SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Slightly clunky play action but good game otherwise

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Mar 17, 16 1:26 PM
I'm not usually a HOG or HOPA fan but decided to get out of my comfort zone since I'm going through a bit of game burnout of late. I stumbled across this game when someone put up a thread saying they were stuck on a jewel board. Anyway, I'm not sure why it's gotten panned so much. The object of the game is more about puzzle solving than doing HOS or M3 boards, and you do need to think a bit to solve the puzzles, but I like having strategy in my games.

I've only gotten to the second region (Indus Valley) as of now, but have enjoyed what I've seen so far. Yes, the HOS are crowded with background details, so the objects in your list can really blend into the pictures. I don't see all that well so this was the hardest part of the game for me. It's a good thing you can get more hints for finding the lion coins. If you have the custom cursor on you need to make sure it's pointed directly at a smaller item before it will pick up. The M3 boards weren't that much a challenge to me and you can buy powerups with the jewels you find in the HOS. I did find the M3 play action sort of clunky because even though you can make moves all the time I often found myself going faster than the game was, so had to make some matches twice before it would count. There was also some clunkiness with rotating pieces in some of the puzzles (doesn't always register the double click).

I suppose the game won't appeal to those who habitually skip most/all puzzles in HOGs, don't like to read a storyline (many clues for the puzzles are in the characters' journal entries) or haven't played the Jewel Quest M3s enough to understand all the secrets of the M3 boards, but IMO the mostly negative reviews are undeserved. It's a fun game if you're willing to take your time playing it. I see myself getting many hours out of this one.

Go to: