Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: The House on Black River Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Mar 17, 16 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 03/17/2016 at 5:05:44 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: The House on Black River Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Mar 17, 16 5:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Fear for Sale: The House on Black River Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Fear for Sale: The House on Black River Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: The House on Black River Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Mar 17, 16 11:40 AM
After playing the main game I will say that this IMO is the best game that the developer has put out in a while. Good graphics, voice overs are smooth and appropriate, very pleasant music in the HOS, sad and soulful but not obtrusive. Can't comment on the puzzles as I am a skipper. Didn't get all the collectibles and morphs on the first run through but then, I never do. Looking forward to the bonus to see what is in store for us there. Good replay value which is always a plus for me. Not mind bending difficult but a very enjoyable game.

Edited for grammar.

Played the bonus and I'm still a happy camper.

Edited on 03/17/2016 at 4:32:05 PM PST

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: The House on Black River Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by divaprods on Mar 17, 16 11:58 AM
This has an interesting story but the graphics are annoying. They seem flat and amateurish, not up to the quality I am used to. I am going to skip this.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Mar 17, 16 5:03 PM
Oh my, another storyline with something sinister happening in the past that releases malevolent ghosts. The ghosts are now wrecking havoc with the current generation. Bring on the runes & track down those ghosties!!

Same old rehashed storyline with the same old flat, dreary blue amateurish graphics. How many times do I have to ask that someone buy the graphics people a new box of crayons???

Music is dreadful, characters are wooden & one dimensional. Mouth movements are all over the place.

HOGS are interactive & somewhat interesting. The puzzles are varied with some that are very easy & the others are so so.

Just can't seem to garner any enthusiasm for this run of the mill game.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Mar 17, 16 6:52 PM
I agree that this game has a very common storyline and wooden, one dimensional characters with lip movements that don't sync with the voiceovers. There are also the tasks that we have done so many times before, including feeding the mean, hungry dog and finding the missing zipper pull.

I do like that there isn't any gadget or helper animal to aid in our investigation, just good old-fashioned investigating. There is an interesting twist to the storyline that I hope to be able to explore in the future. This game will probably be a buy when BFG offers a sale for Game Club Members.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Mar 17, 16 11:04 PM
This game was too dark (literally) and just bored me. No sale.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 18, 16 6:33 AM
I'm a fan of this developer and have always enjoyed the Fear For Sale games. When you think back to the early ones, they have come a very long way in terms of quality and this game is no exception.

Really liked the story and I thought the colours were quite bright and well done. Very good variety of puzzles that didn't solve themselves in two or three moves. And my favourite thing of all with this developer is those wonderfully shaped jigsaw puzzle pieces they use for the alternative to HOS; I always do the puzzles and never play the HOS. Love them

Plenty of collectibles, a map that transports, customisable play and no gimmicks or helpers. As abarrett says, just old fashioned investigating! Perhaps the characters could be a little more interesting but this is a game, not a movie so I don't expect too much. Seems to me that some people are never happy with any game......

Of course no game is perfect and yet again you have to find a zipper pull For heavens sake, could developers PLEASE stop using this in every game. The next time I see it, I don't care how good the demo is, it will be a no-buy

Otherwise I enjoyed this demo very much, so I bought the game But this had better be the last zipper pull I have to find......or else

No technical issues with the demo on a decrepit desktop PC running ancient Win7 Prof 64-bit

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fear for Sale: The House on Black River Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Mar 18, 16 8:53 AM
nontechiegrannie wrote:Oh my, another storyline with something sinister happening in the past that releases malevolent ghosts. The ghosts are now wrecking havoc with the current generation. Bring on the runes & track down those ghosties!!

Same old rehashed storyline with the same old flat, dreary blue amateurish graphics. How many times do I have to ask that someone buy the graphics people a new box of crayons???

Music is dreadful, characters are wooden & one dimensional. Mouth movements are all over the place.

HOGS are interactive & somewhat interesting. The puzzles are varied with some that are very easy & the others are so so.

Just can't seem to garner any enthusiasm for this run of the mill game.

Same here. And way too linear for my taste.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Mar 19, 16 8:54 AM
I agree with the reviews that say this game is the "same ole, same ole", but somehow it suckered me in anyway! I have a few complaints (of course)!! In a few of the HOS, the HO was SO hidden, it was actually partly off my monitor. And I have a big screen. Also, what is with the press pass ( or as I started to call it, the "pest pass" jumping out across the screen every five seconds? I didn't read where anybody else had this problem, so I guess it's just me, but how annoying. Over all, I did enjoy the game, played the bonus game, liked that there was a "normal"setting of play, not just a casual to MIT expert catagory of play!! So all in all, not bad. And by the way, I also am tired of finding zipper pulls!! I never saw so many broken zippers in my life!

feenix

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 19, 16 3:56 PM
Hi friends! Wow, I think this is the 9th in this series...will it never end? No, I don't have them all. As always, I review on the game play and not usually on the story. The graphics were very nice in this one. Animation is well done. Colors...well, again we have the blues and purples, which are very tiring on the eyes. They did seem to clear up a little as the game progressed. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and the scenes fit my large screen very well. Voice overs were okay, but our heroine's voice did get a little grating at times. It was almost too high a pitch. Music was the same as all the others, but I turn it way down for background noise more than anything else.

HOPs weren't too bad. They were fairly clean and items were not hard to find. There was some variation, but not a lot. Puzzles were quite simple and took no time to complete. I like the way they set up their maps, very easy to follow and each area is identified with name and a picture. There is no transport in this series, and you do a lot of back tracking. SG is the usual and standard, which I only use to make sure I get the collectibles.

There are a lot of collectibles in this series, which I do like. We need to collect 6 each of items belonging to an artist, journalist, family heirlooms, little girl and ignorance and flames (not sure what that is, since I haven't found one yet). They don't jump off the page at you and can be anywhere. This is somewhat of a challenge. The other challenge is finding the morphing objects, a they morph fairly quickly. So far, I have found one collectible and one morphing object in each scene.

I beta tested this one back in November. Took long enough for it to come out. It tested much better then, so I'm not sure after this much time, what they did to change it. I like this series and I like the collectibles, but I'm just not sure this one is CE worthy. Maybe a really good special will change my mind. I think most all levels of players will enjoy this one in any form. Yes, I will get it, but I'm not sure if it will be the CE version.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by redlud on Mar 22, 16 1:27 PM
froze in the chapel. can get in and out but nothing happens otherwise

honeybun3403
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by honeybun3403 on Jun 4, 16 10:17 PM
Nice try BG! I've already played this one. What gives?

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jun 6, 16 6:38 PM
If you're looking for a ghost game that's not terribly gruesome, has excellent artwork, and is long--this is for you. Sometimes I'm turned off by excessively gory games, but this one isn't like that. I'd say it's a safe one for tweens and teens without worrying about causing nightmares or other issues. The music is good too. Lots of bang for your buck--though having said that I wish it was just a bit scary--nothing in this game has been very scary to me, but then again I'd rather have it a little less scaring than too disturbing.

Go to: