lol.....just don't know if BF would let me post them on here....so if a mod.s reading this, let me know and I can post some tips, without mentioning any names. Hopefully they'll answer soon as I don't know how long I'm gonna be on here.

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Dec 8, 09 10:01 AM
you can also get tips for this game over at Gamezebo...I think we're allowed to say their name...if not then it's G.Z. in case a mod deletes the name of that game site [of if someone lets me know I'm not suppose to say it] which this MargieB came from there and talked about it, even on one of her contest, I think it's all right to use their name. ROFL wow those 2 shots the dr. gave me for my Fibro. must have just kicked in! hahaha

xanader, forgot to mention, about that 'red arrow' I think when all the coal is gone you'll have to build a coal mine but they'll let you know if ya have to build one or not.

Good luck!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 8, 09 10:14 AM
My version from Sandlot is 1.003- maybe they did do another update?

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Dec 8, 09 10:16 AM
going backwards for a second....lol..... 'Go to the east where the wagon is and open everything. also with hero selected click on the wagon. they will bang on it for a while then you will get another item once the wagon disappears...blueprints are in this area'....

Oh here ya go...follow this and you will make it through..........

Let see if this helps. (BTW, these tips someone did for me so I'm passing them on)

1. kill bandits

2. talk to guy mining the wall

3. mine coal

4. share the job with the original guy

5. get necessary coal
a) then the fence to the right opens walk thru it

6. destroy the wagon pick up everything

7. open blueish box (blueprints)

8. unlock coal mine (1st building to unlock)

9. return to coal entrance

10. build coal mine

11. employ both guys at mine

12. walk around and pick up coal

13. they thank you and get dynamite (pick up)

14. take dynamite to rocks in front of train and blow up done.

Oh and that 'gem' you'll see before ya get to the fence, just ignore it, ya don't need it nor can you carrying the money over to next level...reckon it's one of a few things put in the game for you to wonder about. LOL follow those tips and you'll be out in no time!

Have fun

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Dec 8, 09 10:20 AM
govegril wrote:My version from Sandlot is 1.003- maybe they did do another update?

mine could be 1.003, gove...like I said I've got it down somewhere in my paperwork/tips and haven't have the chance to look at all the tips I wrote down before emailing them to myself. LOL Shoot, I haven't even been home all that long. LOL after the doctors I did go buy a little bit of food...put them away, kicked off my boots and jumped on here. LOL

[Post New]by xander32839 on Dec 8, 09 10:30 AM
Well,

I've already tried working out the mine first (before collecting any of the loose coal) and that didn't work. Neither of the miners said anything - they just stood there like they were waiting for something. That's when the red arrow appeared over the "mine". After the miner asks me to grab a shovel and help him dig, he doesn't say anything at all - even after we're done digging. And the red arrow pointing at the mine doesn't allow any clicking from the hero, the miner, or simply to select it.

So, I gathered up the rest of the coal. Between each action, I checked the gate by walking up to it and even clicked on the other side (in case he went around a different way).

Also, I've been through the forum on GZ and those on a few other sites. Apparently, quite a few people are having the same issue and the responses have been very condescending to them - as if they had no idea what they were doing. I really believe there is a problem with the file - either the download itself or a compatibility issue.

I'm just at a loss here. I'll try going through the same motions with the sister as the hero. If that doesn't work, I'll uninstall and re-install the game (on both PCs). I'll post any results to this forum.

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Dec 8, 09 10:35 AM
Hey Gove, I just came from SLGs and the only new build they have is this"

Version 1.002 of Westward IV has been approved and is now available for download on the Sandlot Games website. This new version fixes a number of issues, including:

and then it lists things that were wrong with the game....

this was dated Nov. 23th.

I uninstalled and reinstalled game right after seeing this version and for those that want to know, you do not lose "your place" in the game, uhh of course I did buy my game from them so I don't know if that makes a difference or not but I'm pretty sure everyone has the updated version now, easy enough to see...when ya turn the game on look to the bottom left and it gives you the version...but to be sure since the 23rd of Nov. everyone that downloaded the game, for the first time...has the new build/version.

Let me know if those tips helped you, xander, okay?

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 8, 09 10:45 AM
Hi Cyndi-
Yes I know they say that over there.

I tried the Big Fish version and it said Big Fish 1.002- anyway that did not work for me (access violation) so I went to Sandlot and downloaded it direct and it has Sandlot 1.003 in the bottom right corner- this was only a few hours ago I downloaded it.

If you download it now you will see what I mean

Anyway not sayng it will fix xanders problem but it seems they are still updating and working on the game.

Edited on 12/08/2009 at 10:52:52 AM PST

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Dec 8, 09 10:52 AM
xander32839 wrote:Well,

I've already tried working out the mine first (before collecting any of the loose coal) and that didn't work. Neither of the miners said anything - they just stood there like they were waiting for something. That's when the red arrow appeared over the "mine". After the miner asks me to grab a shovel and help him dig, he doesn't say anything at all - even after we're done digging. And the red arrow pointing at the mine doesn't allow any clicking from the hero, the miner, or simply to select it.

So, I gathered up the rest of the coal. Between each action, I checked the gate by walking up to it and even clicked on the other side (in case he went around a different way).

Also, I've been through the forum on GZ and those on a few other sites. Apparently, quite a few people are having the same issue and the responses have been very condescending to them - as if they had no idea what they were doing. I really believe there is a problem with the file - either the download itself or a compatibility issue.

I'm just at a loss here. I'll try going through the same motions with the sister as the hero. If that doesn't work, I'll uninstall and re-install the game (on both PCs). I'll post any results to this forum.

sorry to hear that xander...I know it took me several tries...one I forgot about is... 'saving a quest or anything I finished' in case I had trouble I could go back to that 'save', hit 'load' and retry. The only way I got it to work for me was to start that quest all over again, of course I did have it save...after restarting the whole game over again that is. LOL

I just came from SLGs and if you go look for a certain thread on 'WWIV Walkthrus Available' it list several places to go, I just read a couple of messages though...have you checked out their, ''coal quest tutoriail'' yet? That's the one that got me through it.

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Dec 8, 09 11:00 AM
govegril wrote:Hi Cyndi-
Yes I know they say that over there.

I tried the Big Fish version and it said Big Fish 1.002- anyway that did not work for me (access violation) so I went to Sandlot and downloaded it direct and it has Sandlot 1.003 in the bottom right corner- this was only a few hours ago I downloaded it.

If you download it now you will see what I mean

Anyway not sayng it will fix xanders problem but it seems they are still updating and working on the game.

Hmmm verryyy interesting, gove. lol well since I bought the game from SL and am not having a bit of trouble with it, I think I'm gonna leave it like it is, till or rather if I start to have trouble with the game. Did you get out of the 'coal quest' or are you also stuck in it'? I hope everyone can get pass this so you'll be able to check out all the new things this game offers....my only 'complaint' so far is to many freaking earthquakes! And I'm in Woodenville or whatever ya call that town. (psstt when ya get to the Buffalos, I thought I'd have to kill them like the wolves but ya don't...one is lost...poor fellow...lol...good thing I decided to take it with us, otherwise I'd of had to turn around and go back to get him, yep learning this game, take everything ya can with you and don't forget to Save/Save/Save! LOL

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 8, 09 11:40 AM
Cyndi i got through the coal quest without issue. I only played the one hour trial so far.. not sure what to do about buying the game just yet as it seems my pc does not like 1.002 so will probably end up buying from Sandlot.

And good advise about saving - its easy to forget you can do that when used to the way most casual games work

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 8, 09 12:14 PM
I'm not sure whether there is a bug with the Coal Mine quota, but even without one it is a lot trickier than it needs to be, which is why so many people have trouble with it.

You can find complete details along with a screenshot in the Blog Walkthrough posted free here at Big Fish Games, but here's the short answer if there's no bug but there's a sequence problem..

You can't build a Coal Mine until the second Miner has told you about the supplies that were lost in the hills.

So you need to talk to the first Miner, collect some coal for him, come back to him.

Either your Hero or the Miner or both need to work on removing the coal from the visible vein.

Once the visible vein is removed and you're ready for a coal mine, he'll say something else.

THEN you need to go over and talk to the other coal miner, and he will tell you that they had a blueprint for a coal mine and some supplies, but "they were lost in the hills."

Then and only then can you go looking for the supplies, which you'll find near a covered wagon. (The Blog Walkthrough has a screenshot of what you're looking for.)

Collect the suppplies, including opening a blue crate with the blueprint in it, then come back and build the coal mine.

Then you'll be able to complete that Quest, and the Miners will give you the TNT you need to complete the other Quest in this Mission.

To get to the Blog Walkthrough, click on the Try This Game link at the top of this page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

If on the other hand the first Coal Miner isn't talking to you before or after you've removed the visible vein, then that does indeed sound like a bug, and I would talk to tech support wherever you bought the game.

It may be that the number of people having trouble with the sequence problem are obscuring what is a true bug. Very frustrating, I'm sure!

Good luck!
Robin

Edited on 12/08/2009 at 12:48:03 PM PST

[Post New]by xander32839 on Dec 8, 09 10:10 PM
Re-installing the game on my laptop didn't help. I played all the way through to the Train Heist and had the same results - the miners wouldn't talk after digging the coal.

However, when I installed the game on my desktop PC, it works fine. The miners talk, the gate opens. Hallelujah! I'm on Up and Running, Extra Supplies, Fur Trader, and Archaeological Discovery now.

I'm not sure why it won't work on my laptop. The only major difference is that it is Vista 64-bit while my other PC is Vista 32-bit. I've never had any other problems with programs/games acting differently on them.

I'll try uninstalling and re-installing one more time on the laptop, just in case. I'd really like to have this game when I travel.

Keepin' my fingers crossed!

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 8, 09 10:12 PM
I'm so glad you got it to work! I would definitely report that to Tech Support--they need to know if there's a 64 bit issue.

Robin

[Post New]by lisaisanangel on Dec 13, 09 9:47 PM
I got the exact same bug/issue playing the first time through with the collecting 60 and the character not saying anything.

I'm also at another coal quest right now in Turner Railway - Up and Running. You are required to process 100 coal. I have processed over 300 and nothing more is happening, I've employed 2 people at the train yard and there is someone at the railway station. The number when I click on the Train Yard was (at last check) 338/100 but nothing more is happening and no quests are coming up or people to talk to. Anyone having this issue as well?

Go to: