123phool
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

Re:Post your Midnight Castle (Android) Technical Issues Here Only!

[Post New]by 123phool on Mar 15, 17 3:35 AM
All is good. Everything is restored now. Once the DQ clock wound down, everything worked.

bfgBellerophon
7,503 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Mar 15, 17 1:34 PM
Hi 123phool,

Thank you for taking the time to post what you are experiencing with your game as well as letting us know that things are up and running as they should. If players experience issues that aren't resolved by going to the Midnight Castle Help pages, please reach out to our Midnight Castle Support Team with your player ID and details of the issue. The support team has the tools to further assist. Just in case it's needed, I'll include help page below on how to obtain your player ID:

What is an in-game ID?

Thank you for your patience. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM any of the Active Moderators. We are always happy to help in any way that we can.

bfgBellerophon

[Post New]by Amethyst2066 on Mar 17, 17 6:42 PM
Game played on Kindle:
I see that the game resetting and making one loose progress still isn't fixed.
Have tried every trick in the book but it still isn't fixed. Observation: While it can happen when only playing HOS, it doesn't happen regularly. It gets worse when I play the character quests. What have I learned? Don't try to complete the quests in 1 play. Only complete a few, do some HOS's and quit the game; go back in and repeat. While this seems to work, it doesn't always. I don't know what else there is to do and this has become frustrating. We need a program update that fixes this issue, not a blame the user's device answer. It isn't the device, it is a line of code someplace that needs fixing.

Rebecca_47
Minnow
Minnow
239 Posts

[Post New]by Rebecca_47 on Mar 18, 17 6:48 PM
TO ALL THE MODERATORS. THANK YOU FOR THE JOBS YOU ARE DOING. I am sure at times you get as frustrated as we, the players, do. Problems seem to grow and "tempers" flare at times. At the far end of life I see the insurmountable task of game playing and programming. As a young twenty year old I sat proudly with one of the first "programmable" desktop commuters - it ran on paper tape programs. In my thirties I tried some "game programming" with a very user friendly Apple. Now in my 70s I can understand the problems programmers would and do encounter. First there is the complexity that a game must incorporate to keep players attentions and then the cross platforms that users have. The operating systems problem must be a nightmare alone. Then comes the various differences between each company. THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US GOING ALL THESE YEARS.
REBA RUNESTONE

bfgIlinalta
1,613 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Mar 19, 17 3:07 PM
Hello Rebecca_47 and Amethyst2066,

Thank you for your patience while waiting on a response. It looks like there is an issue here I can provide some follow up on as well, so I'm going to do my best to provide some further help if necessary.

Before I continue, thank you Rebecca_47 for your kind words. The Forum Moderation Team appreciates your feedback and kind words. I also would like to just quickly remind that this particular thread is designated for technical issues found in the Android version of Midnight Castle and should be focused on reporting those issues or discussing them further. Thank you for understanding and following that request going forward.

Amethyst2066, I'm sorry to hear that the game seems to crash or lose progress while playing. Those are some interesting suggestions and I'm glad that those seem to help sometimes. I also absolutely understand wanting to get this particular issue resolved and wanted to ask if you'd be willing to provide some information to aid in the investigation of issues such as this. It would help out the appropriate teams if you'd be willing to contact our Midnight Castle Support Team with your in-game Friend Code (FC or User ID), the model of device the issue is being seen on, and what operating system the issue is being seen on. Our Reps will absolutely provide this information to the right teams if they are unable to provide some additional troubleshooting to try to resolve the issue.

If you've already contacted our Support Team with that information, thank you very much. That information can be pivotal in determining why only some players are being affected by issues such as this and hopefully it will be resolved sooner rather than later. If there are updates provided for the game, the Forum Moderation Team will be certain to provide an announcement for those updates. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you as well for your patience. Don't hesitate to PM me or any of our other active Moderators if there are more questions. We are all happy to listen and help out as best we can.

bfgIlinalta

Rebecca_47
Minnow
Minnow
239 Posts

[Post New]by Rebecca_47 on Mar 19, 17 6:11 PM
bfgllinalta, I do play on the android platform. Currently I am playing on both my kindles. And like everyone else I experience the shut downs and loss of progress. But unlike some who seem to hold the moderators accountable, I understand. I have had a high level game wiped out in the middle of a castle challenge and not been able to "earn" two of the avatars. I was hoping to give you, the moderators, encouraging words to keep passing our problems to the programmers and sending their words back to us. Often just as I am ready to post a problem, you answer what I'm having problems with or just remind me to go directly to them with what is happening.

bfgBellerophon
7,503 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Mar 20, 17 7:27 AM
Hi Rebecca_47,

I wanted to pop in here and once again thank you for your words of understanding. We will continue to advocate for the players and pass along any information that is presented to us in the forums. If technical issues are present and the Midnight Castle Help pages don't help resolve the issue, it is highly recommended to reach out to our Midnight Castle Support Team. Please provide your player ID as well as details of the issue. If you find that items are missing from your game, please provide that information to the team. The support team is always willing to help in any way that they can. Just in case it's needed, I'll include below a help page on how to obtain your player ID:

What is an in-game ID?

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We greatly appreciate it. If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of the Active Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Rebecca_47
Minnow
Minnow
239 Posts

[Post New]by Rebecca_47 on Mar 24, 17 10:51 PM
I have been having problems progressing from 74 to 76. It seems when I get part way thru one of the Gretel "stories",@ level 75, the profits gram kicks me out and reboots plus all forward movement is lost. I haven't checked to see if any inventory is missing because most of it is using new zz etc. Doesn't appear that any coins are lost. This is third day in a row this has happened. So far I just give up and shut it down. One way to stretch the new addition which I had planned on doing but wanted to see what story book would look like. Got to the unicorn to day. Anyone else having this problem?

[Post New]by Oredraven on Mar 25, 17 12:53 PM
Like others, I'm having crashes in MC and wanted to share info, as I have an idea what the problem may be. I'm not a programmer, just have 20+ years playing online games. I'm basing this on past experience with similar issues.

If a mod can send this to the proper place or tell me where to send it, please do.

I think there may be a memory leak in the MC program.

I was playing on a Kindle Fire HDX during the Christmas event without problems, though I know others were having trouble then. I then took a break.

I just returned, still playing on Kindle Fire HDX, with up-to-date system, latest version of MC (3/14), and stable WiFi. I began having frequent crashes. These weren't disconnects, with the game freezing before giving a "cannot connect to server." They were crashes in a HOS where my device would reboot then restart MC. They were occurring every 5'th-10'th HOS, average about the 7'th. To avoid this, I'd have to force close MC, clear cache, and restart. Then I could play another 6'ish HOS's, and have to repeat, or risk a crash and lost progress. Rather annoying.

I had my account moved to a Kindle Fire HD 10. The same problem occurred on the new device with a couple differences. On that device, there is no reboot with crash; It goes to homescreen, because HD 10 handles memory differently. Also, on that device I can play 8-15 HOS's before crash, averaging 10. I think this is due to higher RAM.

I also noticed that right after a crash, my WiFi shows low bars, but immediately goes back up. I don't think it's a real connection problem causing a crash, but a flood of info overwhelming RAM and slowing other system processes.

I think the problem is: Bug in MC code is making it keep too much info in RAM. It overwhelms system and causes crash. This interferes with system processes like WiFi, slows whole system; Everything is laggy after a crash. The less RAM a device has, the faster it crashes. Phone faster than old Kindle. Old Kindle faster than new one. That's why some people crash and some don't, some fast and some less.

Hope this makes sense and helps - Thanks much! - Xaida

[Post New]by Oredraven on Mar 26, 17 7:03 PM
Update:

A new MC experience supports my theory about a memory leak in the program.

I'm near the end of the new "storybook" quest and several of my questgivers turned into the repeating type that give Keys of Eternity. I added a couple of these to my quests and crashed. Added a couple more and crashed. Once I had them all added I kept crashing much more frequently than I had before adding them. My whole game was running slow, pausing before giving rewards, etc. I eventually cleared most of the quests and now my crashes have gone back down to happening with about the same frequency they were before I added the extra quests.

This suggests that when the device has more things to keep track of, and is thus using more RAM, the RAM gets "overwhelmed" faster.

Think of it like a "To-do list."

MC may have a To-do list that says something like:

Start MC
Check Connection
Check account info ("saved game")
Load last area
Load saved quests
Load inventory

Quests and inventory stay in memory while you're playing, so that uses a certain amount of RAM.

But moving down the "To-do list":

Say you move from Castle Vicinity into Tavern and do an HOS

Load Tavern
Load Bar Counter HOS (graphics, items, etc.)
Do Bar Counter HOS (actually playing it, so it's keeping track of what you have collected, what's left to collect, etc.)
Give reward
Unload Bar Counter HOS

I think what's happening is the game is not doing the "unload" and is keeping each HOS's info (graphics, items, etc) in RAM. So you do a few, the RAM gets full of data, and you crash.

When I added more quests I was using more "base" RAM and had less left for the non-unloading HOS data to "fill up," so I started crashing faster.

[UPDATE: I've sent this to tech support and hopefully it will get to the programmers.]

Edited on 03/26/2017 at 7:43:16 PM PST

Rebecca_47
Minnow
Minnow
239 Posts

[Post New]by Rebecca_47 on Mar 26, 17 9:09 PM
Oreraven I think you have good points. I am playing on two different Kindles.

One is an old 7" that is not HDX. And all I have on it is MC. I am currently working toward level 76 and have over 100 friends ,30+ are actively friending me. I gift during event to as many as I can.

The other is an 8.5 HDX but also has my books, etc. I am trying to get the first area done. On it and then collect friends to help out with during events.

I'm experiencing an odd problem where wether reading or gaming it will suddenly go black. Tapping or tipping it will return it to where it when reading but when gaming it often will kick me out but not reboot.

kthreads
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by kthreads on Mar 27, 17 6:10 AM
I thought with this last update the Kindle crashing problems would be fixed or at least better. I'm still having problems and I see others have posted that they too are still having problems.
This morning I lost progress after completing 6 of the 10 tasks for a 10 part daily quest. I also lost all my gifts from friends. I wasn't able to complete the Christmas Event because of constant crashing and loss of progress. What's it going to be like with the upcoming Spring Event? How many times will I have to do a clear cache and force close while playing? As it is, I try to do so every 5 or so HOSs I finish. I shouldn't have to constantly close out my game while playing in the "hope" that I won't lose my progress.
And getting help from CS takes a very long time because they are so inundated with help requests. I've about had it. It is way too frustrating.

bfgBellerophon
7,503 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Mar 27, 17 12:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

The Moderation Team greatly appreciates player's patience when technical issues are experienced within their games. We will continue to advocate for the players and pass along the contents of this thread to the Midnight Castle teams for investigation. If any information is brought to our attention, we will update the forums to inform the players.

In regards to the crashing issues mentioned in this thread, it is highly recommended to refer to the following Big Fish Games Help page:

Midnight Castle Technical Issues Page

If the issues continue to be present after trying the suggested troubleshooting steps above, please reach out to our Midnight Castle Support Team with your player ID, device information, and details of the issue. Just in case it's needed, I'll include a help page below on how to obtain your player ID:

What is an in-game ID?

The support team has the tools to provide this pertinent information to the appropriate Midnight Castle teams. We greatly appreciate everyone's patience as the Support Team works hard to respond to everyone's inquiries as soon as possible. If you find that your issue hasn't been resolved, please continue to respond to any emails received so that a representative can continue to assist.

Thank you once again for your patience and understanding. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me or any of the Active Moderators. We are happy to help in any way that we can.

bfgBellerophon

Go to: