bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Virtual City comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 21, 09 12:12 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

Re:Virtual City comments and reviews

[Post New]by talisman018 on Dec 21, 09 1:05 AM
Hi!

I have given the free 1 hour trial a shot and after only 40 minutes, I bought the game. I like building-type games and this one is fairly close to what I'm looking for ("SimCity Creator" available for the Nintendo DS).

"Virtual City" is a Time Management (TM) game where you are given a set of tasks to fulfill to the best of your ability, enabling you to advance through the game and get more buildings, vehicles, and miscellaneous things (like fountains) for you to add to your towns. You also need to increase your population by creating homes and a nice place for your little people to live and work.

In the tutorial mode (which I recommend doing before anything else), you are walked through all the different tasks, one by one, until the game starts letting you find your own way of doing things. There are set ways of most things, but the order in which you do them (and increase your bank roll) is more or less up to you. You can't complete a level until you have finished all your tasks, and if you're a speed demon, you can pick up some extra points for completing the list quickly.

Not everything is explained well and it might take a little trial and error to get a task done, but once you've got the hang of it, it's not too bad at all.

Most of the game revolves around getting things from one place to another. As an example, to get the pies to the supermarket, first you need to get your trucks to deliver milk and grain from the dairy and the mill to the bakery. Once the pies are done, you then send trucks to take them to the stores. There's not really a lot of building, at least in the tutorial, but I assume that comes later. Another thing that you need to take into account in what you build is the environment. Cheaper buildings cost less, produce less, and wreck the environment. Upgrade your buildings often to get more out of them and improve the living area for everyone. (And don't forget to take out the garbage! )

There seems to also be a kind of Free Mode, where you can take a bunch of money and start building whatever you like. But don't take my word on that, as I haven't actually tried the "Sandbox" mode yet.

If you like games where building is your thing, and you like games like "Be A King", then this is more or less the same sort of fare.

Have fun!!

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 21, 09 1:55 AM
YUCK !!!!

gellyitaly
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by gellyitaly on Dec 21, 09 2:02 AM
thank you talisman for such a great review- I love build a lot games so after reading your review I think I will try it!

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Dec 21, 09 3:38 AM
Sounds great so I started the free trial but...

Got to level 5 of the tutorial where I have to set up a trade with a nearby community - told to do that but no instructions on how.

Have downloaded and retried and got to the same point.

If you can't get passed the tutorial without a glitch there is something wrong,

More money saved.

[Post New]by bramallblade on Dec 21, 09 4:47 AM
I am the tutorial as well and i am also stuck on the trade with a neighbouring city. My trucks have been there for ages but not returned. On the truck menu it says they are loading but surely it can't take this long. It has been 15 minutes waiting and to be frank i am getting bored of the waiting! This is a good game but this is ruining my experience so far. Haven't purchased yet and i am now in two minds as to whether to do so or not.

sgg1
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by sgg1 on Dec 21, 09 4:55 AM
You have to send one truck to the neighboring city, then a second truck from the neighboring city to the mall.

meyer55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by meyer55 on Dec 21, 09 6:41 AM
I'm having the same problem with the neighboring city. Can you tell me how to send one truck to the city and one to the mall? I clicked on the truck and then on the city sign and then on the mall. Does this not make the truck come back to the mall? My trucks (I have five on the road!) just disappear and never come back. This looks like a fun game but I can't get past the tutorial! Thanks!

meyer55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by meyer55 on Dec 21, 09 6:50 AM
OK - I figured it out. I was trying to click on the neighboring city sign first. So I used one truck to pick up the pies FIRST and take to the city and then another to go to the city for the cosmetics and then back to the mall. Sorry to be so dense!

[Post New]by Axelina on Dec 21, 09 8:20 AM
I'm in Montana and the Deer Lodge and I can't reach the goal: income 3500. I've reached 2700 but then it went down to 1400. I've upgraded every one of my buildings and veichles. Help me please.

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Dec 21, 09 9:32 AM
I tried this game on another site a few days ago and had same problems as BertiePuppy and others. I see where some of you have figured it out but if it is this difficult during tutorial FORGET IT. Old Bay: Did you like my caps? LOL

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 21, 09 10:09 AM
laeddie wrote:I tried this game on another site a few days ago and had same problems as BertiePuppy and others. I see where some of you have figured it out but if it is this difficult during tutorial FORGET IT. Old Bay: Did you like my caps? LOL
MERRY CHRISTMAS , LAEDDIE.. I'm Watching !!!

ilove2sew
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by ilove2sew on Dec 21, 09 10:25 AM
Thank you very much talisman018 for your well thought out comment and review.

I love TM games, they are my favorite

I would have tried this game in any case, but I will do so with a lot more confidence now based on your comments.

I'm really happy with your comparison to the NDS game, which gives me a point of reference.

I appreciate your input very much.

Great review.

Ila in Maine

diannb
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by diannb on Dec 21, 09 12:16 PM
This and Build It: Miami Beach Resort are my first build-it games and I'm really enjoying both. Up to this point I have found the build games too confusing and difficult to figure out. These two are definitely a challenge but not beyond the comprehension level of a lot of players (like ME)!

VC is definitely a challenge but it's exhilirating when you finally figure it out and win the level This game should provide many, many hours (if not months!) of fun. Thanks BFG for gettng this. I couldn't even wait for my monthly coupon on the 26th to get it.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Dec 21, 09 12:43 PM
Talisman said it all!! So, I will just add a few 2-cents worth.

This game is a different twist on the TM building games. Rather than focusing on building structures (and there is some of that), it seems like the main task is to delivery objects and map out a course for your trucks. While the tutitoral starts off great, you will have to figure out some of the movement as you go along. However, this is not difficult to do. You have the option to earn "expert" and other modes. If you don't achieve expert, you can replay that level.

As you progress through the game, you can upgrade your production buildings and your trucks. Also, throughout the game, you're asked to upgrade houses, improve your environment rating, pick up trash, and repair buildings, houses and trucks.

I really like the challenge of mapping out your course. For those of us who might be "map challenged," this is good way for us to practice our mapping skills - .

I give this game my approval, not just for the graphics, but for providing us with another TM game that is different, and I believe will have great challenge and replay value. . One of my NovemberFest credits will go towards the purchase of this game. Yeah!!!

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Dec 21, 09 12:50 PM
I must be dense as I simply cannot work out how to get to the neighbouring centre.

If this is a tuturial - i.e. where they teach you how to do things - it should be telling me what to do but it doesn't.

For those of you who have worked it out please post a step by step guide as the tutorial fails to do that and thus doesn't actually qualify as a tutorial.

meyer55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by meyer55 on Dec 21, 09 1:20 PM
I had a hard time with that too. Buy a truck and pick up the pies FIRST and then click on the neighboring city sign to send them. When that truck comes back, buy another truck and click on the neighboring city sign and then click on the mall. That will take the cosmetics from the city to the mall.

meyer55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by meyer55 on Dec 21, 09 1:22 PM
Level 9 help, please
Can someone tell me how to repair the tunnel in Level 9? Thanks!

[Post New]by xstitchcarina on Dec 21, 09 2:03 PM
I think you need enough money to be able to fix the tunnel. I just got to that level too, and my 1 hour was over. Haven't bought it yet, not sure if I will.

I couldn't remember how to get rid of the trees though, you need a lot more space to build all those buildings there.

Any help here, please?

Thanks.

meyer55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by meyer55 on Dec 21, 09 2:20 PM
To get rid of the trees, go to build and use the bulldozer. I'll go back in and see if more money helps but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has finished the level. I like the game but the tutorial is pretty weak!

Go to: