Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mushroom Age

[Post New]by Slite on Dec 19, 09 5:43 AM
I just played the free demo and then bought the game. I've only been a fishy for about a month, but this looks like the best 2.99 HOG I've seen in that time. This is not a game I'd pay the 6.99 for, but totally happy to get as the daily deal.

This won't be much of a review, because I've only played the first three chapters. I might update later, but probably plenty of others will beat me to it.

It's a little too easy in places, but it still has some good tricks and misdirections. The dialogue, situation, animation, etc. is silly but that's par for the course. An example is in the first chapter where smelling your perfume makes a scientist pass out because it reminds him of a photo of his wife (what? really?). Oh well, I enjoy the ridiculousness. And of course some of the funniness is just from the conventions of the **** genre: everyone has always lost everything and we are happy to help them find their stuff. It does feel like the developer was working hard to make something that looked cool and had genuine creativity within the limited budget of a casual game.
There is a lot of voice work and it's a long way from Dreamfall quality, but still fun and totally acceptable.

Rather than a list of items, the game usually displays the shapes of what you need to find. Or it will have you look for a certain number of the same kind of things. There also are many segments where you need to find a specific object for a specific task (turn on the light to find one item to use on another item).
There are also a few mini-games but I haven't played enough to have a worthwhile opinion on them.

I finished the first three chapters in about 45 minutes and there are over 20 chapters so I figure there should be about five hours of game here for me. Your mileage may vary. Heck, my mileage might even vary.

One consideration is that the game only saves at the start of each new chapter. I'm a big fan of save anywhere gaming, but in a game like this, it's no big deal. I'd still prefer if it saved as it went, but as I can finish a chapter in about fifteen minutes I won't grouse much.

I'll finish by saying I was delighted to get a decent HOG in the daily deal. I previously bought Paranormal Agency, Redrum, and Righteous Kill and Mushroom Age looks to be the best of that bunch.

Edited on 08/08/2010 at 9:25:52 AM PST

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

Re:comments and reviews

[Post New]by Slite on Dec 19, 09 6:04 AM
Sorry, I'm longwinded.
Just want to add that I liked the two or three mini-games I've played so far. But they are NOT SKIPPABLE. This could make for great frustration so I thought I'd better mention it.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Dec 19, 09 8:07 AM
That's a good idea Auntann, but I'm still a newbie at the casual games so other's reviews might be more worthwhile. I have played quite a few adventure games though.

By the way, the **** in my original post makes it look like I was swearing. I wasn't! I just used the acronym HOG for Hidden Object Game and the automatic checker must have decided that was swearing. I'm all in favor a good cuss, but it sure wouldn't make any sense in the context of that sentence.

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Dec 19, 09 2:36 PM
Slite and Auntann11,

Thanks for the reviews - I'm an "older" fishie, with not that many posts, but I sure do enjoy reviews. Because of yours, I'm getting this DD.

Fair (Chrys)

[Post New]by Mimiunderthesea on Dec 19, 09 3:12 PM
Really good review Slite. Well spoken.
Thank you.

***First Forum Comment***

[Post New]by US19561960 on Dec 19, 09 3:38 PM
Well not long finished the 60 minute try out and found it quite a challenge. It's definitely a game where you won't get penalised for going click-happy looking for items. It's of course a partially iHOG game and normally i wouldn't consider buying that type of game (and we've got loads of HOG games from BF since way back in may when we joined), however i felt it might just be long-winded enough to be replayable from time to time. Especially as it's on cheap day BTW the dialogue goes on forever lol.

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Dec 19, 09 3:53 PM
Mushroom Age is a straight IHOG with little or no junkpile HOG elements to it.

The good: No apparent timers
Unlimited hints
No penalties for incorrect clicks
Varied puzzle types
Progress indicator on each save game screen
Appears to be quite a long game (even when skipping through the story dialog)
Hidden object puzzles make sense within the context of the game

The bad: Awful, terrible, horrible voice acting
Subpar graphics during the story dialogs - even for a HOG (the graphics during the hidden object puzzles aren't as bad)
Game only saves at the beginning of a new chapter
Some hidden object puzzles are mostly based on pixel hunting
Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of dialog between each puzzle

Who will like this: IHOG fans

Edited on 12/19/2009 at 4:01:42 PM PST

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Dec 19, 09 6:46 PM
Karolyneb -- nice summary and you hit some points I missed.

The dialogue didn't feel interminable to me, but some people generally dislike dialogue scenes and some like them. I fall in with the latter group. The dialogue was also amusing -- sometimes intentionally and sometimes unintentionally.

I can't really argue with you about the level of voice acting. But so long as it isn't downright annoying, I generally prefer to have voice acting rather than flat text. It just makes the game a little more immersive for me. Also, while I've heard some great voice acting in computer games...let's say my level of expectation isn't very high. With these low budget games, I always imagine the voice actors are probably like the sister and best friend of the developer. Anyway, the voice acting in this game fell into the "not grating or annoying" category but others may have different tolerance levels.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Dec 19, 09 6:48 PM
Thanks for the kind comments mimiunderthesea, cll1950, and fairhavenfish01!

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Dec 19, 09 9:18 PM
Slite, thanks for the compliment!

I just read your review and it is really good - I like the examples and the style makes one want to continue reading. I don't read any reviews before I write mine and come back to the page periodically afterwards.

Personally, I like good dialog and a story in my games but, depending on the quality of the voice acting, tend to just read the text on the screen and click through the actors talking.

I tend to like to make my reviews as objective as I possibly can and just list out what I think are the good and bad points of the game (but sometimes fail - there was a recent game that I disliked so intensely I think the good point was that the game was able to run on my computer or something like that ). Lots of dialog is something that keeps coming up as a complaint so it is something that I like to point out.

Edited on 12/19/2009 at 9:26:25 PM PST

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Dec 19, 09 9:29 PM
I demo'ed this game when it first came out and it didn't grab me at all, but when I checked it out today I suddenly liked it.

I love the voice acting because it's so very goofy and makes me laugh, likewise the way the characters bob on and offstage lol. Lots of charm and not too difficult, love the graphics and really liked seeing a representation of the Venus of Willendorf in the Stone Age scene.

All in all a real bargain for $2.99 and I would have bought it for the regular price if I felt about it then the way I do now.

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Dec 20, 09 1:05 AM
re no penalties for repeated clickings...

i think that in this game, the emphasis is a little different from a traditional HOG
in that you have to click everywhere to try and find how to solve the puzzle parts of the game..sometimes the sparkles help...but you've got to have your cursor near the right area......

I agree that penalties for random clicking when there's a specific hidden object list to find are right...

but I just feel this is different........

Also - yes the cartoon scenes are a hoot, I think the eyebrow animator was on overtime!! but it gives the game a quirky feel all of its own.

Edited on 12/20/2009 at 1:08:12 AM PST

MaggieMaeeye
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,101 Posts

[Post New]by MaggieMaeeye on Dec 20, 09 1:09 AM
OMG!!! i love it love it love it!! I loved mushroom age! it was my first interactive hidden object game!

you know, of course, that Sam Swift has a new one out, right?

Edited on 12/20/2009 at 1:09:54 AM PST

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Dec 20, 09 4:59 AM
I've continued to play and am still enjoying the game. Yep, I can easily see someone being happy to pay full price for this one.

Just finished gives Socrates a massage and didn't mind at all. Think of all he did for western civilization. Don't we at least owe him a good massage if that's what he wants?

One other issue I've noticed is occasionally the item we are supposed to find doesn't look AT ALL how one might expect it. This has only happened a couple times so far. The most recent one was what I swear was a statue of cupid that was apparently armor. So when you are near the end of a **** scene and there's just that one object you can't find..click on everything.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Dec 20, 09 8:12 AM
Ah! Figured out why I got the ****! It seems I can write "HOG" for Hidden Object Game, but they don't like me to write "****" for Hidden Object. How funny.

What would happen to Santa Claus if he visited here and went, "**** **** ****!"

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Dec 20, 09 12:07 PM
I think you'd see stars

very Christmassy

Anyway......Christmas stockings are fulll of hidden objects....
maybe that's why he says .....what he does

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Dec 20, 09 5:22 PM
one of the best hog that i've played in a long time. i like it because there is alot of mini different games to play and it is very humourous, funny and hilarious.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Dec 20, 09 7:12 PM
Okay now that I've finished I have to say some of the mini games were pretty darn hard, without LizzieK and her fabulous photo bucket I'd still be pounding away at the mirror puzzles! So if you like your games on the easier side like me there is help out there and if you like them harder you should be happy too.

The most sheer fun I've had playing a game for ages! All thumbs up!

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Dec 20, 09 10:49 PM
REVIEW: I bought Mushroom Age for $2.99 on a daily special and really enjoyed the game. It is silly, campy and sometimes hysterical. The designers must have had a great time putting together such a far-fetched story to hang various types of mini games on.

It took me several hours to complete all the levels and I enjoyed it. Well worth the investment. I thought the plot twists were entertaining--talking dinosaurs, evil mushroom, naked Socrates.

Some of the games in higher levels were challenging (ball bounce, for example) but I really like the low stress (no penalties, no time limit, lots of help for most levels) game play. Really though, it is the silly story that keeps you coming back for more. Probably won't be as good the second time through, but it was more than worth playing once.

I wonder if there is some way to get a screen saver of Mushroom World? Loved the graphics.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Dec 21, 09 6:36 AM
DO NOT ALLOW CHILDREN TO PLAY THIS GAME are my very first thoughts. They are impressionable and will not understand a lot of the blastemous humor in the game and the mockery of various religions and beliefs from Christiantiy, Scientology, Witchcraft, Evolutionist, Druids etc. It would be very confusing for them.

Pros - The humor in the characters was great - some hysterically funny. The various graphics and time elements (although not always historically correct) was good for entertainment, which is why I purchase a game. I loved popping back and forth in time. Most of the items to find and games have been reasonably but not overwhelmingly challenging. Unlimited hints is great even though I rarely have had to use them so far. Except for certain areas I'm really enjoying the game for the fun element, characters and creatures alike and the dino is marvelous.

Cons - the creators were either extremely ignorant of history, various religious beliefs or simply thought it would be funny to poke fun at the various faiths and beliefs of others. I didn't find this part of the game amusing and feel it was totally and absolutely unnecessary - they had a great idea going, which I would like to see developed more in another game.

Not being able to save the game at any point was difficult, especially if you could not stay awake any longer and were in the middle of solving a puzzle.

There was some talk in the forum about the massage - that is a matter of perception. He was not nude and major parts were covered and you were not asked to massage anything unseemly. I've seen worse and more in some of the cartoon characters today and in commercials. In that time period massages would have been accepted practice - just like some of the nude statutes. But label it for adults and not children as the massage was not something for that age group.

Edited on 12/21/2009 at 6:39:10 AM PST

Go to: