bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 11, 09 1:10 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove is much more than your typical Hidden Object game. Packed full of puzzles and sleuthing, its dark storyline and live action sequences make you feel as though you’re part of an interactive supernatural thriller film as you follow the story of the students leading to their disappearance. This game doesn’t skimp on the details and it’s one you’ll want to play with the sound on – snow swirls and changes direction as the wind wails through the trees and every building you enter sounds as if it’s ready to fall apart around you. Snow crunches underfoot as you walk, water drips and ghosts whisper at your every move, creating a genuine feel of cold desolation. You can almost feel the chill coming off of your monitor! This game is overall very engaging and offers a healthy challenge, yet is untimed and puzzles can all be skipped, which keep this game from being too difficult. Despite the dark storyline and occasional “Blair Witch” feel, this game manages to not be violent or gory, so this game is appropriate for spook-chasers of all ages.

Game Modes:
Dire Grove has just an adventure mode with Hidden Object scenes and mini-game puzzles integrated into the storyline.

Depth:
Dire Grove has a total of seven chapters and a very experienced Hidden Object gamer might complete it in about five hours, though this game will most likely last much longer for most players.

Similar to:
Players that enjoyed Ravenhearst and Return to Ravenhearst will also enjoy Dire Grove .

Difficulty level:
Dire Grove can be a bit difficult at times, but the lack of a timer paired with the renewing hint system and case file journal keep this game entertainingly challenging.

Reviewed by E.G.

To read what other players thought after playing the Collector’s Edition of Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, click here

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 1:16:14 AM PST

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on Dec 11, 09 1:42 AM
I have played it for about half an hour. Excellent design, however I really do not enjoy being startled and listening to screeching terror. Have bought it despite this, but I surely hope that the next MCF will take us in a calmer direction. I don't play these games to get stressed out.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Dec 11, 09 1:43 AM
Only played fifteen minutes of the demo so my comments will be short. Crisp, beautiful graphics and even in that short time the story line was so interesting that I know it's a keeper.

Well done BFG!

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Dec 11, 09 3:27 AM
All I can say:

Thanks , there goes my weekend!

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Dec 11, 09 4:22 AM
Just finished the demo and of course it is a buy. Abstained from skips so I have work to do. Opening the abandoned auto glove box is easy but have yet to properly align the hands of the thing that looks like a clock. I marvel at the imagination of the team that put this game together even after an hour. At this rate, DG might supplant RTR as the best ever. If you read this and have yet to purchase, what are you waiting for??

[Post New]by jperleevt on Dec 11, 09 4:42 AM
I'm so happy!!!! Perfect timing for an enjoyable "Dire" weekend. :-)

MissB59
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by MissB59 on Dec 11, 09 4:55 AM
I know what I am doing with my last vacation day of the year .. playing DG .. LOL .. played the sample thru .. used a couple hints but no help from walkthrough .. did miss some parts tho .. graphics are awesome ... I am so happy that I saved a credit for this ..

jgracinfan
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by jgracinfan on Dec 11, 09 4:59 AM
Just tried this version to see the difference in the $19.95 version. No morphs in this
one. I feel it was worth the extra money to have that other challange.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 5:04 AM
So this version doesn't have the morphing objects? I really like that part.

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Dec 11, 09 5:21 AM
OMG! It's finally here! I will be buying this right away!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 11, 09 7:34 AM
I have waited for this game and have bought it immediately (I have only checked, if the game makes no problems at my system)! Well done, !

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Dec 11, 09 8:22 AM
Guess I missed the post about the morphing (considering how many posts there were to wade thru), but I was disappointed in not find them in the el cheapo version.

I do like the fact that they offered the closed captioning for the use of the video. I'm partially deaf and never would have been able to understand it without the CC.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 9:19 AM
That post about the differences was only put up AFTER the CE was released and everyone had jumped on it. It was never mentioned in the official BF blog about the game back in November.

I personally consider it shady to remove an element like this from a game and water it down for those who will not or cannot pay the extra money; I consider the morphing objects an integral part of the gameplay and suffice it to say I'm pretty angry they removed them from the "el cheapo" version and then tried to play it off like we're all getting the same game when clearly we're not!

chick52
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by chick52 on Dec 11, 09 9:33 AM
I have to agree with you sillyfeet. It doesn't seem fair.
But oh well, at least at long last we get to play it.

akaratcat
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by akaratcat on Dec 11, 09 9:34 AM
This is an wonderful game,,,,,,,,it is not as good a RTR, but as close as any game can get........loved every minute of it ,,,,,,I bought the collectors edition and never one regret.......just don't like not getting a game for today preview.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Dec 11, 09 10:55 AM
I finally got started at 4.00ish this afternoon.
And I heard the familiar clicking of the typewriter keys on the 'computer' .. and it was like coming home .. Sigh.

Great great game. (Can't for the life of me figure out that pointy clock thingy though).
Jo

Terri218
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by Terri218 on Dec 11, 09 10:56 AM
OK I bought it even though the demo ran a little slowly. I'm praying the full game plays OK on my computer since it's so large.

graciethecat
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by graciethecat on Dec 11, 09 11:02 AM
Hey what is the morph thing you all are talking about? I havent bought either game yet but if you think the 19.95 is the better one, Id rather spend the extra. I have played the demo (el cheapo) and LOVE it.

BransonBel
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by BransonBel on Dec 11, 09 11:18 AM
Well these first posts answered an important question! I am really disappointed as well to read that the morphing objects aren't included in the regular version. But even more so I think that if we are to pay the extra money for the CE, the disk should be included. Beating a dead horse, I know. If the wallpapers and readily available walkthrough were the only differences it wouldn't matter. But I would think the morphing things would be an important part of the game and to leave them out isn't fair. I will look forward to more reviews from people who have played both versions because I am still on the fence about this one!

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on Dec 11, 09 12:49 PM
I am not liking it that much I am at the clock puzzle and of course I cannot skip it

Go to: