annieliz1
Salmon
Salmon
2,640 Posts

Annieliz1 Windows 10 pc problems FIXED

[Post New]by annieliz1 on Mar 10, 16 4:13 AM
Feeling reckless I pushed the button and took Windows 10 on board. Terrifying for me! Well, some things are working but not others. MC opens but very quickly closes with a note saying that a problem has been found (I myself may be the problem!). I can play other games purchased from BF but not MC presumably because it is a bit more complicated what with interacting with other people.

The internet appears to be working okay (I had used Microsoft Explorer as my browser previously but now seem to have Microsoft Edge - is it okay?) and I am receiving emails so I don't know why there is a problem with MC. Will send a message to the technical team seeking their help. In the meantime I won't be able to gift anything until it is fixed which I sincerely hope will not be too long.

One strange thing (actually everything happening is a strange thing to me). When I entered my email address to log into BF instead of getting the ampersand symbol I got the double speech marks symbol. So working on that logic when I wanted to enter the ampersand symbol I pressed the key showing the double speech symbol and - you've guessed it - the ampersand showed up. Don't know if this relates to Windows 10 or whether the keyboard is losing its mind.

Will let you know when problems are resolved. Please bear with me.

Edited on 03/10/2016 at 11:18:47 AM PST

okiejustme2006
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

Re:Annieliz1 Windows 10 pc problems

[Post New]by okiejustme2006 on Mar 10, 16 4:20 AM
Just to let you know there are thousands of us in your same situation. We are waiting to see if and when they can rectify the problem. Sorry it happened to you.
Connie
Aah Me

[Post New]by vinnis on Mar 10, 16 6:28 AM
I have the same problem the question is are they working on it or are they ignoring it?

Anneke_B
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Anneke_B on Mar 10, 16 7:13 AM
I had the same problem. It opens and said there was a problem and closes the program. I tried it several times and suddenly its starts with installing the update.The download of the update was no problem. A zillion times the same problem with closing, but every time I tried it again the installing was a couple percent further. At the end MC was complete upgraded and now I'm playing fine.

annieliz1
Salmon
Salmon
2,640 Posts

[Post New]by annieliz1 on Mar 10, 16 7:58 AM
I am the cleverest; I am the most brilliant. Let's have a party, open the champagne, dance on the tables. I have solved the problems (with the help of the Help section of BF). I actually managed to follow the instructions and get an outcome!

When I first downloaded WIndows 10 I was full of trepidation. I imagined the computer exploding, throwing fiery shards in all directions and generally destroying all the houses in my street. Well, that didn't happen and I was relieved that I could still access some of my games and programmes. When I discovered the problem with MC closing down because of an error I was just going to push it all to the BF Technical people along with a Dr Felix report when I decided to try my hand at the suggestions concerning updates. It took a while for this to work through but - when it was completed and I restarted the computer - MC worked just as it had done before.

I am so completely technically illiterate this is a great day for me; I have resolved a problem on my computer. I totally realise that other people may have different problems that cannot be resolved by working through the list of updates but if anyone is as useless as I am and are suffering similar problems I will try to help you if I can.

I am so happy!!!

annieliz1
Salmon
Salmon
2,640 Posts

[Post New]by annieliz1 on Mar 10, 16 7:59 AM
Anneke_B wrote:I had the same problem. It opens and said there was a problem and closes the program. I tried it several times and suddenly its starts with installing the update.The download of the update was no problem. A zillion times the same problem with closing, but every time I tried it again the installing was a couple percent further. At the end MC was complete upgraded and now I'm playing fine.

Yeah, you too. It's a really good feeling, isn't it!

[Post New]by pmwright610 on Mar 10, 16 9:00 AM
Okay, annieliz1, I am glad you were able to make it work for you, and am curious as to what you did to make it work. I was so frustrated with Win 10, I uninstalled it after one day. The only thing I really liked about it was my photos and videos came out great. There are a few issues that have to be fixed now, and I also am so technically illiterate I have trepidations about doing anything else. Lucky for me though, the techie son is coming home in a couple of weeks and I know he can figure it all out. But I would be interested in how you made it work.

And Anneke_B I tried that but wasn't getting anywhere fast. The game closed so quickly, there was no progress. It stayed at 16%. But for you too, glad it worked out. You must have great patience.

susiewastaken
Salmon
Salmon
2,847 Posts

[Post New]by susiewastaken on Mar 10, 16 9:42 AM
Hooray, annieliz1 !
Am so happy you got your win10 to work with MC.

(am still putting off win10 for now, but i'm a big chicken)

Just a thought: you might want to edit this thread title
to add something like " (fixed!) "
to help win10 folks with the same problem.
(You know, get their attn.)

annieliz1
Salmon
Salmon
2,640 Posts

[Post New]by annieliz1 on Mar 10, 16 11:18 AM
Good thinking, susiewastaken. I fully realise that I may have just struck lucky and may have not solved the world's problems but it would be good if I could help even one person. I just need to work out how to change the title of this thread.

Okay, what did I do. I clicked on Help at the top of the screen.

At Help screen I clicked on "Game crashing, freezing or blank screen" Under the hearing "Suggested troubleshooting steps" there are six suggestions any of which might well help some players but I was getting hysterical by this time and didn't bother. Then I saw at the bottom of the screen "People who read this answer also viewed..." - and it listed five options one of which is "Windows 10". So I went there.

Under "Windows 10" I clicked on "What if my games crash, freeze or won't play" and there I found a list of instructions under "Windows Update". You can of course find these instructions for yourself but they read:

1.Open the Start menu.
2.Select Settings.
3.Select Updates and Security.
4.Click Windows Update.
5.Make sure that the check box for Check online for updates from Windows Update is selected.
6.Click Check for Updates.
7.Make sure to download and install all critical updates.
8.Once the updates are complete, restart your computer and try downloading or playing your game again.

And I did, and it worked! I would love it if this helped someone else. Computer technology frightens me; we didn't have computers when I was at school and while I had to use many computer programmes in my work I never had the faintest clue how they worked. And I still don't.

Milan_Indiana
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

Re:Annieliz1 Windows 10 pc problems FIXED

[Post New]by Milan_Indiana on Mar 10, 16 11:28 AM
I haven't been able to get in for days either...it makes you wonder WHY THEY DON'T REMOVE THE UPGRADE until they get it fixed for everyone?

Doesn't make sense to me to leave hundreds of people locked out while we wait and don't even get an update as to what is happening...except they are aware.

I feel customer service on this issue is lacking.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Mar 10, 16 11:35 AM
They can't remove the current version / updated version as it is the current one out and the old version is overwritten on the download servers. It is hard to say if they would have a copy of the old updates / versions.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Mar 10, 16 1:31 PM
Hi annieliz1,

I'm glad that the steps in the help article worked for you! In case anyone else would like to give them a try, I've included the link below:

Windows 10

While others may have found temporary workarounds that seem to be working as well, we must remind our players that we do not recommend deleting or swapping game files as this can cause unforseen and/or permanent damage to your game.

As for rolling back to a previous version of the game, this is not currently an option as this would have a high probability of causing additional problems.

If anyone continues to experience problems despite the recommended steps, we are asking for your continued patience as the Midnight Castle team is currently working on the release of a permanent fix as soon as possible.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread since it's regarding a tech issue, but you're always welcome to post tech issues in the designated thread:

Post your Midnight Castle (PC) Technical Issues Here Only!

Thank you all, and do know that the Forum Moderation Team will post in this forum as soon as any new information is made available.

bfgWaimea

Go to: