MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

Relaxed Mode?

[Post New]by MarkAlan on May 14, 16 12:49 AM
Is it just me or does enabling Relax mode make any difference.
I still see a timer and lose stars in the so-called "Relax Mode".

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Relaxed Mode?

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 14, 16 1:15 AM
Wild guess...relax mode means you can finish the level even though the time runs out but you get no stars?

I beta tested this game; it started off slowly but got better as it went on. Not many levels though; I'm surprised its a CE.

ETA: The worst thing is you get a slow ticking sound when the timer is starting to run out. And it gets faster and faster until you hear the dreaded 'clang' and your last flag disappears

Edited on 05/26/2016 at 1:33:54 AM PST

dotk88
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by dotk88 on May 14, 16 5:56 AM
I would really like the true relax mode.......with no timer please!

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on May 14, 16 7:56 AM
Dotk88,

I agree with you about preferring that developers offer an additional option of a TRUE relaxed mode with no timer for those who want it. The gamers who love trying to "beat the clock" in each round could still do that by chosing the timed mode.

It shouldn't matter to the developers how a buyer prefers to play. I would think that the volume of sales would be their main concern. And I, for one, avoid buying time management games unless they are set up so that I can play at my own speed and still be able to finish each level.

Classicaljazz

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on May 14, 16 3:50 PM
In the regular mode if the timer runs out the level ends and you need to replay it.

The Relaxed mode allows you to keep playing as long as you wish, you can completely ignore the timer.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on May 14, 16 6:50 PM
It's true that players can ignore the timer, but the feeling that leaves you with is "I got zero stars, therefore I failed." Some players won't care, but many do. I always try to get all the achievements in every game I play, so it really annoys me when any game offers an "untimed" mode that has a functional timer still ticking away.

I wish developers would realize that all types of people play these games - kids, adults, and seniors - lots and lots of seniors, actually, many of whom find themselves with reflexes that are beginning to slow down. And in all those groups are also many disabled people. They may be home or hospital bound with lots of free time to play games. They may also have disabilities that affect their speed or coordination. Playing these games can help them have some fun and relieve some of the stress, but not if the game can't be enjoyed in a way they can manage. For all those reasons, to give people an untimed mode that's still timed is a slap in the face. Yes, players can just choose to skip that game, but some of these games have otherwise excellent gameplay that people would really enjoy, if only they weren't being timed.

If developers want to maximize their games' sales, they shouldn't be lazy about the game options they offer. If they offer untimed, make it truly untimed. Their other choice is to just make the game timed, and to let those who like timed games be their only customers. They'll just sell more games if they take the first path.

[Post New]by kynosmacrame on May 15, 16 10:12 AM
burf90 wrote:It's true that players can ignore the timer, but the feeling that leaves you with is "I got zero stars, therefore I failed." Some players won't care, but many do. I always try to get all the achievements in every game I play, so it really annoys me when any game offers an "untimed" mode that has a functional timer still ticking away.

I wish developers would realize that all types of people play these games - kids, adults, and seniors - lots and lots of seniors, actually, many of whom find themselves with reflexes that are beginning to slow down. And in all those groups are also many disabled people. They may be home or hospital bound with lots of free time to play games. They may also have disabilities that affect their speed or coordination. Playing these games can help them have some fun and relieve some of the stress, but not if the game can't be enjoyed in a way they can manage. For all those reasons, to give people an untimed mode that's still timed is a slap in the face. Yes, players can just choose to skip that game, but some of these games have otherwise excellent gameplay that people would really enjoy, if only they weren't being timed.

If developers want to maximize their games' sales, they shouldn't be lazy about the game options they offer. If they offer untimed, make it truly untimed. Their other choice is to just make the game timed, and to let those who like timed games be their only customers. They'll just sell more games if they take the first path.

[Post New]by kynosmacrame on May 15, 16 10:16 AM
I do agree with you, entirely ; i am myself a senior, love the TM games, an i do try to buy all of them ; but as you say, reflexes and sight are not the same for everyone.
"to each his own" is a really good thought ; the developers don't really care ; anyway, thank you for thinking of everybody !!

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on May 15, 16 10:14 PM
Yes, it's a cute game, but it's downright dishonest to claim that there's a relaxed mode when we still have to stress out about finishing on time to get all the stars.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 16, 16 12:26 AM
I completely agree about the relaxed mode not being "relaxing" at all.

I too get annoyed when I choose Relaxed mode and still see the timer. It just distracts me from my gameplay.
Also, in other TM games we usually get 3 gold stars anyway when playing relaxed mode and the timer is shown, but this doesn't seem to be the case with this game.

Relaxed mode should have no visible timer !!

Faunie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Faunie on May 17, 16 1:25 PM
yes another one i wont be buying - 2 reasons the not really relaxed mode and the inability to chain tasks for your workers

[Post New]by TheLadyNala on May 20, 16 7:36 AM
Ditto on all of the above comments. I play these games as a form of stress relief, not much relief when playing beat the clock. I've made it to Level 3-10 thus far I've played it 5 times and can't beat the timer to finish. The characters are so slow going up and down all the ladders, even when you're lucky enough to get a speed boost I can't finish the level so I can't move on. Not sure I want to restart the whole game just to go to relax mode when it won't matter.

zara137
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by zara137 on Jul 9, 16 8:29 AM
Maybe it's a glitch and the developer's messed up in the execution of the programming. I hate it too and was very surprised and irritated that I could not play relaxed. I usually play timed unless I have some rough areas in a game, then I like to play relaxed to work through them or to just get a feel for the game at first.

[Post New]by thebutcher1216 on Nov 24, 16 5:37 PM
I agree it says take all the time you need and then you still loose it is needing to be fixed

cdnmsmom
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by cdnmsmom on Jan 18, 17 8:29 PM
Time management games are my favorite. I've bought dozens and dozens of them in the past 8 or so years. (Probably more than that, to be honest). I have M.S., though, and my reflexes aren't what they used to be.

If I'd known this game's 'relaxed mode' wasn't a true relaxed mode before I bought it I don't think I would have made the purchase. I do enjoy the game but the timer ticking away when I KNOW I'm not going to do well is SO frustrating to me.

It really makes the game less enjoyable.

Go to: