unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

Game designers treat players as Idiots - Are you sure you want to quit?

[Post New]by unclepaul on Feb 16, 16 1:43 AM
I searched for a general section of the forums but there does not appear to be one . All forums are game specific with no General Games thread.
I did a search on this topic and found over 300 complaints of a similar nature.

You have just played a game for 5 minutes or hours and decide to finish so you hit the quit button. Then you see:
Are you Sure?
Do you really want to exit?
Are you sure you want to quit?
Quit the game?
Do you really want to quit the game?

Well let me see - you have a quit button, or Exit button and I clicked it. Unless I am an idiot that was my intention. The worst that could happen would be that I would have to restart the game.
Why are game designers so desparate to make sure we don't quit their games by mistake? Don't they trust the clarity of their controls - Exit, Quit? Don't they believe we have the intelligence to know that when we click those buttons we are wanting to finish the game.

Imagine if game designers designed a lot of the controls in the real world?

Are you sure you want to leave the building ? (at the sliding doors exit before opening) .
Do you really want to go to the 5th floor? (in elevator / lift)

Are you sure you really want to flush the toilet?

Are you sure you really want to exit Windows?

Do you really want to brake the car heavilly?

It does not happen in the real world where our decisions are respected and perhaps more important so why in the gaming world?

To be fair not all games do this :
Some games which do a clean exit are: Sweetest Thing. Fort Defense, Big City Adventure, Build A Lot, Monument Builders, Virtual Villagers.
Games whos designers think you are idiots are:
Youda Survivor, Adelantado series, Aztec Tribe, Farm Frenzy series, Choclatier, Gardens Inc, My Kingdom for the Princess, Royal Envoy, Samantha Swift, Vacation Adventures, Weather Lord series, World Mosaics and many others.

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

Re:Game designers treat players as Idiots - Are you sure you want to quit?

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Feb 23, 16 3:08 PM
Hi unclepaul,

I wanted to stop by to address the quit prompt that you're seeing. I'm sorry to hear that this is an aspect of some games that you haven't been enjoying. Some may prefer to include this prompt in games in order to prevent accidental closing of the game. I'll make sure to pass along your feedback so that the right team can see it.

As you mentioned, we don't have a general section in the forums. In order to keep the forums an accessible and easy to navigate place for players, we request that posts and discussions stay related to specific games. Since this thread isn't specific to Gardens Inc. 4: Blooming Stars Collector's Edition, I'm going to go ahead and lock it. If there are any questions in the future that aren't related to a certain game, please feel free to PM a Moderator. We're always happy to help.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

bfgPanthalassa

Edited on 02/23/2016 at 3:08:30 PM PST

Go to: