how do I even get started?

[Post New]by appleploughman on Jan 4, 10 11:20 PM
I just finish the intro, find myself in an office, walk forward, walk right. Then all I can do is zoom in on a map, and once that's done I can't do anything else. I can close the map, but then I'm stuck and can't move in any direction. Glad I tried it out before buying it.

Re:how do I even get started?

[Post New]by gramaona on Jan 5, 10 7:20 PM
same thing here but I found you have to hold down the left mouse button and then move the mouse to the edge of the screen in the direction you want to go and it moves. wasted half of my demo time trying to figure out how to turn then just follow the arrows as they appear.

dowdp
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by dowdp on Apr 3, 10 9:51 AM
Holding down the left mouse button and moving the mouse will definately allow you to navigate the scene. Be aware that the small arrow cursor will not change shape or look like the large arrow icons that let you move rapidly into another place.

You can pan left-right and up-down.

I got away from the map, checked out the grabable books in the book case and got into the hallway. Looked at the shadowbox of butterflies that had my reflection on the glass. Still haven't figured out how to open the door to the Director's Office or other doors in the hallway.

[Post New]by basfan1 on Jun 7, 10 10:30 AM
I am glad I am not the only one who has had trouble with this game. It takes most of the demo time to even figure out what to do. I finally got away from the map but then couldnt figure out where to go from there! I am glad I went with my gut and went through the demo before buying. I cant see that this game would be worth even the Monday deal price.

gntpat
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by gntpat on Jul 1, 10 5:25 PM
Going up and down the stairs, wandering the halls, I have done nothing else for 30 minutes. I'll skip this game.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jul 1, 10 10:43 PM
When you are in the office, look at the desk. Look down. There are some papers. Klick on those and the story begins. (you have to be in front of the desk, as at the start of the game).

To turn in any direction, you have to press and hold down the left mouse button. (Turn slowly).

Safarri
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Safarri on Jan 13, 11 4:57 AM
Thank you guys. I had the same problem and felt really dumb. I like different but help to get started would be nice. I think I'll pass.

sealilly
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by sealilly on Jan 13, 11 6:56 AM
your right, tottally confusing. i keep going in circles. iplay games to pass time, but not this. sorry

[Post New]by lalalady39 on Jan 13, 11 7:29 AM
Not willing to spend over half my time figuring out how to get the game started. Designer needs to give some clues as to what we are expected to be doing. Won't buy it for sure!!

313gramgram
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by 313gramgram on Jan 13, 11 10:57 AM
Martila.. good job getting into the office but could you please let me know how you did it? Ive been wondering aroung for half of the demo. Looks like this game could be very interesting Do you know if there is a walkthrough seeing this is an old game I just don't know. Thanks Gram

khendrick1
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by khendrick1 on Jan 13, 11 3:14 PM
I too just spent 30 minutes wandering all the stairs and not talking to the security guard because I apparently don't need to do that yet. I can't leave the building because "something" has finally happened...so now I am here but I clicked on the desk too and nothing happened. I guess I will try again...

Alright I went back to the office and discovering that I should click on the papers while facing the opposite side of the desk I am faced with an extremely long page that I need to read...nevermind. I am just not interested anymore.

Edited on 01/13/2011 at 3:25:45 PM PST

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jan 13, 11 4:32 PM
313gramgram wrote: Martila.. good job getting into the office but could you please let me know how you did it? Ive been wondering aroung for half of the demo. Looks like this game could be very interesting Do you know if there is a walkthrough seeing this is an old game I just don't know. Thanks Gram

You start the game in Professor Hunt's (your) office. Check the desk, pick up the letters. There is a letter, some newspaper articles and a colored page from a medieval codex. If you like, you can read them all but what is most important is the short letter. This gives you the idea what to do.

There are walkthroughs for this game, check game zebo.

Edited on 01/13/2011 at 11:52:10 PM PST

[Post New]by sheltie127new on Jan 13, 11 11:07 PM
lalalady39 wrote:Not willing to spend over half my time figuring out how to get the game started. Designer needs to give some clues as to what we are expected to be doing. Won't buy it for sure!!

Amen; I despise games that assume that u have ESP. They want us to buy this huge game, but they won't give us a clue about how to start the game. They do spend 2 pages explanating symbols, many of which we've seen numerous times before, but they don't tell us how to get past the 1st screen. This 1 goes in the never buy pile.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jan 14, 11 4:24 AM
lalalady39 wrote:...Designer needs to give some clues as to what we are expected to be doing....

Why should they? You are playing a traditional, classic adventure game, a type of game where it is a major part of the challenge to figure out what you have to do.

You need to use your imagination: try to imagine what YOU would be doinig if you were in the same situation in real life. What would you do in an office? How would you find your way in a building? Put yourself these questions and look for items or places you think could be the solution.

Some pleople are stuck in front of the map. This is a close-up and there are many in the game. If stuck in a close-up move the cursor down until it becomes an arrow and click. Sometimes you can leave by clicking on an X symbol. The controls are self-explanatory.

[Post New]by halloween1953 on Jan 14, 11 11:55 AM
This is worst game I've played, I should say tried to play. Iam glad I tried before I bought it, spent the whole time trying to get away from the map.

griffgirl
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by griffgirl on Jan 14, 11 7:06 PM
I was hoping I wasn't the only one with this problem. I too got to the map, also found my way downstairs after going back to his office several times and opening the books in the bookcase. Couldn't do anything downstairs. Really don't like the way you have to move around - kinda makes me dizzy. Glad someone has told how to actually start the game. Still have trial time left. Will have to check it out and see what happens. I do have to say this is one of the wierdest games I have encountered with Big Fish. It starts strange then jumps right in as though instructions have already been given. I am quite good at **** games but this one truly stumped me. Will give the papers on the desk a try and see what happens. Good luck everyone and have fun!

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jan 15, 11 12:07 AM
griffgirl wrote:... I do have to say this is one of the wierdest games I have encountered with Big Fish. It starts strange then jumps right in as though instructions have already been given....

griffgirl, this is a traditional adventure game, a classic. Even if you are good at HOGs or IHOGs you may find it very different as there are no direct hints. It is part of the challenge to find out what you have to do!
When you turn around please try to do it SLOWLY and probably set panning speed to slow in game options. That might help. And have sound and subtitle on because there are many verbal clues in the game.
Have fun!

patkerash
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by patkerash on Jan 15, 11 9:20 PM
I hate adventure games....why do I even keep trying...arghhh

[Post New]by juliamargaret on Mar 24, 11 2:34 PM
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one with this how do i move around confusion. it makes the game frustrating from the start.

LuckyKK
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by LuckyKK on Sep 3, 11 11:18 PM
I also had the same problem of not knowing what to do. I clicked on the map, I had also clicked on the desk area,(but guess I wasn't in the right spot.) I ventured all through the bldg. - saw the security guard sitting by a "Locked" door...no conversation Wound up in the basement- couldn't even see down there. Went back upstairs, back into the office..I really don't care for the 360 games...I tend to get dizzy. I'm not even going to get back into it to read the letter on desk, etc., as there are NO Hints...I personally do not like games with no hints. I do like some adventure games, but not so much like this one. It's a no buy for me, even if it was the DD.

Go to: