bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe`s Murders in the Rue comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 31, 09 1:09 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe’s Murders in the Rue Morgue. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
[/]Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe’s Murders in the Rue Morgue[/i] is an interactive Hidden Object game based on the short story by Edgar Allan Poe. Right off the bat, players will notice the clean and beautiful, yet appropriately dreary, artwork. Despite this, however, scenes are fairly well-lit and items, although sometimes challenging to find, are rarely hidden in blur or shadow. There is more to this game than just pretty art, however – since this game is based on a short story, players will have to do a bit of reading to follow the storyline completely. As a result, those that prefer to skip through storylines might not get as much out of this game. However, the story doesn’t play a huge role in the actual gameplay and those that miss part of the story can catch up by checking out their notebook. The majority of this game requires players to move from scene to scene, interviewing those related to the crime and locating inventory items needed to make progress in your detective work. Within each scene are multiple interactive spots, some of which contain these items, others containing mini-games (which can be skipped) or traditional Hidden Object scenes and occasionally just unimportant but lighthearted commentary. Players not fond of creepy crawlies may want to be aware of the occasional appearance of bugs and worms, but overall this game isn’t very graphic or violent.

Game Modes:
Rue Morgue offers a Regular mode and Expert mode. Expert mode has longer recharge times for hint/skip buttons.

Depth:
At nine chapters, an experienced Hidden Object gamer could complete Rue Morgue in less than four hours.

Similar to:
Those that enjoy games like Escape the Museum 2 or prefer games with darker themes like Return to Ravenhearst might also enjoy Rue Morgue.

Difficulty level:
Rue Morgue offers two levels of difficulty, but neither is overly challenging nor too simple. Both offer a recharging skip and hint button.

Reviewed by E.G.

Re:Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe`s Murders in the Rue comments and reviews

[Post New]by queenofgames52 on Dec 31, 09 2:43 PM
just finished playing the demo. I must say I am a little disappointed. The game is slow and not challenging enough for me . I found it a little boring and not very much fun . I guess after playing Dire Grove which was a really interesting and challenging game and alot of fun(I played twice) I was expecting a bit too much. Not good enough to spend my free game pass. Sorry I know you can do better then this. Keep those great games coming

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 31, 09 3:26 PM
I was a bit surprised to find only one review on the regular edition, so far. Anyway,
I'm quite fond of the game. It has the features I've come to really enjoy-hidden objects and interaction. The graphics are very nice, in my opinion, and the music is pleasant as well. I would loved to have heard the voices of the actors and a British accent for this story would have been perfect and enjoyable to listen to, besides. I love Edgar Allan Poe's work, especially his poem, The Raven. I bought the first Edgar Allan Poe game and will buy this one as well. I have heard about the "Black Cat" that will be coming out later. I'm really looking forward to that one as I'm a cat lover, and own a black cat-Mabel.

JayneMae
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by JayneMae on Jan 1, 10 7:49 AM
After playing the demo, I too am not impressed. There isn't any challenge. I will save my credit for a better game. As previously stated, I think we are a bit spoiled after dire grove.

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Jan 1, 10 9:15 AM
Well I thought it was quite entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks B.F. for a nice New Year's present!

[Post New]by summertimefairys on Jan 1, 10 12:14 PM
Uggggh! I wish I would have tried the demo before hand! this game is awful!! The graphics are just ok and the music I heard in a game I just recently play puppetshow (another AWFUL! game). the puzzles are way to easy! the hidden objects to easy to find! I regret using a game credit on this! this game is

Edited on 01/01/2010 at 12:16:02 PM PST

[Post New]by lisapolk on Jan 1, 10 1:24 PM
Extremely boring and no challenge at all. Should have read the reviews before wasting a game credit. Live and learn I guess.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Jan 1, 10 1:35 PM
Great game!!! The Best i ever played!!! Finished it without a break.
Now, what will I play tomorrow?

[Post New]by skernation on Jan 1, 10 2:25 PM
Anyone else have trouble clicking the wolf eye to enter it into your inventory? only problem I've seen, enjoyable game, but lacking in effects and challenges.

Thanks for the help

[Post New]by ChesterPepper79 on Jan 2, 10 1:19 AM
I actually really enjoyed the free trial. I was prepared to buy the game once my time was up but first decided to check the walk-through to see how much more of the game was left. To my amazement, I was nearly finished!

I admit that I do not take my time while playing trials. (For instance, I rarely read what the characters have to say when I know I only have an hour to play.) But I did not skip any puzzles and I try to avoid using hints during the Hidden Object Games. Therefore, I was disappointed by how quickly this game goes. I've decided to not buy it.

That said, I think it's a fun game that's definitely worth the trail download.

[Post New]by goodyear1998 on Jan 2, 10 7:36 AM
must agree re length of game. couldnt believe it when was at final chapter. i, unfortunatly did buy it.
happy new year to all the other fishies.

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on Jan 2, 10 8:37 AM
I am 1/2 way through the game and find myself glad I did not buy the collectors editon seams like hidden object with a little bit of adventure hope azada 3 is a lot better

cmcating
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by cmcating on Jan 2, 10 8:41 AM
I am playing the trial version of this game and everytime I get to the interior of the stage coach, it quits. I have 30 minutes of play remaining, and it has done this several times. Is there a problem with the game or should I just try reinstalling it?

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Jan 3, 10 12:16 AM
I agree with most of the reviews. The game was ok, but I wish I would have played the demo before purchasing it. Kinda wasted a game credit, but that's my fault for not reading the reviews for the 'collector's edition'. I will, from now on, however, wait for reviews and find out the length of a game before purchasing it, as spending hard earned money for about an hour and a half of clicking is really not something I want to do again. Looking forward to Virtual Villagers 4, which is at the 98% complete point according to LDW! Happy new year, everyone! It's 2010! Can you believe it?!

AgnesKite
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by AgnesKite on Jan 3, 10 2:39 PM
I was considering buying the collector's edition of this game when it released, as I did with MCF Dire Grove, but as I had not played the first installment of the Edgar Allan Poe series, I decided to wait until the demo was available. Though I try to keep an open mind regarding hidden object games, I must admit I was a bit disappointed by the overall execution of this particular game.

The title screen first reveals mediocre graphics--everything looks a little grainy and blocky. Once actual gameplay begins, the music, though appropriately moody and pleasantly melodic, tends to be a bit repetitive, as it constantly loops one brief theme in each room or scene. The hidden object scenes are the best, and most challenging, part of the game. Free-play adventure segments, in which the player has to interact with the environment and objects in order to progress to new areas, were entirely too easy for experienced players, which, as previously mentioned by others, lent to a very short game. Even playing on the advanced level won't add too much more of a challenge, as players will simply need to click around the scene randomly to find the objects and areas with which to interact.

After completing the demo, I feel this game would be great for less experienced gamers, or those who want a more relaxing experience, though I would not recommend it for elite hidden object game players. Unless you are truly a fan of the series, I don't believe the extras included in the collector's edition will make up for the $13 increase in price.

renaki
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by renaki on Jan 4, 10 6:55 AM
Right !! I agree with all of you
I played the 1 hour demo just to find out I was ending the 4th of the 9 chapters.
NICE BUT SMALL for an average player.

Anyway, I wonder. When we download the games, it shows how big they are.
This one was 218mb, seemed very big considering the fact that most of the games are less than 100. However, Yudalegend with 138mb lasted 5 hrs while this one would take me 2 hrs tops
I wonder..

Sorry, I am not buying it....

renaki
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by renaki on Jan 4, 10 7:00 AM
JayneMae wrote:After playing the demo, I too am not impressed. There isn't any challenge. I will save my credit for a better game. As previously stated, I think we are a bit spoiled after dire grove.

Unfortunately, we will have to wait untill next December to play a game as good as Dire Grove. The second best game MCF RETURN TO RAVENHEARST, was released on December of 2008. So it seems to me....

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Jan 4, 10 11:23 AM
I actually enjoyed the game and am glad I bought it, although I likely will not replay it for a long while. I probably spent 4 hours playing in total, although I did have to stop a couple of times to do "real life" things. LOL

I didn't find the music annoying in this game, as it is in some others, even though it did loop on each scene. The graphics may not have been the best I've seen, but they sure weren't the worst. The items we had to find made sense to the era as well as to the game... in most instances, anyway. There were a few items that weren't quite "Victorian" era, but it was a lot better than most of the HOGs we've seen lately!

The game is fairly easy, although some of the puzzles were more of a challenge for me than they seem to have been for some other players. They weren't impossible, though, which allowed the game to flow smoothly through and I wasn't frustrated trying to solve some impossible puzzle. The hidden objects were clear and big enough to see, which made it a pleasure to play those parts. Some game developers seem to think that "hidden" means "impossible to see", which makes those games frustrating and not fun. We've seen a few of those lately!

All-in-all, I found this to be a fun and relaxing game to play.

[Post New]by spammy63 on Jan 4, 10 3:33 PM
Too short, not challenging enough. Figured out the "mystery" pretty quickly, then it was just boring. Wasted a game credit since it's the 3rd (CE) and 4th most downloaded, which i guess means people are downloading without reading reviews.

Darla1108
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Darla1108 on Jan 4, 10 3:53 PM
I'm sorry to see so many negative reviews. I really enjoyed this game. I enjoyed the atmosphere and I felt like the graphics were really nice. I could actually see most of the items in the Hidden Object scenes. I liked being able to complete a game without needing a hint for every item and without needing a walkthrough open at the same time I'm playing the game. It took me over 6 hours to complete so good value for me. I bought the regular version because I couldn't afford $20 for one game. I think this is a beautiful game that is not so frustrating that you'll quit before you finish.

Go to: