Surprised at the sexism

[Post New]by allisonfranklin on Jan 9, 10 6:47 AM
I know this is only a game but I found it very irritating that the minute anything requiring physical strength cropped up, the male character was needed. Felt a bit of a 1950s take on the modern world. And didn't last very long either and I am not particularly good at these type of games.

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

Re:Surprised at the sexism

[Post New]by heidid on Mar 7, 10 4:03 PM
True enough, but (though I am female) I don't really consider this sexist. After all, if you just look a the bell curve, most men are, in fact, somewhat stronger on average than most women. That certainly doesn't mean there are no exceptions.

You could just as easily turn it around; the poor guy isn't skinny enough (apparently) to reach in through a car window. I figure if they wanted to divvy up the specialties, they did a reasonable job. And the *girl* is the scientist, after all, who can figure out how to crack a digital lock w/ a random laptop that isn't even hers. (grin)

Just my thoughts. I am enjoying the game so far, though i'm a bit leery of buying it since most reviews I have seen are reporting this to be a very short game.

[Post New]by spiderweb55 on May 23, 10 2:12 PM
Signed up to this form to agree with the blatant sexism. Notice that if you leave the scientist alone, she constantly (and automatically) goes to her compact to check her face? Ugh.

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Sep 18, 11 9:10 AM
The different avatars must do different things; my female was always on the couch watching tv in her 'down' time, never saw her with a compact, LOL. And the first time she was standing around doing nothing, and said "I'm so bored", I just wanted to smack her little face!

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Sep 18, 11 9:50 AM
I had some similar thoughts while playing but, I decided to look at it this way. It's not necessarily realistic because the dog is smarter than both of them.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jan 4, 12 8:56 AM
Yeah, my female too just gets bored.

But speaking of stereotypes: Betcha $10,000* that the female who checks her face in down time is the curvy blonde!
--------------------------
* In play money.

Edited on 01/04/2012 at 8:57:28 AM PST

chaleur
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by chaleur on Mar 17, 12 11:24 AM
heidid wrote:True enough, but (though I am female) I don't really consider this sexist. After all, if you just look a the bell curve, most men are, in fact, somewhat stronger on average than most women. That certainly doesn't mean there are no exceptions.

I might have been willing to accept that, but how about this message:

"Smashing hardwood floors with a crowbar isn't a task for a lady."

Ahem.

Go to: