bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 12, 10 1:11 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

Re:Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy comments and reviews

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jan 12, 10 4:48 AM
There is a demo available at HER Interactive (size about 200 MB ), get it from there if unsure about the game.

I tried that several months ago and liked the game. You infiltrate a college (as done in the books too) to find out who is getting a bit too much bonkers about a scholarship the school hands out to the top student. During demo play the affairs are still harmless enough, some puzzles already start out a bit challenging (for example to fit the 4 puzzle pieces right outside the door). Liked the air hockey minigame, definitely liked the lunch queue minigame. You will have to play the latter one more often to get positive credits - possibly you will amass negative credits during the game and you need positive ones to avoid getting kicked out from school.

Bottom Line: I've waited so long (again, I hope I didn't bore you with How I met your Mother and Big Bang Theory, and thanks for all the Cherry Cokes - people from the waiting line will know) and will wait until February 1, when I will buy it for the new punch card.

Edited on 01/12/2010 at 4:49:04 AM PST

bronte311
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by bronte311 on Jan 12, 10 5:23 AM
I got this game for Christmas and really enjoyed it--the puzzles were just hard enough for me to have to stop and think about them without being so obvious that the game became boring. (Though of course there were one or two where I had to consult the walkthrough--I always do with a Nancy Drew game!) As Laflamme said, the air hockey minigame is pretty fun.

There are more characters to interact than there are in most Nancy Drew games, which is nice. My only criticism would be that the game was a bit on the short side. If I hadn't stopped to play air hockey so much I think I could have gotten pretty close to the end in a single evening of play, which is much faster than I usually make it through a Nancy Drew game.

Edited on 01/12/2010 at 2:03:32 PM PST

lmuehl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by lmuehl on Jan 12, 10 8:15 AM
I bought this game when it came out from the creator site and really enjoyed it. Played it twice. Not alot of replay value but the puzzles are hard with senior level.

quin1234
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by quin1234 on Jan 12, 10 9:33 AM
My 12 year old daughter got this from her brother for Christmas and we played it last week. Really enjoyed it- lots to do, lots of people to talk to. We were also suckers for the air hockey and myself, I wanted to climb the tree, pull the fire alarm, go into the classroom in the daytime but my daughter wouldn't let me. Some of the scenes were very dark and hard to see but this may be because we were playing on the laptop- when we play again I'll install it on the desktop and see if that makes a difference.

The only really frustrating thing is that every now and then Rachel will refuse to talk to you and you're not sure if there's actually something wrong with the website or if you just need to do something/talk to someone else first to move on with the story. Lots of Poe references and the final puzzle is timed but, of course, there's always the 'Second Chance' option. Overall, a fun game, I enjoyed it a little more than she did and as someone else mentioned a pretty quick game if you don't get bogged down in extra curricular activities

Kristifun
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
412 Posts

[Post New]by Kristifun on Jan 12, 10 11:09 AM
I've already finished it. I've got it from Interactive the first days it was in sales.It's a nice game.

julesyhedgehog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by julesyhedgehog on Jan 12, 10 12:59 PM
I got it as soon as Her Interactive released it. It's not one of my favorites but tolerable. I like all the references to Edgar Allan Poe. I have a particular fondness for their earlier games instead of the most recent ones. The later ones seem ridiculously challenging without being much fun.

julesy

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Jan 13, 10 5:44 PM
I also bought this game from Her Interactive a few months ago. It was very enjoyable (I'm a big fan of the Nancy Drew series in general) and took me quite some time to finish (which is a compliment... I like getting a lot of game time for my money). I have the opposite opinion of the Nancy Drew Series as julesyhedgehog... I think some of the earlier Nancy Drew games are too short and don't have nearly enough puzzles (plus their interface isn't as user-friendly), and I have absolutely loved almost all of the games since #11 (The Curse of Blackmoor Manor). I really enjoy the challenge of having to keep track of and reference back to the information and clues gathered throughout the game, and I think the puzzles in Nancy Drew games are consistently among the most unique of all the games I have played.

badgernflash
Catfish
Catfish
1,706 Posts

[Post New]by badgernflash on Jan 17, 10 11:51 AM
hi im lovin this game, its really good, its puzzles get you thinkin but are not to hard. i get right into it and dont notice were the time goes, i didnt manage to resist the fire alarm though lol x

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jan 17, 10 9:09 PM
My daughter and I love the Nancy Drew Games! We have them all and it was so wonderful when Big Fish Games started selling them. We no longer have to pay $19.99 at Target or HerInteractive to get them.

Of all the Nancy Drew games, I have found this one to be one of the most enjoyable. It flows smoothly and for the most part, you can figure out what to do without having to consult the walkthrough here or utilizing the tip board on Her Interactive's website. I will mention that the walkthrough posted on this site for the game is for the Senior Detective and not the Junior.

One of the problems with some of the other Nancy Drew games has been that they are either too scary for my daughter or they get very weird in plot (Blackmoor Manor). Not so with this game...and so far Nancy isn't having to go underground like she usually does. As with all of the Nancy Drew games, they are long so don't expect to finish it in one sitting, although we have found it so interesting that we have not wanted to stop!

SoHoGirl
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by SoHoGirl on Jan 19, 10 2:05 PM
I just finished the game and I loved it! It was well worth the credit I used and I would have paid the $6.99 if I had not had the credit. I liked the story line and it is a long game, which I like. It was a real challenge and I did have to use the walkthrough a few times....but ther graphics were really good. I loved when it was snowing outside and you got to go out in it!

I think anyone who had played Nancy Drew games would love this one and first timers will probably find it a fun.

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Jan 26, 10 4:53 PM
I really liked this game. I was wrong about the bad guy completely. It was challenging like all the Nancy Drew games but not to the point that you could not finish it. If you really got stuck you look the answer up online then smack yourself in the forehead for not thinking of the answer.
Also the game is not short so you get your money worth.
I love how big fish charges only 6.99 for this game.

badgernflash
Catfish
Catfish
1,706 Posts

[Post New]by badgernflash on Jan 31, 10 5:10 AM
this game rocks ! i keep gettin expelled but i really love it its not to hard but its hard enough to get you thinking. ive had to go to the forums a few times as i was stuck its fun breaking the rules though cos i was a good girl when i was at school x

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jan 31, 10 4:05 PM
Big ND fan, finally finished this one (I can't do much in one sitting) and must rate this as one of my faves. As usual I needed to consult the forums or walkthrough a few times, but that's the price of a challenging game, as long as it isn't too often, imo. It was generally just for a nudge in the right direction. The puzzles themselves were pretty much just as I like them.

I really enjoyed the diverse and obnoxious characters and dialog. It brought me back to young adult novel "drama" yet at the same time seemed to be making fun of "kids these days."

I also appreciate that it wasn't too dark. I generally prefer the lighter (in theme and color) adventures.

Loved it!!!!!

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Feb 24, 10 5:20 AM
Big fan of the ND games, and this was another great entry in the series. Setting was interesting and easy to navigate -- no long, complicated treks getting from one place to another, as in "White Wolf of Icicle Creek". Puzzles were of the same high quality we've come to expect from ND, with varying degrees of difficulty. For me, the hardest were realigning the cornerstone and figuring out the furnace levers in the cellar. Guess I wouldn't make a very good detective, as I had to consult the walkthrough several times.

Characters were very believable - the deep, artistic musician, the tomboyish athlete, the scholastic over-achiever, etc. All pretty self-absorbed and quick to take advantage of Nancy's willingness to do favors. Reminded me a lot of my own days in the dorm.

My only quibble would be that the game seemed shorter than usual. Also, it would add a lot of replay value to the ND games if players could access puzzles and mini-challenges (hockey, darts) from the main menu after completion. But aside from that, a real winner!

juhuwoorps
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by juhuwoorps on Mar 2, 10 12:24 PM
My review of this game;

Game play--
Although the storyline was interesting..I found it a little hard to follow..If she doesn't explain what happens...at the end..I may have ended it not really knowing..what it was i was chasing..more or less...It is indeed one of her longest games..I found..It took me quiet a while..I had to consult the walkthrough a few times with this one...lest u walk around for ages..looking for something..
A good thing..for those who may have found it difficult to maneuver in her earlier games--It's not near the maze..and not near the same amount of characters..You really only have 4-5 to deal with..

4/5

Puzzles--I had to consult the walkthrough with this one and a few of the puzzles..the hints were very obscure..I still didn't understand the star puzzle..and Thank God..I took a picture of the 50 states puzzle before..[Not sure if the game tells u to do that or not..I just happened to have done it..before i dissembled the bird] The puzzle falls apart..so u are left putting the pieces back together..The furnace puzzle was diffucult to see..The end puzzle with the round circles...I just got sick of being killed...so i went to the walkthrough for that one..The piano--walkthrough...who wants to learn piano in one day..And never mind the square piece puzzler on the building with dragging ..with right-clicking...Putting the websites together got to be a bit tedious-could b why the game is long~
There were some i did enjoy..ex; the Graphs, DNA wasn't too bad, Closet Door/room puzzle..Loved the table hockey..and darts..love the Snackbar.

3/5 for me..I've never had to look to a walkthrough for almost every puzzle in ND games..

Music; 4/5..I'ts fine..
Graphics...; They are definitely updated..and look great..

Overall...I would give this a 3/5 for ND game...Not my favorite one..It's almost as though they tried to out-do all of their other games with the puzzlers..so they made them rather obscure..If u are into figuring things out and reading alot..then u may love this game..I wasn't a step ahead on this one at all..myself..

3/5

Hope that helps some..Maybe others won't have to consult WT..but i did in this one..

Edited on 03/02/2010 at 12:33:48 PM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Mar 15, 10 3:51 PM
Update after finishing the game:

You don't really need so many merits since you can finish the whole game with zero demerits, ended up at +20.

Most games and puzzles are easy, some were kinda annoying. Still had to copy down the music notes. Consulted the walkthrough on the silverware puzzle - the forks and spoons were just too pixely to distinguish one from the other, especially since some were fairly even in size. Did not get the furnace puzzle.

Finished the game with 5 awards - never encountered Paige since I set the clock to 11:01 instead of 11:00.

Really liked the lunch game, air hockey, the logic trainer and the DNA. Could have done without the Squirrel Simon Says.

Like Moon Lake, not really a surprise who I will encounter in the showdown.

Edit: Nancy's comments after the credits were really funny, voice quality was great, and they notched up the videos quite a bit. However, the task list could maybe fade out ticked off tasks.

Edited on 03/16/2010 at 8:27:52 AM PST

vetchick
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by vetchick on Mar 25, 10 7:07 PM
I loved it! It was the first ND game I bought. I want more! I just don't know which of the older ones to get!

[Post New]by djfergy on Mar 29, 10 3:58 PM
bronte311 wrote:I got this game for Christmas and really enjoyed it--the puzzles were just hard enough for me to have to stop and think about them without being so obvious that the game became boring. (Though of course there were one or two where I had to consult the walkthrough--I always do with a Nancy Drew game!) As Laflamme said, the air hockey minigame is pretty fun.

There are more characters to interact than there are in most Nancy Drew games, which is nice. My only criticism would be that the game was a bit on the short side. If I hadn't stopped to play air hockey so much I think I could have gotten pretty close to the end in a single evening of play, which is much faster than I usually make it through a Nancy Drew game.

Can someone please tell me how to get into izzy's room and the classroom???? its annoying the crap outta me!!!!!!!

azjmarie
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by azjmarie on Apr 12, 10 10:32 PM
Loved it! I've played most of the Nancy Drew games and this one ranks as one of my favorites.

Go to: