HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

Military Duty

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Dec 18, 09 11:29 AM
This is not really about the game, per se, but just something that we all need to keep in mind. Now, the woman in the game gets all upset and angry with her husband when he leaves for his Military duty. I can understand her not wanting him to leave.....that's a natural feeling.....but to get mad at him and say she hates him and not to bother coming back, etc. etc. .......she needs to realize, that he is in the Army, and when they go boo, you jump, and you have no choice in the matter. Anyone who has served in any branch of the military will know, that you do as you are told, no ifs ands or buts about it.
In this game, it didn't show whether or not, he explained this all to her, but she should have known it herself without him having to explain it. She knew when she married him, that he was military......so, IMO she is acting very non-compassionate towards him and in all reality, rather pocessive........................

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:Military Duty

[Post New]by bribling on Dec 18, 09 1:28 PM
This story, Max, bothered me more than anything else in the game. I agree with you. This woman married a man who is in the service. She knew that when she married and yet she sends him ti war with the words, "I hate you!". Sadly, this has probably happened to some service member. I cannot understand it though. How could anyone let a spouse they love go to war with those words ringing in their ears?

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Dec 18, 09 3:51 PM
Agree with all said above. I'd like to add two things.

1. Makes no difference if this guy is military or not. Too many times these days younger people get mad, get divorced, break up, etc. There is just no way that people even try to work through the tough times. The "I hate you" remark is said all too often in the heat of the moment. If this is the response to an argument, then the love isn't very deep after all, and they probably shouldn't be together in the first place.

2. Being the spouse of a 20 year veteran, I know -- when two people decide to get married and one is in the military, they know going into it what the job entails. There will be deployments, there will be uniforms to iron, there will be listening to the National Anthem at the movies, there will be lots of things that are different and part of a service member's way of life. If the spouse is not willing to "get over it" and be part of the service life, then don't get married (or live together).

Sorry if I sound irritated about this whole concept, but I am irritated! I have been through too many wives that can't "cut the mustard." What in the world were they thinking when they married a soldier/sailor/marine/whatever. You knew going into the marriage what the "job" entails, both the service member and your job. So there. Off my soap box.

Golly, ya think this thread belongs in Chit-Chat?

gringojoy
Catfish
Catfish
1,739 Posts

[Post New]by gringojoy on Dec 18, 09 4:00 PM
Bless you, Max for bringing this subject up. I found it very childish & hurtful to all veterans and all active military!!
HUGE slap in their faces!
We don't need games like this!
Joy

darkstarr
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by darkstarr on Dec 18, 09 6:53 PM
I agree with all of the above. I am a military momma, and have been for 11 years now.
My son is just married and I have a beautiful grandson, which I am going to visit for the holidays. He is stationed at an air force base. Thank God I have some money for this, Both of us are out of work right now due to layoffs, I am living basically on savings. Military life is not easy and any woman or man that goes in thinking it's a piece of cake , check it. It is not.But it can be a great future for a determined person.

Holidays are sad for us, because we can never much be together, this holiday despite the oncoming storm, and financial garbage will be great. I just want everyone to know ,maybe this isn;t the right place for this discussion, it is really hard when your loved one is far away and in some cases dangerous situations, and every night you sit and and wait for the call praying it will never come These men and women that choose to serve I give them a lot of credit. I am 55 and remember the draft, that does not happen today. Most people sign up themselves, as far as the game goes,
There are a lot of great women out there supporting their men, my daughter in law is one of them.There are a lot of men supporting their women, this game was very childish and hurtful, I agree.
I am also the wife of a disabled veteran, and my father was a prisoner of war for 4 years.

God Bless and Best wishes to us all for a safe and Happy Holiday,
your friend Darkstarr.

bamlink
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by bamlink on Dec 19, 09 6:42 AM
Might I remind everyone that this is a casual game, not a political statement, and that the main characters are cartoons, not public or celebrity figures. Sheesh!

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Dec 19, 09 9:48 AM
bamlink wrote:Might I remind everyone that this is a casual game, not a political statement, and that the main characters are cartoons, not public or celebrity figures. Sheesh!

You are, of course, right bamlink. (well, maybe except for the 'sheesh' part)

It is a game, but I suppose nearing the holidays with family members being apart this may not have been the appropriate time to release this game. So now BF knows, and I'm sure it was not intentional, and that it won't happen again.

LucyMarie
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by LucyMarie on Dec 19, 09 2:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up--I saw the game and wondered about whether or not I should try it. Mostly cause in 2007 and 2009 my husband was deployed to the land of the sandbox and I do not want to play a game that will make me more upset he is gone at Christmas. If you want to do something for families of military members volunteer or dontate to the USO

Chi3165--what branch? I ask cause John will be at 20 when he comes home next August/September. And, we have not had to iron a uniform since the Army went from BDUs to ACUs I am with you on women (and men) marrying Service members and being upset over the lifestyle.

Blessings,
(Merry Christmas!!!),
LucyMarie

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Dec 20, 09 1:14 AM
As a military brat myself, I found myself getting VERY annoyed with the female character in this. She married a man who was in the service; she had to know how important the service was to him. I could understand her being upset and broken up at the prospect of his leaving, especially since her husband was apparently going to war...but I could not understand her becoming enraged that he refused to toss aside his legal and military obligations and stay home with her.

It seemed like sloppy characterization--as if the designers wanted to give Maria a reason to be particularly haunted by what might have been if her husband had lived, but didn't know how to express her unhappiness and grief. So they created an argument for Maria to angst about. Unfortunately, the nature of the argument meant that Maria became someone who didn't understand the importance of duty to David...which meant that she really didn't understand the man she claimed to love. This weakened the entire story for me.

It's a beautiful and difficult game. But I would have liked it much more if I could have believed in the depth of Maria's love.

Go to: