bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

James Patterson's Women's Murder Club: comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 14, 09 1:05 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of James Patterson's Women's Murder Club: Twice in a Blue Moon. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
The Women’s Murder Club is back again in the latest installment in the series, Twice in a Blue Moon . Like the previous titles, the focus is on solving crime in the form of a Hidden Object game. Unlike in games that are more “junk pile” in nature, object placement mostly makes sense and items are usually integrated into the scene instead of being messily strewn about. Some levels are a bit on the dark side and objects are occasionally small, making it difficult to find some of them, but few are actually covered in shadow. The art is well-done and small details, such as dust catching the sunlight or a rat scurrying down an alley, add realism to every scene. The background noises also add to each scene and certain sound effects may even catch players off-guard, plus the background music is well-looped and contributes to the overall mood of the game. Those that love murder mysteries will appreciate the very creepy, but very well-written, storyline.

Game Modes:
Twice in a Blue Moon has only an untimed story mode, but is full of mini-games that will work your brain.

Depth:
Twice in a Blue Moon offers nine investigations and a seasoned Hidden Object gamer may be able to complete it within about four hours.

Similar to:
Those that enjoyed the previous James Patterson games, Death in Scarlet and a Darker Shade of Grey, will enjoy Twice in a Blue Moon .

Difficulty level:
Each investigation in Twice in a Blue Moon supplies five hints and there is no timer, but objects are integrated well into each scene and some scenes are a bit dark, making this game challenging. Mini-games are sometimes challenging, but can be skipped.

Reviewed by E.G.

Edited on 12/14/2009 at 3:02:30 PM PST

kiwibmb
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

Re:James Patterson's Women's Murder Club: comments and reviews

[Post New]by kiwibmb on Dec 14, 09 1:12 AM
The link to the walkthrough doesn't seem to be working Would like to see how long this is before i consider buying.
Cheers
Beth

mummypops
Koi
Koi
80,817 Posts

[Post New]by mummypops on Dec 14, 09 1:16 AM
Hi kiwi, there are 9 investigations, I know becaused check it at GZ

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Dec 14, 09 1:18 AM
Kiwi! A kiwi here too. Not sure how long this game is but really enjoyed playing the first hour demo. This game keeps me wanting to know what happens next. Looks a good H.O game with interesting mini games along the way, will buy it so I can find out the rest of the story.

kiwibmb
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by kiwibmb on Dec 14, 09 1:21 AM
Thanks Mummy and MsFreddie. Will probably buy. The items are challenging to find which is good - it is definitely not junk pile - so an interesting game as were the other James Patterson games.

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Dec 14, 09 1:34 AM
Played for 52 minutes completing 2.5 of 9 investigations -- 3 hours or a little more for me.

Graphics are good, though some items are identifiable only by inference -- long, thin thing sticking out of container -> ruler for example. Items are consistent with environment, and would stay where they're shown, though you might wonder what circumstance would cause them to end up there.

Music is ok, generic, not distracting, listenable even.

Story is as we have come to expect from the series, good writing and a bit of personality in the characters.

5 hints per investigation; I used only one so far.

Good integrated puzzles, not difficult, though at least one took me several tries to find the solution because our heroine kept getting killed. Not entirely logical, but what could they do?

In summary, production values are high and play is engrossing in a low to moderate difficulty adventure/HOG.
5.5 of 10 for me; I will probably buy it.

Edit to add: How nice! At $2.99 today, it is a steal!
Edit to add: Finished. Some nice puzzles, but nothing really new to report. Worth 7, glad I got it for 3.

Edited on 01/26/2010 at 8:09:48 PM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 14, 09 2:07 AM
Seems to be a lovely game, but - dark screens and 5 hints per investigation?? That was the last straw which broke the camel's back... .

Enjoy, good eyes...

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Dec 14, 09 3:41 AM
got into investigation 4 of the game during the hour demo stopping after the assembly line of Holmes books and other stuff. These games to me are not worthy of a purchase because they play the same way every time. Finding a dozen red CD's and correctly placing them in a case gets too repetitious and ultimately boring when it is done time after time. All of the other Patterson games I have been able to finish by doing demos at other sites since the game can be continued to its conclusion.

Poppa grade is just a straight C.

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Dec 14, 09 4:28 AM
I bought this games elsewhere and finished it about a week ago. I liked it and found it was very similar to the first game.

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Dec 14, 09 5:25 AM
I've played demos of this at other places. I didn't care for the CD puzzle. (little tricky for my brain) but I love the rest of it. I really feel I'm working towards a goal. The images can get a little dark, but it's no worse than any other popular hidden object game. It's a challenge, and one i enjoy. Thank you Big Fish for getting this game!!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 14, 09 5:34 AM
Poppa47 wrote:got into investigation 4 of the game during the hour demo stopping after the assembly line of Holmes books and other stuff. These games to me are not worthy of a purchase because they play the same way every time. Finding a dozen red CD's and correctly placing them in a case gets too repetitious and ultimately boring when it is done time after time. All of the other Patterson games I have been able to finish by doing demos at other sites since the game can be continued to its conclusion.

Poppa grade is just a straight C.

Sorry Poppa but you say you do not feel these games worthy of a purchase yet you have gone out of your way to finish them by doing demoes at other sites- to me this mean you felt the game worth playing all the way through and therefore the developers do deserve to be paid for that.

I enjoy these games very much, already purchased this one elsewhere and I hope the series continue. The second one was a little different, but they seemed to have taken the good elements from the 1st and 2nd game for Blue Moon.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 14, 09 5:40 AM
I enjoyed this one. Not over the moon enjoyed but a solid 3+ hours entertainment for me. (sorry can't be more precise on time, didn't notice when I started for sure )

First off let me say if you are not one who enjoys stories in your games or get pleasure from them then you will not get as much from it as I did. The game mechanic is pretty simple and straight forward Hidden Object with a little interactivity and some ok mini games. If I can recall it hearkens back more to the first WMC rather than the second which had a lot more interactivity but far less H. O. and people were unhappy about it. But anyway, the story, for me, made a big contribution to make it worth my time and $7.

The game is well crafted - clear polished graphics, unobtrusive but enjoyable music (methinks the composer was a Floyd fan ) which added to the dark atmosphere. Kinda film noir-y vibe. Good use of sound over-all. There is one scene that spooked me good with it's sound, but I won't spoil it. There is enough mix up between activities to keep you moving along. Yes, you do repeat areas and activities but not overly so imo. You do not do the exact same set of activities for each investigation. Some nice variety in mini-games.

I will warn there are some quick click activities BUT the quick-click minis are skippable (as are all minis) and the Hidden Object scenes where you must "catch" flying things (there are 2 scenes of them) I was able to do no problem by watching the path, leaving my cursor still and clicking as the critter flew over it. They are not terribly fast and doing it this way it was easy. The minis where you had to avoid people in a maze I skipped (there were 2 of these as well). Another warning is only 5 hints per "Investigation" but I never used more than 3 and that was really just laziness.

So bottom line for me is if you really enjoy a good mystery story, like relatively easy game play, like a lot of variety within a game, good graphics and music, then I can confidently give you a Poodlebear Approved! If that doesn't suit then best move along, nothing to see here...

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 14, 09 6:18 AM
Not even going to download , not sure if I played this on another site or not cause to me ..they are all the same ...Another murder and a club and a moon ! What a great idea for a book you heard it here !!!..If I go through another week , like I did last week , I'm going to go nuts ...& its not going to be pretty..This is just a WARNING !!!! yours truly

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Dec 14, 09 7:56 AM
I agree oldbay, I love his books but the games don't seem to measure up.

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Dec 14, 09 7:59 AM
I enjoyed my hour very much. I like the CD puzzles. My curser started to run slow when changing scenes toward the end. I don't know whats up with that. Too many windows running probably.

I like the story so far (made it just past the second investigation). I did not feel the urge to skip it at all.

My only issue... wait for my credit or buy today.

Am broke due to pesky relatives wanting Christmas gifts and parties and food. My daughter recently married and converted to Judaism (spelling?) and we went to Hannuka (more spelling) dinner and I am now in love with latkes and jelly donuts.

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Dec 14, 09 9:30 AM
Downloading now, did play the first one, like the graphics but like other replied, looks like the first one and hope the mini's are more interesting in this game.

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Dec 14, 09 10:04 AM
Hi O'Brien, yes it's "judaism" and Hanukkah has many spellings including Chanukah. Latkes are yummy; try them with onions or the plain ones with applesauce (the Granny Smith applesauce they have now is awesome)...the thinner and crispier the better. Also, nothing Jewish about jelly donuts but who cares?

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Dec 14, 09 10:20 AM
I didn't buy the others in the series and won't buy this one either. It's really a shame because it seems like a really good game. I can see very little. The first scene was bad. It had the tiny objects that kept me from buying the previous games and to top it, several of them were in dark places. I had to make constant adjustments to my monitor (moving it) and still had to use most of the Hints. I then played the mini which was easy and moved to the second scene which was in almost total darkness. I could see almost nothing and had to use a Hint to "reach" the street light. I was able to find the ladder but could see nothing else and did not even recognize what the Hint used to reach it. Even after I fixed the light I could find none of the objects and stopped there.

This is a NO for me although I would really love to play it. I will not change my video adjustments for a game. If I did that, I would spend much of my computer time changing my video settings. Sorry, No Sale!

Edited on 12/14/2009 at 10:22:00 AM PST

luvs4cats
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by luvs4cats on Dec 14, 09 11:13 AM
kiwibmb wrote:The link to the walkthrough doesn't seem to be working Would like to see how long this is before i consider buying.
Cheers
Beth

There is a good walkthrough at the [removed by moderator] website. I find their walkthroughs much better since they don't trunkate any of the instructions as seems to be the case with the ones available here.

Edited on 09/21/2010 at 3:30:39 PM PST

rita9720
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by rita9720 on Dec 14, 09 11:56 AM
It is 2:55pm EST and this walkthrough is still not available. Will you please rectify this for all gamers? I agree with luvs4cats and will not consider purchase until walkthrough is available. Thank you.

Go to: