Game won't even start up (windows 7)

[Post New]by LuckyLara on Jan 1, 10 8:24 PM
doesn't even attempt to try. I click, it thinks for approx. 5 seconds and then stops.
Is this going to be updated enough to be working with windows 7?

kiwiminx
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Re:Game won't even start up (windows 7)

[Post New]by kiwiminx on Jan 2, 10 2:51 AM
I am having the exact same problem too lara.... Can anyone help please?

donnasm
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by donnasm on Jan 2, 10 5:36 AM
Ditto - I get an access violation. I too am running Windows 7, and I realy wanted this game.

willhenry
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by willhenry on Jan 2, 10 6:03 AM
I'm having the same problem too.
From what I've been able to figure out by reading the posts from other problems is that I have the same issue that is going on with the Edgar Allen Poe game. If I understand... I'm downloading loading on my new laptop I got for Christmas that has a " chip something" issue. Makes me wonder how many more games I will have problems with that I won't know about until I spent time and $ on only to find they won't play.
Maybe this is something that BFG will have to list with the system requirements.

[Post New]by Sunbird8 on Jan 2, 10 6:04 AM
Have the same problem, also with Windows 7. Am very disappointed. Any solutions??

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Jan 2, 10 8:10 AM
I am having the same problem, too. I even tried to get the game to "run on a previous version of Windows" and it still doesn't work. I don't get any errors, it just flashes like it's going to start, then brings me to the "Play Again" page. I hope someone finds a cure for this.

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,633 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Jan 2, 10 8:53 AM
I have Windows 7 and haven't had a problem with that game loading. I'm on a desktop though, don't know if that matters. Have you tried switched compatibilty modes? That has worked for all but a couple games I've had to do that with. I have only checked about 1/2 of mine so far though.

Jboliver,

When you switched mode did you uncheck the 2 disable boxes. Forget what the names are, but one is for aero. They are the 2nd and 3rd from the bottom. Also try both Vista serv pack 2 and XP serv pack 3 if you haven't tried both.

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Jan 2, 10 9:08 AM
I just downloaded a trial version from another gaming website to see what would happen and the game runs fine in Windows 7. I also decided to try downloading the trial version from BFG onto my laptop and it ran fine. When I clicked the already paid button (after I started the trial) and activated the game, it wouldn't start. I hope BFG can fix this bug because I really like this game and I'd rather not have to buy it from someone else because I've already bought it from BFG.

Thanks for the tips, AnnBy. I did try the compatibility stuff and it still didn't work. All I know is if the game works in trial mode but not in paid for mode, there has to be a bug somewhere.

Edited on 01/02/2010 at 9:30:38 AM PST

sas24471
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by sas24471 on Jan 2, 10 9:29 AM
I have tried all the fixes I found on line and nothing works to help this problem. I will have to request my refund.

[Post New]by b2lawrence on Jan 2, 10 1:52 PM
Ditto with all the other posts. HOWEVER, I played the game for a good while right after I downloaded, then it froze and now nothing. Uninstalled, reinstalled, etc., etc.

ZedTBear
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by ZedTBear on Jan 3, 10 3:01 PM
Yep, won't play under Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit. It trashed my 64 bit system and I had to use a prior restore point which then took out this offending game! Windows 7 was avaible as a beta for over a year before the release version. The developers had plenty of time to check compatibility and make it work!!! BFG should make that clear to these developers and let us users know before the bad experience and frustration sets in. If it doesn't work under Windows 7, SAY SO!!!

[Post New]by MelissaH529 on Jan 3, 10 3:52 PM
I am running windows 7 on a desktop and am having the same problem. Game won't run. I haven't had a problem with any of the other games I've bought recently. Would be nice if someone from BFG would come on here and address this issue.

donnasm
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by donnasm on Jan 3, 10 3:59 PM
I have tried almost everything suggested - now I am uninstalling and reinstalling. Probably an exercise in futility. I agree with the above - if a game is not going to work in Windows 7, please put that on the specs so we don't go through this.

tazmanw
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by tazmanw on Jan 6, 10 4:02 PM
I'm having the same issue- Windows 7 64. Anyone have any solutions to the problem? Tried the compatibility in xp but still nothing. Guess I'll contact cs...

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Jan 6, 10 4:21 PM
I have the same problem. sent CS a note on 1/2/10 still waiting for an answer.

bfgBering
Clownfish
Clownfish
851 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBering on Jan 7, 10 10:42 AM
Hi Fishies!

Just popping by to let you know that we are aware of this and we are working on a fix for it. We will post an announcement when it is ready, and it should be soon!

bfgBering

tazmanw
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by tazmanw on Jan 7, 10 1:15 PM
Thanks for letting us know.

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Jan 7, 10 1:22 PM
Thank you so much Bering! I know I sent two emails to CS, I guess I was getting too impatient. Sorry. I'll try to keep calm.

bfgBering
Clownfish
Clownfish
851 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBering on Jan 7, 10 1:25 PM
Hi Fishies!

New build is up that should fix this, details are available here!

bfgBering

ZedTBear
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by ZedTBear on Jan 7, 10 6:11 PM
The game came up this time BUT...
A window popped up before the game started and said there was "no solution to the problem" huh? Then the game started in windowed mode instead of full screen. The option to change was grayed out. I was suspicious of this behavior and rebooted my computer to see if the install had trashed my Windows 7 64 bit OS like it did before. IT SURE DID! I COULDN'T BOOT. I had to run the Microsoft "Startup Repair" utility to restore to the last working restore point. This removed the install of this program and the OS started working again.
This game IS NOT READY TO WORK WITH WINDOWS 7 64 bit YET!! I also have a Windows 7 32 bit system but I don't want to waste anymore time to try it on that computer too!

Go to: