eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

Not the best MCF game

[Post New]by eedebeep on Dec 8, 10 9:43 AM
Its okay but not nearly as good as Ravenhearst 2 or Madame Fate. MCF- can we have LESS of the character acting scenes? If I want to watch acting, I'll rent a movie![/b][b] Didn't like it in Dire Grove and its more invasive in this one! Its really annoying that you can't skip those scenes or fast forward through them. It seems like a cop out for the game writers to use these scenes so much.

The storyline is insipid and doing chores and finding objects for characters is pretty boring!

I miss the usual MCF creepy sound when you find an object. I also don't like being led through the game with the comments, couldn't find how to turn them off. I hated the guy yelling at the end "hurry up you're running out of time etc" and ended up turning off the speakers to finish the game. Not nearly enough puzzles or difficult hidden objects.

MCF please do another like Madame Fate with the odd clever puzzles and fun hidden object scenes!

Summary: This game is not on the level of Madame Fate or RTR. Lets have less acting and more odd difficult puzzles!

Edited on 12/08/2010 at 9:56:03 AM PST

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by destinytd on Dec 8, 10 5:57 PM
I Really liked this game took a few days to get through, kinda hard in some places, the real actors were great like to see more of that. Very nice game!! Great job.

One complaint the bad guy, repeating stuff and the pirate every couple of seconds does get annoying.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by np6524 on Dec 8, 10 7:16 PM
I have never commented on any game here at Big Fish but felt I had to voice my disappointment in this game. I have loved every MCF game, especially RTR and DG. Following those two great games, this was such a let down. I was completely surprised at how easy they made this game. Told you what to do, where to go. Absolutely no challenge. I feel like MCF sold out and made this a middle of the road **** hum game. I had always been impressed with MCF and I always knew it would be challenging. 13th Skull was not at all. They should have given the player the option of how hard they wanted the game to be. After I finished the last two MCF games I immediately played them again. I don't know if I'll ever play 13th Skull again. Such a let down. I've lost my faith in MCF.

Edited on 12/08/2010 at 7:18:34 PM PST

SassiAngel
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by SassiAngel on Dec 8, 10 8:04 PM
I played the demo version and really wasn't that thrilled with it! Maybe ya just need to get farther in the game before it gets better. That being said, I really want to play the whole thing, but do NOT want to pay for the CE if I don't like it. Anyone know when the regular version is supposed to be released?

Thanks!!

AlexisMH
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by AlexisMH on Dec 9, 10 2:58 AM
I hate to admit it--I also bought this game without downloading a trial, based on my past experiences with Mystery Case Files. This one, eh, not so good. And I think I actually lost somehow. In the end, all I had were twelve skulls when I tried to play Last Rites, so I didn't have a head for everyone. And ultimately, I didn't even care.

The graphics were so-so and that constant nagging, nagging, first by Lawson (and are we to suppose that we let a child drown?), and then by Captain Hook, or whoever he was. First we're told the Detective (us) has been brought in because he/she is so good at detecting, but then there's Lawson threatening us and telling us we're running out of time. How? If Lawson kills the detective, his "expert," doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting him out there to begin with?

Here's hoping the next offering will be as exciting as Ravenhurst and some of the others.

[Post New]by boredhousewife1 on Dec 9, 10 6:21 AM
I was also so looking forward to this new MFC game, but was very disappointed. Graphics were great but the real people got on my nerves. Too much talking, too much hand holding throughout the game and very little to do in each location, constantly going backwards and forwards for one item here and there. Not enough HOG and puzzles were either too easy or impossible without hints. I did like the hint system though. Long game, but not actually very much to do other than listen to a lot of talking or wandering around pointlessley. Should have made the map so that you could click to get to various locations. Being told to 'hurry up detective' repeatedly was intensley annoying so played in mute. RTR and Madame fate were amazing. What a shame!

tuesday40
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by tuesday40 on Dec 9, 10 6:38 AM
Just finished the game. Thought that overall it was not the best MCF game but I liked that each game is random in the solutions to the puzzle. I just looked at the walkthrough and noticed that many of the solutions they have differ from mine because each game is unique. What I didn't like was the long conversations and being yelled at by first Blanston and then the pirate near the end - I turned off the speakers. I think morphing objects should have been a part of the game and I think I will go back and play Dire Grove again for comparisons sake. Still overall, I thought it was good value for the money. As a game club member I think we should be allowed to use credits for this game - but I will continue to look forward to the next Mystery Case Files game.

deejac
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by deejac on Dec 9, 10 1:58 PM
Like a few of the comments beforehand, there was something about this MCF I couldn't get on with, it didn't seem to have the same 'umph' that so many of the previous had. However, I did enjoy it and well done to BFG may there be many more.

[Post New]by tblamo on Dec 9, 10 2:26 PM
I've been a HOG fan for a long time, loved the MCF games (especially Ravenheast, RTR and Dire Grove) and I've never posted before to say how much I liked them. I wish I had, because I have to say I agree with many others - I was pretty disappointed in this game. I was willing to overlook the swamp setting and the live actors and the overly long dialogues but the objectives and handholding took most of the fun out of the game for me to the point where I wasn't interested in solving the puzzles or even trying hard to find all of the insignias. I was glued to my computer for the other games but almost had to force myself to finish this one. MCF are still my favorite games but I can't list this as one of my favorites. However, thanks to MCF and BFG for the hours of entertainment you've provided, and even though this wasn't, in my opinion, one of your best I'm still grateful for each of your games.

Edited on 12/09/2010 at 2:32:11 PM PST

janierae
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by janierae on Dec 9, 10 2:39 PM
Just finished the game and must say I was disappointed with the ending. I enjoyed all aspects of the game, interaction with characters, acting, graphics, **** scenes, and the music, but the ending didn't do it for me. I have played RTR and Madame Fate over several times, doubt I will play this one again.

redbird34
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by redbird34 on Dec 9, 10 7:34 PM
NOW THIS IS THE WAY GAMES SHOULD BE! I really enjoyed this game, It has everything. I have always liked MCF but they really outdid themselves this time. When will the next one be out?

diggermonty
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by diggermonty on Dec 9, 10 7:54 PM
Very enjoyable and easy to play. Subtle hints and neat puzzles. Keep an eye on the journal though. Some very useful clues and hints are constantly being added there.
As usual, the MCF graphics were superb.
The "real" actors in the scenes were well integrated and digitally enhanced. The lip-sync was at times out-of-step.
I played it over the span of three evenings and lost the track of time. The snake that popped out in one scene gave me a real start.
I give it a 8.5/10.

More games of this quality please BFG.

[Post New]by mornin2012 on Dec 10, 10 9:05 AM
just wanted to say i realy liked this game, despite the anoying comments from lawson and the pirate, and thought it well worth the money

[Post New]by marytinsd on Dec 10, 10 4:44 PM
I agree with others who have noted the distracting dialog - don't care for the game. They took the fun out of MCF - felt like I was being led on a leash. My personal fav is still RTR - awesome that the game just started and you had to figure everything out yourself. Wish MCF would go back to that format!

Erin92486
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Erin92486 on Dec 11, 10 9:43 AM
Like many others, I bought MCF 13th Skull without seeing the demo, and like many others, feel it was only so-so and I share many of the same complaints. What I would like to say are some good things. You have three types of “hint” dialog to choose from: Friendly, Southern, and Snarky. I thought the Southern and Snarky were a hoot!! (I even randomly clicked on things to see what would be said next) I liked the live action on top of animation. It took some getting used to (and some of the acting made my theater-background hackles rise), but it’s new and MCF did something pretty cool. The animation was very lifelike and well done. The piano actually played the correct notes!! I love that kind of detail!! The HOBs had their difficult moments, as they should. I loved the ability to go outside the house and explore the town and swamp; some HOB games are very limited in where you can go and what you can do. The one dislike that I did not see many people comment on was the lack of morphing objects. I really liked those and missed them!

jma0909
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jma0909 on Dec 11, 10 2:15 PM
Great game. Love the "real" people. I downloaded this when it first came out and was hesitant to even try it. Thought it was another dark, dark one. Not that I don't like them too. Downloaded today and bought sale price 13.99! What a Deal!!
So far its not too easy or too hard, but, like baby bear's bed...just right lol.
Don't usually buy CEs, but just had to have this. Thanks all fishies for comments and reviews. Helps me alot.

[Post New]by carriea81 on Dec 11, 10 3:25 PM
I have to say this game was just ok. i was disappointed in a few things. I like that mcf always seems one step ahead of all of the other games out there. trying new and innovative ideas. still not sure about the real people. i kind of like talking to drawn characters. i love the artistic aspect of that. I am REALLY disappointed that it wasnt a continuation of the other ravenhurst plot lines. i kept expecting something, but was very very sadly disappointed. sniff, sniff. the music was good at first but then never changes so i had to turn it off after 2 hours. couldnt take it anymore. this game was weird for me, it was a really good game, just not what i was expecting. plus the maid looks like my grandmother which was eerie.

the hints were great and i liked that the game didnt freeze when i had small issues finding things. i would have actually liked more hidden oject scenes. for a hidden object game it didnt seem to have enough. i hated that you had to be so precise with the metal detector and the doll machine and the glass on the door. but i did like the idea of that part of the game. my sister and brother actually had to skip the doll machine cause it would not give them the doll after 30 times. i got it on my third try.

my last thing is this, i am mad that i have to wait a whole year to get another mcf game that hopefully will have the ravenhurst plot continuation. that is one of the reasons why i love these games. there is usually really good story lines. i see what they were trying to accomplish with this game but i feel that it didnt quite meet my mcf game standards.

katlady3
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by katlady3 on Dec 11, 10 4:49 PM
I have a question...which game is better, this one, or Haunted Legends/Queen of Spades? I'm trying to decide which one to buy. I can't decide between the 2...so I hope someone here will help me to make up my mind. I do already own the other MCF games. Thanks for all your help!

Oaktown1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Oaktown1 on Dec 11, 10 8:10 PM
katlady3 wrote:I have a question...which game is better, this one, or Haunted Legends/Queen of Spades? I'm trying to decide which one to buy. I can't decide between the 2...so I hope someone here will help me to make up my mind. I do already own the other MCF games. Thanks for all your help!

Just my opinion ... neither one is great, but if you made me choose, I'd go with 13th Skull. I just finished Queen of Spades about 30 minutes ago ... it's even simpler than 13th Skull. The puzzles are "you've gotta be kidding me - that's it?!" simple. Trust me, even if you're a rookie player, I'd be surprised if you'd need a hint in QoS, let alone have to check the walkthrough. Like I said, neither one is great, but go with 13th Skull.

sirhc56
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by sirhc56 on Dec 11, 10 9:03 PM
Well, I really liked 13 skulls. Unlike some of you superb players I only got a 54% completion on my first time through. It is fairly easy, but the SG doesn"t tell you where everything is (insignias). Now that I have finished it, I will want to play again and do a few things I should have done before completing the bonus game and hopefully get a better "score". Happy gaming all.

Go to: