This is what I think

[Post New]by pixieNdixie on Apr 29, 16 3:50 PM
I don't generally post like this but after reading so many other posts I decided I'd add my impressions of this game.

I have to say it's one of the best TM games I've ever played. I also have to say it's the most aggravating, frustrating, difficult TM game I've ever played. I've been playing it off and on for over a year which is the longest amount of time I've ever taken to finish any game. I play off and on simply because I get bored playing the same levels over and over again on my quest for those 3 stars. I also get so frustrated with it there is no enjoyment in playing.

I'm up to Level 32. Level 28 is as far as I've gotten with 3 stars. After weeks of attempting to get at least 2 starts on Level 29 I just gave up. I've finally decided that finishing the rest of the game with one star is as good as it might get. There will be a point in time I'll come back and try again for at least 2 stars. But it won't be any time soon.

This is such an excellent game. I just wish they could have made it a bit easier.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

Re:This is what I think

[Post New]by burf90 on May 1, 16 9:44 AM
Hi, pixieNdixie. Welcome to the pond!

I agree with you on both counts. It's a wonderfully frustrating game!

I don't know how you are playing, timed or untimed, or what personal goals you have set for yourself in games. (I always give myself goals that aren't part of the actual game requirements and know many others that do the same.) However, if you are willing to change your game strategy a little, it's possible to get through the game with three stars on all the levels and not too many replays.

I should preface this by letting you know I hate TM games. I like the management part, but I am never quick enough to get gold against the timer and I don't enjoy the stress of trying. This is the first TM game I've ever found where I can earn 3 stars playing untimed. I think that's fair, honestly, because this game is more about the strategy and, timed or untimed, you still have to figure out how to get enough supplies to finish each level.

So, if you are willing to play untimed, you can still get three stars and all the achievements. FWIW, here's what I do...

The first time through I just study the map and plan my strategy based on what I start with and what I probably will need to get to first. Then I choose my equipment so I'll get extra wood, stone, or anything it looks like I'll be running short of. Then I just start experimenting to see what's in the treasure chests, how many fish are in a pond or barrel, etc. I just restart the level a lot while I'm looking around. Then when I think I have it figured out, I restart and play the level through.

Playing untimed, I basically ignore anything that makes them work or run faster and just focus on what will get me the most supplies. I also switch the gloves and shoulder bag every time I clear wood or rock piles until I have a sawmill or quarry built. The last thing I do is avoid adding extra workers until I have a surplus of supplies, so Victoria works pretty hard in my game.

BTW, if you're in for future frustration/enjoyment, after you finish this game, play Incredible Dracula: Chasing Love. It's by the same developers and the game play is the same.

[Post New]by pixieNdixie on May 10, 16 8:07 AM
I never played TM games until I found one called Youda Survivor. Then I found the 12 Labours of Hercules series, followed by Roads Of Rome series. The only TM games I enjoy, the only ones I play, are the ones along those lines. The other kinds that are like say, the Build-A-Lot games or Burger Shop, just don't hold my interest. And after years of playing timed HOG's I find that without the time, the challenge just isn't there.

I generally enjoy the challenge of getting those 3 stars and completing tasks within the given time. But with this game, when I go back to it, I'm going to take your advice and start it over playing untimed.

Thanks!!!

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on May 12, 16 9:47 PM
I don't think you even have to start over. I'm pretty certain you can change from timed to untimed and continue from where you are. I always optimistically start these games timed, then throw up my hands in utter despair and switch to untimed...

You can also replay levels you didn't get gold on, so that'll save you some time, too.

BTW, I also like the Roads of Rome and 12 Labors series. The only empire building game I have ever found that I really like is Fairy Godmother Tycoon. I love the humor in it and, again, it's strategy, not speed. It's an old game but I still love it. I can't even count how many times I've played that one through.

Edited on 05/12/2016 at 9:53:39 PM PST

Go to: