soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

Any other games rated "E for everyone" like this without cursing like in NiBiRu?

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 2, 10 8:11 AM
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to Large File Adventure games and was surprised at the cursing in Syberia(even though mild) but was outraged by the continuous cursing in NiBiRu Age Of Secrets,especially when I heard the Lord's name in vain was the last straw!

I never thought about game ratings before since this is the first in 30+ years of gaming that I've ever encountered cursing in a game.

Since BFG doesn't even include the ERSB rating on their game info pages,I wrongly assumed theirs were all family friendly! Unfortunately neither do the two game review sites that I use most,include mention of such game content Gamezebo and Game Spot. while I was downloading NiBiRu yesterday I looked at games at Best Buy online and Amazon,and that's when I started noticing the "Mature" ratings for some,and was shocked to see why they are rated Mature! Then I was even more shocked to see that NiBiRu with all it's continual cursing is rated "Teen" and so is Syberia!

So it seems E is the only rating I want to see in a game.

I would really appreciate suggestions for any other Eye Candy (superior graphics) adventure games like this one that are also non-offensive?

Please no Nancy Drew! I just gave 5 of those to my daughter- "unsolved" I really find the puzzles in ND impossible! Plus I do not care for the First Person View, but that is not as important as EASY PUZZLES are,LOL! Any 10 year old that can solve a Nancy Drew game must be a MENSA candidate!

I especially love bright colorful graphics. Syberia was nowhere as impressive as NiBiRu graphically,because of it's muted grays and browns.

I'm especially curious about...

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Return to Mysterious Island

Treasure Seekers: Visions of Gold

Destination: Treasure Island

Jane Angel: Templar Mystery

Laura Jones and the Gates of Good and Evil

Is anyone familar with these?

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 3:57:18 PM PST

cinder555
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,217 Posts

Re: Any other games rated "E for everyone" like this without cursing like in NiBiRu?

[Post New]by cinder555 on Jan 2, 10 8:53 AM
I think you would like:

Journey to the Center of the Earth
Return to Mysterious Island 1 & 2
Destination: Treasure Island - pirate game ?

Check out:

Paradise
Dracula series
The Omega Stone
The Secrets of Da Vinci

Good Luck

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Re: Any other games rated "E for everyone" like this without cursing like in NiBiRu?

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jan 2, 10 9:45 AM
There's no cursing in Destination: Treasure Island (I did the walkthrough for that one, also), but it's based on the Robert Louis Stevenson book and there is some violence where your character has to shoot people. I enjoyed the game a lot, but I wouldn't rank it in the highest "family friendly" level. It all depends on what bothers you, of course.

Sherlock Holmes: the Secret of the Silver Earring is a pretty standard Sherlock Holmes adventure, no cursing, minimal violence by the good guys (there is a murder or two by the bad guys, but not graphic).

Return to Mysterious Island is based on the Jules Verne book, but goes beyond it. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think there's any cursing in that one.

The original Escape the Museum (not the sequels) has a lot of Hidden Object scenes, but mixes them in with a very nice family-friendly adventure, where a woman who is a museum curator is trapped in the museum when an earthquake occurs, and has to rescue her daughter. Modern setting, no bad guys, no violence, no cursing, no supernatural, but a good plot.

If you haven't played them yet, you might also like Hidden Expedition: Amazon and Hidden Expedition: Devil's Triangle. There are sometimes some supernatural elements in the series, but the puzzles are challenging without being impossible, the artwork is great, there's a nice sense of humor, and they're definitely family-friendly.

The last three have trial demos, so you can check them out here at Big Fish Games and see what you think.

Have fun!
Robin

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jan 2, 10 9:50 AM
I almost forgot--the entire Treasure Seekers series is family-friendly in terms of language, but does have some supernatural elements. I liked the second much better than the first, but both are good. The second one is called Treasure Seekers: the Enchanted Canvases.

Laura Jones and the Gates of Good and Evil is a good game, no cursing, but does have lots of supernatural elements and is also pretty short compared to cmost of the others.

If you're interested in something like Laura Jones, I think I'd recommend the Samantha Swift series first. A little bit of supernatural, not much, it's mostly done from an archaeological standpoint. But that's just a matter of taste.

Robin

p.s. I only mention the supernatural aspect because some people are concerned about that as well.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jan 2, 10 12:41 PM
Oh, and one more note: "mild language" is allowed even under the E for Everyone rating. The only rating that guarantees no cursing of any kind is EC, Early Childhood.

You can find out more information about game ratings if you google ESRB, the official rating organization.

Robin

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 2, 10 2:12 PM
Wow getting some great tips,that I appreciate so much.
I happen to love Mythology,and the supernatural/unexplained,as long as it isn't overtly occult or demons.I also love archaeological mysteries/adventures.

I love the beauty of nature and also older and other culture's building's architecture,so I do not like sparse empty backgrounds,nor do I like a game full of dark backgrounds.

I must confess I have never read Jules Verne,but Return To Mysterious Island sounds interesting.

Of course I as a puzzle-hater,except for inventory-type puzzles, really appreciate games that allow you to "Skip" puzzles and offer generous hints,LOL!

Mild cursing I can take,though I don't like it,but I will not tolerate our Lord's name used in vain.

The Museum ones don't appeal to me,searching for objects through rubble would be even worse than the junk-pile scenes too many HOG use.

Here are some of my games,as you can see many are Hidden Object type or the newer hybrid of Hidden Object and Adventure which I love....
Abra Academy
Abra Academy eturning Cast
Agatha Christie Peril At End House
Alexandra Fortune:Mystery of the Lunar Archipelego
Big City Adventure ydney,Australia
Enlightenus
FluxFamilySecrets:The Ripple Effect
Haunted Hotel
Haunted Hotel2:Believe The Lies
Little Shop Of Treasures
Magic Encyclopedia:Moon Light
Mortimer Beckett:and the Secrets of Spooky Manor
Mystery Age: The Imperial Staff
MCF Ravenhearst & Return To Ravenhearst
Mystery In London
Mystery Legends Sleepy Hollow
Mystery P. I.:The Lottery Ticket
Syberia
The Secret Of Margave Manor
The Serpent Of Isis
Treasure Seekers:The Enchanted Canvases

robin94122 For someone to be able to do a walkthrough,just boggles my mind!

Edited on 01/02/2010 at 4:36:39 PM PST

Go to: