Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

Can someone explain the inventory issues?

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 5, 16 12:40 PM
I don't check here often, and don't want to wade through pages of posts regarding this, so I apologize if it has been discussed ad infinitum.

I don't understand the comments about the inventory being decreased since the last upgrade. Any info on this would be helpful, as I am not sure what to look for in my game. Thanks!

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

Re:Can someone explain the inventory issues?

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Apr 5, 16 12:52 PM
Prior to the January upgrade, when you entered an HOS, you were guaranteed to receive 1 HOS inventory item, x amount of coins based on where you were in leveling up that room, and one airship item.

You might also receive pet food or stamps or Gift for a Friend boxes, but that was an random optional item received.

At the January upgrade......you now might receive 1 item, OR 15 additional coins OR 1 shard....you are not guaranteed to receive that 1 HOS item....hence, a reduction in inventory.

Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 5, 16 12:56 PM
Ok. I've noticed that. I thought I had also read (likely wrongly), that we are only allowed so much inventory of certain items. Is that correct or am I dreaming that part?

Thanks!

deeziner
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
478 Posts

[Post New]by deeziner on Apr 5, 16 1:02 PM
If I may add....

The ramification of NOT receiving a guaranteed inventory item per HOS search is that players are robbed of an opportunity to decide whether to save that item for the future...OR...sell that item for coins which are often more than 15 per item...especially for higher level inventory....OR...feeling cheated by receiving a shard if they are not playing with shard goals (furniture and/or Trina Quests) as a target.

In other words...choice about inventory management is gone from the game and that may severely affect strategies.

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Astra02 on Apr 5, 16 1:35 PM
Yummah,

No, there is no technical upper limit for your inventory.

When you hear folks talking about being drained of their inventories, they are referring to the Destiny Key Quests (also called Blue Key Quests or "side quests") which appear at level 69 and again at 71 (I believe; not there yet). From what I understand, they are extremely inventory-depleting, and the game will require you to do at least 100 of them before you reach the end of the current update. (It is 100 Destiny Keys in total, yes?) There will also be four pets that you can obtain through those quests.

Astra

Edited on 04/05/2016 at 1:35:50 PM PST

Yummah
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Yummah on Apr 5, 16 1:42 PM
Ok, thank you, Astra. I am only at level 65, so hope that things will be different by the time I get to those higher levels.

Thanks everyone, for your input!

Edited on 04/05/2016 at 1:43:16 PM PST

Linalie
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by Linalie on Apr 5, 16 1:43 PM
Please keep in mind that people that started playing around the time of the January update, never had an "inventory" build up to miss...we've played the game the way the game is currently - some are okay with this and like the game and some...not so much.

The Destiny Key quests are a bane for those long time players trying to hold onto their inventory in the hope that item drops will return to the HOSs...the shorter time players seem to like the Destiny Key quests because we haven't got an inventory to lose and these quests provide a lot of coins etc. along with ZZ items that sell for a lot of coins.

So basically the face of the game has changed dramatically...and the long time players were not really warned of the change and are very unhappy because they liked the play style of building an inventory to use on quests or whatever they chose to use it on.

Some of us still love the game as is and others are on the verge of quitting.

~Linn

Edited on 04/05/2016 at 1:53:50 PM PST

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Apr 5, 16 3:44 PM
Linalie wrote:Please keep in mind that people that started playing around the time of the January update, never had an "inventory" build up to miss...we've played the game the way the game is currently - some are okay with this and like the game and some...not so much.

The Destiny Key quests are a bane for those long time players trying to hold onto their inventory in the hope that item drops will return to the HOSs...the shorter time players seem to like the Destiny Key quests because we haven't got an inventory to lose and these quests provide a lot of coins etc. along with ZZ items that sell for a lot of coins.

So basically the face of the game has changed dramatically...and the long time players were not really warned of the change and are very unhappy because they liked the play style of building an inventory to use on quests or whatever they chose to use it on.

Some of us still love the game as is and others are on the verge of quitting.

~Linn

Just a basic word of caution, as with any other inventory items. I would NOT sell those ZZ items, as sooner or later you may need them and find them harder to get than you think. My biggest mistake when I first started playing was selling stamps for coin. Big mistake.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Apr 5, 16 4:00 PM
Many are also doing the Side Quests and disenchanting the items and Destiny Keys....do the math people.....add up how many shards you can earn by not using that inventory....if you don't have the inventory....add up what it costs you for that Destiny key.....

I haven't looked to see what a Destiny Key goes for coin and shard wise......but I would wager it just doesn't equal that Pyramid of Numbers or Rainbow Stone you are asked to secure!

If I make any Destiny keys (and I will not make any until I am forced to do Side Quests to open the Ghostly chest) -- I certainly will not disenchant or sell them!!

Linalie
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by Linalie on Apr 5, 16 4:35 PM
Annelliegram wrote:Many are also doing the Side Quests and disenchanting the items and Destiny Keys....do the math people.....add up how many shards you can earn by not using that inventory....if you don't have the inventory....add up what it costs you for that Destiny key..... So...I have no inventory...so I do not have 3 Polestars siting around...I do a Destiny Key quest and it requires 3 Polestars and a Celestial Wanderer...so I do the quest, make 3 trips to the Belfry and a trip to the Medicine Cabinet, complete the quest and get the ZZ item, sell it or disenchant it. You are saying I should do what...keep the 3 Polestars and sit here with a quest and not complete it therefor not get any new quests from that character?
I haven't looked to see what a Destiny Key goes for coin and shard wise......but I would wager it just doesn't equal that Pyramid of Numbers or Rainbow Stone you are asked to secure!

If I make any Destiny keys (and I will not make any until I am forced to do Side Quests to open the Ghostly chest) -- I certainly will not disenchant or sell them!!

I'm not sure I understand where you are going with this Annelliegram... The only time it would make sense to pick up a quest and then get the items and not complete the quest would be the Gnome DQs since they reset...and I do this occasionally, especially if I know I will not complete all the parts before reset.

ETA: and why not sell/disenchant the extra Destiny Keys once you have all the new pets etc. Yes, hang onto some in case the next update needs them, but why hold onto a bunch of them? I'd sell or disenchant Trina's gold keys if that was an option!

Edited on 04/05/2016 at 4:40:56 PM PST

Linalie
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by Linalie on Apr 5, 16 4:52 PM
Here's another example: Annabel wants you to go and check out Ent's Mouth - and doesn't need you to give her anything...just go check it out.
Items needed to open and value (coins/shards)
Gnawing Pain 30/1
Seal of Ancient Evil 30/1
Burning Sun 25/1

I received the Wind's Wave - 100/3

Looks like this one is a good one to sell: easy to get and worth more than the 3 items required to get it. I do math.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Apr 5, 16 4:57 PM
Well, for me -- I now have all the pets, so there is no reason to continue the side quests.

I HAVE the inventory, and I am not willing to willy nilly use it on side quests to get destiny keys that I no longer need. I will do them when required by the game to do them. Because 50 are required to craft that Keys of Fate, I can't see just disenchanting them....

I have worked for years to build up for retirement, so I could retire.....I have never lived from hand to mouth in my real life and it is just too uncomfortable for me to do it in this game.....I was building my inventory so I could work on the DQ after I "retired" from leveling up.....However, I am reluctant to spend down my nest egg until I see where my "retirement" takes me....

Just my way of thinking/playing the game.....I am also trying to level up my PC game that is currently at Level 39. I will reach max level with little or no inventory....It will be interesting to see how I feel about the side quests in that game when I get there.......will let you know in about another 6-7 months.....

Linalie
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by Linalie on Apr 5, 16 5:25 PM
This is why I always mention the difference between the way the game was and the way it is now...long time players contrasting with newer players. We (newer players) don't have a "nest egg" of inventory...we used it to level and now we get whatever the game gives us via DQs and Destiny Quests...and since Find paths work (though can occasionally be wonky) we get what we need from the game just by playing the game. I've never found a need (nor a desire) to do endless full rounds - and these Blue Key quests give me the opportunity to visit multiple HOS for a reason...Call it making purposeful rounds When inventory items dropped with every HOS then I could see making those full rounds - the purpose being to gather that "nest egg" of inventory...but since that no longer is the case, these Destiny Key quests and the DQs give you something to do.

Starling41
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by Starling41 on Apr 6, 16 6:56 AM
There are also long time players who never had large inventories, who adjusted to the new reality easily. I hit level 69 after the January update, and never had any problems doing it. I hated even the idea of boring full rounds. After the update I did some extra HOS because I wanted to keep playing.

I believe the devs needed to balance the game. You had to do endless rounds because you didn't get enough coins just playing the game, which led to enough inventory that you didn't need to do two playing rounds to do a binding egg, which led to not enough coins, which led to more endless rounds.

The people with inventory prefer not to do the 2 or 8 or 20 playing rounds to complete quests. But those were put in the game as times to build coin for the next time coming which will be expensive. Those playing rounds are part of how the game is structured. Do them and maybe a half dozen extra HOS each time and you have the coins to go forward.

I feel sorry for the folks who can't adjust. Midnight Castle is a unique game. There are other long HOS based games, but they require young eyes and fast responses. I can't play them. Too old. Reflexes too slow. I know. I've tried.

There are huge advantages to the new game but you don't see them until your current inventory goes down enough to see them. When I was playing the latest update, I would go into what should have been a difficult crafting and found all, or all but one of the zz items filled in from doing blue key quests. But for that to happen, you have to play the game, and let the inventory go.

I feel disbelief when I see statistics from people about their rounds, because mine aren't like theirs. I get more HOS drops than they do, and fewer coins and shards.

mamarose1900
Flounder
Flounder
2,190 Posts

[Post New]by mamarose1900 on Apr 6, 16 7:14 AM
Starling, you're exactly right. It's a matter of adapting to how the game is played now. If you go with it, do it the way they've set it up, it's a really fun game. If you fight it and try to play the way you used to or consider things like whether you're getting more or less "value" from the items, which the game programming doesn't take into account, you pretty much spoil your own fun.

I just have fun stormin' the castle.

Diane8722
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by Diane8722 on Apr 6, 16 8:10 AM
I am flabbergasted that anyone could get to level 71 if started playing Jan 2016. Amazing accomplishment! Wow! That is a sprint if I ever saw one! No wonder one can be happy with the new MC! Kudos to anyone who can do that!

12earth45
Clownfish
Clownfish
885 Posts

[Post New]by 12earth45 on Apr 6, 16 8:57 AM
Good day to all!

Thank you for all your comments.

Dear Starling1: your posts have given me ( older player, used to way game was)

Much to think about. Did experiment a little bit... But like Annellegram, I played the game, as my life philosophy..... Save for nest egg, and such. On L71

I have accepted changes in the game, Gift differently now. Am like you not a FAST clicker, too stressful for me. Use this game to RELAX, and sometimes mindless HOS rounds as hubby watches marathon sports ( like March madness)

I find % HOS item drops varies , but overall much improved . Will get the "blue" items , not as before. Doing some DQ, some side quests, fortune wheel, dice game. , aids in inventory. At times, just go around finding flowers, received 3 green stamps, 3 brown stamps, diamonds, plus coins, most recent go around! ( do try to combine all needed items, even Trina's if able , with all quests)

I play intensely, infrequently..... ( life outside the castle calls often) so waiting for HOS to regenerate to get an item is not always an option, thought of just progressing very slowly, but not my personality, so accepted game as is, play other
Short games, as in a match three, solitaire, mahjong games.

Love the forum, as it saved me in beginning when I spent all coin down. Game is gorgeous, FTP, and everyone can play as they like!( within software parameters) Just awaiting update.....
Have not tried other games similar to this one, as too time intensive.

Wishing all the best luck in the castle!

Crystal ; P

dw1457
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by dw1457 on Apr 6, 16 10:02 AM
First let me say to Annelliegram I LOVE the nest egg analogy!!!! It fits perfectly with my own playing style.

I also wanted to mention another reason I preferred doing rounds to collect a larger inventory, and then being able to move several levels at a time.......I loved the STORY!!! For me it was like-do you want to read an entire chapter all at once and witness the storyline unfold and develop, or do you want to read one sentence today, 2 sentences tomorrow, and maybe not finish the paragraph til the end of the week waiting for HOS to recharge. I found I lost/forgot the nuances of the story playing that way.

Dawn

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Apr 6, 16 11:35 AM
dw1457 wrote:
…do you want to read an entire chapter all at once and witness the storyline unfold and develop, or do you want to read one sentence today, 2 sentences tomorrow, and maybe not finish the paragraph til the end of the week waiting for HOS to recharge. I found I lost/forgot the nuances of the story playing that way.

Dawn

I absolutely agree with you, Dawn, & I love your analogy!
Sometimes I wish I could go back to the beginning & do it all over again just to get the story straight!

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Apr 6, 16 1:47 PM
Desertdruid wrote:
dw1457 wrote:
…do you want to read an entire chapter all at once and witness the storyline unfold and develop, or do you want to read one sentence today, 2 sentences tomorrow, and maybe not finish the paragraph til the end of the week waiting for HOS to recharge. I found I lost/forgot the nuances of the story playing that way.

Dawn

I absolutely agree with you, Dawn, & I love your analogy!
Sometimes I wish I could go back to the beginning & do it all over again just to get the story straight!

My reason exactly for starting a second game. I was to the point where I couldn't make heads of tails of the storyline any more with such a long wait between updates. Starting the second game and really digesting the storyline by going at my own pace has helped a lot!

Go to: