bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Agatha Christie: Dead Man's Folly

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 26, 09 12:05 AM
As a guest at the beautiful Nasse House, you are invited to take part in a thrilling mock-murder game. While visitors follow clues to find the killer, those in charge find themselves with a rising sense of uncertainty. Join famed detective Hercule Poirot as you discover that this charade could be the perfect disguise for a despicable scheme! Find hidden clues, decode messages and solve puzzles to unravel a story of deception, secrets and a fatal end in Agatha Christie: Dead Man’s Folly.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Agatha Christie: Dead Man's Folly

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 26, 09 1:07 AM
One comment: no relaxed mode...

Mookhebbe
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,213 Posts

[Post New]by Mookhebbe on Dec 26, 09 1:17 AM
And again, like yesterdays game, another game I have already played weeks ago. Somehow I've had hoped that Xmas BF releases would be some more special on these special days. Not old releases.

But it is a nice game, entertained me for an hour, but didn't convinced me enough for buying.

nameplater
Stingray
Stingray
4,776 Posts

[Post New]by nameplater on Dec 26, 09 1:47 AM
Just played the hour demo. Nice clear graphics which is good because some of the items are very small.
No relaxed mode--penalty for too much random clicking.
Seemed to be only 3 hints per chapter which for those with good eye sight will be plenty.
Story seemed slow and not too exciting--at least in the hour I played.
Bottom deal breaker for me was the no timer option. Will pass on this one.

stupidanacrox
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by stupidanacrox on Dec 26, 09 1:59 AM
Mookhebbe wrote:And again, like yesterdays game, another game I have already played weeks ago. Somehow I've had hoped that Xmas BF releases would be some more special on these special days. Not old releases. .

same here. But it's a good game i really like it.

nameplater
Stingray
Stingray
4,776 Posts

[Post New]by nameplater on Dec 26, 09 1:59 AM
Oh I forgot to say that the football in the scenes is a soccer ball to those of us stateside. I had to use a hint to learn that. lol

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 26, 09 2:17 AM
I tried the demo on the other site and found this to be a real snoozer. I loved Death on the Nile and Peril at End House but unless I am misremembering they had a lot more Interactive stuff. For sure Death on the Nile did. This is pretty much a straight up H. O. with a lot of repetition and I literally started falling asleep. Definitely a pass here.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Dec 26, 09 2:27 AM
It's a pass for me. Tiny objects, slow Hints, Timed play, All of these put the slow and myopic (I am both) out of this game. Too bad. I might havr rnjoyed this game if I could see the items I seek.

[Post New]by ILoveLucyRicardo on Dec 26, 09 3:44 AM
Thank you all for your reviews...they are very helpful...especially when more than one of you mentioned that this game does not have a relaxed mode. I will not bother to demo it since I really prefer the relaxed mode.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 26, 09 3:46 AM
I've played this before too. It's pretty much a straight HOG that you'd play for the story.

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Dec 26, 09 3:47 AM
BORING! I'm also having a problem with the hint button. I click on it and get a magnify glass but nothing happens when i look around with it. Does anyone know why?

[Post New]by sweetpops58 on Dec 26, 09 4:57 AM
yasure wrote:BORING! I'm also having a problem with the hint button. I click on it and get a magnify glass but nothing happens when i look around with it. Does anyone know why?

Hi Yasure,

After you have clicked on the hint button, take the magnifying glass and click the object on the list that you want to find, hope this helps.

I did the beta for this game and it isn't so bad. Kind of average, it's one of those games I'd keep until there was nothing else to play. Straightforward hog with mini games. Thing that stands out for me is that once you have completed the game, it opens up a bonus mode, Find All, which I rather like. I think there are 15 chapters with around 3 levels each, don't quote me on that though, so maybe overall length to complete is around 3 hours or a little more. There is no relaxed mode but this game gives you a generous 25 minutes to complete each level.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 26, 09 5:00 AM
I have enjoyed my trial time, but I don`t like the fact that the game has a timer, only 3 hints per level and many clues are very tiny and very hard to see. I have bought the precious Agatha Games (Hogs) and liked them much more, because they were much more interactive.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Dec 26, 09 5:16 AM
No relaxed mode is all I need to know to take a pass. Thanks, Rebecca.

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Dec 26, 09 5:22 AM
sweetpops58 wrote:
yasure wrote:BORING! I'm also having a problem with the hint button. I click on it and get a magnify glass but nothing happens when i look around with it. Does anyone know why?

Hi Yasure,

After you have clicked on the hint button, take the magnifying glass and click the object on the list that you want to find, hope this helps.

I did the beta for this game and it isn't so bad. Kind of average, it's one of those games I'd keep until there was nothing else to play. Straightforward hog with mini games. Thing that stands out for me is that once you have completed the game, it opens up a bonus mode, Find All, which I rather like. I think there are 15 chapters with around 3 levels each, don't quote me on that though, so maybe overall length to complete is around 3 hours or a little more. There is no relaxed mode but this game gives you a generous 25 minutes to complete each level.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

[Post New]by sjsullivan on Dec 26, 09 5:54 AM
I am unable to get all teacuos onto the tray in the tent. I got 4 and the fifth one won't release onto tray no matter how many ways I click it. Is this a glick in the game? Any ideas?

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Dec 26, 09 6:45 AM
It's true there is no relaxed mode, but I find there is plenty of time to complete each chapter, for me.

The teacups did prove to be a bit challenging, but I found the teacup under the chair would not go in until I had the others in place already.

One CAN earn more hints, simply by clicking three or more objects in a row. I found three, then clicked on them all right after the other and earned a hint. I THINK I did this with four in a row and earned two hints. At one point I had 8 hints waiting. So yes, you can earn more hints.

Hope this helps anyone with those questions.

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Dec 26, 09 7:26 AM
I enjoyed this game and was surprised when the demo hour was up - a must buy for me if I can run out the demo and not be aware of time passing. The graphics are clear and the story line interesting. I like the idea of playing "a game within a game" by going on the murder hunt and finding clues for it while still playing the main game. The hints start with three per level, but recharge as you go. You can also earn extra hints by finding several items quickly one after another. I haven't needed very many of them and most objects were fairly quick to find, some I had to look for, but there was no pixel hunting. I didn't notice any problems with penalties for random clicking, and I played the entire demo with one of my cats lying on the desk and randomly pouncing the mouse - causing extra clicks at times! The timer is 25 minutes per chapter of the game, and I played in a very relaxed manner with no hurrying - still ending up with plenty of time left on the clock, so it didn't feel like a timed game to me. The background music is nice and fit right in with the game - one of the few where I don't turn off the music.

Edit: I was only on chapter 4, partway through, when the demo hour ran out. So a fairly decent time for gameplay. One other thing - items are in the same places each time, so not alot of replayability with it. Unless you're forgetful like me!

Edited on 12/26/2009 at 7:27:54 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 26, 09 8:01 AM
Big disappointment for me as I still love the first 2, Nile and End House. Couldn't wait so I jumped on the full version of this on another site before BF got it. Items way to small for me slowing me down, not for 15" monitor or laptop. NO TIME OPTION NO SALE altho timer wasn't a problem on first 2 ACs, maybe only had to replay a few rooms on those but I could see the objects.

3 hints for 5 locations on a timer too stressful. Hard enough to find some items much less 3 for a hint. Those cups on a tray timed me out, maddening altho I found them all, had to replay. I too couldn't figure how to use the mag glass. must have forgot instructions if there were any. I left the game halfway through, then next day when resumed I got bored and just fed up and uninstalled it. Bummer. .

ETA 25 min for 5 locations i.e. 5 minutes per. I just don't perform well under pressure, good luck to you who want to try.

Edited on 12/26/2009 at 8:10:05 AM PST

thecatspjs
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by thecatspjs on Dec 26, 09 8:47 AM
I bought this game from another site some time ago, couldn't wait for BF to finally get it. I enjoyed all of the Agatha Christie HOGs, the artwork is beautiful and the scenes interesting and just difficult enough to be a challenge in finding objects. I found that I had plenty of time on the timer and plenty of hints. The only thing I didn't like about this game was that it told you where the objects were to be placed (the teacups, fireplace tools, etc.) rather than letting the player figure it out on their own.

Go to: