bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Jane Angel: Templar Mystery comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 10, 09 1:11 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Jane Angel: Templar Mystery . Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
Jane Angel: Templar Mystery is a Hidden Object game full of mini-games and religious history. Done in the “junkpile” style with which many gamers are familiar, this title offers rooms full of artifacts and clues to fuel your journey. The art is appealing and the scrolling scenes add an extra element to each level, though some items are small or difficult to see, which may be difficult for those hard of seeing. Fortunately, the renewing hint system helps players progress when hunting down well-hidden objects and players can choose to play “untimed” at the beginning if a time crunch adds too much stress. Some of the mini-games are fairly basic but others are not quite so common or put a spin on a classic. For example, many players are familiar with needing to reassemble a torn picture, but Jane Angel adds the extra challenge of needing to then locate objects in those pictures, which overlap each other on the screen. Being able to skip a mini-game at any time is incredibly handy if you’re playing timed, as the chapter will restart if the clock hits zero. Overall, Jane Angel might be a little overwhelming for those looking to item-hunt aimlessly or those not interested in the historical aspect, but it’s an interesting take on the genre.

Game Modes:
Jane Angel has just a story mode, but offers the choice between “timed” and “untimed” at the beginning of the game.

Depth:
Jane Angel offers five scenes per chapter and hours of play time.

Similar to:
Those that enjoyed Great Secrets: Da Vinci may also enjoy Jane Angel.

Difficulty level:
Difficulty depends on whether the player chooses to play timed or untimed, but Jane Angel offers a healthy challenge either way, especially in the mini-games.

Reviewed by E.G.

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Re:Jane Angel: Templar Mystery comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on Dec 10, 09 1:15 AM
Guess I jumped the gun here. Oh well hope some admin can clean it up. :-)

lmf40
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

[Post New]by lmf40 on Dec 10, 09 1:17 AM
Warning - those of you who are annoyed by bad grammar and spelling may want to give this one a miss! The graphics are wonderful and clear and I like the idea of being able to scroll across the screen but they have badly let themselves down with the spelling and grammar - scissorses being one example of the type of misspelling you can expect. Aside from that I think it is a quite enjoyable game and I will probably buy.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Dec 10, 09 1:30 AM
The game is well done except for some of the objects are so tiny I could only play about 40 minutes and had to stop. I have perfect vision and my eyes are strained and watering. Also some of the words...a swab is a mop. A ventilator is a fan. They don't tell in the find the differences game you have to find the object in one scene and move it to where it is in the other scene, but I thought that was a great twist on the game. I'm also enjoying the storyline. It also appears to be a decent length. I took me 40 minutes just to make it to the end of the first chapter. However, I'm going to have to think on this one whether to purchase or not. While I enjoy the scrolling scene as in Clockwork Man a great game. This scrolling screen took up about 1/4 of my screen and then had teeny tiny objects to boot.

Bella43099
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Bella43099 on Dec 10, 09 1:56 AM
In England the the lift is an elevator it depends on if you understand what they are talking about this also happened in some other games where you are looking for one thing then when you use a hint you find out it was something else??? Sometimes things don't look like what they should either??

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 1:59:26 AM PST

irishlou
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by irishlou on Dec 10, 09 1:59 AM
Not sure about this one, have played 40 mins of demo and can usually tell if I like a game after about 15 mins of playing. I liked the twist on the spot the difference game, also the way some objects on the list fade from dark to light grey, graphics are good, story is interesting, and you really have to look hard for some items.
I dislke the fact that I can't get full screen, have been into options and it tells me I have the game in full screen mode but it only covers the middle of my screen, also the fact that some objects are named incorrectly, eg, I was looking for 2 swabs, used a hint and found out they meant mops. Another clue just said halloween, realised that was a pumpkin. I may buy this one depending on the length of the game, after 40 mins am coming to the end of chapter one. Does anyone know how many chapters are in it?

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 2:01:07 AM PST

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Dec 10, 09 2:33 AM
I am having trouble with the graphics breaking up, although the system requirements are okay with my computer. I have download Luxor adventures and played it with no problems, why this one is causing problems I do not know. I am on XP sometimes I think these games are meant for Vista anyone else had problems, other games I have had the same problem too, I have to delete them and wait till another compatible one comes out.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Dec 10, 09 3:47 AM
Due to the comments, I'll pass on this one. My eyesight is not so good and if somebody with good eyesight has problems, then I would be in trouble...

Plus I cannot abide bad spelling everywhere today. Nobody seems to proofread anything anymore. You find it on TV every day, on the news, in the paper and books, and on professional sites. It's a sad commentary for all the graduates of high school that still can't spell. Just look at the way some kids and adults "talk" and it's no wonder games are reflecting that.

Sorry to be so negative this morning, but I'm trying to find a new game to play and it's not easy. Thanks to BFG for offering up so many games and a daily game to pick from. I can always go back and play ones I've purchased in the past.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 4:20 AM
Hi, I'm Eugene one of JA's developers (actually one of two ).
Thanks to everybody for attention. I'd like to answer some common questions I saw.
1) Tiny objects - we made our best to evade tiny objects problem. Even in case the object is small, there is safe area around - you shouldn't be a sniper, just click close to this object.
2) Bad spelling - I apologize if there is screaming mistakes! We aren't native speakers (Although all textes were under native speaker correction). So you should excuse us when we use one of possible word's translation (I'm talking about swabs and mobs). Hope it will not be a cause to miss interesting story and gameplay we made
3) About hardware problems - this game was tested a lot, so I'm sure (especailly if you meet similar problems with other game) you should ask for technical help for your PC.

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 4:22:35 AM PST

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 4:21 AM
BTW. After you'll finish storyline you'd be able to get a bonus mode - free-play, where all locations are available for time trials! With records and medals

twin_mom
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by twin_mom on Dec 10, 09 4:29 AM
Pretty standard HOG. Like the minigame where you have to place the items in the same location as the picture on the right. Graphics are good. Horizontal scrolling a bit strange when going from scene to scene. Love the vertical scrolling to get in more of the picture. No hints required as you simply scroll such that the item in question starts to go grey and you know it is now on the edge. Storyline moves slowly so haven't really had a chance to get into it with 26 minutes left. Although the subject matter interests me, the game itself is nothing special - too many other games out there that hold my interest more. Perhaps will get when I'm looking for a very easy HOG to pass the time.

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Dec 10, 09 4:40 AM
The absolutey worst game since Route 66. I like the idea of scrolling screens but to have items in the word list hilited when they are on screen and vice versa is an insult to my intelligence. All you need to do then is scroll really slow until you see a word hilited and presto there is the object. The spelling is abysmal. Find 4 scissores. The directions for some mini games are ill written. The Russian games have some good ideas as does this one, yet the Russian game makers often forget that the marketing for their games is largely outside of Eastern Europe. These games need serious proofreading before they reach the intended markets.

Pass on this game. No perestroika here!!

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 10, 09 4:59 AM
What no rubber ducky ? thats what its missing ? I have to agree w/ poppa it is ONE of the worst ....maybe not the worst but Its close .I didn't like the scrolling screen or the junk piles....spelling...its a pass for me as well...really been a bad week for games..At this rate I'll never rank as a lobster....I keep saying well maybe tomorrow...thats getting really old...Till we meet again..... give us something to talk about

[Post New]by EcclesCakes on Dec 10, 09 5:21 AM
Well, I'm apparently in a minority here....quite on the positive side for this game thus far. The lack of full screen doesn't concern me. The graphics are clear and interesting. Lack of precise grammar, spelling, item identification is only a minor concern. The story is very interesting - always love those Knight Templar stories - the locations are varied, and the mini-games are fun and not too challenging. The hint system is very generous and clear, as are tutorials. Given this is apparently a two man development effort, I think we should be more encouraging than discouraging. Not every game can live up to Princess Isabella (my current favorite). I'm about a half-hour into the demo, will at least complete the hour and will check an upcoming walkthrough to appraise length (don't like 2 hour games, no matter how good), before making a "buy" decision.

Hey, folks, at least give it a full one hour chance!

Eccles Cakes

[Post New]by ILoveLucyRicardo on Dec 10, 09 6:13 AM
I think I also fall into the minority here. I thought this game has serious possibilities. The mini games were fun. I not only liked the one where you had to put the items back where they go, but I also liked the one where you had to connect the colored dots. I didn't think the spelling was so much of an issue...guess it is not one of my pet peeves. I know that a lot of the words used were spelled using the old English version of the word...but I didn't get the impression (from what I've played so far) that the usage was so far out there that I couldn't figure it out. The graphics were very bright and clear for me...I hate it when they are too dark and this one was not...at least the hour I played did not produce any. I run Vista and did not have any trouble with the game. It did play in full screen on my computer. Overall, I think this is a nice game that has a unique touch.

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 6:15:43 AM PST

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Dec 10, 09 6:28 AM
Hi Eugene_Duranin,

I thought I would let you know I appreciate it that you read these forums. I downloaded the game this morning and so far no problems. I like it and will probably purchase it. As for the mispelled words or wrong name of objects. it is understandable. There are many American developers who do make these mistakes also. My opinion only.

bbelle

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 10, 09 6:37 AM
I liked it, quirky little game. The only thing that really drove me nuts was the use of the opening and closing camera lens as you move from scene to scene, with yet another stop on the promo/title screen.

Yea, some of the wording is quirky, not only spelling but also use of words that are different in English--and various kinds of English. For example: biscuit, which means biscuit in America, cookie or sometimes a "digestive biscuit" (a type of cracker) in Brit English, but in the game was applied to--ta da! A dessert that was either pie or cake, wasn't quite sure. So I've decided to view the linguistics as part of the charm.

I liked the "find the difference, then put it back" game. Didn't enjoy the color-linking marble game, but they gave me the option to skip.

It's a good storyline, not too much dialogue, and has good, interesting, historical facts. So I bought it.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 10, 09 6:41 AM
P.S. I also liked the scrolling screen, after I got used to it. That way, there's entire lists of different objects in various sections of the screen. And sometimes--they aren't all that easy to find, even though the words may gray out and fade, or brighten up. I also didn't find all that many tiny things; then again, I liked Romance in Rome tremendously.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 6:43 AM
bbelle wrote:Hi Eugene_Duranin,

I thought I would let you know I appreciate it that you read these forums. I downloaded the game this morning and so far no problems. I like it and will probably purchase it. As for the mispelled words or wrong name of objects. it is understandable. There are many American developers who do make these mistakes also. My opinion only.

bbelle

Thank you, bbelle.
We really tried to make game for players

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 10, 09 6:44 AM
I really like this game!

Pros:
- Very good graphic
- No tiny items (I have glasses and I can easily see every clue)!
- Nice idea with the moveable screen
- All Items are good to see

Contra:
- Nothing

I have bought it this afternoon!

Well done, ! /

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 2:26:06 PM PST

Go to: