Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Punished Talents: Stolen Awards Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Mar 5, 16 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 03/05/2016 at 5:51:12 AM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Punished Talents: Stolen Awards Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Mar 5, 16 1:23 AM
While I had no technical issues with the demo, I found the story to be boring and dull. And even when the demo was over, I wasn't really sure what the game was going to be about? This is clearly not up to par with most of the successful CE's. No buy for me. Not even if it was free.

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Punished Talents: Stolen Awards Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Mar 5, 16 4:20 AM
SquirrelGirrrl wrote:While I had no technical issues with the demo, I found the story to be boring and dull. And even when the demo was over, I wasn't really sure what the game was going to be about? This is clearly not up to par with most of the successful CE's. No buy for me. Not even if it was free.

Have to agree - quite boring - and definitely not worthy of a ce!

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Mar 5, 16 4:58 AM
Count me in...very uninspired. The gameplay is of the "ask and it shall be given" variety. Every place you think is an active area...is. Didn't even look at the map or strategy guide.

Practically every overused action, found in practically every other HO game, can be found in the demo alone. Feed the animal, find a brush for cobwebs, melt metal in a fireplace, find and use a rope, push a key out of a lock, flashlight that needs batteries, open "this" with "that"...on and on.

Cannot call the HO scenes "HOPs", because there IS no "P". Minimally interactive, except for one with several morphing objects to find. Mini-games...meh.

The CE collectibles are 25 cards that morph, but are easy to see. The only extra besides the usual, was replay of mini-games. Cannot look to see how many, until you buy the game.

No alternate game if you're not up for HOs. No indication of whether morphing objects can be collected if you miss them the first time around.

Wouldn't even consider the SE. No "fun factor" of any kind, for me. Others could very well see it differently.

I have seen Blam do so much better. A big issue is that it is priced as a CE, but does not have enough extra content to justify the extra cost...again, IMO. I am also allergic to games that do not reveal the whole package...until you buy them.

Play the demo. Decide for yourselves. Happy gaming.

Edited on 03/05/2016 at 8:39:19 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Mar 5, 16 5:52 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Punished Talents: Stolen Awards Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Punished Talents: Stolen Awards Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Mar 5, 16 7:38 AM
Well, as usual I'm going to swim upstream here. After a stress filled week, I don't need a game that I have to tear my hair out to get through or use up what few gray matter cells I have left to figure out what to do next.

The graphics are great, music good, story is a classic who done it, and, thank you very much, I haven't seen any little helper I have to feed or dress, easy mobility from spot to spot, etc.

I just going to go relax and enjoy the game. Good job on your hard work, or at least so far, Blam.

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Mar 5, 16 8:52 AM
My first impression of this game is tedious. I had no technical problems with the game, and the graphics were good. The game just did not pull me in. It is lacking in fun factor. I quit playing the sample in 25 minutes and I have no desire to complete the trial. This is a definite no as a CE, and probably won't make the cut for SE. Try it for yourself. It may be enjoyable for you. Not a bad game, just did not do anything for me.

Q

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Mar 5, 16 9:15 AM
Penny1942 wrote:Well, as usual I'm going to swim upstream here. After a stress filled week, I don't need a game that I have to tear my hair out to get through or use up what few gray matter cells I have left to figure out what to do next.

The graphics are great, music good, story is a classic who done it, and, thank you very much, I haven't seen any little helper I have to feed or dress, easy mobility from spot to spot, etc.

I just going to go relax and enjoy the game. Good job on your hard work, or at least so far, Blam.

Thank you! I will swim upstream with you, and what you wrote is perfect. Add the wonderful rainy day atmosphere and this game is spot on for me. It's going to rain in Southern California finally getting El Nino here!
And not to slam the "bored" people, but hey, there are some amazingly difficult pure Adventure games out there that will get those brains whirring, if that's what you want. I do sometimes, and other times I want to relax. So please do as we should all do, try the trial time before making up your minds.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Mar 5, 16 9:58 AM
I have mixed feelings about this game after playing the demo. I personally dislike real heads of people plopped onto bodies that otherwise don't move. Puzzles seemed to be relatively easy for me, and I seemed to earn many achievements. On the positive side, the storyline was good, and a couple of puzzles were different. I will keep this game in mind when the SE comes out and will probably buy it then unless a really good CE sale comes along.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Mar 5, 16 2:43 PM
I played the demo for 20 minutes, another locked door, safe, clock.... Can't these people think of something new for a change, or at least once give me door I can just go through..
I was hoping for a good game.
No such luck, so replaying Nearwood at the moment and loving it

LD3333
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by LD3333 on Mar 5, 16 3:05 PM

Though inspired by Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None", "Stolen Awards" does not live up to the suspense or fun of its inspiration.

Suitably dark, with well rendered graphics, the characters appear more like live actors than game characters. And the lip-sync is completely off. The puzzles consists of the usual rotating and restoring pieces to their correct locations.

Selecting the Map will often open the Achievements screen due to a peculiar button placement.

After finishing the demo I was exhausted. This game was more tedious than mysterious. More punishment than enjoyment. Perhaps that is why it's called "Punished Talents". Will I purchase the game? Certainly not! I am not a masochist.

[Post New]by CherylParker on Mar 5, 16 3:44 PM
I haven't even finished the demo. That's how bored I was.
For me the achievements are the thing that make my decision to buy a CE or wait for the Se to come out. These achievements are basic and most can be achieved by the first chapter. Except for finishing all mini-games and HOP's. Collecting morphing objects btw are so small and hard to see.
The extras are nothing special. Can't replay HOP's or mini-games.
For me this is not CE worthy.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 5, 16 7:34 PM
I got through the demo, but the overall feeling I got was one of boredom. I'm not sure why. The graphics were colourful and clear, the voices were okay (had to turn the music right down though - it was very irritating to my ears).

The puzzles seemed to be okay, but I really got sick of returning time and again to the same spots. I know that happens on most of our HO games, but this time it really bugged me.

I think that the story being so obviously inspired by Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" made me expect a really exciting game, but it just didn't happen. Sigh.

I also think the 'collectibles' (small head shots of old scientists/inventors/whatever) was quite disappointing - certainly not CE worthy imho.

I do think that Blam! Games, have let themselves down with this one, which is a shame, as some of their other games are quite good. For example: The Keepers 1 & 2; European Mystery 1 & 2 (got bored with the later ones); Fierce Tales: Marcus' Memory; and my favourite so far: Revived Legends: The Road of Kings.

Anyhoo, that's my review of this game. I won't be buying the CE, but will look again at the SE, in case it changes my mind But, as always, try the game for yourself - you just may like it

Cheers,

Jen

[Post New]by NancySusan on Mar 6, 16 7:07 AM
It's been a little while since I reviewed a game, and because of the mostly bad reviews for this one, I decided to check it out, and I will say that it might make a passable SE, but I'd never buy it as a CE. Having lived in the '60's, I can safely say this game has nothing to do with 1960, neither in costume, hair or pretty much anything else -- one woman wears a tight fitting pantsuit with some bizarre blouse. The game takes place in some castle, approachable by a very high, narrow roadway/bridge over a very deep chasm, and at the game's start, you lose all communication with the outside, although, interestingly, not your electricity. The only collectibles seem to be morphing scientist/inventor cards, not particularly interesting, but the story could have been fun, people being eliminated one by one, except thanks to our plucky self, hardly anyone dies by the end of the demo. The mini-games are o.k., not terribly interesting, the HOP's are o.k. -- two were a little more interesting: one where all the objects morphed and one with a series of steps before you got to the actual collect the objects part, not bad. There is a lot of silliness, someone actually pronounces the name Lana as Layna, we survive a several story fall in an elevator unscathed, and, again nothing is reminiscent of 1960, except they have a few TV's. The phones and one car look like imports from a 1930's film. There is a typewriter that would have been ancient in 1960. Someone else already noted that in one scene we collect lifesaving water in a glass cup which most likely held poison. The music is also pretty repetitive. I play these games as much for their stories as the actual gameplay, and this is the only reason I might reconsider it as an SE, but not as a CE. However, I think some people will like it, but for others of us who like more complex and demanding play, this isn't worth a CE price, even on sale.

sollys
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by sollys on Mar 6, 16 7:59 AM
I have played the demo and thoroughly enjoyed nearly every aspect of the game.
Will probably buy the SE when available., Graphics are great, storyline is interesting.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Mar 7, 16 4:46 AM
The first thing that irritated me was getting a note about the ninth indian/sailor/whatever, before the tenth person and note were found (counting backwards, of course). I didn't see anyone else mention it, but I had black lags between scenes. I found the morphing objects nearly impossible to see, and boring. OTW, it was disappointing, but when the SE comes out, I'll probably buy it, just to see what happens next.

[Post New]by John195 on Mar 7, 16 8:08 AM
This game is the first in a long time I can actually say I absolutely love.
The story line is very interesting because it changes many times. The artwork is beautiful. The hidden object and mini games are as good as they can get, in my opinion.
I Couldn't find anything I didn't like about this! Great job!!

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Mar 7, 16 7:32 PM
I guess I can be grouped in with the Dunces because I like this game. The HO's were a bit different than any I have seen -- the morphing objects. The games in the demo were mostly easy but fun. Some I had not played before, but I don't play as many games as a lot of the Fishies . The graphics were very good and clear. I did not have trouble following the story line but I did notice the error with us gamers seeing #9 note before #10 note. The mouth movements aren't in sync with the words but that doesn't bother me. I will purchase the CE unless we can find out that the story finishes well without the Bonus. No technical problems for me throughout the demo. (Windows 8.1 64 bit)

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 9, 16 11:26 AM
Hi all! Well, this is #2 in this series, yes, I have the first. As always, I review on the game play and not much on the story, as others do a far better job than I in that department. The graphics in this game are excellent, very clear and clean. Colors are very true, no blues or pinks for a change. Game play was very good, with no problems during the demo and the scene fit my large screen very well. Voice overs are age and character appropriate and quite good as well, with excellent animation, i.e., mouth and eye movements. Music was soothing and did move with whatever was happening in the scene at the time. Sound FX are fairly well done and between this and the music, I found no "dead" spots of nothing but quiet.

HOPs are well done, with a combination of interactive lists, silhouettes and morphing objects. The scenes are pretty clean and clear and items were not difficult to find. There seem to be quite a few in this game so far. I did not see that you could switch to something else if you didn't care for the HOPs. Puzzles were very simple, at least the few I ran across during the demo, and nothing new or exciting. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport you to longer locations. You don't really do that much back-tracking, but there is some. Naturally, you can use the jump map, but the transport automatically pops up when you can use it and I'm too lazy to open the map and jump. I was disappointed in the map set up, very bland, but it was okay and usable. One thing that was different, was if you have an inventory item that has multiple pieces to it, in most game you have to collect all pieces before you can use it. This game, you can place the pieces as you get them. Guess that's okay, but then I forget what I need to look for if it isn't sitting in my inventory...it's the little things I guess.

The only collectibles I found are 25 "invention cards." These show different types of inventions, what it is and who invented it. Not sure what that has to do with the story yet, but maybe I'll find out. These cards are not all that easy to spot. They are hidden in some pretty dark areas and some are quite small. I think finding them is the challenge here. I was disappointed in the collectibles, it definitely needed something more.

At first, I didn't think much of this game, thinking it was too simplistic. I found that the more I played, the more I got into the story. This is not a challenging game and as I said, the collectibles left a lot to be desired, but I liked it. Today must be one of those "no brainer" kind of days, when a simple game with a not bad story strikes my fancy. I think this game will appeal to a lot of people, especially on lazy days like today. Yes, I will get this game, although I don't feel it is CE worthy, due to the lack of nice collectibles. I may change my mind if a really good sale comes along.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Mar 9, 16 12:17 PM
shelterhill wrote:I played the demo for 20 minutes, another locked door, safe, clock.... Can't these people think of something new for a change, or at least once give me door I can just go through..
I was hoping for a good game.
No such luck, so replaying Nearwood at the moment and loving it

Me too!

Go to: