Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Rooms: The Unsolvable Puzzle here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 22, 16 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/22/2016 at 5:32:34 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rooms: The Unsolvable Puzzle here.

[Post New]by JudahGrant on Feb 22, 16 12:51 AM
I purchased this on another site a year ago after getting tired of waiting for BFG to release it. Like it's predecessor, it is a unique logic puzzle with no timer, presented with exquisite graphics and a haunting score. If your tired of the same old simplistic matching games, give this one a try. It will give you a chance to think outside the box...literally!

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Feb 22, 16 1:10 AM
This is a unique puzzle game.

Game Mechanics
You have to move the rooms so that your character can exit the room. This is not as simple as it sounds and there are a lot of gimmicks like teleporting and room swaps. The idea is to exit in as few moves as possible, but you can take as many as you want. The game does have a good tutorial and will show you exactly how everything works.

Difficulty
I did find this game fun and challenging for as far as I played. It's easy to get confused and then the best is simply to restart - often I found restarting and trying something different would get me out of the room in 2 moves where the wrong move at the start was sending me in a continuous loop.

Why I will NOT be buying this game
Because the screen shakes - every new room shakes the screen, every time you enter or exit the screen shakes. After 30 minutes of a shaking screen I can't take it anymore. It's a shame, but for the shaking screen this game would've been a definite buy for me.

Warning: This game wants to install direct x - for the most part you can just press cancel when that pops up because if you're playing a lot of games here you already have that installed. If you choose to continue with the installation - it's perfectly safe to install direct x - uncheck the tick box that will install the Bing Bar onto your browser - it is ticked by default. (Unless of course you'd like it installed.)

Edited on 02/22/2016 at 1:10:43 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Feb 22, 16 1:59 AM
Calling all die-hard puzzlers out there...you know who you are...
It didn't take me long to discover that this is a MUST HAVE game for me...and anyone else who finds fun in thinking their way "out of the box".

There are 3 pieces of a gear to earn in each room. Earning ALL the pieces means you found the most efficient way out of the room. You'll be able to go on to the next room, even if you've earned only one piece...but it COULD be fun to restart to see if you can do better. Just guessing, but it might help with the ACHIEVEMENTS too.

There is a very good tutorial, taught by your friend, and hint source, the friendly lantern. After the tutorial, you can get a hint as to how the room should be arranged by moving your cursor to the lantern. The correct arrangement will be highlighted by depressing the left mouse button. Keep the button down, and you can look at it as long as you want to.

There are 21 achievements to be earned and an "extra" part of the house...the basement...that you can play after completing the mansion. I'm just sure it will be devilish.

Loved the whimsical graphics...and the ongoing story of the mansion maker. I can tell that I'll be spending HOURS in this house. I'm using a game coupon, but I would happily have spent the purchase price for this one.

EXCELLENT fun and SO much bang for the buck. Click on those mansion doors and try it for yourself.

Thank you devs and BFG. Hope YOU find some fun today. Happy gaming!

edit: It wasn't obvious to me, at first, so I thought I'd add an explanation of how to get back to the main menu, and the game exit, if you are in mid-puzzle and want to go back.

The lantern is hanging from a gear with a set of double bars in the center. Choose the bars, a menu comes up, choose "Mansion Select" and the full-screen mansion comes up. Choose "Back", and the exit is in the lower left hand corner.

Edited on 02/29/2016 at 6:58:43 PM PST

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Feb 22, 16 4:50 AM

Edited on 02/22/2016 at 5:35:00 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Feb 22, 16 5:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Rooms: The Unsolvable Puzzle here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Rooms: The Unsolvable Puzzle.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Feb 22, 16 2:46 PM
It is DIFFERENT! But: good - you really have to think! I just bought it, and I don't know when I will go to sleep tonight........

tribrach
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by tribrach on Feb 23, 16 4:20 AM
Hi Rainworm,
Oh yes, you're so right. This game is such a breath of fresh air I bought it after about ten minutes of the trial. I know that it's probably going to drive me insane from time to time...but I couldn't resist the challenge of using my own powers of reasoning, instead of having my hand held all the time!
Enjoy
Jenny

technocratee
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by technocratee on Feb 24, 16 1:21 PM
The artwork is beautiful, lots of fun tricks, lots and lots of bells and whistles,
but it gets a bit repetitious and I ran into some minor 'bugs'. I'll give it 3 stars.

Edit: 2 months later,
I was really really wrong, this game is addicting and not repetitious, I still haven't finished it. I wish to call it 5 stars, certainly worth many hours of puzzles.

Edited on 05/13/2016 at 5:58:39 AM PST

TooOld2Play
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by TooOld2Play on Feb 25, 16 9:38 AM
Cute graphics. Nice that it's in PC format as it came out a while ago as an app for Android and was totally unplayable. The only question is, how is it different than the game that came out years before...another version of Rooms? I'd like to use my free game code for it but am afraid it's exactly like the first Rooms, though better graphics. Any ideas?

Nocturne
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Nocturne on Feb 25, 16 4:49 PM
This game hurts my brain after a while, which is a good thing, means my brain is having to actually work (yikes!). Haven't had that happen in a very long time. My problem is I can never remember what I did last time around so I think I'm probably replaying levels exactly the same over and over again (I need a new memory chip in my brain). I like this game cause it does make me think and it's not timed (maybe you can do a times one but I'm not, have enough trouble just figuring how to get out, don't need the pressure of "time is running out!" too). As someone else noted, next time around maybe the designers could make it an option whether we want the side effects (shaking when rooms move, bump when rooms crash into each other, bomb when the telephone teleports, etc--I find it annoying and often gets in the way) to work or not, like something you could turn off in settings (I've seen other games like My Kingdom for the Princess allow you to turn off special effects).

suetyler
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

[Post New]by suetyler on Feb 26, 16 12:54 PM
I agree -- it's a great game. But, there is no Walkthru available. The ones on YouTube are frustrating, because they show someone actually playing the game, and you have to go thru his/her wrong attempts fully, until they hit on the right one. I tried it once (there are no others) and after about 20 retries for the level I was looking at, I gave up in disgust. If you know how to do a level, then just DO it, already.

I finally became irredeemably stuck on Mansion 3, Room 3, and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out the combination of moves necessary to get thru that door. It didn't, actually, look possible. So, I guess I'm done.

Other than that (very BIG ) disappointment, the game is fantastic. Just don't expect to get help, if it's not a question answered on the Forum, as mine wasn't.

suetyler
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

Edited on 02/26/2016 at 3:29:04 PM PST

suetyler
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

Edited on 02/26/2016 at 3:28:52 PM PST

suetyler
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

Edited on 02/26/2016 at 3:28:06 PM PST

suetyler
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

Edited on 02/26/2016 at 3:27:53 PM PST

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Feb 26, 16 3:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you to all who's taken the time to post their reviews for the game. We definitely appreciate all the feedback we receive in these threads. I just wanted to stop by to post a quick suggestion. If anyone is having trouble making a post, or if the page isn't loading correctly, we recommend waiting for a moment and then refreshing the page. This is a great way to make sure posts don't go up more than once.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Mar 14, 16 2:35 PM
I was VERY interested in this game and *wanted* to love it as it's so different and interesting and challenging but the constantly shaking rooms issue is hurting my eyes and head too much...why do devs do things like that?!

So unless that's changed in a future fix or there's a way to turn that feature off as Nocturne mentioned, it looks like this one will be a "no buy" for me. Very disappointing.

uglyteacup
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by uglyteacup on Oct 9, 16 2:50 PM
Rooms drives you maze crazy = FUN FUN FUN, so daddy don't take the car keys away!!!

Take it out for a spin. It will drive my point home.http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/reply/0/

Go to: