phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera

[Post New]by phatkhat on Dec 9, 09 12:19 PM
Demoing this game, and it is pretty good! It has annoying music, which I shut off, but otherwise is a nice, moderately challenging IHOG. It's in beta, and not sure how long before it is released.

It is a mystery about an opera troupe brought to an abandoned village to perform for the local count - who appears to be a vampire. It's up to you to solve the mystery of the murders and disappearances and escape alive!

You don't have to find large numbers of objects, but they're well hidden, and those who have a problem with small objects may want to leave this one on the shelf. The graphics are very good, though, and I'm working on a 15" laptop instead of my usual 24" monitor, and I'm able to find 99% of them.

The characters are cartoony, and the voice acting is kind of hammy, but I find the game to be quite campy and fun. Hopefully it will come here when it is released. It looks like it might be fairly long.

Vaugh
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,254 Posts

Re:Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera

[Post New]by Vaugh on Dec 9, 09 1:39 PM
I found this on the developers site

"With the highly anticipated release of Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera, Vast has partnered up with Big Fish Games to release a Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera - Collector's Edition which will debut on Big Fish Games in early January. This version will include never before seen content, in depth strategy guides, wallpapers and a preview of our upcoming games not available in the standard version. Check back soon for release dates!"

MrsSkippy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,388 Posts

[Post New]by MrsSkippy on Dec 9, 09 1:46 PM
Is it January yet ?

[Post New]by lilprincessred13 on Dec 9, 09 1:54 PM
Sounds like a neat game, but.......... I see the TREND has begun.....

I just hope there is a regular version too, but it will probably be months after the Collectors Edition

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Dec 9, 09 2:23 PM
I'm not the least bit sorry that I bought the CE of Dire Grove, but honestly I can't see myself buying another CE any time soon (possibly in a year when the next MCF is out). I was hoping this CE business wasn't the start of a trend, but it sure looks like it may be. First Mortimer Beckett and the Lost King, and now this.

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Dec 9, 09 2:35 PM
phatkhat wrote:Demoing this game, and it is pretty good! It has annoying music, which I shut off, but otherwise is a nice, moderately challenging IHOG. It's in beta, and not sure how long before it is released.

It is a mystery about an opera troupe brought to an abandoned village to perform for the local count - who appears to be a vampire. It's up to you to solve the mystery of the murders and disappearances and escape alive!

You don't have to find large numbers of objects, but they're well hidden, and those who have a problem with small objects may want to leave this one on the shelf. The graphics are very good, though, and I'm working on a 15" laptop instead of my usual 24" monitor, and I'm able to find 99% of them.

The characters are cartoony, and the voice acting is kind of hammy, but I find the game to be quite campy and fun. Hopefully it will come here when it is released. It looks like it might be fairly long.

I tried doing the beta at CCG ( figure that's where you did it ) but I got glitched from the get go and could not get past the introductory page from the character called Tiberius.

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Dec 9, 09 2:46 PM
According to Joel on GZ the 19.95 CE's are going to be around in the future. Developers need to make back the money they have spent making the games.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 9, 09 2:57 PM
Some of us could see this coming when BF dropped prices for everyone to the same low price. It was not sustainable.

I do think the system another club has of 2 game credits for a premium game is fair and I am sure more people would support that.

The $19.99 with extras is a trend and as to who started it is debatable. Zuma and Bookworm Adventures may have been the start but I guess who started it is not the issue.

The issue is if we all support it then it will pick up memento.

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Dec 9, 09 2:58 PM
Howatch wrote:I'm not the least bit sorry that I bought the CE of Dire Grove, but honestly I can't see myself buying another CE any time soon (possibly in a year when the next MCF is out). I was hoping this CE business wasn't the start of a trend, but it sure looks like it may be. First Mortimer Beckett and the Lost King, and now this.
it won't become a trend unless people actually spend the money on it. i, for one, won't. i didn't do it with Dire Grove, & won't with any other casual games.

$20, just for an in-game walkthrough & some extra content (like wallpapers, screensavers, jigsaw puzzle, an extra scene or 2) just isn't worth that much extra, to me.

i feel BF is perfectly within their rights, and i have no problem with them doing so, to put CE's out there for those who can afford to/want to spend the extra money. i have no problem waiting a month or so for a regular version. it's not like i'm going to die, or go postal, if i don't have it RIGHT THIS SECOND! it's just a game and i have plenty of those along with plenty of other fun things to do in my life.

i actually applaud whoever came up with such an ingenious & clever idea, even though i'm going to choose not to take advantage of it.

OZJAY
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by OZJAY on Dec 9, 09 3:16 PM
I did beta test this game for BF this week so it must not be far off.

It seemed a bit "clunky" to me - not the software but the flow of the game. I didnt mind the hidden object or mini games as they were a little challenging but the need to keep going back to consult with 1D cartoon characters and then have to find my way back and/or find where i had to go next. Maybe it is just because i have come off playing RTR and Dire Grove (where yes, you have to go backwards and forwards but there seems to be a flow as to where and why) that I am a little spoiled.

The Beta survey asked if I would have a preference to buy and I answered not likely. Could possibly be swayed if i could trail for longer than the Beta lasted and see if a few weeks break from MCF games made me a little more forgiving.

Pay for a CE of this game? - no way.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Dec 9, 09 3:38 PM
beta that game myself last week and i found it very interesting with nice graphics and different. with good puzzles. but the map didn't suggest a very 'big' game. maybe itwas only a part of it that they were ready to show. but i will definitely try it when time comes.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Dec 9, 09 4:30 PM
After the beta of Opera, I think it is a very good game, but NOT one I would pay more than $6.99 for!! No way! It's a very ordinary IHOG, and not even as good as Cherai, IMHO. Good, but not outstanding.

I sprang for DGCE, but that is a game I've been anticipating for a year. I don't regret it, it is an awesome game. But I would hate to see a trend here. $9.95 - maybe even 2 credits for a great game - yeah, but not $20. I think that they will find a lot of people are waiting for the "common" editions of these games. I also think it will be bad for BFGs business if they take this route on a routine basis.

I did buy the Dream Chronicles at PF for $9.95 rather than wait, and $9.95 for a really good game is acceptable. But $19.95 is the price for a rare gem of a game, like DG. NOT like Drawn, even, or HE. I hope very much that the game developers and portals are wise enough to know the difference. I don't mind different price points for different games, but the price should bear some relationship to the cost of development, the cost of production, the quality, and the length. (Nobody went to Argentina to make Opera, that's for sure!)

I have bought some games at P*g*, but even there I wait for a $9.95 sale. That's where I got World of Goo, because I thought BFG would never get it. And also some P*** linked games that award badges and tokens, but that's a different story. P***'s sales are getting pretty close together, and I expect to see them offer all their download games to Club members for $9.95 in the near future.

$19.95 is too much now for a game except for a large file one.like DG. They are going to have to settle for volume sales, I think, and in the end, it's probably more profitable. How do they think WalMart got so big, LOL.

[Post New]by lilprincessred13 on Dec 9, 09 4:51 PM
I just read Picman's post over at GZ. I now understand why they are doing it. If it means more nice games, enhhh I can wait a week or so, maybe

I guess if people have to either buy the Collector's Edition or wait weeks for the regular version, there will always be some who buy the CE and can't wait. Also I guess towards the release date of regular versions, some people will get antsy and buy the CE.

There are some of us who just can't afford that and don't need the extra's and will wait for the regular versions. I assume that not releasing them together drums up more sales because of the impatience factor.

However, the whole MB fiasco was uncalled for. I still believe they back-peddled after DG's CE success. That was one bad PR mess. They should have just fessed up or something. Some type of notification would have been nice. So Papariki will not get my business on that game because of the dishonesty

Edited on 12/09/2009 at 4:51:25 PM PST

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Dec 9, 09 5:49 PM
Demoed it, liked it, wouldn't buy a CE of it.

bamlink
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by bamlink on Dec 9, 09 6:34 PM
<Sigh> Somehow I knew this was going to be a trend as soon as I saw the Collector's Edition of Dire Grove.

In the end, however, pricing will ultimately be determined by the consumer. If people pay $19.95 for a casual game, then more will appear at that price. If people hold off and wait to purchase the $6.99 version, then the cheaper version will appear all the more quickly to capitalize on 'new game excitement' before it passes onto another offering.

I, for one, did not buy Dire Grove because it clearly was price goughing based on anticipation. I will not buy other games at triple the price either.

BFG, and all the other game sites, better think carefully about which business model generates more revenue for them in the long run: much fewer customers buying much fewer games at a higher price, or many more customers buying many more games at a reasonable price.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 9, 09 7:08 PM
Thanks for the gameinfo!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 9, 09 7:38 PM
I had the beta sent to me an thought it was a good game- but I think lots of games are good

This game does not have a fan base that I am aware so why would we want a Collectors Edition?
ANyone out there collect Curse of the Opera games?

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 10, 09 1:53 PM
Quite frankly, I was disappointed in CE of Dire Grove. I loved the game but felt like I would have done just as well to use the walkthrough. Anyway, I am not interested in CEs of any other games. I will just wait for the regular ones, and if I can't find a game I want to play, I will just stock up on more books and read my way through the winter, lol.

[Post New]by wiskywoman on Jan 19, 10 11:15 PM
Played the demo of this game and really liked it. According to Vast, is suppose to be released through BF in January...anyone hear about the release date?

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jan 19, 10 11:20 PM
Well, there is only a week and a half of January left, LOL. Dang, I miss my computer. The old one just doesn't like games.

Go to: