Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Pirate Chronicles Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on May 14, 16 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 05/14/2016 at 7:49:07 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Pirate Chronicles Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on May 14, 16 3:13 AM
It doesn't seem like this was ever intended to be a "collector's" edition. Note: only a 60 minute trial period...probably thought people might finish the whole game in the 90 minute limit.
I will buy it anyway considering it is a colorful, cheerful, fairly different time management game than is usually offered and even though I've only played a few minutes, seems like fun. Plus it is on sale. I doubt I would purchase it for the full "collector's" price if that were the case. It also offers a relaxed mode which is necessary for many of us. Give it a try if you are a fan of the gathering of wood and berries and building things, plus other little treats.

midnyter5555
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by midnyter5555 on May 14, 16 3:25 AM

Edited on 05/14/2016 at 11:51:13 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 14, 16 4:10 AM
I beta tested this game quite some time ago. My initial reaction wasn't positive; it seemed like a poor man's 'Royal Envoy', lacking the sophistication and scope of that series. The 4 islands do change but not a great deal and the tasks are exactly the same, collect things and build things.

However the more I played it, the more I started to enjoy it! It does get quite challenging to achieve 3 flags and the play isn't as monotonous as it might appear. While the graphics aren't up to the standard of RE, they are clear and colourful. The power-ups appear randomly rather than the player choosing them; run faster, freeze time, sail faster and extra resources appeared in the demo.

There are some differences which I won't go into, so as not to spoil the game for others. Suffice to say they make this little game a lot more entertaining than it might seem. There are the stereotypical 'yo-ho-ho' and 'aye aye captain' comments from the workers which can't be be turned off but the tutorial, music and custom cursor can.

The downside for me was that you can't 'chain' tasks. The workers return home even if they're empty-handed, which is a waste of precious time. There are only two modes of play, relaxed and timed; even in relaxed mode you are playing against the clock but If the timer runs out you can still finish the level. However, I found it a lot easier if you locate all the treasures while letting the time run out. Let the level complete and then replay it; you don't have to collect the treasures again, which saves a huge amount of time!

Is it worth the CE price? I'm not sure that it is. I would expect more than 40 levels in a Collector's Edition but there are only 12 extra. I'm not interested in wallpapers and the SG is completely useless, apart from showing the location of the treasures. As an SE it's worth the price for me; I love these building type games but I just can't see what justifies the CE label. However the sale does bring the price down to just over the cost of the SE and I do love these games.....now I'm in a quandary

I had no warning from Avast or any other d/l issues and the demo played with no technical problems. Very old desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

ETA: I did buy it and it was worth every penny! Very addictive if like me you have to get three flags on every level! Almost there now but it's taken a lot of replays! What a great little game

Edited on 05/26/2016 at 1:36:37 AM PST

godfreygirl
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by godfreygirl on May 14, 16 6:04 AM
Sorry.....I posted this in the wrong place first.

I will NOT buy this game because you cannot click on the workers ahead of time to schedule tasks and this gets VERY irritating. I keep seeing that "your workers are busy" message and they are SLOW. This keeps me from buying this game. I think it's very cute....it would never be my favorite TM game, but it would be fun to add to my collection.

If the creators correct this, I would buy the next version. AND....why do they always seem to call these games "Collector's Edition"? There is NOTHING collector about it except that we have to PAY more for the game AND can't use a game credit on them. At the very least I would expect to be able to cue the workers ahead of time. NOPE!! I won't be buying this one.

I don't think calling every other game a CE so it costs more is very fair you your faithful fishes guys!!

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on May 14, 16 6:45 AM
I guess BFG know just how starved us TM lovers are
I come in every day hoping for a new good TM game and if one is out, yeah, I'm likely to want it, so why not make it a CE hmmm? lol
As I understand, standard version has 40 levels, while this CE has 12 extra levels and some wall papers? Okay... if it was just the wall papers, I'd probably wait, but once extra levels are included, even though 52 levels is hardly CE worth, I'm likely to not pass on such an option and get the CE.
This won't stop me from buying a good game I'm planing to enjoy (unless, unless, we had a lot more TM games to choose from, and not always resource management, I so miss good old TM games some days, cooking, farming... don't you? lol) AND we can buy it with the sale today or for 2 game credits, gives us 3 punches, is there still bonus punch Monday? lol

Anyway, yeah, seems nice enough to go on my "to buy" list, I like the pirate theme, the story part impressed me enough to believe some real effort was put in to it, and there are hidden treasures too, so looks nice enough to get (starving for TM games here...)
Oh and agreed about the "must return home even empty handed" thing - if it's just to clear an obstacle - they need to be able to collect the resource behind it without having to go back home first, but oh well, to me this isn't really a deal breaker (not sure what is? TM game yay!! lol )

Edited on 05/14/2016 at 6:49:36 AM PST

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on May 14, 16 7:48 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Pirate Chronicles Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Pirate Chronicles Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

[Post New]by Oldfashioned1 on May 14, 16 8:01 AM
I thought this was cute. As others commented on game play already, I won't say much except that I also like to chain tasks. The thing that irked me was that if you replayed a level to get a better score, there were less treasures to find (depending if you replayed even twice, no treasure at all) which made your score less. I think if you replay a level, it should be the same as before---tasks AND treasures.

BFFirefly
Clownfish
Clownfish
540 Posts

[Post New]by BFFirefly on May 14, 16 10:50 AM
Really liked the different strategies needed to get 3 skulls and a different take, pirates and the resources they might need, for this Time Management game. Disliked not being able to chain task. There is the opportunity to upgrade certain things within the game as you advance further. All in all, it was a fun game and 3 skulls on each level is not guaranteed for even the most savvy TM player. This will be a buy for me but I'll wait for the SE. JMHO but the Extras are not worth a CE price.

Argggh! Give it a try Mateys.

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on May 14, 16 3:48 PM
This would be a buy for me if it weren't for the fact that I can't chain tasks. It is exceedingly frustrating to have a worker head far across the map by boat to build something and not be able to have him pick up another thing on his way back.

midnyter5555
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by midnyter5555 on May 14, 16 8:53 PM
wow!!!! ce???? ummmm nope, shortest review ever,, to add,, 40 levels is standard,, even non ce.s at least have double level goals, making a 40 level game 80, ,many tm,s have things to find in a level, that are not ce,s this game is NOT ce worthy, 52 levels,, at twice the price,,,

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on May 14, 16 9:08 PM
I liked the demo but, as others have said, it doesn't seem like a CE. I'll probably buy it at some point, but even the current sale price is too high for this one. Next time there's a sale where CEs are $6.99 or so, maybe. If a CE is going to cost twice the price of an SE, there should be more content to make it worth the price - and wallpapers/concept art/etc aren't worth anything to me. In fact, I'd be happy to be able to delete that junk from the drive of my computer. The only things that matter to me are extra levels and collectibles and sometimes a strategy guide.

I did think there were some interesting twists to the standard collect and build time management games, but it is very annoying to not have the ability to chain actions.

[Post New]by MemorableMovies on May 15, 16 8:38 AM
I agree with the other comments. With no click ahead, it's a no buy for me. Once it started to irritate me, I deleted it. Also the only thing that seems to make it a "collector's edition" are the backgrounds. That's not worth the extra cost. If they fix the click ahead issue, I may buy the regular version, until then I will replay the fun ones I already have.

NANA5LOVE
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by NANA5LOVE on May 15, 16 9:53 AM
NO click ahead is a NO buy for me sorry

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on May 15, 16 11:19 PM
No click ahead and calling a regular game a CE are the negatives, but since there is rarely a time management building type of game offered I'll buy it anyway. I do like a lot of things about this game though. I sure wish we could get a new Royal Envoy game.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on May 16, 16 4:01 PM
I didn't mind this game, but like most other posters, the fact that I couldn't assign tasks was too frustrating. I got bored waiting for them to get back to the camp every time before I could click on the next tast, so "no buy" for me.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on May 16, 16 9:05 PM
I'm really having fun playing this game. I bought it as a CE. but will get a credit for it. I will look forward to more levels and will probably be sorry when I finish it.I finished the game and loved it! I did not need help from forum or strategy guide just a few brains. I really recommend to anyone. It had level after level and was very clever. I am sorry I finished it!

Edited on 05/25/2016 at 2:55:09 PM PST

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on May 17, 16 2:49 AM
NEW REVIEW: June 20th well..... I must've been TM starved because I have been playing this game again - I didnt get too far when I left this last blurb - and I'm annoyed at a lot of things. Same as everybody mentioned, & those features causing me to fail more often than I ever do in TM games. So those things plus the fact that the last thing I need is a wallpaper or screensaver.... yeck.
I have hundreds of games & have only ever taken advantage of those features that they consider worth paying extra for about 3 to 4 times, ever.

OLD REVIEW: (May 17th, 2016)
I think I will be happy with this game & its value since I bought it using a sale code for builder games. As I was going to the purchase screen & readying to enter the code, plus waiting to see if it'd take I found myself thinking....ehhh I don't think I would pay $15!!! for the full version of this game if this code does not work.

But luckily it did. There are not many games 'tall that I'd pay that much for unless I'd know ahead of time that they were of nice length (that means something like Westward Kingdoms & The Island Castaway where I get a good 20 hours or more out of em, & lots of replayability. ) It looks like the worker slowness thing might stop being an issue after some upgrades - hopefully.

Edited on 06/19/2016 at 10:49:37 PM PST

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on May 18, 16 5:18 AM
Firstly, I was gobsmacked by BF giving us TM game after literally weeks and weeks of nothing but HOG and M3.

I enjoyed this one straight away. It's not just a click-fest and you have to think logically where to build next. It's not an easy game as the levels develop, and I have had to start a couple of levels over again.
The graphics are only okay, as they seems a couple of years out of date and could be a bit better, but overall acceptable. The sound effects ("Aye Aye Captain") are mildly amusing. It's a very cute game.
Overall, a very good TM game. I hope there are sequels.

(Note to BF: It's annoying that you have to pay twice as much as it's only in "Collectors addition". I suspect the normal version will be available in a couple of weeks, when most people who wanted the game have already paid twice as much. Very unfair. Then, typically, a few days later, an offer is on for "half price games". Nasty tactics there, BF. I had two tokens (due to the lack of any TM games), so I used those. I would not have paid twice as much for the game. No doubt you'll delete this comment, mods.)

[Post New]by Oldfashioned1 on May 30, 16 8:02 AM
Although I do like to chain tasks, it does add an additional challenge to wait until the workers get back home. In some cases, it's better because I'll see something that I shouldn't have chained for. At first I wasn't thrilled with this game, but now I love it! It's clean, funny, and challenging without being totally frustrating. I also like looking for treasure. The mini games were fun too, all keeping in theme. The one thing I didn't like was that I couldn't undo a task once it was clicked on and one level where the berry bush was so close to the boat launch that I kept updating the launch when I wanted to pick berries for the kraken. I don't think it should have been a CE---who cares about wallpapers anyway?---and the standard 40 levels. If it's truly CE-worthy, it should have LOTS of extra play, mini games, and/or other challenges. That said, I do love this game and hope sequels follow!

Go to: