cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

Reviews and comments, please.

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 10, 10 12:10 AM
There are so many posts but no real reviews. From what I've read of the posts, it does not look like there are a lot of happy campers. Gonna' look for a demo and check back later.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

Re:Reviews and comments, please.

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Jan 10, 10 9:31 AM
Without even trying the demo, I know this isn't a game for me. Why movie makers or game developers think "graphic language" has to be included in order to sell their product is beyond me. That is a complete turn-off for me. Perfectly wonderful movies and games are out there without being ruined with vile language.

[Post New]by KathrynJB on Jan 12, 10 3:13 AM
I'm not finished with this game, and I'm not positive that I will finish, so take it for what it's worth.

So far, I have to say that this game is very slow (there are lots of scenes of watching your character walking across rooms -- slowly) and often very frustrating. As many have mentioned, it's very linear, so you can't pick up an object that you might need for later if you run across it. You can only gather things as you need them for a particular task most of the time.

One big complaint I have is that many of the puzzles and actions are just not logical. For example, in one scene you need to flip a combination of switches to turn on some lights. The puzzle is randomly generated so there's no one answer, which is fine. However, as far as I could tell there's not a logical answer you can figure out. In addition, there are lots of wasted moves because every time you try a combination you have to move back to see if it worked.

Some of the solutions to other problems are odd too. Without giving too much away, there's an approach to moving a crate that I'm not sure is creative or asinine.

The general theme is neat, with a woman FBI agent attempting to solve a series of murders. The game is sold with a warning about language, which didn't bother me because it seems like it's in context. However, the voice actors are pretty awful, which makes it hard to stay in the moment.

This game is mostly frustrating because it could have been great. It's just very awkwardly done. I don't mind a hard game; I just mind a game that's hard because so much doesn't make sense.

my3swps
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by my3swps on Mar 20, 10 8:33 AM
Thanks, Kathryn JB, for the detail in your review. That is exactly what I was looking for.

puppyalpha
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by puppyalpha on Apr 16, 10 10:21 PM
it is so frustrating, , the game DOES NOT follow the walkthrough. i only got to the director's & to ruth. if it had a test period i WOULD NEVER HAD PURCHASED IT !!!
so if anybody wants it, I WILL GIVE IT TO YOU !!!!!

puppyalpha

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on May 11, 10 5:27 PM
I know this one's an oldie to most but I just purchased it after enjoying the puppeteer game. I just finished and this was so much fun. Only had to check walkthrough a couple times as the game is designed to keep you on the right track. Save often is my advice in case you get killed. You don't wanna have to turn lights on in the museum twice like I did. Foul language warning if you are sensative about this. I feel the game could've been just as good without swearing personally. It didn't add anything to the game. Anyways, great fun!! Looking forward to another like this one.

[Post New]by OregonPandora on May 11, 10 6:00 PM
There is a 3rd one but it just came out and don't imagine it will be here for quite awhile as we just got 2, which I am playing now and loving it!

cinder555
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,217 Posts

[Post New]by cinder555 on May 11, 10 8:21 PM
I am playing the 3rd one too and I like it.

[Post New]by jersuza on May 16, 10 2:01 PM
I see why there is no trying this game before buying it...........I would never have bought it. No rythm to the game..........dumb!

[Post New]by JayArDee on Jun 13, 10 4:15 PM
I really appreciated the hints button to highlight "hot spots". I don't think I would have enjoyed the game as much. Most of these items weren't obvious and I probably would have spent too much time making sure I passed the cursor over every inch of the screen.

By the way, did anyone else think the agent sounded like Katie Curic?

Edited on 06/14/2010 at 4:56:06 AM PST

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Oct 11, 10 1:27 PM
Review.
May contain spoilers
Storyline: Nicole Bonnet is an FBI agent, recently given an opportunity to work out in the field rather than her normal desk job. She is on the trail of a serial killer whos ritualistic killings have become more frequent. Can you find a link between the victims? Can you assemble the evidence to find out who is behind the killings, before they strike again? I really enjoyed the storyline and found it to be exciting, full of intruigue and adventure. Just the sort of storyline you need for a large file point and click game!
Graphics: For a fairly recent large file game, the graphics are okay. Some items that are required for you to pick up are not always very clear and requires use of the 'hot-spot' button (a very useful button, by the way!). Character movement, when in promimity to other characters is extremely sluggish and jerky, which was very off-putting for me. Walking movement is too slow for my liking, but you can double-click on a location and your character will run there instead of walk!
Voice acting and communication: Voice acting was pretty good, the voice acting of Nicole can seem a little rigid or monotonous at times, but it doesn't really detract from anything. (Plus it would be pretty hard for Nicole to be enthusiastic every time she finds something- "Oh WOW an empty whisky bottle!!")
Chatting with people can be frustrating at times as the conversation will end abruptly and it takes a while to realise that you have to click on the person several times to continue the conversation to its completion. Mobile phone conversations/attempts at communication was annoying as more often than not you don't get anyone picking up the phone, plus you have to wait several beeps until Nicole finally hangs the phone up. Having any access to that phone was a bit useless because Nicole will phone people herself or pick up calls herself when she needs to.
Puzzles: They mostly involved the items that you could pick up and collect, but owing to the strict 'linear' format of the game, you could not always pick up particular items that you knew you would need later. This consequently involved a lot of going backwards and forwards to different locations to pick up items that you saw earlier. Other puzzles required a walkthough as they were too frustrating to do over and over!

All in all, an okay game with some frustrations, but a great storyline. 2 out of 5

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 11, 10 1:34 PM
Great review! On a scale of 1 - 6, how difficult did you find the game?

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Oct 11, 10 1:36 PM
Itsupikachu wrote:Without even trying the demo, I know this isn't a game for me. Why movie makers or game developers think "graphic language" has to be included in order to sell their product is beyond me. That is a complete turn-off for me. Perfectly wonderful movies and games are out there without being ruined with vile language.

The worst words I heard in this game were sh*t and cr*p, which I only heard a handful of times. I think its just protocol to slap a 'graphic language' marker on anything that has even one mild swearword in it. After all, BFG is considered a family company, so imagine the repurcussions if they did not provide fair warning.

Plus I wouldn't say that bad language was used to sell the product at all, if anything the language is used to give a more realistic feel to the game and to the characters. I mean, if an FBI agent hears that one of their collegues is shot, do they say "Oh sh*t!" or "Oh dear!" ?. Which reflects reality more closely?

Just a thought. Don't judge a book (or game) by its cover

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Oct 11, 10 1:40 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:Great review! On a scale of 1 - 6, how difficult did you find the game?

Thanks Mr_Russ I just completed it not 30 mins ago, so its fresh in my mind!

I would say it is about 3 to 4 (moderately difficult), many of the tasks are straightforward, but some puzzles seem to defy logic and are puzzles of chance or dumb luck! I had to use a walkthrough at three points during the game, which I hate doing, but I really couldn't see myself solving a puzzle or section by myself.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 23, 10 4:11 AM
When's your next review? Would you do one for Hunt for the Puppeteer (sequel)?

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Dec 17, 10 4:04 AM
Firstly, this is a large file game (nearly 2 megs) and it downloaded perfectly, even while we were having a major thunder storm here in Oz! The power is back up and running and after having to finish the Activation process the game is running perfectly. Have just exited the 'game' front door of my apartment and all is still running smoothly. Looking good!!!

pamalee444
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by pamalee444 on Dec 26, 10 8:55 AM
I played Hunt for the Puppeteer. I though it was a great game. Lots of fun. I was sad when it ended. I want to play the 1st: FBI Confidential but the reviews are all over the place. I just demo-ed the last: Cards of Destiny and it looks really good also. I finished the demo before the 60 min. trial. Happy Gaming all.
Pamalee444

StandFast
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by StandFast on Dec 28, 10 7:49 AM
I find the game difficult to make her move, very jerky and slow. I can make her run, seems the only way to get her to move quick from place to place. It also likes to keep cutting out on me. It's a good thing I used a free coupon for this game, but I would have rather used it on a different game. You can't tell what the game is like, because of no demo for the large file games, which is frustrating thinking your getting a good game and then things go wrong. Why not even just a half hour demo, so we can see what it's like. Money does not grow on trees. I like most of the games I have, but don't like wasting money on games that don't work properly. As big as Bigfish is and all the people they have making these games, you'd think they'd come up with games that co-operate with the player. I've had to cancel a few games, large file, and get coupons to replace them. I really enjoy the games but would really prefer games that just work!!

Edited on 12/28/2010 at 7:50:45 AM PST

diggermonty
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by diggermonty on Jan 5, 11 5:37 PM
I found both of the "Art of Murder" games to be tedious.
You had to complete tasks that are not really part of a police investigation.
SPOILER ALERT. . . .
For example the Cinema chapter:
Rewind a film
Change projector bulbs.
Raise the curtain; don't get me started on the silly bucket and wheel sequence.
Electricity in the projection room and storage room but not in the auditorium? Silly.
Detective Bonnet has to figure out and complete some puzzles that are not realistic and are frustrating due to their randomness.
I played it of and on when I had nothing else to do except for watching paint dry.

As a police woman she seems to be very unaware of her surroundings at times.
Nah, . . It's not my type of adventure game.

[Post New]by Tiffanip1202 on Jan 8, 11 2:13 AM
I play games to get out of my head and relax, this one didn't do it for me. I end up frustrated and angry after just a few minutes of hearing that woman's voice tell me that annoying "not gonna do it" (I think that's what she says, I've attempted to block it so that I can sleep tonight, lol!).
Everything is difficult. I perhaps just purchased a game that isn't my style. I like hidden object games with a nice story, but this one is to "Adventure" for me, and just too much thinking involved, too much perfection when clicking, too much wandering around for seemingly no reason,and just not a lot of fun.
I'm glad others enjoyed it, just wasn't for me. Just my two cents, for what they're worth. ~Tiffani

Go to: