Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 2, 16 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/02/2016 at 6:44:21 AM PST

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Apr 2, 16 1:59 AM
Really enjoying this game. There's lots to do, with many collectibles and morphing objects. More of an adventure game. Been playing about 2 hours. Only played one HOP so far, which was highly interactive. This game is definitely a winner.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by rainworm on Apr 2, 16 4:34 AM
I played the beta of this game and even at that time I loved it and was waiting impatiently for its release.

So soon after the great one from Thursday another good CE!

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Apr 2, 16 6:45 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 2, 16 8:44 AM
I had 20 minutes of this demo left when I quit the game but I actually went off to do something else and left the game running for at least half that time. And that pretty much tells you that I wasn't impressed with it. To be totally honest, I was bored

The game fitted my w/s monitor automatically. The graphics seemed to suit the era, which I believe is the 50's. Journalist sent to investigate a 'strange murder' isn't anything new. Basic game-play involves picking up useful items that are strategically located in odd places; there were no actual HOS in the time I played. There might have been some puzzles but I've already forgotten them. Various things to collect and morphing objects to find, a map that transports and game-play is customisable.

All very nice but absolutely no spark of excitement to be found; everything seemed flat, uninteresting, dull and slightly predictable. And of course, just to make the game irritating as well as boring, I had to find a zipper-pull Developers really need to stop over-using this way of opening something.

Sorry but after the excellent 'Whispered Secrets', this game is a terrible let-down. Not even the SE could tempt me

ETA: I didn't say this game wasn't well done, I said I got bored with it. I am entitled to say so without veiled criticisms; however I am curious as to what it says about me and the others that got bored with it.

Edited on 04/04/2016 at 3:16:32 AM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by didersham on Apr 2, 16 2:12 PM
I loved the first New York Mysteries game! The 2nd was good, but this one to me does not hold up to the first two. I love the graphics! Some people might think it is old school, but to me it looks more realistic than the bright colors of some of the newer games. I found myself getting bored during game play. Bummer, I really wanted to like this game and was looking forward to playing it! The challenge in this game is not there for me and there was more adventure in the first two. Maybe, because I just finished playing some really good old school challenging games with adventure is why I feel this way. Give it a try and see what you think.

Edited on 04/02/2016 at 2:29:56 PM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by NancySusan on Apr 2, 16 2:51 PM
I'll start by agreeing that I also became bored, really bored, and I played for about an hour, always hoping I'd have something that looked New Yorkey to comment on, since that's where I live, but I never got there, going from one exterior unconnected to anywhere specific to a bunch of interiors that could have been any fantasy place in a large old house or an imaginary secret society headquarters. This game set in 1959 is so chock full of anomalies, that I started being turned off to it from the beginning: the widow is dressed with a 1920's cloche hat and a skirt length no one was wearing until the mid-60's. She returns from an open casket funeral in the rain (???) to her mansion and turns on an old, very old gramophone, rather than a modern record player, since by 1959 gramophones were considered antiques. Bizarre. There's black and yellow crime scene tape, which didn't exist in 1959. There is a very nice collapsible umbrella, didn't exist then either, we need to look for a remote control to open a bookcase (no remote controls in 1959). Meanwhile we have a spade which is called a shovel, and the graphics are sort of grainy and while the story-line, what there was of it, wasn't bad, I just felt my patience was fraying. There are three play categories, which (I used normal, middle play) you can customize some, but for middle difficulty the needless hand-holding was endless. I always like collectibles and there are 2 and morphing objects, and the map, if you want it to, will tell you if you've cleared a scene of them, but that still wasn't enough to keep me in this game. Not for me, but if you don't mind yet another game set in an era where there's not only no reason for it to be there, the actual details are all wrong, the story is kind of funnish, and the mini-games not difficult, this may be for you. Actually some people probably will like this a lot because there is a mystery, but I just couldn't remain any longer.

[Post New]by marijkee123 on Apr 2, 16 3:23 PM
I like this game. I do not understand why when somebody starts with a negative story, only negative reviews follow. Getting bored with a game does not tell something about the game but more about the people playing. This is not a boring game. It is well done.

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Apr 2, 16 5:59 PM
I'm still playing the game and I'm about 8 or 9 hours into it. I'm not even on to the bonus yet. Really enjoying it and it has a great challenge playing on Hard and I've turned the Hint and Skip off. My only snipe is that for the morphing objects and collectibles, a hand comes over them. I wish we could turn that off to make it more challenging. Other than that, there's lots of locations to explore with plenty to do. Oh and another snipe - I WISHED I LIVED IN NEW YORK!

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Apr 3, 16 11:08 PM
I really enjoy this series although I will admit that it is my least favorite thus far. I adore the graphics, the game-play, fantastic cut-scenes. What I have complaint with is the "dumbing-down" of finding collectibles (hardly fun when your cursor changes into a grabbing hand), the really simple puzzles, and a story line that kind of lost me (or lost itself along the way). Huzzah however for their great progressive HOS. I still highly recommend this game for its wonderful stylized production and flawless fluid game play, but unless you're a real fan of theirs (like me ) you might want to wait for the SE.
Happy gaming All!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Apr 14, 16 7:40 AM
I always like the New York Mysteries games. A big plus is that I can download them and play without any hassles or tech problems on Windows XP. I also like the multiple items you must find in the CE version. Great game series!

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by heleanthia on Apr 26, 16 4:15 PM
marijkee123 wrote:I like this game. I do not understand why when somebody starts with a negative story, only negative reviews follow. Getting bored with a game does not tell something about the game but more about the people playing. This is not a boring game. It is well done.

Here here.
This is a VERY well put together game!
It is more of an adventure light game than a straight HOG and THAT could be why the nay sayers.

I am SO pleased with this game!

I adore everything about the game; the subject matter interesting, the puzzles were fun, the, "hogs", made sense and interactivity within them was genius...
The graphics clear and the map easy to navigate.

Kudos , developers, more please!

Edited on 04/28/2016 at 5:30:00 PM PST

MaryLent
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by MaryLent on May 3, 16 6:18 PM
marijkee123 wrote:I like this game. I do not understand why when somebody starts with a negative story, only negative reviews follow. Getting bored with a game does not tell something about the game but more about the people playing. This is not a boring game. It is well done.

well said

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Sep 4, 16 7:02 PM
Playing this now via extended demo, it's a beefy, substantial game. No jumbles of hidden objects in plain view, instead, you're obliged to use your brain and make some sense out of things. I made myself keep off that "hint" button til it hurt and was gratified by my efforts. Tempting to get lazy with these games in order to just play through. Plenty of collectables, etc. to keep you searching.

It gets a little "debbie downer" to consistently read about good games that "bore" a lot of players. Why not take a break from games that "bore" you and then make a review?

Go to: