bfgEuphrates
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,152 Posts

Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by bfgEuphrates on Dec 17, 09 9:20 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 17, 09 9:30 AM
On a totally unrelated topic, why do I keep reading "Duck Tales" instead of Dark?

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Dec 17, 09 9:34 AM
Really enjoyed this game. Excellent graphics and appropriate music. Objects pretty easy to find and a lot of interaction with objects. Puzzles are not difficult and there are several. Good story with just the right amount of dialogue. It is not a really long game 3-4 hours for the normal gamer. Definitely recommend the game.

[Post New]by christinesav on Dec 17, 09 9:42 AM
I read the previous comments on the other thread and took a look at the demo and then read the blog for this game.

I went ahead and bought from BFG as I could see immediately that here was the game that I had been waiting for.

I have played 30 minutes so far and it is excellent. I know I have paid extra but the pleasure of playing the game outweighs the price already.

For any of you still contemplating I would advise to go ahead and buy, as this game has me hooked already and with some games you just "know" when they are going to be good.

Congratulations of a superb game that will keep me occupied whilst the UK is being covered in snow !!

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Dec 17, 09 2:33 PM
ok i guess that i am in the minority i bought the ce game, i completed 2 full chapters in an hour and 1/2 the game has 9 chapters. so it looks like it will be a long one. there are 2 modes, easy and adventure, the easy mode hidden object scenes sparkle, adventure mode you have to find the hidden object scenes. the graphics are great, i even like the music, very creepy feeling, i love edgar allan poe. it is an ihog, so far the items that you search for in the hidden object scenes are for this time period. they are not teeny tiny objects either. i really like the story as well.

so far i give this game 1/2

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Dec 17, 09 2:58 PM
I went ahead and bought the CE. I am really liking it. I have never paid that much for a download game. Got it for myself for Christmas. This will give me lots of hours of gaming fun. It's replayable too. I started the game over after installing the CE version and got different items than the first time.

I find the game to be relaxing. The music is okay. Lots of things to do in each chapter. The graphics are nice too. :thumbup

Edited on 12/17/2009 at 3:01:25 PM PST

jampony
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by jampony on Dec 17, 09 6:01 PM
It sounds like everyone loves the game, but I have to say I'm kind of disappointed. I chose to play in expert mode because I really like a challenge, but the game keeps highlighting hot spots for me with little flashes; I'm even getting sparkles over the hidden object areas. The objects are not difficult to find at all and the puzzles aren't too complicated; I've been playing for an hour and have used only two hints.

My biggest pet peeve is that they put the background sounds on the same track as the music. I always turn the music off because I find it distracting, but in doing so, I lose the fantastic ambient noises like rain, thunder, rustling leaves, etc. so now I'm playing in complete silence. I've been actively boycotting other games that do this.

I'm annoyed with myself for paying the extra money for the collector's edition. I spent the extra for Dire's Grove because I felt like I wanted to support BFG's efforts in making such great games, but I don't believe this game is as good as Dire Grove. If there was a BFG-approved demo available, I would have tried it first and would have known not to purchase it. Lesson learned; next time I'll wait for the demo.

On the plus side, I've already purchased four games this month... two more and I get a freebie! Gotta love all the awesome BFG perks! They definitely make one disappointing game (out of, like, a hundred good ones) worth it.

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Dec 17, 09 6:16 PM
I've only been playing for a short while, but had to cease for a moment just to say this is one of the most beautifully rendered games I have ever seen! It's magnificent. The play is exciting; it hooks you, draws you in and you have that je ne sais quois feeling that you are being led on inexorably to something mysterious, profound and enthralling. It's as captivating as the best novels, films, symphonies.

I'd bet almost anything it will be superb all the way through--it has that feel.

Two paws up from the Houdini cats who are postively mesmerized!

Bravo! It has "winner" written all over it--it's unique and very nearly unparalleled in its meticulous execution.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Dec 17, 09 7:15 PM
Just got done playing it and I have to say I really did enjoy it! Beautiful graphics and music! I really liked how the bonus stuff was not part of the game so it was very definitely obvious what was the game and what was the bonus stuff so much less confusing than Dire Grove that way, but Dire Grove was also fun that way, too.
Anyway, back to Dark Tales. It took me about 5 or 6 hours to play it. I don't know for sure because I couldn't find anything in the main menu that said what the times were.
I don't regret getting it and if you are one that has decided you like the CE thing then get it! If not, the game is well worth it as just a game by itself when the regular edition comes out! Beautiful and intriguing game!

Thank you, Big Fish!

egoheater
Clownfish
Clownfish
557 Posts

[Post New]by egoheater on Dec 17, 09 7:54 PM
I really like this game but did anyone else have trouble getting out of the prison office I have done 3 cells and it doesn't seem to have any thing else to do but it wont let me out of the office any ideas I could try. Thanks in advance.

egoheater
Clownfish
Clownfish
557 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by egoheater on Dec 17, 09 8:21 PM
I really like this game but did anyone else have trouble getting out of the prison office I have done 3 cells and it doesn't seem to have any thing else to do but it wont let me out of the office any ideas I could try. Thanks in advance.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Dec 17, 09 8:33 PM
I liked this game for the extra levels itself. So much better than the extras in Dire Grove which I thought were a bit weak. True, Dire Grove gave a bit more mystery but this game, albeit a trifle weak on the hard puzzles side, gave a good sense of being a game about itself. I enjoyed it, and its length.

Edited on 12/17/2009 at 8:33:49 PM PST

montysgirl
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by montysgirl on Dec 17, 09 9:14 PM
Wow what a great game I LOVE it!!!!

wrath6
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wrath6 on Dec 17, 09 9:49 PM
hi,

i am trying to decide which collecter's edition to purchase EAP or DIRE, is there anyone who has purchased both or played both games that can give me an opinion ? i plan on buying both but can only afford one CE at this time, any and all help is appreciated.

thxs

youreyes13
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by youreyes13 on Dec 17, 09 10:20 PM
I just finished the game and loved it!!! (of course it could be longer, but I'm a HOG addict!) I have no regrets on purchasing the CE because the people that put together these beautiful games (and BF) deserve it for their hardwork and creativity...not to mention a budget to make the next game in the series!!!

Funny how things kinda just fall into place. I really didn't have the $$$ to purchase this one since I purchased MCF DG and a few other games, so I was going to wait for the $6.99 version. I really, REALLY wanted to play this one though, and sure enough...within an hour I received a phone call and picked up a side job for tomorrow that will pay for it....YEAH!!!

Anyway, this game rocked and I can't wait for the next EAP edition!!!

sanpry
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by sanpry on Dec 17, 09 10:38 PM
any one know the download file size?
on this one. thanks might treat myself for xmas, wouldt want to pay this all the time though, happy games to all the fishes.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Dec 18, 09 12:32 AM
Since I am living on a VERY limited income I could not afford the CE version of DG but used my game credit for the standard version. Thought it was challenging and grateful for the Walkthrough to help me when I got stuck. I have no regrets about wating since I would have felt I had overpaid for the Morphing aspect. So this time as well, I will hold off and wait. I hope this trend doesn't continue. On a positive not, we do get to get to read all the reviews from those who paid/played the CE version before deciding to purchase.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 18, 09 1:41 AM
This is really an incredible game. All the elements are there: beautiful graphics that are also crisp and clear, good-sized objects to find, good storyline (Poe!), ample hints, a good sense of humor (hint: click more than once on the chair in the police station, heh heh), just everything is very well done. Believe me, in the jail cells, I wanted out as fast as I could get out!

I'm still playing the game, and looking forward to getting the bonus content in my CE version. And to playing the game again at some point! It's that good that I know that i will replay it.

Just as I did with DG, I'm taking my time to savor it all.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 18, 09 1:45 AM
egoheater, go to the home page for this forum (click on it above) and look for the walkthrough thread. It took me awhile to get out of jail too!

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Dec 18, 09 2:42 AM
Well I said I was going to wait for the 6.99 version but I just couldn't do it .
This is beautifully made like DG. And I'm loving it!
Thank you BF!

Go to: