marypenn
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

Other games

[Post New]by marypenn on Jan 4, 10 10:06 AM
I enjoyed this game for many of the mentioned reasons but, I really enjoyed it as a learning experience. This is the first adventure game (the kind where you walk and talk and guess what to do, where to go, etc.) I relied heavily on the walk through but I did learn how these games work. I loved the "?" marks. They were a real help. Can anyone suggest other games like this one? Not Nancy Drew (tried too many and got frustrated) or ones like Mortime Beckett, MCF, Samantha Swift. (I think I have done them all

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Other games

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jan 4, 10 6:33 PM
marypenn wrote:I enjoyed this game for many of the mentioned reasons but, I really enjoyed it as a learning experience. This is the first adventure game (the kind where you walk and talk and guess what to do, where to go, etc.) I relied heavily on the walk through but I did learn how these games work. I loved the "?" marks. They were a real help. Can anyone suggest other games like this one? Not Nancy Drew (tried too many and got frustrated) or ones like Mortime Beckett, MCF, Samantha Swift. (I think I have done them all

There are all different kinds of "point and click adventure games" out there. Some are more about the story, some are more about the puzzles. Some are based on familiar characters like Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot. Some are extenstions of classic adventure novels like Robinson Crusoe or books like Jules Verne. Some have more humour than others.

Because you're going to spend so much time with the game, usually 15 hours or more, the kind of atmosphere and plot you like will make a big difference to your enjoyment.

Many of the games have a supernatural element, some are contemporary crime, some are cartoon action, kind of James Bond-like.

Some are more violent than others, and some have a lot of "adult language and situations."

What specifically do you think you'd like?

Contemporary or period/historic?

Humourous, horror, crime, mystical, fairy tale, or general adventure?

"Adult language and situations" or "family friendly"?

Heavy on the puzzles or more about the characters?

Are supernatural themes acceptable?

How about the level of violence? Is something like Law & Order ok thematically (murders, other violent crimes, the good guys may have to shoot someone)?

Does it matter if the main character is male or female?

--Robin

marypenn
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

Re:Other games

[Post New]by marypenn on Jan 5, 10 4:27 AM
All sound great. I am really not picky. I love history, supernatural is good, male or female, love puzzles, like a good story, don't care about language or crimes. I would really appreciate a walk through. Does this help at all? Thanks.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jan 5, 10 7:33 PM
marypenn wrote:All sound great. I am really not picky. I love history, supernatural is good, male or female, love puzzles, like a good story, don't care about language or crimes. I would really appreciate a walk through. Does this help at all? Thanks.

It's easy to see whether a game has a walkthrough or not here at Big Fish Games, because the link to the Blog Walkthrough will be available on the same page you download from. Some games also have separate strategy guides you can purchase for a game credit--usually those were provided by the publisher or are for much more complex games.

If you want to start with something on the simpler side, have you tried the Alabama Smith series? Those are point and click games but designed for people who don't want to spend more than 6 or 8 hours on an adventure. They're a good way to get more used to the genre.

Destination: Treasure Island and Return to Mysterious Island are both excellent games if you like classic adventure stories.

If you like Indiana Jones type humour in your adventures, the Diamon Jones series is pretty good, although it does have some language issues from time to time. (that is, nonidiomatic translation, not obscenities.)

Art of Murder: FBI Confidential is from the same publishers who did Chronicles of Mystery: the Scorpio Ritual. Contemporary, strong female lead, complex mystery. Pretty graphic violence, though.

Sherlock Holmes: the Secret of the Silver Earring is an excellent story, although the gameplay is a little clunky.

Dracula Origins was a popular point and click adventure, but is more for people who are very experienced in the genre--the puzzles are very hard in that one.

Have you tried the Hidden Expedition games? Especially the newesdt one, Hidden Expedition Devil's Triangle. It's much more like an adventure game than a hidden object game, the puzzles are challenging without being too hard, and it's a nice blend of genres.

Edited on 01/05/2010 at 7:42:32 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jan 5, 10 7:39 PM
If you like ghost stories, the Delaware St. John series is very well written and has great plots. Contemporary, about a young man who discovers he's a psychic, sort of Ghost Whisperer type stuff, except he can't tell when he's talking to someone whether they're a ghost or alive, which is usually part of the plot. The first couple were fairly short for adventure games, but they get longer as the series goes along. You do spend a lot of time walking around if you don't use a walkthrough, but the details and the atmosphere are great.

The Carol Reed series are contemporary, about a young woman in Sweden. She's older than Nancy Drew, but the feel of the games are somewhat similar. Very popular series, Big Fish has several of them.

If you're a Law and Order fan, that game series is very good for contemporary mysteries.

Any of those should work well for you at this stage, it just depends what kind of story you're in the mood for.

Have fun!
Robin

Edited on 01/05/2010 at 7:41:08 PM PST

marypenn
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by marypenn on Jan 6, 10 5:16 AM
Thank-you SOOOOOOO much. I really appreciate all the time you have spent for me to get great games.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jan 30, 10 10:05 AM
bump

[Post New]by funandgames3 on Feb 15, 10 7:34 AM
Absolutly SYBERIA AND SYBERIA 2. I think it is the best large file game I have ever seen. The most beautiful graphics and easy to negotiate.

Go to: