sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 10, 09 9:57 AM
Eugene_Duranin wrote:As developer, I'd like to say thank you for interest you have.
Despite all critisism (sometimes I completely agree with), I'm sure that this game is able to bring some fun hours (how much? depends on player's experience) to you (who will download it and play it).

Talking about dialog between customer and developer, I must say that, personally, I'd like to gather lot of opinions. Some changes could be inserted into this game (we'll sure update it today with some fixes), some - I'll bring with me to my next games Thank you, again!


Well I love this HOG. I loved the way you scroll the screen and how it's black, gray, and light gray for the word list so you aren't looking in the wrong place. The mini games are totally original. These are fun. To me I didn't see the bad grammar when they are talking to each other on the phone. Geez people, we are Americans and what about our American slang? You think our American slang is proper English? Example: I hear people say "thang" instead of the word "thing". What's a thang? Phrase "jump street", do you actually see a street jumping? Do any of you listen to Rap music? What in the world they are saying in that is beyond me. I was in a English class which was a requirement for the job I was going for and there was 5 foreigners in the class who were straight from their country just about and they were struggling with the language. English is the hardest language to learn. For example, the words, "there", "their", and "they're" or "to", "two" and "too", they have to decipher on how to use it correctly. We have so many words that sound alike and have different meanings. I thought Eugene Duranin did very well in this game. It amazes me how these foreigners speak English in their native country when they don't even have to. I lived in Fort Worth, TX and the Mexicans expected the Americans to speak their language because they didn't want to learn English. So I don't think nothing about the grammar in these games because I understand them. So please if your going to talk about their grammar and English, learn their language and see how well you do with theirs.

Sassy

 
stone07
Koi
Koi
68,662 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by stone07 on Dec 10, 09 10:31 AM
I agree with everything above - and I will certainly buy the game. I know I have difficulty with the English language myself - and I am a native. Plus the fact, the misspellings really didn't stand out - I just chuckled when I discovered one.

There were some words I had never seen before - like the piece of cake was referred to as a biscuit - - a term I had never seen before appeared to be some type of heavy clipper. I just left those for the last objects and used a hint. Thankfully the hints were not limited.

I am not an HOG fan - but this was on the top of my list. The subject matter is of great interest to me.............

Eugene[u] - I love that you show enough interest to be here with us. Thanks so much for joining the forum.!! I love it!

Hurry back with your next game!


 

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 10:38 AM
stone07 wrote:I agree with everything above - and I will certainly buy the game. I know I have difficulty with the English language myself - and I am a native. Plus the fact, the misspellings really didn't stand out - I just chuckled when I discovered one.

There were some words I had never seen before - like the piece of cake was referred to as a biscuit - - a term I had never seen before appeared to be some type of heavy clipper. I just left those for the last objects and used a hint. Thankfully the hints were not limited.

I am not an HOG fan - but this was on the top of my list. The subject matter is of great interest to me.............

Eugene[u] - I love that you show enough interest to be here with us. Thanks so much for joining the forum.!! I love it!

Hurry back with your next game!



Thanks a lot for your warm words! It is really important to know that your work will be appreciated by players

Your kind words are fuel for production engines of developers !

Have a Happy Holidays!

 

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by erieskimmer on Dec 10, 09 12:48 PM
I haven't yet downloaded the game, so can only go by what I've been reading in the forums. However, since I am an English prof. I am prone to cringe whenever I see games that have misspellings, bad grammar, etc. especially if the game was made by people for whom English is their native language. If the developers don't feel confident about their language skills, they could easily ask someone to proof read everything before releasing the game. In this case, the game was designed by people who do not have English as their first language, so Eugene, I'd be glad to edit your next game for spelling and grammar before you release it.

 

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 12:53 PM
erieskimmer wrote:I haven't yet downloaded the game, so can only go by what I've been reading in the forums. However, since I am an English prof. I am prone to cringe whenever I see games that have misspellings, bad grammar, etc. especially if the game was made by people for whom English is their native language. If the developers don't feel confident about their language skills, they could easily ask someone to proof read everything before releasing the game. In this case, the game was designed by people who do not have English as their first language, so Eugene, I'd be glad to edit your next game for spelling and grammar before you release it.


Hi, erieskimmer.
Thank you for your interest!
I'm sure you are right talking about good correction! We probably missed with corrector who helped us with this one.
I'd get back to your proposition as soon as release mess will get down.

Best regards, Eugene.

 
gringojoy
Catfish
Catfish
1,739 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by gringojoy on Dec 10, 09 1:02 PM
Eugene? A very fun & wonderful game.
I agree with sassy 100%! I didn't see all the mistakes everyone is talking about.
My time ran out in a flash it seems.
I'll be getting this game and so will my daughter.
Thank you Eugene & Team for a very fun and educational game!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you.

 

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 1:06 PM
gringojoy wrote:Eugene? A very fun & wonderful game.
I agree with sassy 100%! I didn't see all the mistakes everyone is talking about.
My time ran out in a flash it seems.
I'll be getting this game and so will my daughter.
Thank you Eugene & Team for a very fun and educational game!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you.


Thank you, gringojoy!
I also wish Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and your family.
It is pleasure for me to hear that Jane Angel is educational (being a game)! I have daughter six years old. so I really tried to bring some historical background into the game!

Eugene.

 
Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Howatch on Dec 10, 09 1:07 PM
Eugene, I think your game is very nicely done. I used to be a proofreader for English and medical terminology and I too would be glad to lend my assistance if you should ever require it. I want you to know that I studied Russian for a time, which would be a very difficult language for most English-speaking persons to learn to use correctly, and I think that overall you did a good job; it just needs a little polishing and tidying up. I commend you for your efforts.

 

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 1:11 PM
Howatch wrote:Eugene, I think your game is very nicely done. I used to be a proofreader for English and medical terminology and I too would be glad to lend my assistance if you should ever require it. I want you to know that I studied Russian for a time, which would be a very difficult language for most English-speaking persons to learn to use correctly, and I think that overall you did a good job; it just needs a little polishing and tidying up. I commend you for your efforts.

Thank you, Howatch!
That was a useful lesson (about polishing) I had. And thank you for your proposition, I surely will think about after this release rush will end up!

Eugene.

 
ahsten75
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by ahsten75 on Dec 10, 09 1:28 PM
As an ESL teacher and proofreader in Mexico, I know it is hard to learn another language and on top of that, there are varieties within a language (British English, American English, Indian English and Australian English, to give a few examples).

Eugene Duranin, as erieskimmer said, a good native proofreader/copy editor is very important. Just because a person lived in the country or apparently "speaks" the language well doesn't mean he or she is qualified to edit. (My father lived in Spanish-speaking countries for over 50 years and was never able to master the language. I've lived and worked here for over 20 years and still don't feel confident enough to proofread or translate something into Spanish even though I can pretty much pass as a native speaker.)

One recommendation: A good monolingual (English-English) picture or visual dictionary can be very useful in getting the names of things right. Macmillan, Oxford, Longman and Collins have some very good ones. I learn from them because some of them are very detailed.


Language problems aside, it was an enjoyable game. Unlike some, I didn't have any technical problems. I really liked the fact that you could scroll a bit and the objects on the list would lighten or darken depending on where you are on the screen.


 
kalalika
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
465 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by kalalika on Dec 10, 09 1:28 PM
I also would like to be able to proofread games for developers before release. At every large company that I have worked for, memos and other releases from top executives would come out with the most outlandish errors and would just make me cringe and sometimes even speak out, which probably didn't go over too well with my supervisors. These were all people born and raised here, plus it still happened after such utilities as spell check had been around for a long time.

I again say KUDOS TO YOU EUGENE for listening to all of us and responding!

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 1:34:49 PM PST


 
sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 10, 09 1:39 PM
Hi again Eugene

I would also help with English cause I was a proofreader as well. You have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and your game does rock. I am most definitely glad I bought it.

Sassy

 
Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Dec 10, 09 1:49 PM
I agree - Eugene, you done good

After all, who really cares about a few grammatical or spelling mistakes in what is a great game?!

I tutor adults in basic English literacy skills, most of whom are not native English speakers. Their knowledge and understanding of spoken English, and their own speaking of it, is generally very good and fluent. However, their grasp of written English, with all its irregularities and little foibles, is a different matter. Having said that, it is certainly still good enough to understand, as is the language in this game. I think that to produce a HOG with all the various item names and speech sections, in what is to you a second/ foreign language, is an impressive feat. In England we are no longer taught proper grammar at school, hence we have a large number of native English speakers people graduating from university who are unable to write in a cohesive, grammatically correct way. But there's state education for you.

Yeah, okay, in "real" life spelling mistakes and poor grammar do rub me up the wrong way, especially in a corporate environment (my major bugbear of the hour is the incorrect use of apostrophes <shudder> ), but there are so many other things to concern myself with when playing a game. If the graphics are good, and the puzzles are fun, then I can certainly forgive a few little language errors, especially as they have no impact whatsoever on the gameplay.

It WOULD be pretty cool to proofread for games though...

 

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 1:50 PM
Thanks to all, who put comments and recommendations (as well as propositions)!
I'll get back to propositions after some time - you should excuse me for this delay cause I'm now in "release fever". We are two-person developement team (who made Jane Angel), so I have to solve thousands of problems right now

Best regards, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Eugene.

 
sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 10, 09 1:57 PM
Dang good work for only a 2 man team. You rock!!

 
kalalika
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
465 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by kalalika on Dec 10, 09 2:03 PM
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you also!!! I can't believe how many hours you have spent reading our comments and responding to them. It doesn't sound like you and your co-developer will be getting much rest with all this "release fever". Will be looking forward to future games from you!!!

 

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 2:09 PM
kalalika wrote:HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you also!!! I can't believe how many hours you have spent reading our comments and responding to them. It doesn't sound like you and your co-developer will be getting much rest with all this "release fever". Will be looking forward to future games from you!!!


We'll rest later and it wasn't hard (to read your comments) cause warm words y'all wrote just gave me strength

Eugene.

 
Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Misty40 on Dec 10, 09 2:15 PM
I'm going to download the game and give it a try. Someone said the mini-games are original and the storyline was interesting. That's all I needed to know to capture my interest...LOL.





I'm as curious as a cat!

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 2:16:50 PM PST


 
Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 10, 09 3:11 PM
Hi Sassylassie,

I couldn't have said it better. I agree with everything you wrote. And hats off to Eugene! He did a fantastic job with our language-better than a lot of Americans do!

 
lmf40
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by lmf40 on Dec 10, 09 5:22 PM
English is a hard language and Eugene Duranin may have done great but whoever was supposed to proofread the game and provide corrections did not.

For me the issue is that the developers had someone else proofreading and making corrections for them - maybe incorrectly I am assuming that they paid this person to do it for them. If they did pay this person then they got ripped off and they should be asking for their money back.

Bad spelling and grammar do annoy me but not enough to stop me from buying the game but it is making me skip the storyline because some of the dialogue just doesn't make any sense.

 
 
 
 
Go to: