Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The Heir Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 25, 16 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/25/2016 at 6:41:14 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The Heir Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by 9otters on Feb 25, 16 2:31 AM
Well...I just don't know what to think of this game. Fabulous graphics, voiceovers, and moody music.

I certainly have never seen SO many zoom windows, full of SO many boxes, cubbies, caches, and layers of secret stashes, etc....opened with all manner of shapes for keys...very few actual keys. Strange too...some things we find LOOK SMALL, but fit into BIG places. Like the proportion is wonky.

It will absolutely be looking good in its next reincarnation...a game for phones and smaller screens. I like a lot of things to do, but it was a bit overwhelming. Almost enough going on for TWO games.

A little busy work on some of the mini-games. HOPs were varied. We're traveling in time...atmospheric, foggy time...and when we do, the HOPs are in the same muted colors as the surroundings. A bit sneaky that. Harder to find objects in those muted colors.

Collectibles are statues/figurines of 13 characters...muted colors with those too, so keep a sharp eye. If you care about screen savers, keep a REALLY sharp eye out in the zoom windows. That is where the puzzle pieces are to create 3 of those.

Don't know how many morphing objects will be found in the regular scenes. They wouldn't say. We find ourselves in a "busy", cluttered world, so I didn't find them jumping out at me...no "helping hand" cursor change.

They've switched the map and hint buttons around. You'll find a tiny pencil icon, by the hint button, that lets you access the strategy guide.

I assume, because I couldn't look, that the "Secret Room" is where we'll find replay of SOME of the HOPs and minis. There was something called an "Archive"...no clue what that is.

Bonus game, 19 achievements...ALL performance related...and CREEPY too, in their collection tower. Transporting hint, 4 difficulty levels, locking inventory, reset on puzzles, NO alternate game if you aren't into HOPs.

The last few Grim Tales were a letdown. Because yesterday's sale code is probably still good, I might see if this one will restore my faith in the series. I cannot say I'm THRILLED, but it is far better as is, than some of the other series, IMHO. BUT...you just never know how its gonna go AFTER the demo.

Try it, and judge for yourself. Happy gaming!

always an edit...Playing on a PC, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit...zero problems.

Edited on 02/25/2016 at 2:47:00 AM PST

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Feb 25, 16 2:52 AM
Have played for 30mins and find I'm bored!
I don't like the "grim and grey" graphics and find the story line just ho hum same old same old. I should like it as there is so much going on but somehow I just cant seem to raise the interest..
Maybe its just me. I wont delete just yet but will come back later and try again

[Post New]by shelterhill on Feb 25, 16 6:27 AM
The demo was so long, 83 minutes, and I have played half way through the game for all I know, and I think that's enough, I liked it a lot, but after this long play, no need to play any further .
Thanks elephant, for the long demo!

Edit: changed my mind, I want to play the entire game so bought it anyway with the weekend sale

Edited on 03/15/2016 at 8:26:51 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 25, 16 6:41 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Tales: The Heir Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Tales: The Heir Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Flissa2
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Flissa2 on Feb 25, 16 7:23 AM
I beta'd this game and enjoyed it. I'm a casual player who plays to relax not for a brain challenge. I remember finding the mini games varied and I could do them without having to skip all the time. I thought the graphics were fine but I do keep a magnifying glass by my side when I play HOGs! As a long time fishy I guess there are only so many variations on a theme. Do play the demo first and make up your own mind which is what I do now. Good gaming fishies!

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Feb 25, 16 9:03 AM
I too, betaed this game and bought it right away with a very good code (still working). Yes, the demo is long here as well as the beta was. I wanted the whole game, see, how it works out.

This is my favorite family saga (some who don't like it, could say soap) and I love the games. It is very well made. Half through by now and very satisfied to have bought it.

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Feb 25, 16 9:30 AM
SPOILER ALERT:
I made it almost all the way through the demo, but I had to delete it. It is just too dumb for my taste. I am not a fan of this series in the first place. I don't have any children, but it seems to me that if you don't want your child to do something (in this case, read certain books), you have it in your power to do something about it, such as put said books under lock and key or destroy them or remove them from your house, if you are really, really concerned about your child.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Feb 25, 16 9:53 AM
I very rarely give bad reviews on the BF forum but just can't pass on this one. This game is so puzzle heavy that if I didn't have a very fast skip option I would have simply deleted the game from the manager. Also you can't even move one step forward with out a puzzle to solve. This series should have long ago been buried and if there is another one coming out Elephant I will not be buying it and I have most of your games. Very disappointing end but perhaps the bonus adds to the story. I feel like I've wasted my time and money. By the time I got to the protagonist I just wanted it to be over. Sorry maybe next game will be more to my liking but this one is going to the archives at Big Fish.

hollyodie
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by hollyodie on Feb 25, 16 12:49 PM
After purchasing the game the map became unusable. When I click on it, I get a compass that you can't use and the achievements/collectibles icons. If anyone else has had this problem and has found a solution, I'd be very glad to hear about it

Edited: after creating a new profile and restarting the game (which I hate having to do!), the map was back.

Edited on 02/25/2016 at 12:57:23 PM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Feb 25, 16 2:57 PM
After playing the demo for 30 minutes, I am liking this game. Great ambiance! Spooky sound for the background noise. Yay! That is what it should be when you are playing a creepy game or a spooky mystery. This is not what I consider puzzle heavy, but it does have puzzles, which I like. I have had only 1 HOP, which is find to me. So far, the story is intriguing and I am not about the story and more about game play. I love a good mystery with a challenge and with the great creepy sound in the background it is a good mixture for me!

I purchased this game using the code for the sale after playing the demo.

And no tech issues using windows 7 Home premium 64 bit.

Edited on 02/25/2016 at 2:59:14 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 25, 16 3:47 PM
Hi all! Wow, we have #10 in this series. Naturally, when they have a special, it's on a series I already have all of the games for. As always, I review on the game play and not the story line, as others do a much better job than I can. The graphics in this game are exceptional, very clear, with bright true colors for a change. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen quite nicely. I loved the sound FX, very realistic sounding storm and the SFX didn't come and go like so many others. Voice overs were well done, except that that I noticed the child's character and his voice didn't seem to match. He was portrayed about 6 years old, but his voice sounded much older and more female. Maybe it was just me. You can click through most of the dialog if you read read faster than they speak, but I found that you cannot in the cut scenes. I didn't really notice the music all that much, as I just listened to the sound FX. I always run my demo in the casual mode to get a feel for the game.

HOPs are varied and done quite well. You have silhouettes, find pairs, find so many of this and so many of that, interactive, etc., so you don't get bored with straight lists. The scenes are very clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. I did not see that you could switch to a different game, but the HOPs are done so well, I don't know why you would want to. Puzzles for the most part were not difficult, but a couple did take some time to complete. Yep, there is a little challenge here and I did get frustrated with one and skipped it after about 10 minutes. I don't usually do that. The SG is the standard, as usual. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport you to longer locations. This is very helpful, as you do a lot of backtracking in this one, especially since you have time travel.

Talk about collectibles! I loved these in this game. You have morphing objects, 13 character statues and puzzle pieces, which they call "screensaver collection." Guess I have to finish the game to see what that means. The collectibles are not difficult to see, but some are a little small and tucked away and the morphing objects morph in and out fairly quickly. Some scenes have multiple puzzles pieces and they don't just jump off the page at you. Be on the lookout for them.

I beta tested this one a while back and loved it. Lots of things to do and look for, so you are constantly on the move. I didn't notice an over abundance of puzzles or HOPs, as compared to other games. If there was, the game flowed so well that I didn't even notice. I like this series and gave the beta a 4.75...I rarely give any game a 5, unless it is exceptional throughout. I think this game as enough challenge for any level of player and more than enough to do to keep you interested and moving. Of course I'm going to get this one...silly question.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the review!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 25, 16 4:05 PM

Hey, Where's My Inheritance?

Aunt Anna is summoned to the Gray estate by Brandon Gray who lives there with wife Elena and son Billy. Elena has fallen ill, Billy has disappeared and an eerie being has been seen around the castle. What's going on?

Grim Tales has been a pretty good series, and I own four of the earlier games. This game includes some time travel, but it’s nothing new, rather it is integral to the series.

Visually the scenes are beautiful, and the palette is weighted towards reds and blues. The scenes are very detailed and each scene has several areas of interest. The music is very low in volume, and never intrudes. Voices are good - acting is perhaps a little overdone (Billy), but fine.

There are no gimmicks, gadgets or helpers - a plus for me. There is an excellent map which can be accessed from an icon on the right. The map is highly detailed, colorful, and almost three dimensional.

Despite the good artwork and cut scenes, in my opinion the game suffers from two problems. First, the story is not particularly exciting or interesting. Its more of the same: missing child, mysterious "other," you must save everyone - stuff that hundreds, if not thousands of games have done a variation of. There is not even anything special in the storytelling. Second, the game play is wildly inconsistent. In other words, puzzles are either really easy or terribly hard. HOPs are either a crazy click fest, or a cause of agonizing eyestrain. In particular, there was one puzzle in the trial (the shields) that I thought should have been included in the bonus material instead of in the game.

CE extras - collectible character figures, morphing objects, screensaver puzzle pieces, secret room, 19 achievements, strategy guide (three chapters out of seven shown in trial), bonus chapter and Archives (what is it? Not sure, must purchase to view).

I enjoyed the earlier games in this series, but I didn't see enough to make me want to purchase this one. Good visuals were bequeathed to The Heir, but the story telling and game play were cut out of the will.

-1/2 stars.

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on Feb 25, 16 7:56 PM
Why do I still get sparkles when I turn this feature off in the custom mode? This is very annoying and only happens with Elephant games. This looks like a very enjoyable game, but until this problem is addressed, it is a no buy for me!

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Feb 26, 16 7:28 AM
I do not know why you keep getting sparkles ediegamer, but have you messaged tech support? I would not be happy if I kept getting sparkles either.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

This Grim Tale Makes This Little Fishie Happy!.

[Post New]by Beingknown on Feb 26, 16 1:54 PM
GREETINGS FISHIE FRIENDS!

Like the other games in the “Grim Tales” series,” The Heir Collector’s Edition” offers lots of things to love. It has beautiful graphics, with sharp, deeply saturated and bright colors. There are clear and uncluttered hidden object scenes, with just the right amount of challenge in finding objects, without making me go cross-eyed. There are many enjoyable puzzles, which allow enough thinking to be interesting, while being easy enough that I don’t see gamers getting frustrated. There are lots of areas and items to discover and explore. I also really appreciate that we get to set our own challenge level, up to and including “Custom”, which I use whenever offered.

Add to that morphing objects within the scenes, several types of collectibles, mini-games within the hidden object scenes, a secret room, multiple achievements a transporting map, that indicates current tasks and player’s location, and a bonus chapter and you have me giving “Grim Tales: The Heir Collector’s Edition” a definite two thumbs up, for a very entertaining game!

Thanks developers and artists and programmers for a great game!

HAPPY GAMING!

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Feb 26, 16 4:24 PM
I loved this game. good length main play and bonus. I just love all of these types of games. grim tales always good games.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Feb 29, 16 3:05 AM
Well the graphics are very good, voiceovers are great, love the hidden object scenes.....but......there are waaaayyyy too many puzzles in this game.....this for me is the dealbreaker.....won't be buying this game after all

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 11, 16 2:25 AM
This game is the most puzzle heavy one I believe I have ever played, one puzzle after another. Some are so easy that you think you are missing something so you get a Hint and then you feel silly. Other puzzles I found to be too tough and Skipped them. Somehow the story got lost for me as I played all of the puzzles. I was occasionally reminded but then forgot again. Sometimes it is too dark and some items too small. I played the Custom setting so I could speed up the Hint recharge. If I had not done that, I probably would not have played long. Most of the Hints I needed were just to see what I knew I was looking for. This is a lengthy game! I Played the Demo, a long one, bought the game and have been playing a long time even with Hints. I think I have played 3 hours since I bought it and am not done yet even though I skipped some puzzles. Overall, the graphics are very good, the gaming is generous but had I known that it was a puzzle chest and not really much of a mystery or story, I might not have bought it. I do own other games in this series and this one is definitely a bit different. I especially recommend it for puzzle fans and for those who like darkness, sleletons and spiders.

[Post New]by lilpeej on May 25, 16 1:50 AM
I enjoyed the demo overall than the entire game itself. Would someone kindly explain the ending to me? TIA

Go to: