LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

How similar to Runefall is this game?

[Post New]by LAndersen on Apr 12, 16 6:49 AM
Looking at the screen shots and the trailer (I'm not a game club member, so can't try this game yet), this seems to have a similar look and basic game play to Runefall.

I quite liked Runefall, but the veeeery long levels rather ruined it for me. I'm wondering if the developers have changed that for Silver Tale?

So, for players who have tried both games, I'd be interested to hear of any differences and improvements (or not, as the case may be) made to Silver Tale.

LAndersen

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re:How similar to Runefall is this game?

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 12, 16 6:58 AM
I would too! I loved Runefall and I actually liked the long levels and the super huge boards.

What scared me about the screenshots for Silver Tale was a move counter in the top left of the screen. I can usually do with timers, but I am awful with move counts unless they are incredibly generous.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 12, 16 7:14 AM
Will demo this when I get the opportunity...also not a GC member either so can't do it today. The super long levels in Runefall along with the fact that it never really "ended" ruined an otherwise great game for me. This developer seems to pay attention to players' feedback though, and there were a lot of comments made about Runefall having *too* much content to be enjoyable.

But from my first glances, appears to be a limited moves M3 which I would think would mean the "rooms" are a lot smaller. The video and screenshots all show "rooms" that completely fit into the screen and you scroll into them probably from doing puzzles like in Runefall. Powerups, jump meter, sequences all look to be there. Exact same playing tiles as in Runefall.

@Bartsister: my trick for limited moves mode M3s is to play from the bottom and let the cascades help me out and switch focus to different parts of the level so I'm not doing the same places over and over burning up moves. The powerups from Runefall look to be back in this game too so you can use those to get a jump on the board at the start and have them recharge while you're playing.

[Post New]by coffeemom2 on Apr 12, 16 7:50 AM
Very similar to Runefall with two big differences. Limited moves versus timed, and in Runefall the board "moves" with you and this one is stationary. You can go to different parts of the board via items you find (rope, pickaxe,etc) as in Runefall, but the board does not move, nor do you have a map. In the demo, there seemed to be only two treasure chests to open per board while in Runefall there might be 3, 4 or more and you have to find them and the keys. These chests are easily found; one key is hidden, the other you have to buy. You still have resources to collect, including making matches next to a mine or a sawmill. Same music and sound effects.

I must say, the premise is a little confusing. You seem to be competing against some other fictional players in trying to rack up points and bring back a silver plant to cure the king. You'll need to dig down in a dark mine to find it, which I didn't find particularly challenging. You are collecting resources to help townspeople build things, but this is where it just got complicated and confusing for me and I didn't really have the patience to deal with it all. You have a horse which you must feed and buy things for.

All-in-all I preferred Runefall. This one is worth trying, but not a buy for me.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 12, 16 10:10 AM
Thanks to all for the responses! They were very helpful!

I think I will have to demo this one instead of just buying. It sounds different enough that I might be disappointed. I will give it a chance though and worse case scenario, I dig out Runefall and play that again.

lilyfantn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by lilyfantn on Apr 12, 16 2:29 PM
I also loved Runefall except for the extremely long levels. I thought the characters were funnier in Runefall and I really liked their conversations. I also preferred the music in Runefall. But that being said, I love this game too. So far the levels are much shorter and its just different enough to be refreshing. I like collecting things so this is right up my alley. You can go back and replay levels to get more resources too. I like this one a lot!

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Apr 12, 16 6:00 PM
I loved Runefall. I only finished it a couple of weeks ago, so was very happy to see Silver Tale today.

I liked the big maps of Runefall, but found movement too slow for me in timed mode, so played the game untimed. I do prefer the more condensed boards in Silver Tale. Movement is smoother and faster and more manageable in timed mode. Also, limited moves mode gives plenty of moves so far. I also like that you have a horse to look after which, when healthy, gives bonuses, like extra moves.

Silver Tale has more of a questing look to it, moving around the main map, mini-games on their own levels and crafting items is a new feature. I quite like the in-game leaderboard, adding the challenge to get to the no. 1 spot. Although the boards are smaller in Silver Tale, it feels to me that there is more to do, giving the game more of an RPG/quest/M3 mix.

I loved the narrator in Runefall. It's not often I pay much attention to a storyline, but the way it was presented in Runefall made it quite enchanting. The characters were amusing, as well. It's too early to make a comparison in that respect as I've only played the demo of Silver Tale so far and have met just two characters. The narrator was there at the beginning, so hopefully will make another appearance.

I loved Runefall, but personally for me, Silver Tale is better.

LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by LAndersen on Apr 12, 16 10:27 PM
Thank you for the great replies. I seem to remember some of you from the Runefall forum?

I too liked the humour and whole mood of Runefall, but it sounds like there's more variety in the gameplay of Silver Tale.

Not a fan of limited moves, but none of you mentioned running out of moves before finishing levels. Then again, you are probably all very clever and experienced gamers

Well, it sounds like I might have to give this a try. It's not like there's been much else interesting among the new games on BFG recently.

[Post New]by ClaudiaKde on Apr 13, 16 12:26 AM
LAndersen wrote:

Not a fan of limited moves, but none of you mentioned running out of moves before finishing levels. Then again, you are probably all very clever and experienced gamers

Hey ,

in the later stage of the game, the normal mode will be pretty tricky in some levels. BUT: You always have the chance to change from normal to relax mode, even just for one level.
And you can always go back later, with more (or more helpful) bonuses to try again in expert mode.

You also can choose to not end with medal. You will only have to remove the red backgrounds to complete a level. Just be aware that you will need medals to open special locations and move forward. But again: you will have the chance to replay each level as often as you want .

LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by LAndersen on Apr 13, 16 6:26 AM
Hi again

Well, I've tried it now (played for half an hour), and so far Playcademy seem to be onto another winner.

My main gripes with Runefall, which were the huuuge maps and levels taking me up to 50 minutes to complete, have been eliminated by allowing the player to leave the map once all red tiles have been smashed - as mentioned by ClaudiaKde (Vielen Dank ).

There are a lot of extra and bonus goals, but you don't have to complete them to move on in the game. Depleeting the resource mines, or whatever they are called, is definitely low on my to-do list. But if you want to complete all the additional quests set by the townspeople, I guess you have to remove all the tiles made of grass, dirt etc, as that is where most of the items are hidden.

I'll play a bit more before making my mind up on whether "to buy or not to buy", but so far I am very positive about Silver Tale.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 13, 16 6:31 AM
Thanks Claudia! That is really good to know! I think I may be doing that when the levels get harder on those move counts.

I demo'd and bought this last night. I think I liked the monster boards of Runefall better, but I think Silver Tale will be fun and I can switch modes to handle the move counter.

This developer just makes such wonderful games I don't want to pass this one by.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 13, 16 8:25 AM
Looks to be a great game! I bought it with 17 minutes of the demo remaining. Like the new challenges like needing to get enough badges to keep advancing on the map and the puzzle where you're trying to clear the whole room with X moves. Slot machine bonus for playing every day is going to keep me occupied for a while LOL.

There's still quite a bit of content with all the storyline/characters you meet and having to maintain your horse. Haven't played long enough to figure out what the artifact sets are yet, but overall it seems to be less overwhelming to play than Runefall was since the levels have much smaller rooms. Not sure why fullscreen mode has black bars on the sides of my monitor...my monitor is a few years old so that may be the issue, but I usually play games in windowed mode anyway due to visual field problems so playing in windowed fixed it.

So far I haven't had any issues with getting low on moves in normal mode. Spoiler (click and drag over white area to read): Making matches of 4 or more tiles gives you free amphorae and bombs that you can either double click or drag over one space to activate and this is great for clearing out hard to reach spots, working on depleting the mines, or clearing tiles to help you reach the badge goal.

The game definitely caters to those who want to do everything in the boards, so if you want to make progress the most efficiently you really need to be playing like you have gaming OCD. The sequences are much harder to complete because there are less tiles to pick from for the matches so it's a good thing completing sequences isn't required as a part of "doing everything". I see not much of anything getting done around the house for a bit (laughing my fins off)...

Edited on 04/13/2016 at 8:35:57 AM PST

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Apr 13, 16 2:02 PM
Hi, SynthpopAddict

I had "planned" on getting a lot of cleaning done today.....but....you know how that goes! As you know I'd been looking for the next Jewel Match, but this was a great surprise.
When you mentioned completing sequences, and less tiles to pick from, I discovered that you can go to different rooms to complete one sequence. You aren't restricted to that one location; it doesn't reset. So that's a good feature. I have changed to relaxed mode occasionally, so that I can do more sequences without running out of moves. Plus, changing to relaxed mode every now and then allows you to build up your bonuses.

On your "spoiler" comment, you can combine them for a larger explosion.

I'm having a good time today!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 13, 16 2:15 PM
Good to see you again skpjazz!

The next JM seems to be hung up somehow...my contact with their design team said the beta was supposed to be ready for testing last week but they don't have it yet. They're wanting me to test this one too as they liked my input on the last JM so I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to do so. Anyway, to get back on topic...

This is one great game. I like it better than Runefall so far because it's much faster to get through the levels. I figured that you might be able to skip around between rooms in order to not break a sequence - that also works in Runefall when you're trying for the bonus goal of completing sequences. But for me it's enough to get the badge and three stars, so the sequences aren't a priority to me.

Thanks for the tip on getting a bigger explosion.

The only things I've seen that could be improved are that they could have made it so if you do everything and are acing the levels, you should have all the items to keep on going in the map. When I completed level 13 I had to go back and replay nearly every level in order to get some more HOs to finish the quest to get more of the map open, even though I already had the #1 rank, three stars, and the badge on every board! Also can't quite see the point of having the horse. You do get 10 extra moves for having a healthy horse but otherwise seems a drain on resources...

Housecleaning getting cut short here too ha ha ha!!!

Go to: