New Laptop!

[Post New]by HorseDancer1 on Feb 20, 16 6:57 AM
I have been pondering a new laptop for months. My games are so slow especially on line games. Part of that is wi-fi connection and I am out where the fastest speed I can get on the HS access is 7 MBS, but I think a new computer will really make a big difference.

After input from @erika & tons of research by both myself and my daughter I decided on this one.

HP ProBook 470 G3 - 17.3" - Core i7 6500U. It comes with Win 7 installed with a free option for Win 10. I will stick to Win 7 for as long as I can as I have heard too many negative things about Win 10. I was worried about changing files, etc. to the new computer and my daughter recommended Clickfree C6 Automatic Backup 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Compatible with Windows AND it even backs up your programs, so it should take all the hassle out of making a change. Then you can set it to automatically back up your files so you don't ever loose everything.

The new computer should arrive next week.

Flybaby
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

Re:New Laptop!

[Post New]by Flybaby on Feb 20, 16 4:45 PM
Good luck with your new PC. You were lucky to be able to find Windows 7. I like that version much better than 8, which I'm currently using. I won't upgrade to Windows 10 until I hear more positive reviews about it. The automatic Backup sounds awesome, because it takes the hassle out of having to do it manually. Have fun with it, and Happy Whacking!

[Post New]by HorseDancer1 on Feb 20, 16 8:02 PM
Thanks so much! Win 7 was one of my strong preferences. I have heard really bad things about Win 8, in fact even Boeings is staying with Win 7 and they usually upgrade right away. As you said, Win 10 is supposed to be slightly better than 8, but I don't want to be one of their beta testers! They put out OS and then keep tweaking as all the problems come in.

This CPU is i7 and 2.5 up to 3.1 if the software supports that speed. Zoom! Graphics are very good on this one, too.

Changing computers has always been such a big hassle even though I do have an external HD. It is OLD and you had to mark each folder, so I am really looking forward to this new one. I did not even know there was a device that would backup and install programs, too.

My daughter works for a company that sells computer systems to big companies, and their tech recommended the Clickfree C6 and has been using it for quite awhile. She even found one on sale for me! She is getting both items for herself, too.

Edited on 02/20/2016 at 8:02:49 PM PST

[Post New]by HorseDancer1 on Feb 24, 16 7:32 PM
It's up and running. Amazingly fast! BUT BW2 doesn't fit on the screen. I can see all the middle, but not the top or bottom. I did try to change so the print would be a little larger, but did not intend to do that!

All my regular Big Fish downloaded games play just fine.

LilFae
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by LilFae on Feb 25, 16 7:51 AM
Greetings HorseDancer1,

Grats on your new laptop!! It makes such a difference getting a new puter. The speed is amazing. Then a few years pass and it's slow again lol!

Hope this isn't too off topic. The last puter I had died on me. I was lucky to know someone gracious enough to have all my files recovered and saved by a tech guy for me. After that I've gotten into this habit every Sunday:

1) I run "Disk Cleanup" from Start button and Accessories Folder
2) I downloaded the free version of CCleaner; I run the "cleanup" as well as "scan for issues" under "registry" on the left side of the program. This really cleans up any hidden files or fragments that may cause issues.
3) I run "Disk Defragmenter" from Start button and Accessories Folder
4) I then run "Backup" of all my files to my External Harddrive

Now, you can set all this to run at a specific time. I just like to watch the progress and make sure it really is getting done

Have a beautiful weekend!!

[Post New]by HorseDancer1 on Feb 27, 16 7:04 AM
Thanks LilFae! You have a wonderful weekend, too. Great information. I think the Clickfree will do all that, but I do have CC Cleaner and like it, too. I am still getting used to the new computer and Clickfree is supposed to be delivered today, so I am hoping the data transfer goes well!

Data Transfer was super easy. I transferred documents, pictures and programs that I wanted from my desktop and my old laptop to the new laptop! This also backed up all 3 computers.

Edited on 03/07/2016 at 2:24:54 PM PST

Go to: