Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Tales of Terror: Estate of the Heart Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 13, 16 12:46 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/13/2016 at 5:57:03 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Tales of Terror: Estate of the Heart Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Feb 13, 16 5:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Tales of Terror: Estate of the Heart Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Tales of Terror: Estate of the Heart Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Tales of Terror: Estate of the Heart Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Feb 13, 16 6:53 AM
Very nice graphics but honestly otherwise I found the game mainly tedious and painfully slow. Way too many cut scenes and chatter. And another gadget. I want to PLAY and not having to watch a movie with a bit of game. I ended up just pushing the hint button to see where it would take me next.
This game has potential but that's about it for me.

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by judithannegg on Feb 13, 16 6:57 AM
Played demo with 18 minutes left and loving, loving this game! On Windows 10 and no problems. It has a great balance of humor and creepiness! Games and HOS are fun. I really, really (did I mention really?!) like how sometimes you have to go back to a HOS that you already did to get something new?! I love that because you have to really use your brain on not only going forward, but having to retrack your steps to get something else. I am now off to go buy this!

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Feb 13, 16 7:48 AM
Purchased after playing the demo, and I have to say I'm disappointed. The "weirdness" that I liked turned into the "same old thing". Pretty simple and no play beyond a couple of scenes at a time. Finish one...move on to another.

There IS a game gimmick, but it has NO annoying mini-game attached, and it is important to the story.

According to the achievements page, there is a trophy for completing all the SUPER-PUZZLES w/o hints. Looks like they're calling ALL the puzzles "super-puzzles". There will be 23 of them.

Another trophy for using no hints in 19 HOPs. There are morphing objects in the HOPs that turn into gems, when collected. In the extras, the gems are added to a clock, which opens an additional HOP. There is an opportunity to get the ones we miss in the extras.

Collectibles are 42 hearts...no "helping hand" shows up, so it is a TRUE hunt. I found some to be obvious...and some that weren't. A heart icon by the hint button tells you if you got it. Again, cannot tell if there will be a chance to go back if we miss some.

Strategy guide, bonus game, and the usual CE stuff. I saw NO replay of puzzles or HOPs. At this point, I don't know if I'll even finish it. If the sale had not been so good for Game Club members, I'd be TOTALLY miffed. It is like playing a different game, AFTER the demo.

Playing on a PC, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit...NO issues.

Edited on 02/14/2016 at 1:20:40 AM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Feb 13, 16 8:36 AM
I never liked the tales of terror games so I downloaded this one with no expectations, and it started with a haunted house, oh really I thought, but I was pleasantly surprised, this game is actually really good, I had a really good time playing the demo.

Only one problem, with the nice sale, which other game to take ??!

Recommend!!!!

Edited on 02/13/2016 at 8:37:27 AM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Tales of Terror: Estate of the Heart Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by didersham on Feb 13, 16 10:58 AM
I am disappointed in this game. I was hoping to like it, because I like the first two Tales of Terror. This game is nothing like the first two. It is very mechanical in the since of gadgets, mechanical dragonflies, mechanical shark, mechanical and mechanical eyeballs. It is like playing a Puppet Show game. It is not much of a ghost haunting if you ask me, because you are annoyed by gadgets and not haunted by ghost. Putting together inventory items together within your inventory overload. I do not care for the feature and they go way overboard in this game. Where is the adventure in the games of today??? Go to a few rooms or scenes, accomplish the tasks, go to a few more rooms or scenes accomplish the tasks and etc.....boring and takes away from the challenge of having to use your memory. Gone are the days of using a diary, I guess??? I felt like I was playing an IPXX game again!!! Oh, how I miss the challenge in playing a game. They simplify the games too much for the past 4 years now! I was hoping they would get better at making the games more challenging again, but I guess not.

I am playing on windows 7 home premium 64 bit and no tech issues so far.

Edited on 02/13/2016 at 1:34:55 PM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Feb 13, 16 1:08 PM
Simply love this game! Bought it together with the Danse Macabre this morning. Now I am rescuing my jerky Jesse again and again in this specially haunted mansion.

Ok, not everybody's taste but of course very inspiring for me!

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Feb 13, 16 7:43 PM
I beta tested this game. I didn't like it then & after playing the demo like it even less.

Tedious, boring, storyline with continuity being lost due to endless/unnecessary back & forth.

Graphics are of the intermediate art student variety. Characters are wooden without realism & the mouth movements are not in sync with what is being said.

HOGS are messy junk piles but are interactive. Puzzles were easy & some of them were just silly, with the cleaning the mirror as a prime example.

I was able to snag quite a few of the collectibles & even some of the morphing objects....yea team!

The music was the usual fare & with the hint button you are able to jump to the next screen so I never looked at the map.

This dreary game is a definite NO buy for me. Give the demo a whirl & see if this estate is one you really want to visit.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 16, 16 6:04 AM
I'm about half-way through this game, and a lot of people have described the gameplay well and thoroughly, so I'm not going to do the same. I think it's a good game, with an interesting premise (overly doting, dangerous husband), and a lot of sometimes fun, gadgety looks going on, even if somewhat repetitive. I wanted to thank the devs. for actually trying to maintain a mostly successful early 20th century look, particularly in costume and hair (well, sort of successful), except for the lipstick that shows up in a HOP (lipsticks did not exist then), and a few other anomalies which can be explained away by the husband being an inventor (a lot of electric light and a radio, totally out of time, but I let that pass). There are some real problems with the game though: If you haven't completed a task before you try and do a task a little later in the game, even if those two tasks are totally unrelated, the second task won't even open up for gameplay. The SG will show this is the next thing to do, the hint button will circle the area, but it won't open, leading to a lot of figuring out what was missed. I almost never use the SG during gameplay other than to check collectibles, and I've used this one several times, to find where I didn't do something -- in one case, I hadn't clicked on a staircase in a kitchen. The staircase collapsed when I finally clicked on it, but it contributed nothing to the gameplay. Plus, in trying to place items to complete a task, sometimes if the item isn't exactly where a gear icon is, the item keeps being rejected and sent back to inventory. This is frustrating, particularly since the gears are often not directly on or by where the item is supposed to be placed. Other times you can place something vaguely within the correct area and it registers right away. This slows gameplay and is really irritating after a while. I play without sparkles and it might be more obvious with them about some of the problems I encountered, but I wonder. Nice game, but can be wearing with the issues, and the sometimes repetitive nature of the play.

Meganthedog
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Meganthedog on Feb 19, 16 9:08 AM
I spoke too soon with this one. I gave it a rave review on the game page and, at the time, it was warranted. However, as the game progressed, the spookiness evaporated and the fun factor fell off considerably. It was a decent enough game, I suppose, but nowhere near a masterpiece.

IMLadyRed
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by IMLadyRed on Feb 20, 16 12:08 PM
game is broken ...can't finish...save your money....

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 25, 16 11:01 AM
9otters wrote:Purchased after playing the demo, and I have to say I'm disappointed. The "weirdness" that I liked turned into the "same old thing". Pretty simple and no play beyond a couple of scenes at a time. Finish one...move on to another.

There IS a game gimmick, but it has NO annoying mini-game attached, and it is important to the story.

According to the achievements page, there is a trophy for completing all the SUPER-PUZZLES w/o hints. Looks like they're calling ALL the puzzles "super-puzzles". There will be 23 of them.

Another trophy for using no hints in 19 HOPs. There are morphing objects in the HOPs that turn into gems, when collected. In the extras, the gems are added to a clock, which opens an additional HOP. There is an opportunity to get the ones we miss in the extras.

Collectibles are 42 hearts...no "helping hand" shows up, so it is a TRUE hunt. I found some to be obvious...and some that weren't. A heart icon by the hint button tells you if you got it. Again, cannot tell if there will be a chance to go back if we miss some.

Strategy guide, bonus game, and the usual CE stuff. I saw NO replay of puzzles or HOPs. At this point, I don't know if I'll even finish it. If the sale had not been so good for Game Club members, I'd be TOTALLY miffed. It is like playing a different game, AFTER the demo.

Playing on a PC, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit...NO issues.

Totally agree. I thought it would be quirky and a bit different, but after the demo, it's the same old stuff. I was very bored by the end and I'm actually not bothering with the bonus game, which is the only reason I buy a CE anyway.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

Who Believes in Ghosts? I Do!

[Post New]by Beingknown on Mar 2, 16 3:59 PM
GREETINGS FELLOW FISHIE FRIENDS

I think this game is lots of fun. I love collecting the hearts (Yes, pun intended, sorry
I am a big fan of morphing objects, (of which this game has 42) The game play was smooth and without glitches, scenes changed seamlessly and without lagging and the inventory items were easy to use. Overall, game play was above par.

I found the story line entertaining, although for me, the game play is always much more important, than the story line. I'm not a big fan of hidden object scenes (these old eyes of mine hate to squint!) But I found these clear enough to see and even somewhat fun to solve. I am a big fan of good graphics and I thoroughly enjoyed the bright, well contrasted and deeply saturated colors in both game play and hidden object scenes.

I am a puzzle enthusiast and I found the mini games and puzzles to be enjoyable and very doable. As always, I appreciate a map that transports and lets you know if you have tasks to do somewhere. It frees one from the running back and forth some people find tedious.

I recommend this game.

HAPPY GAMING!
~B

Go to: