Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mysteries of the Past: Shadow of the Daemon here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 17, 16 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/17/2016 at 5:04:47 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mysteries of the Past: Shadow of the Daemon here.

[Post New]by 9otters on Feb 17, 16 2:13 AM
A big THANK YOU, BFG, for the members sale!

Nothing new with the story. Nothing new with the gameplay...quite a few handles and keys to find in the beginning. BUT...if you're a HOP fan, you will find plenty of them here. Don't know if expert players will find any challenge...but to each his own.

Most of them, in the demo, had several "layers"....find items, with some interaction, then put items back into place. Find fragmented items and put them into place, find keys to open locks, then find listed items, etc. Many items were NOT obvious, so a bit of challenge there.

Three levels of difficulty...no custom level. Tried the demo on "casual" and the hint filled almost immediately. Was going to try the other levels with the extra time that is inevitably left over...but there was NONE. Apparently, this game has a ONE HOUR TRIAL. Not the same as a one hour demo. With a trial, you get to play for an entire hour...not just until the demo ends.

Transporting hint and jump map. The exclamation points that showed active areas were pretty tiny, so you may have to study it to see them.

Mini-games were simple, but again, if you are a HO lover, you'll probably enjoy that there are MANY more of them than there are minis.

There is a journal/diary that is not essential. A camera too...but it takes pictures automatically that show up in the journal.

Ok graphics, voice-overs (no coordinated lip movement)...really liked the mood music.

If you can overlook the lack of an original story, and the "bells and whistles", I'd say it is worth the $3.49 that you will pay with the Game Club members sale...or a coupon, IMO.

Hope you find some fun today. Happy gaming.

OH...have to add...the critter animation is not this dev's best show. But, had to laugh at the egg-shaped crow and the wolf "in pieces". Lol funny.

Edited on 02/17/2016 at 9:12:16 AM PST

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mysteries of the Past: Shadow of the Daemon here.

[Post New]by pjplanner on Feb 17, 16 2:39 AM
I am so torn as to whether to buy or not. The HOS are different as you have to do many things to get to the end. But what I HATE is that you can't get away from the sparkles. On expert mode you are meant to get no sparkles but you do but you don't get hints or skips. Haven't devs realised yet that the best mode is Custom so you can taylor the game to your own expectations. The sparkles may prevent me from buying which is a shame because I think it may be quite a good game otherwise.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Feb 17, 16 2:58 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the demo, and plan to buy the game very shortly.

I don't mind that the story is not really new (how many are these days?), and I certainly don't mind that it is not a really really creepy game (like the ones always set in filthy old hospitals / asylums - I won't play those anymore).

As for playing mode, when I can't have Custom, I always go for Casual. The sparkles in this one aren't so bright they hurt my eyes - definitely a bonus, lol. And the Hint system loads quickly too

As always, try it for yourself - you just may like it

Jen

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Feb 17, 16 5:05 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mysteries of the Past: Shadow of the Daemon here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mysteries of the Past: Shadow of the Daemon.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Feb 17, 16 8:00 AM
If you want a game that doesn't sparkle, you have to play with no hint/no skip, making this game a no buy for me.

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Feb 17, 16 9:47 AM
If this game came out in '08, I would've bought it immediately. But it's 2015 and so much of it seemed so dated, that I had no motivation to keep going after 8 minutes. If it goes on sale as a DotD/W AND I'm bored, I may get it.

The story is a missing person story. I could ignore the fact there's no custom mode and that if I wanted skips, I was forced to have sparkles. But the sparkles are so big and distracting that it killed the game. I want to figure out stuff myself. The one HO scene I played was just annoying. First it was a FROG, then switched to an HOG. I wouldn't have minded if I had to go back to the scene, but staying in-scene was where I lost any motivation to keep playing.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 17, 16 1:03 PM

Don't Tase Me, Bro!

As a Paranormal Activity Detective, you receive an impassioned letter from Mr. Clarkson, the owner and operator of the Big Pine Lodge in the mountains. He wants you to investigate the disappearance of Mr. Miller and his son who were guests at the lodge. He also reports seeing a mysterious shadowy presence in the lodge that has literally frightened him out.

The artwork is hand drawn, beautiful and very colorful. The season is fall, and the color palette dovetails with that. The opening cut scene is visually captivating, but it is marred somewhat by a muddled voice over. Fortunately once the actual game play begins, the cut scenes, voices and sounds are quite good.

The first item you'll find is a taser, the use of which is unusual to say the least. There is a fair amount of unlocking doors, drawers, etc. in the beginning and some of the play is strange. In one case, you can clearly see an item inside a vase, but its not clear why you cannot simply reach inside to get it. I also noted one mislabeled item in a HOs (a pawn), but did not see any obvious misspellings or errors in grammar.

There are more hidden object scenes than mini-games during the trial. They generally have more than one stage to them, i.e., first you find several objects or fragments, and then you place them. Difficulty was moderate, one or two objects were well hidden with the others fairly easy to find. The two mini games I recall were a rotating three ring puzzle to arrange tokens, and a puzzle with four concentric rotating rings to complete a design.

There is a transportable map, journal (notes) and Objectives. Oddly, the map, journal and objectives can all be accessed from the map icon on the right, while the journal and objectives can also be accessed from the icon on the left.

There are three modes of play. I chose the Expert (hardest) mode which stated there are no sparkles or hints. However, that was not the case. I did see sparkles indicating areas of interest and hidden object scenes, so - note to developer - this is an area that needs work.

As you might expect, the story has a element of creepiness to it. It does progress as you learn more about the missing guests and the lodge. There is no forced end to the trial other than the sixty minute limit so how far you get may vary. I found the demo enjoyable and fun. If the sparkles are not a deal-breaker for you, this is a shadow that seems worth tasing after.

pinkwitch12
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by pinkwitch12 on Feb 17, 16 4:46 PM
I really liked this game, and I have been playing for about 2 years now. I found it quite helpful to have sparkles and some hand holding for those odd moments when you can't quite grasp the mind behind the wheel (creator of game). I played on relaxed and I think it was about 3 hours well spent. I even stopped multi-tasking to concentrate fully on it. Believe me that says something for it. I hope these developers will come out with some other new stuff.....I did not find it dated, actually refreshing to let go of the glitz on some of these newer ones.

Hope that helps someone buy in, it was worth it.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Feb 17, 16 8:22 PM
I am on the fence with this game but I can't put my finger on why. It was nice to be able to get as far as we can during the hour demo instead of being cut off at a point the devs decide. I like that the game is heavy on hidden object scenes and light on puzzles.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Feb 18, 16 5:57 AM
Sparkles or no sparkles that is the question.

For me anyway. Everyone has their line in the sand. This one's mine. Conflicting posts caused me to download the demo to get into some rooms and see what's what.

On expert mode, there are no hints, no skips and a rapid click frenzy penalty. I did not see any sparkles, except for the hidden object scenes.

For me, I can handle the sparkles on the HOPs, since they really are like a break in the story portion of the game, so I am good. I just wanted to post on this since there is (to me at least) a difference between sparkles covering the screen screaming "Click me!" and "No, wait, click me!" and sparkles for a HOP scene every now and again.

This is an indie developer so with the knowledge that I can play without grinding my teeth into nubs, I will happily partake of this adventure and support another player on the field. If that means I game without a safety net, then so be it.

Happy gaming all!

Zhenya722
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

Too bad it doesn't work

[Post New]by Zhenya722 on Feb 18, 16 12:58 PM
This was a good game until it quit working. If it had not been a free game I would be more annoyed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, changed profile names, and it is still stuck at the point at which I purchased it; the "map".

I can't retrieve this one piece in order to continue the game, so beware if you purchase that it may not let you go beyond the point at which you have stopped.

gertie23
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by gertie23 on Feb 18, 16 11:34 PM
Another horrible game! Holy cow Big Fish, please get some decent games.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

Am I crazy!!

[Post New]by bratzgram on Feb 19, 16 1:40 PM
This is the second time this week that I have played a trial for a game I have already played! HOW if it's a NEW release is this happening? I always thought that BF was first to get everything I'm not saying this isn't a good game but I already own it.
The first trial I played I thought it was my mistake in thinking it was not new but....??

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Feb 19, 16 7:14 PM
ANOTHER rehashed storyline about spirits kidnapping people. Excuse me while I yawn & try not to doze off!

Colors were brighter while the graphics still need a lot of fine tuning. Same wooden characters without realism or lip movement.

HOPA were fun/interactive BUT the hint button was a disaster. I had to go into the "forum" to see how others solved the ladder quandary. Puzzles were simple enough.

Didn't try the map as the hint button did transport you to the next location.

Just not a fun or entertaining game. Try the demo before you go all the way into this shadow.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Feb 21, 16 10:31 AM
Hi fishes,
thought I'd just stick me twopenneth worth in as I finished the game (no glitches) and just wanted to say how much I enjoyed myself!
The scenery was lovely, the HOG's were a bit "off" (I was looking for a CHAIN and randomly clicked on a CHAIR and it disappeared!), as was the dialogue but in all I had a jolly good time!
9otters was right about the "critters", but somehow it was part of the fun!
I shall look out for these devs again, and I hope they don't get swallowed by the ever circling sharks that haunt these waters, eh gang?

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Mar 2, 16 1:45 PM
This may have been an interesting game, but I lasted 10 minutes because I couldn't stand the sparkles on everything. Do I really need sparkles when I've already clicked on something and discovered what I need to do?

[Post New]by lindga on Mar 3, 16 10:40 AM
Got ladder up and the box on wall and that is it. hint takes me to gap under door big enough for key. Can't find a key, handle or anything to go one with the game. only got 20 mins on trial. thought about buying but not now.

Sportspaz1449
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

[Post New]by Sportspaz1449 on Mar 12, 16 5:08 PM
pjplanner wrote:I am so torn as to whether to buy or not. The HOS are different as you have to do many things to get to the end. But what I HATE is that you can't get away from the sparkles. On expert mode you are meant to get no sparkles but you do but you don't get hints or skips. Haven't devs realised yet that the best mode is Custom so you can taylor the game to your own expectations. The sparkles may prevent me from buying which is a shame because I think it may be quite a good game otherwise.

Hi piplanner!
I COULDN'T agree more with you! The sparkles drove me nuts (a short drive!,) on what otherwise was a pretty good game. However, with ALL of those sparkles, (even when you were at that area,they continued!) were just way too much hand holding! It was very distracting to myself, as many of y'all as well,I am sure. IF we had the option to change the difficulty during the game, I would have played in the expert mode. However, as it wasn't available, I chickened out! LOL... Which I normally don't do.
I enjoyed the story line, and game itself, and as it was more of an "adventure" game, there wasn't much of an "adventure" with all of the hand holding going on.
I did find and create a post for a walkthrough, and did need it a time or two! All in all tho, I did enjoy the game and story line, not too many HOPS, just the right amount for me personally, and the puzzles were a bit different also.
No offense to the devs. but PLEASE, either give us the options to create the custom, or "no sparkles at all!"
Some may not be bothered by them, and I did after a short time almost want the game to end due to them, however, I did complete it,was glad I did as the ending was fulfilling, didn't leave us hanging. But, as per the norm, do check it out for yourselves fishies, and it may be to your liking...
Happy Gaming! And remember, if you need the walkthrough, gimme a holler!
*Edited for a misspelling!*

Edited on 03/12/2016 at 5:10:20 PM PST

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Mar 25, 16 2:09 PM
Bartsister wrote:Sparkles or no sparkles that is the question.

For me anyway. Everyone has their line in the sand. This one's mine. Conflicting posts caused me to download the demo to get into some rooms and see what's what.

On expert mode, there are no hints, no skips and a rapid click frenzy penalty. I did not see any sparkles, except for the hidden object scenes.

For me, I can handle the sparkles on the HOPs, since they really are like a break in the story portion of the game, so I am good. I just wanted to post on this since there is (to me at least) a difference between sparkles covering the screen screaming "Click me!" and "No, wait, click me!" and sparkles for a HOP scene every now and again.

This is an indie developer so with the knowledge that I can play without grinding my teeth into nubs, I will happily partake of this adventure and support another player on the field. If that means I game without a safety net, then so be it.

Happy gaming all!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Bartsister for for your review especially for reminding us this is an 'indie developer' and hopefully their best is yet to come
Just a heads-up, there is no 'bonus game' at the end as per the 'off-site walk-through.
I played this through on a new desktop PC running factory installed Windows 10 with little if no problem...
Because this is an 'indie' I am going to give it out of 5 for making this game interesting and using such varied objects and the mini-games were not too bad (I did use the skipper button) a few times I am glad I had the opportunity to give a newbie developer a try

Edited on 03/25/2016 at 2:17:10 PM PST

Go to: